• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This fucking sucks!

No more sharing
No more installing and not needing the disc
No more instant game switching

Thank a lot internet rage, you suck.

Now I have to choose between buying everything digitally so I don't need disc or I have to buy discs if I want to share games with my family which I'll likely either never get back or I'll get it back with scratches and fingerprints.

Really disappointed right now.

LETS START A MOVEMENT!

#XboxBringBackDRM #XboxDoA360

Congrats, guys. We did it.

All this means, however, is that I'll be picking up an Xbox One 6 years into the generation for a fraction of the price to play some exclusives, just like I did with the PS3 this gen.

You mess up, you pay the price.

This is the biggest and fastest backpedal in history for any company that big like MS .
Now this make next gen interesting and we have a race on own hands .
This also makes the gaming media look fucking stupid saying only forum nerds care about this .

Gryph

This is going to cost Microsoft a lot of money...

All of that marketing... All of that cloud based development... Incentive deals... I can't even imagine...

iNvid02

yY4zgYd.jpg

petermolydeux ‏@PeterMolydeux

Maybe one day people will put the same amount of effort they've been putting into arguing about DRM into demanding more creative games

haha...oh wow.

Yea like one where a bunch of mindless people mash a bunch of cubes for no reason. REALLY CREATIVE BRO

I simply can't believe It now I'll actually buy an Xbone at some stage but please throw the Kinect out too Id rather buy it for €350 sans Kinect

King_Moc

Banned
Consumer action works! Good job everyone!

Still buying a PS4 over this, but at least now i can consider it part way through the gen.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
No matter the consequences of this, video gaming history was made today.

While I caught my first shark in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

so because there is no longer a mandatory 24 hour check in and technically the console no longer ever needs to connect to the internet after the initialization; does this mean you no longer have to have the kinect plugged in? o_O

Glix

I thought we were whiny assholes?

A vocal minority that no one cared about because we are mindless idiots who will buy anything?

Fuck all the apologists and "journalists" who said or intimated the above.

shield

This is a great day for consumers/gamers, but a very small part of me wishes they went through with it just so I could see how badly they could fuck it up. Really glad they didn't though.

been watching this industry grow since the late 80's and I've never seen anything quite like this before.

The absolute fastest I've ever seen massive policies (ones that various MS employees had been taking beatings over while trying to defend) changed.

Might get an X1 down the line now, but not in the first couple years unless there's an absolute monster of an exclusive I really want.
I'm still convinced MS didn't change this because they "listened to their passionate fans". They changed this because they were getting demolished in pre-orders and overall negative PR from around the entire world. 'Staying the course' would have been potential suicide.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see that Sony will have to keep themselves competitive during next gen. I was afraid that arrogant Sony would make a comeback.

This fucking sucks!

No more sharing
No more installing and not needing the disc
No more instant game switching

Thank a lot internet rage, you suck.

Now I have to choose between buying everything digitally so I don't need disc or I have to buy discs if I want to share games with my family which I'll likely either never get back or I'll get it back with scratches and fingerprints.

Really disappointed right now.

wait what? Really? fuck...

Acosta

If the reason they dropped the Online Passes was because they were counting on the consoles to have those systems in place, yes, I can't imagine they are that happy.

On the other hand, they got other stuff on their sleeves to keep monetizing used games and move them towards becoming services more and more.

We need a list! Fuck them.

We need a wall of shame.

Congrats everyone!

coldfoot

Banned
so this + the sharing policy makes this better than the ps4 now
Sharing policy is gone, it's just like the PS4 right now.
LOL at extreme fanboys @ B3D saying "Fuck you Sony" LOL LOL LOL.
Some people will defend corporations to the extent of giving up their own consumer rights. I pity those fools.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We customers have never been so powerful: thanks to social networks, forums, and any kind of expression channel, we expressed our hate for what MS was trying to do, and we didn't just whine, but we also showed our hate by not preordering the console. This is historic, this is one of the greatest moment in gaming history of all time: WE HAVE THE POWER.

This is awesome - instead of MS making consumers bend over to take their policies up the ass, the consumers made noise and had MS do an Xbox One Eighty. Good job, y'all.

I'll think about getting the Xbone on launch now.

The damage to their reputation has already been done. They will become known as the company that could not handle the negative pressure and eventually broke down, cried and apologized to gamers.

At least it gives some very good tips to future companies trying to change things for the worst; "Do not fuck with gamers. We will eat you up"

Microsoft cares about you, and about your opinions. Please buy our console. Please. Steve Balmer won't stop yelling, he's not even breathing. Please buy the X Box One, coming this november. Please pre order it. Gamestop. Please.

lol pretty much.

Might pick one up now when it has enough good exclusives. Kinect is still a huge turnoff though. Kinect free SKU for 349 pls.

slade

They must have pissed their pants when they heard those cheers on Fallon for used games only working on PS4. They probably never expected this issue to reach the mainstream consumer.

Smart move.

I'm still getting a PS4 at launch and not a One, my decision has already been made, but at least now there's a chance I may get one someday.

Lol poor EA. Online Passes to be brought back now.

I think a ton of irreversible damage has already been done but good on MS for listening. Personally, all is not forgiven so easily with me.

Still not getting one.

Mr. RHC

Wow, this is Sony's and #NoDRM campaigns work!

Reposting this from the other thread:

Sony right now:

tumblr_mo7nzvNfQv1rjql2co3_250.gif

----

9088556978_607f148825_z.jpg

#Xbox180, #XboxOneCrow

Top Bottom