• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q1: 2.4 M 360+XBO shipped

For this quarter I estimate the following shipped numbers:

~1700k = Xbox One
~700k = Xbox 360

5100k as of Q1 2014 is an official figure.

I would estimate that in the past two quarters we had ~550k + ~1700k = ~2250k.

So my ESTIMATE would be that Xbox One would be at around ~7350k shipped worldwide as of September 30th 2014. I'd expect sell through to be less than 6.5 million

I'd expect PS4 to be over 12 million shipped in the same time frame.

Nope, they must be around 12 million SOLD through.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I wonder how the numbers would look if the 360 wasn't supply constrained at launch.

That graph between 360 and One sales in the US being thrown around GAF is moot in my opinion as it's comparing 2 consoles that had completely different launches, one supply constrained, and the other not.

Oh.

But that's a positive for the X360 though. It was supply constrained and yet still outpaced the X1 during the same time period.

blakep267

Completely agree with the first part (I cannot imagine a scenario where less than 2 million Xbox1s ship this quarter in NA), but the US is the majority of the Xbox market now. I do not think the rest of the wworld is 50% or more of Xbox1s sold. US/UK sales are likely the Lions share of the holiday units moved.

well I'm expecting ridiculous bundle sales as well. If they were able to sell 300k last month off the strength of 1 week with a free game in September, I expect a week of black friday with halo and COD coming out and the same deal ( with SO, COD, and Asscreed bundles all counting) sales, to destroy that.

Welfare

But that's a positive for the X360 though. It was supply constrained and yet still outpaced the X1 during the same time period.

The graph was talking about 2014 sales between the 2, not overall.

The One was able to have a lot of supply for launch, so most sales happened there. The 360 couldn't have the same benefit at launch, so sales were bigger 2006 as a result.

well I'm expecting ridiculous bundle sales as well. If they were able to sell 300k last month off the strength of 1 week with a free game in September, I expect a week of black friday with halo and COD coming out and the same deal ( with SO, COD, and Asscreed bundles all counting) sales, to destroy that.

In North America most certainly. But I do not think France nor Germany are going to be buying these boxes for Halo at anywhere near the same level as their western counterparts. Even with great bundling from Microsoft Europe is still going to swing Sony for the holidays.

Whoa whoa whoa... whoa.

The Xbox One is most likely at 5.7 million units sold to consumers as of October 4th, Assuming it sells the exact same numbers as last holiday (3 million), plus whatever they sell in October, then they only need to sell at most 1 million in 2015. The Xbox One sold that much in the US alone between January to June.

And that is not even counting baseline increases, the addition of more countries (they sell!) and more games coming in Q1 of 2015 compared to 2014.

If they don't hit 10 million this year, they will hit it as late as March 2015.

I don't think they will come close to matching the launch period sales from last year.

Seems like way too long. They should be able to sell another 1.5-2 million in the US this quarter. I think they could squeeze out another million to 1.5 million in the rest of the world this quarter and hit 10 million by Spring next year.

Sales have flatlined outside the US. There is approximately zero chance sales outside North America will come anywhere close to your projection. I can see 1.5M in the US, but it will be less than half of that everywhere else.

My expectation is Xbox One will have sold through less than 8M by the end of 2014. It took 9 months for it to go from 3M to 5.7M this year, and I expect even slower sales through most of 2015. Ergo, it will be late summer next year before Xbox One crosses 10M sold through.

Welfare

I don't think they will come close to matching the launch period sales from last year.

Sales have flatlined outside the US. There is approximately zero chance sales outside North America will come anywhere close to your projection. I can see 1.5M in the US, but it will be less than half of that everywhere else.

My expectation is Xbox One will have sold through less than 8M by the end of 2014. It took 9 months for it to go from 3M to 5.7M this year, and I expect even slower sales through most of 2015. Ergo, it will be late summer next year before Xbox One crosses 10M sold through.

You expect the One to sell less in the next 3 months than last years November and December, even with more games, $399, and more countries to sell in? That's really low balling what the One can do.

You expect the One to sell less in the next 3 months than last years November and December, even with more games, $399, and more countries to sell in? That's really low balling what the One can do.

Last year's holiday was the launch period for the consoles.

You must not have been paying very close attention to what's been happening all year with Xbox One sales.

Welfare

Last year's holiday was the launch period for the consoles.

And the One is $399, 3 bundles, and has a Halo game coming out. I believe every console so far sans Wii U has always done better in the first holiday after launch. I don't see how the One sells less this year compared to last.

You must not have been paying very close attention to what's been happening all year with Xbox One sales.
What, how in January the sales fell like a rock because people that would've gotten one got it in November/December, or how in February/March sales spiked do to the Titanfall hype, and then in April less consumers bought one due to getting the Titanfall bundle, and the console being $499?

Then in May where MS basically said "Don't buy it yet! $399 next month!" and very little did buy one in May, and when it became $399, sales spiked again and have been pretty consistent since then. You can apply this to both the US and WW. I think you are just grossly underestimating the Ones ability to sell, just because of early hiccups in sales.

The PS3 exceeded 10M sold-in by the end of CY2007. It's US cumulative sell-through aligned was considerably worse, although it's non-US sales were presumably better given the XBO is essentially already dead in Japan. For reference, I have the PS3's sell-through from Gfk/Nintendo's old charts at around 2.1M for the UK, FR, GE and SP to the end of 2007. It's Japanese sales were around 1.6M. And it's US sales were 3.25M through 2007, which is about a quarter million less than the XBO's through September.

Given that, expecting the XBO to not reach 10M sold-in until the end of MS's current fiscal year or beyond seems like a stretch.

Biker19

Banned

That was because it was launch period. Console launches always have the biggest sales each generation.

I don't expect Xbox One to sell 3 million worldwide this November & December like last year during their launch months, IMO. Everyone knows what Xbox One & PS4 are now.

Guevara

Fair enough.

Are you talking worldwide? Because I just realized that I was assuming you meant US-only. But if you're talking WW, then I'd probably have to agree with you.

Worldwide, no question.

----------------

For U.S. only: I still think the Xbox One sells slightly worse this year than last:

Last year, Nov+Dec for the Xbox One was around 1.8M U.S.

To get to 1.8 this year, Oct+Nov+Dec '14 would have to be something like 300k+500k+1M. I don't think it will do that.

And the One is $399, 3 bundles, and has a Halo game coming out. I believe every console so far sans Wii U has always done better in the first holiday after launch. I don't see how the One sells less this year compared to last..

I'm not saying XB1 can't sell better than last year. I don't have enough foresight to make that prediction.

However "launch" is just as much a selling point as are all the points you listed above. Plus it's harder to compare this gen's launch months vs last gen's launch months, as this is the first generation where consoles had a really, really strong front loaded sales.

I do get the pessimism regarding non-US sales.

I am somewhat curious what's causing people to arrive at, for instance, the idea that a 1.8M Oct-Dec US quarter is outside of likelihood. And what kind of expectations people actually have for it.

Besides one month of gen/gen comp between the PS3 and XBO the latter has consistently outsold the former. That month coincided with a PS3 price cut.
YTD the latter has sold around 500K more than the former.

In terms of revenue (note not units, and inclusive of software and accessories) the holiday quarter typically accounts for 50% or more of industry sales for the year.

The PS3 sold 1.38M that holiday quarter to the 1.17M it sold the 9 months prior.
The XBO's US YTD is 1.67M.

Microsoft said:
In computing and gaming, we expect revenue to be $3.5 billion to $3.8 billion (ed. Next Quarter). This range reflects growth in Xbox One consoles over the last year, but a mix shift to lower price SKUs announced last June. With the momentum we are seeing with Surface Pro 3, we expect units to grow sequentially
So even taking into account the lower priced skus they attribute anticipated higher XB1 sales picking up the flack, so they expect more than the 3.9m last holiday.
They expect One growth, but it won't "pick up the slack". They're predicting the Surface/Xbox division revenue will nevertheless decline by ~19-23% YOY. (And that's even with Surface profits going up.)

Given that, expecting the XBO to not reach 10M sold-in until the end of MS's current fiscal year or beyond seems like a stretch.
Not that I necessarily agree with him even so, but Brad Grenz specifically stated he was predicting sold-through, not sold-in.

Hindle

Banned
So 6m sold through and 7m shipped? I can't see the 360 receiving that big of a shipment when you factor current gen has dropped off a cliff.

So 6m sold through and 7m shipped? I can't see the 360 receiving that big of a shipment when you factor current gen has dropped off a cliff.

Most estimates for XB1 shipped are more in the 7.3M - 7.5M range

Sold through hasn't been discussed as much. Maybe I'll try my hand at an estimate for that in this thread

Hindle

Banned
Most estimates for XB1 shipped are more in the 7.3M - 7.5M range

Sold through hasn't been discussed as much. Maybe I'll try my hand at an estimate for that in this thread

Plausible enough.

Sales have improved WW since they dropped Kinect and cut the price as well. I just think the majority of the shipments for Xbox are mainly for the X1. Why ship say 1m for the 360 when its not even selling 100k on the NPD.

Cyborg

Combined sales is just hiding the bad numbers! Like Sony did with PS3.
I suspect that XboxOne is doing bad and below MS expectations!

orochi91

Combined sales is just hiding the bad numbers! Like Sony did with PS3.
I suspect that XboxOne is doing bad and below MS expectations!

I have it pegged at between 5.5m-6m sold.

Shipped at a little over 7m+

I expect about about 8.5m XB1 sold by the end of the year.

I do get the pessimism regarding non-US sales.

I am somewhat curious what's causing people to arrive at, for instance, the idea that a 1.8M Oct-Dec US quarter is outside of likelihood. And what kind of expectations people actually have for it.

Besides one month of gen/gen comp between the PS3 and XBO the latter has consistently outsold the former. That month coincided with a PS3 price cut.
YTD the latter has sold around 500K more than the former.

In terms of revenue (note not units, and inclusive of software and accessories) the holiday quarter typically accounts for 50% or more of industry sales for the year.

The PS3 sold 1.38M that holiday quarter to the 1.17M it sold the 9 months prior.
The XBO's US YTD is 1.67M.

Has there been a console yet where second holiday was lower than the first? Regardless, by January Xbox had no major shortages, but November and December last year had some stock issues (not PS4 level, but still real problems). They really want to win the holiday and have to stock not one, not two, not three, not four, not even five, but six different SKUs for this Quarter (White bundle, Solo, Kinect, COD, Assassin's solo, and Assassin's kinect). They are going to ship 2 million plus for North America. Will they all sell? We will know in three months, but I have no doubt they will ship that many.

Jack cw

So Xbone hasn't overtaken WiiU yet?
And I fear worse for Xbone outside of the US, even in Nov. and Dec. this console wont move, sadly.

Toki767

So Xbone hasn't overtaken WiiU yet?
And I fear worse for Xbone outside of the US, even in Nov. and Dec. this console wont move, sadly.

I'm fairly confident that the Xbox One will sell more in the US during the holiday than the Wii U will in something like US + Japan. Europe is probably favoring the Xbox One more than the Wii U as well, so it really is just a matter of time until it overtakes it if it hasn't already.

Jack cw

I'm fairly confident that the Xbox One will sell more in the US during the holiday than the Wii U will in something like US + Japan. Europe is probably favoring the Xbox One more than the Wii U as well, so it really is just a matter of time until it overtakes it if it hasn't already.

Don't think so. Evidence is that WiiU performs really solid in mainland EU and Xbone is really far behind everywhere outside of NA and UK. Will be nice to see who performs better overall, but honsetly, WiiU was shipped about the same numbers as Xbone last year and people called it a flop already. The numbers are pretty bad actually and I don't see any consumer shift towards Microsoft.

Don't think so. Evidence is that WiiU performs really solid in mainland EU and Xbone is really far behind everywhere outside of NA and UK. Will be nice to see who performs better overall, but honsetly, WiiU was shipped about the same numbers as Xbone last year and people called it a flop already. The numbers are pretty bad actually and I don't see any consumer shift towards Microsoft.

Is this a joke?

I have it pegged at between 5.5m-6m sold.

Shipped at a little over 7m+

I expect about about 8.5m XB1 sold by the end of the year.

Sounds reasonable. I am expecting 2,5 to 3 million additional sales (to customers) worldwide during the last quarter for the Xbox One, which should bring the total sales of the consoles somewhere within a 8 to 9 millions total.

Jack cw

Is this a joke?

These threads always bring out the crazies ;)

you know how it is.....oh WiiU is doing okay in France, it must be doing well in Europe -__-

Italy, Spain, France, Germany and several smaller markets in EU if I remember correctly.
We have data for it and there were offical threads for all this. In every of those markets WiiU sells better than Xbone. Still, the sales are pretty low though but enough to still be in front of Microsoft so far.

pLow7

Can we now say, that the PS4 -> Xbox Ratio WW is 2:1?

I mean it sounds realistic. We have about ~11.5-12M PS4 to ~5.5-6M XOne. Talking about sold through of course.

Durante

Italy, Spain, France, Germany and several smaller markets in EU if I remember correctly.
We have data for it and there were offical threads for all this. In every of those markets WiiU sells better than Xbone. Still, the sales are pretty low though but enough to still be in front of Microsoft so far.
"Better than Xbox One" and "really solid" are two entirely different things in mainland Europe.

You're logic is flawed. The supposed lead (you got any links) in those countries will be very small. XB1's UK lead may very well eclipse the sum of leads in those countries.

Think about weighting not just oh WiiU has outsold XB1 in 4 countries while XB1 has only outsold WiiU in 1 country.

Then excuse my "really solid" phrase. It sells better, if that's is ok.

The argument isn't really that Xbox One is winning in mainland Europe or anything, it's that since Wii U still sucks there it's not enough to overcome the UK margin (on a YTD basis obviously).

(not to mention the US+Japan combined margins, Canada/Australia/etc.)

Psycho_Mantis did you even get my PM?

Also, I don't know if it's been discussed here but the Wii U at just under 6.7 million, meaning that even if you used the extremely unrealistically low estimates used earlier in the thread of 7.3 million for the XBO (It is almost certainly somewhere north of 7.5 million), even if the Wii U matched it's performance from the quarter that Mario Kart launched it would still fall short. We have no idea what the sell through for either platform really is despite what some here might have you believe, but the Wii U shipments have indeed fallen behind the XBO worldwide as of this quarter.

You remembered wrong.

even if you used the extremely unrealistically low estimates used earlier in the thread of 7.3 million for the XBO (It is almost certainly somewhere north of 7.5 million)

Firstly, I agree that shipments of XB1 have surpassed Wii U shipments worldwide and they will clearly widen the gap going forward

Secondly, how is 7.3M extremely unrealistically low for an estimate of cumulative XB1 WW shipments and how are shipments almost certainly north of 7.5M?

Conduit

Banned
XB1 will end up shipped 11/12m (Which means 9.5/10.5m sell through in a year)

WiiU is going to be lucky to beat out Gamecube lifetime, you really expect XB1 to plummet in 2015 and beyond?

Xbone is now around 6 mil. sold to consumers. You really think that Xbone will be sold in 3.5-4 mil. units by the end of the year? That's insane predictions. There is no launch hype anymore. I wouldn't dare to predict that sale numbers for PS4 also.

winstonia

Neo Member
When was the last time MS have announced sold numbers for the XB1? There is a reason they are using shipped all the time...

Firstly, I agree that shipments of XB1 have surpassed Wii U shipments worldwide and they will clearly widen the gap going forward

Secondly, how is 7.3M extremely unrealistically low for an estimate of cumulative XB1 WW shipments and how are shipments almost certainly north of 7.5M?

For starters, the number assumes that in the second calendar year quarter, the person making the estimate assumes that the 360 outshipped the XBO for..... reasons? The second thing is that they are probably overestimating how the 360 performed this quarter as well, especially given how poorly the system sold the past three months in America, given that the USA accounts for roughly half of all of the system's sales to date.

Top Bottom