• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

Akira

Sometimes Twitter can be beautiful...

iS4b5AB2KU0vX.jpg

Reallink

I personally think this has less to do with public outcry and more to do with someone finally running the numbers on "Family Sharing" and realizing its potential to be FAR more damaging than freely allowing used/rental. My guess is Family Sharing was a knee jerk reaction to minimize all the negative PR and no one really sat down and thought it through. Once they saw people setting up sharing threads and shit I think it hit them, what the fuck did we do?

Seda

This is good for everybody, no way to spin that. However, obviously this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

I will actually consider eventually getting an Xbox One now. Not at launch however, and not until there are a few worthwhile exclusive games I want to play. That may never happen, who knows.

Ultimatum

Banned
Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Oh for fuck sakes. Give me back DRM, the one thing I wanted out of next gen was to not have to swap disks all the time.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
The one feature I liked about Xbox One was installing the game to the HDD and being able to play without the disc. With the DRM gone doubt this will be an option.

Young Magus

Even though I'm not interested in the xbox one, I gotta give my respect and credit where its due. Good call MS.

Good job GAF, we all made history. Without our voices and concerns, we would have sit by a watched loyal customers get screwed. Goes to show that anything can happen.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What an amazing day. I'll never forget it. It has been one hell of a ride.

I'm glad MS realised its console was going to tank with that DRM bull and turned it around.

Still great news! I'll be owning an Xbox One at some point in the future if this policy doesn't change.

Preorders must of really sucked because Microsoft looks like it's on the defensive now.

operon

Pity about the family game sharing, was nice esp with my brothers a 5 hour drive away. and I've been busy practising with using the kinect to launch fable 3 for never having to swap discs

As someone who doesn't trade in games, I was really looking forward to family sharing. They just marketed this thing all wrong. Start off with "you will be able to share your games with friends" instead of having "no used games" be your damn leak.

Also, "family sharing" was a terrible f-ing name for this thing.

Tymerend

This is not terribly surprising. The surprising part was MS hanging onto the DRM stuff so hard for as long as it actually did.

I won't be getting one, I don't enjoy Kinect and the PS4 is still a hundred bucks cheaper, but I am rather glad they did this. It'll be competitive, and competition in the market is only a good thing.

marrec

Banned
This is fantastic news!

Now we need to know who was responsible for the decision to implement this in the first place.

Eric C

GOOD they got rid of that stupid 24 hour check.

Now just let everyone unplug the Kinect if they want it unplugged, and drop the price by $100

Muffdraul

Damn, I was really looking forward to a next generation that actually felt like "the Next Generation."

Ah, well. There's always the next next generation...

Ifrit

Amazing news, might consider getting an xbone after all, I'm so happy I don't have to miss on the exclusives which looked great :)

Still preferring the PS3 due to price, now MS offer a cheaper console without kinect and feel the fear of your rival.

Man, next gen is already crazy and it hasn't even begun

SRTtoZ

So how long until the Kinect free version for $399?

Its inevitable. Their future plans for the XB1 went right out the window so most likely will their dream of everyone using Kinect. I'm guessing there will be a version at launch or shortly after launch without Kinect for $399 and ill be first in line to grab one.

Oh my God this is so amazing. Thank you, I didn't want to miss out on Forza and Sunset Overdrive. So amazing gamers won.

PS4 is still my prime console now, $100 cheaper, more diverse lineup, more powerful, and they were with gamers from the start (on top of being unable to trust MS now), but Microsoft has now earned the right to be in my house again at some point this gen and I can't wait to play the games I would have missed up until that point :D

Feep

Banned
Man, when's the last time a bunch of consumer voices were able to bring about this kind of change? SOPA/PIPA, I guess, but I think someone similar was passed a year later anyway to much less fanfare.

Klocker

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

bullshit is bullshit... damnit..

Top Bottom