• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

rjc571

Banned
So can we still call it the Xbone? It still applies to the pricetag, the forced Kinect, the Live subscription fee, the DLC price gouging, the shoddy build quality of their hardware and controllers...

Elios83

Great news, it proves that consumers win over multi billion dollars corporations.
Still this is an unprecedented PR mess which throws away whatever vision they had just a few months before launch, family sharing is dead and I don't think we're going to hear more about the infinite power of the cloud LOL.
I also hope that this won't make like harder for those developers who were counting on certain features at launch.

Ridesh

Banned
iwWSQxEikWxqN.gif

Thank you famousmortimer.

I'm still buying PS4 first, but give me the version without Kinect

KissVibes

Banned
petermolydeux ‏@PeterMolydeux

Maybe one day people will put the same amount of effort they've been putting into arguing about DRM into demanding more creative games

haha...oh wow.

He isn't wrong.

Consumers dictate the output of publishers. Always and forever. Everyone should kiss EAs ass that they're making a new Mirror's Edge when it'll probably bomb like the first one did.

Gold Member
Well they got there eventually, which is great news. This just goes to show that your voices can be heard if you shout loud enough and that you should never just sit there and shuttup if you're not happy.

It's still too pricey for me (in the UK), although I will likely pick one up further down the line when is had a price cut or two.

Well done MS - You could have saved yourselves a world of pain and R&D if you hadn't tried this shit in the first place though :)

Nokterian

Also big applaus for Angry Joe. He did a phenomenal job standing on nelson toes at E3. Takes a lot of guts to ask hard questions and well he did it since he is like me and other gamers,we want anwsers and no bullcrap pr talk.

Remember that fucking Edge article about the PS4 eventually adding DRM just like the Xbone. Sony only chose no DRM for the PR.

fucking LOL

Edge should be banned.

Ricker

I knew it,for me it was obvious as soon as PS4 announced the no DRM stuff that Microsoft had to follow,it was suicide not to do so...time to pre-order a X1 also now,or switch my pre-order if I decide to only get one at launch,might go X1 instead of PS4...not sure though damn...

Hero

Glad to hear this. At least Sony doesn't get defaulted this entire upcoming console generation now though they'll probably still win it. Still have to be angry at MS since it's probably just a matter of time until they try it again.

This happened because we made noise. Every single one of you that made noise - you won. Everyone that said "be quiet and wait for details" - you were wrong.

Good job to everyone. Videogaming saved for everyone.

MODS get this man a tag! He literally caused this! rofl This man deserves the status of mod or something for this. You're amazing, famousmortimer.

OT, could not have believed it was actually real. Lol, my computer literally blue-screened the moment it happened. So I boot it up again to find Gaf has exploded. Glorious day.

Limanima

haha, what a fail.
MS had to take it back, or else the XBone would bomb. Now, the last thing they need to do: remove the Kinect and lower the price to PS4 levels.

anddo0

It's funny because I was thinking about this today. I thought all they have to do is drop DRM and the price to be on some what even footing with PS4.. Although one is easier done than the other. I wouldn't hold my breath on a price drop. If they drop the price, I may get both. The DRM was never a big deal to me.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
They could've made the library sharing thing opt-in

just goes to show how poorly thought out these policies were/are

This fucking sucks!

No more sharing
No more installing and not needing the disc
No more instant game switching

Thank a lot internet rage, you suck.

Now I have to choose between buying everything digitally so I don't need disc or I have to buy discs if I want to share games with my family which I'll likely either never get back or I'll get it back with scratches and fingerprints.

Really disappointed right now.

June 20th: Microsoft announces it will re-reverse it's stance on DRM; reinstates online check-in and restriction on used games.

I have to admit X1 being region free similar to the PS3 is a big surprise to me, even the 360 was slightly restricted. i know a few overseas friends will be happy about that.

Demon Ice

Banned
Are MMOs bullshit when you can play single player games without internet? What does not requiring internet have to do with the legitimacy of internet enabled features?

He's talking about the claims that the cloud would enhance physics / AI / lighting vs playing offline.

Which everybody who knows even the slightest bit about how technology works knew right away was PR bullshit.

Well done everyone. I only got involved in some Facebook word of mouth - but to those of you who set up twitter campaigns etc. Thank you.

As for the Xbox. A friend of mine stated that "Microsoft will change it at some point" and I said - "yes, but the fact that they wanted to do it means that it'll likely happen again". So my PS4 Preorder remains, and I continue to wait on the Xbox.

If Microsoft announce a price decrease prior to release - I may change my launch console simple for Forza and Titanfall.... But that's unlikely.

entremet

This happened because we made noise. Every single one of you that made noise - you won. Everyone that said "be quiet and wait for details" - you were wrong.

Good job to everyone. Videogaming saved for everyone.
What a roller coaster ride. Props for your leadership. Well deserved.

spookyfish

And game sharing was just an idea. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts they hadn't even worked out how that would actually happen.

It was a reactionary move, mentioned on the last day of E3. I firmly believe they never planned to actually give that to you.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I'm completely stunned that all our feedback has actually changed so much.

Absolutely fantastic news for us all.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Microsoft were looking so stubborn in the face of criticism. The preorder numbers must have freaked them out to make them change their policies so drastically.

J-Man

Awesome! Now I'll probably eventually be able to buy one once enough well reviewed exclusives library is built. I'm still sticking with my PS4 pre-order, I'm more of a playstation gamer, and the $100 less and better specs make it more worthwhile for me. Still, good day for gamers.

I can only assume pre-orders for PS4 were much higher than XB1 at this point, and maybe gamestop also applied some pressure.

sangreal

The play without a disk feature.

And the cloud I guess since games no longer require regular or always-on Internet connection.

I'm sure some games will require always-on internet connection (it was never a system-wide requirement). MMOs, Titanfall, etc

Top Bottom