• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "Little Big Planet is very cool"

Wollan

No. It has pretty much the most advanced and smoothest level editor ever seen in a console game. It evens supports 'cooperative mode' when creating levels. Levels you can share with everyone over the PlayStation Network. Besides that it's a 'sidescroller' completely without death and enemies but totally physics and puzzle based with incredible music and with visuals close to a Pixar movie.

alterego

m0dus said:
Er, the game looks very good, but I think the best thing here is to avoid all manner of hyperbole at this point. Pixar meshes are complex on a level unattainable in a realtime-scenario, to say nothing of the 16x AA, radiosity lighting and mind-bogglingly complex particle and atmospheric effects.

the STYLE is certainly reminiscent of Pixar, if that's what you meant.

I've read developer comments labelling that as near enough Pixar quality graphical fidelity.
I think this is the first time you could use the term "Toy Story graphics" and it not be ridiculous.

I'm sure everyone knows it's not actually doing things on the level of a Pixar movie but it's definitely the closest I've ever seen a game get to the ideal of looking like something that has been made in real-life and then filmed with a video-camera.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
m0dus said:
And you're daft if you think I'm attempting to "downplay" it by offering an absolutely valid comparison. Though, if you want me to be condescending, I'd be happy to make the effort. I hadn't realized that you'd chosen to take personal issue with someone else's opinion of a piece of software, irrespective of the fact that said opinion isn't negative in any way. And as far as comparisons go, the style goes a great deal further toward giving someone the 'impression' of a pixar movie than the number of triangles used.

Not to point fingers, but, you were the one claiming wollan was full of hyperbole. The technical comparison wasn't even warranted. It is the closest thing we have to a pixar movie, and it does look like a stop motion film: even if it is because of the style and not necessarily the polygon count(which isn't true, because that helps out as well).

alterego

m0dus said:
And you're daft if you think I'm attempting to "downplay" it by offering an absolutely valid comparison. Though, if you want me to be condescending, I'd be happy to make the effort. I hadn't realized that you'd chosen to take personal issue with someone else's opinion of a piece of software, irrespective of the fact that said opinion isn't negative in any way. And as far as comparisons go, the style goes a great deal further toward giving someone the 'impression' of a pixar movie than the number of triangles used.

I edited that comment out. It was unnecessarily confrontational and what you said was actually not incorrect.

I don't agree with your final paragraph here though. It's not the style or triangles that sets this apart. It's not the triangles or style that sets Toy Story apart. It's the lighting. Take a single character in Toy Story and we've already got lots of games with more complex models. It's the true Global Illumination in Toy Story that makes all the toys look real and as though they belong in their environment.

It's that quality that LBP has managed to emulate very well.

alterego said:
I've read developer comments labelling that as near enough Pixar quality graphical fidelity.
I think this is the first time you could use the term "Toy Story graphics" and it not be ridiculous.

I'm sure everyone knows it's not actually doing things on the level of a Pixar movie but it's definitely the closest I've ever seen a game get to the ideal of looking like something that has been made in real-life and then filmed with a video-camera.
Obviously you never played Kameo.

Wollan said:
No. It has pretty much the most advanced and smoothest level editor ever seen in a console game. It evens supports 'cooperative mode' when creating levels. Levels you can share with everyone over the PlayStation Network. Besides that it's a 'sidescroller' completely without death and enemies but totally physics and puzzle based with incredible music and with visuals close to a Pixar movie.

no enemies? sounds like a blast

Hammer24 said:
I´d still say, Viva Pinata plays in the same league...

they are different, viva pinata has more expansive 3d environments, but I think LBP definitely has far more cg like visuals...Kameo? More expansive, definitely not cg like visuals at all.

peace

teiresias said:
Judging by your posts recently I can't say this is surprising.

Yeah I know Xbot-xtreme lately right? Or has my Sony-indifference suddenly turned to Sony-hatred?
Sorry if platformers with no death and no enemies aren't my cup of tea. 1991 era Sonic Team and Nintendo could join up and develop a platformer but if they don't have those two elements I just can't bring myself to be interested.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It's a strange mix between hyperbole and trolling in here. I think this is a great concept, presumably as it's all physics based new packs will be able to add elements that can totally change the way the game is played, like motors, levels, etc, etc. Some talented people will make excellent challenges for it I have no doubt. But I guarantee 95% of the downloadable content will be trash. The challenge for the developers will be helping the users pick out the good stuff (that challenge goes way beyond just having rankings).

cliffbo

LBP is not simply a side way scrolling game, its a playground of physics driven toys and accessories. for instance you could make a jet pack game. clearly in that vid we see chains holding the jetpack because they are making it impossible to take them with you to the next screen or puzzle. take those chains off and you can see the potential. take a plank and four cogs, attach a jetpack and you have a vehicle to race in. remember its physics driven. we have seen just a fraction of its potential, and that fraction was better than anything else we have seen so far.

Top Bottom