• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "Little Big Planet is very cool"

Speevy

Banned
I wish MS had something like HOME or LBP, but the 360 game lineup will absolutely destroy the PS3 one in sales this year. It's not even fair.

v1cious

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
That's funny, because from these seats it just looks like they are trying to rape the consumer before the other one can.

i agree. two companies making games that blow away what anyone could have possibly imagined 10 years ago totally equates to rape. we should all stay in the stone age.

Speevy said:
I wish MS had something like HOME or LBP, but the 360 game lineup will absolutely destroy the PS3 one in sales this year. It's not even fair.

What I'd really like to see is some kind of simplified XNA Studio type thing on 360 that lets you create all kinds of games. That would be a real 'Youtube for games'.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
That's funny, because from these seats it just looks like they are trying to rape the consumer before the other one can.

...it isn't rape when you invite them into your bed.

Barnolde

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Maybe he's talking about all of the 360 multiplayer games that are only hot for a couple weeks and then nobody plays them anymore.

Even then one wonders why PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero are still up there.

EDIT: Oh wow Call of Duty 2 is still up there :lol . Dunno why Oblivion and Hexic are there but whatever.

That's to date (read: irrelevant), Oblivion is there because it's Live Aware, this is top activity for the week:
Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (UU’s)
1 Gears of War
2 Crackdown
3 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
4 Call Of Duty 3
5 Alien Hominid HD
6 GRAW 2 MP Demo
7 Worms
8 Madden NFL 07
9 Oblivion
10 Lost Planet

Confidence Man said:
What I'd really like to see is some kind of simplified XNA Studio type thing on 360 that lets you create all kinds of games. That would be a real 'Youtube for games'.

I think it needs to happen within games. Even what you're describing is just RPG Maker. If Viva Pinata was truly online enabled, that would have been a really great step in the right direction. If they were smart, they'd work on just fulfilling that vision, and the expectations that were already there.

But I don't think what you're describing, with no graphical framework, would end up with anything but 98% garbage. The beauty of LBP is that it's all working off the same beautifully rendered building blocks.

Well played, Microsoft. You could made up some marketing bullshit to deny Little Big Planet's awesomeness, instead you tell the truth. Well played.

v1cious said:
damn, i thought Lost Planet would be more popular online

I have to say, Lost Planet has not shown the kind of legs I was expecting it to. I think the demo dropped at a very opportune time, and it was an oasis in a significant drought. It hit retail, however, in a very different landscape. However, the different landscape also makes just being in the top 10 a significant accomplishment.

Also, those charts are just for games being played when people are signed into Live and has NOTHING to do with multiplayer popularity.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But I don't think what you're describing, with no graphical framework, would end up with anything but 98% garbage.

Exactly. Youtube for games. :)

Seriously though, they could put all kinds of assets on a disc for people to use. Include templates for things like scrolling shooters, or platformers, or whatever, and let people go wild. Basically like RPG maker, only it's an Any Simple Game Maker (within limits of course).

Confidence Man said:
Exactly. Youtube for games. :)

Seriously though, they could put all kinds of assets on a disc for people to use. Include templates for things like scrolling shooters, or platformers, or whatever, and let people go wild. Basically like RPG maker, only it's an Any Simple Game Maker (within limits of course).

Oh I think it's doable, of course. But LBP's genius is consistency and coherence of design. It's appealing to me because, on the most basic level, the art design is exquisite, and the graphic design is impeccable (check out the game's website and the in-game "Start" and "Finish" signs). I don't see how you'd be able to sustain that in the scenario you're talking about.

Barnolde

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, those charts are just for games being played when people are signed into Live and has NOTHING to do with multiplayer popularity.

But it does show the "fad-nature" of many 360 games, they just don't have legs. Lots of hype, lots of sales, popular for a little while, people move onto the next thing, etc.

Speevy

Banned
Am I missing something about Little Big Planet? I mean, I'm willing to concede that it's as awesome as any other video game out there but...

Isn't it a 2D platformer that you can customize and play co-op online?

I mean, games do have a lifespan, even ones like Halo 2.

Barnolde said:
But it does show the "fad-nature" of many 360 games, they just don't have legs. Lots of hype, lots of sales, popular for a little while, people move onto the next thing, etc.

Well, to be fair, I think that describes most games and even movies. Games that stick are far more rare than games that don't. I guess unless your name is Nintendo. But they're tricky about that.

Speevy

Banned
Barnolde said:

Well, a million is more than most games can expect to sell, so I think people are just hungry for next-gen content in popular genres.

J-Rzez

Speevy said:

Most definetly... Potentially great titles, given great titles like Halo 3... Wayyyy larger install base, yes, definetly...

But, I'm just glad we're getting some potentially great stuff from Sony within the first year of their console launch... Usually they were slower, much much slower... I mean, Resistance really is an AAA-title, for launch! Motorstorm, F1, VF5 were great titles... Warhawk, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted all look great... DMC4 and especially the new Rachet, you KNOW that's gonna be a great AAA title...

JCBossman

Banned
I agree level editors are the shit, FARCRY for Xbox had the BEST one I've ever seen.Not everone want's to mess around a GAME maker like XNA, way too complacated.Now if HALO 3 comes out with a "Farcry" style editor....LOOKOUT

J-Rzez said:
Most definetly... Potentially great titles, given great titles like Halo 3... Wayyyy larger install base, yes, definetly...

But, I'm just glad we're getting some potentially great stuff from Sony within the first year of their console launch... Usually they were slower, much much slower... I mean, Resistance really is an AAA-title, for launch! Motorstorm, F1, VF5 were great titles... Warhawk, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted all look great... DMC4 and especially the new Rachet, you KNOW that's gonna be a great AAA title...

Yeah, game-wise Sony's really got their shit together with the PS3. I seriously think if they had come out of the gate at $399/$499 things would be very, very different right now.

szaromir

Banned
Barnolde said:
You've just pretty much described all console games, maybe aside from Halo 2 and FF XI.

Barnolde

Banned
Speevy said:
Well, a million is more than most games can expect to sell, so I think people are just hungry for next-gen content in popular genres.

Or ADD and too much money to spend. There are starving kids in Africa, hungry for food, you monster.

Speevy said:

I just do not see it.
I mean, they can throw in a halo 3 beta invite in a few more titles to help but I just do not see the outstanding line up.
I see Halo 3 which yes it will sell small countries but is not a line up unto itself.

J-Rzez

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, game-wise Sony's really got their shit together with the PS3. I seriously think if they had come out of the gate at $399/$499 things would be very, very different right now.

Oh yeah, without a doubt, definetly... especially if the 20Gb model was more abundant...

Speevy said:
Am I missing something about Little Big Planet? I mean, I'm willing to concede that it's as awesome as any other video game out there but...

Are you talking about the lifespan of LBP? I'm sure it'll have a lifespan as well... and one can hope it has the lifespan of H2 as it's still the most heavily played game on the 360, which, ironically, is an XBOX game...

The user generated content is what would keep LBP alive... and not just stuff made by other users or scenes from the makers... but there's potential that they could get levels done by say other companies thrown in there for fun like Insomniac, Naughty Dog, etc, etc... People would go crazy for that stuff, it loosely generates hype for said company, and the creators of LBP will be happy that the title still has it's lust-factor and long-term interest...

Throw that in which may just be the most impressive graphics seen to date on a console, along with incredibly fun physics, and fun gameplay, it could have long legs...

LJ11

BenjaminBirdie said:
I have to say, Lost Planet has not shown the kind of legs I was expecting it to. I think the demo dropped at a very opportune time, and it was an oasis in a significant drought. It hit retail, however, in a very different landscape. However, the different landscape also makes just being in the top 10 a significant accomplishment.

Lost Planet wasn't a very good game IMO. The online lobby was pretty bad, you had about 10 seconds to get your friends over to the same side. If the lobby system was better, people would have probably played it a bit longer, at least until they realized it wasn't very good.

Ike said:
They are both being compare because they are game creators that look high quality. And the reason that LPB is looking more accessible is the ability to do this with a partner for an almost endless game.

Did you not read his post. Do you even understand what it takes to create a game. LBP is not a "game creator". Its a platformer that allows you to edit and create levels on the fly. XNA is a coding toolset to actually create games themselves. What part of that are you not understanding.

Speevy

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
I just do not see it.
I mean, they can throw in a halo 3 beta invite in a few more titles to help but I just do not see the outstanding line up.
I see Halo 3 which yes it will sell small countries but is not a line up unto itself.

You're right.

1) Forza 2
2) Halo 3
3) Mass Effect
4) Bioshock
5) Blue Dragon
6) Lost Odyssey
7) Command and Conquer 3
8) Shadowrun
9) Guitar Hero 2
10) Too Human

Those are just off the top of my head, picking games that are not on the PS3 and that will probably sell. Then you take into account what's already released and sold well, like Lost Planet and most probably Crackdown (by a degree greater than LP)

Then you have multiplatform blockbusters that could possibly (and most probably will) outsell their PS3 counterparts.

1) GRAW 2 (timed exclusive)
2) Assassin's Creed
3) Virtua Tennis 3
4) Virtua Fighter 5
5) Burnout 5
6) Def Jam: Icon
7) NBA Street Homecourt
8) Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
9) What's that game called...um, Grand Theft something
10) Army of Two

I could keep making lists if you like.

1) Kane and Lynch
2) Medal of Honor: Airborne
3) SKATE
4) Unreal Tournament 3
5) Madden/NCAA Football
6) GTR2
7) Huxley
8) Two Worlds
9) Culdcept Saga
10) Stranglehold
11) The Darkness
12) Sega Rally Revo
13) The Club
14) Spiderman 3
15) Armored Core 4
16) Call of Duty 3 Gold
17) EDF 2017
18) Frontlines: Fuel of War
19) Turok
20) Dark Sector
21) Battlefield: Bad Company
22) Haze
23) Project Silpheed
24) Fatal Inertia
25) Colin Mcrae Rally 07

Hyjinx

Ike said:
Damn straight it's cool. It's far more accessible than XNA

HUH? How are you comparing a development kit to a game?

Edit: Oh, he's talking about the level builder. Well in that case you can't compare the two, one is a limited streamlined interface for that specific game. The other is a development kit where the possibilities are endless pretty much. You just have to have the know-how and the will to build it.

xaosslug

Speevy said:
You're right.

1) Forza 2
2) Halo 3
3) Mass Effect
4) Bioshock
5) Blue Dragon
6) Lost Odyssey
7) Command and Conquer 3
8) Shadowrun
9) Guitar Hero 2
10) Too Human

Those are just off the top of my head, picking games that are not on the PS3 and that will probably sell. Then you take into account what's already released and sold well, like Lost Planet and most probably Crackdown (by a degree greater than LP)

Then you have multiplatform blockbusters that could possibly (and most probably will) outsell their PS3 counterparts.

1) GRAW 2 (timed exclusive)
2) Assassin's Creed
3) Virtua Tennis 3
4) Virtua Fighter 5
5) Burnout 5
6) Def Jam: Icon
7) NBA Street Homecourt
8) Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
9) What's that game called...um, Grand Theft something
10) Army of Two

I could keep making lists if you like.

um... there are a bunch of massively hyped, exclusive PS3 games coming out before Summer alone, not to mention Fall. But yeah, whatever, I've no list, so you win the List Wars. :p

Pusha

Banned
Speevy said:
You're right.

As was the case with the 360, the growing population of the PS3's base will find themselves starving for fresh offerings, which will most likely fuel software sales that could top what we observe on the 360.

OokieSpookie said:
I just do not see it.

And you don't see Mass Effect and GHII? Just to name two? You have to see those. And your attempt to downplay the awesomeness of Crackdown is sad and is discounted by its boisterous and thriving thread on this board.

Sad.

Pusha

Banned
Speevy said:

I think most people are being a bit dishonest in their praise of Little Big Planet. They harp on the unique design and the ability to develop and distribute our own worlds with it. But a huge, albeit superficial, draw is the fact that the game's graphics obliterate anything we've seen. I mean, no one here can name a single game on either system that is as technically stunning. Like some have said, the game looks "real," when in motion.

Pusha said:
As was the case with the 360, the growing population of the PS3's base will find themselves starving for fresh offerings, which will most likely fuel software sales that could top what we observe on the 360.

One would imagine it would need a better tie ratio to start with at launch, as 360 had.

As far as crackdown goes, as soon as the run with the beta invite is gone the game will flatline.

1) Forza 2
2) Halo 3 Given
3) Mass Effect Hype but nothing solid as of yet
4) Bioshock could be good, will be better on pc, pretty much known to be on PS3 later
5) Blue Dragon Will not do the numbers that it did in Japan
6) Lost Odyssey Fluff
7) Command and Conquer 3 will be better on pc
8) Shadowrun Better on pc and really looking crappy as of yet
9) Guitar Hero 2 a Given
10) Too Human one screen shot a year peeks out, and will be better on pc

1) GRAW 2 (timed exclusive) ye and PC and then PS3
2) Assassin's Creed PS3 also
3) Virtua Tennis 3 Yep PS3
4) Virtua Fighter 5 Yep been playing it for a bit now
5) Burnout 5
6) Def Jam: Icon You cant be serious.....
7) NBA Street Homecourt also on PS3
8) Mercenaries 2: World in Flames PS3 is the lead system on this one
9) What's that game called...um, Grand Theft something Yeah, the same one on the PS3 right?
10) Army of Two also on PS3..

BenjaminBirdie said:
And you don't see Mass Effect and GHII? Just to name two? You have to see those. And your attempt to downplay the awesomeness of Crackdown is sad and is discounted by its boisterous and thriving thread on this board.

Sad.

GH2 will do bank, though I think Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot by stalling on a wireless controller.

Mass effect does nothing for me as of yet.
When I play a demo I may be convinced.

xaosslug

Pusha said:
I think most people are being a bit dishonest in their praise of Little Big Planet. They harp on the unique design and the ability to develop and distribute our own worlds with it. But a huge, albeit superficial, draw is the fact that the game's graphics obliterate anything we've seen. I mean, no one here can name a single game on either system that is as technically stunning. Like some have said, the game looks "real," when in motion.

actually, that's true, to a point. When I initially saw the trailer for LBP, as I've said before, I was very impressed. But, when I saw its keynote demo segment... my mind was completely blown, jaw on the floor, I sold my soul for a seat on the official Hype Train.

NinSoX

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
As far as crackdown goes, as soon as the run with the beta invite is gone the game will flatline.

3) Mass Effect Hype but nothing solid as of yet Just ignore what many publications have been saying about this one
5) Blue Dragon Will not do the numbers that it did in Japan Based on what?
6) Lost Odyssey Fluff Unsure about this myself

8) Mercenaries 2: World in Flames PS3 is the lead system on this one Oh does that mean the PS3 version will be better?

OokieSpookie said:
GH2 will do bank, though I think Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot by stalling on a wireless controller.

Mass effect does nothing for me as of yet.
When I play a demo I may be convinced.

Look, I see why you took umbrage with the initial statement of Xbox soft outselling PS3 soft this year, but due to the install base it logically follows that it would. But your response, and every ensuing post you've made along this line of discussion, only demonstrates how blind you are to anything but your own personal biased tastes.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Look, I see why you took umbrage with the initial statement of Xbox soft outselling PS3 soft this year, but due to the install base it logically follows that it would. But your response, and every ensuing post you've made along this line of discussion, only demonstrates how blind you are to anything but your own personal biased tastes.

You are probably right.
Install base does make for a very tricky read.
We will just have to see how it plays out.
I am just a gamer who likes games, right now I am just liking the variety on the PS3 and Wii a bit more right now.

Speevy

Banned
Btw, these multiconsole games aren't "also on PS3". They comprise the backbone of the PS3 lineup (like all multiconsole releases do for every console)

Most of them are being developed with the 360 in mind though, and the most recent demonstration of Mercs 2 was the 360 version. Guess all that time on the PS3 version wasn't enough to produce the latest demo?

v1cious said:
damn, i thought Lost Planet would be more popular online
it's a mantra i keep rolling out but here is something i have observed.

for the most part (mmporpg aside) it seems to me that the popularity of an online game has a lot to do with how good it's single player is. a game with awesome single player and half way decent multiplayer will be more popular online than one with half way decent single player and awesome multiplayer.

gears and lost planet are just another example of that.

White Man

Ike said:
They are both being compare because they are game creators that look high quality. And the reason that LPB is looking more accessible is the ability to do this with a partner for an almost endless game.

Yes, programming tools and an IDE are exactly the same thing as LBP.

And yes, in case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. LBP and XNA are about as similar as a boot and a severed foot.

Top Bottom