• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sends GAF a Cease and Desist notice over Mass Effect 3 Spoilers

Darklord

Banned
How can they do that? The info gets leaked and posted on a forum. What exactly is illegal or against the law here? Actvision didn't send a C&D to Kotaku over MW3.

And why would GAF fold so easily?

[Nintex]

A lawsuit with BioWare vs. GAF would be painful. Detective GAF would dig up so many dirt - 'remember that one time that you guys were having dinner with Dyack and Wada?' that EA would promptly rename all BioWare labels to: "This is not BioWare and never had anything to do with a company called BioWare." TINBANHATDWACCB

Danielsan

I purposely ignored the whole Mass Effect 3 leak debacle, but I can't help but laugh at the whole thing. Massive fuck-up right there Bioware. You can't erase something from the internet once it's been released.

Danielsan said:
I purposely ignored the whole Mass Effect 3 leak debacle, but I can't help but laugh at the whole thing. Massive fuck-up right there Bioware. You can't erase something from the internet once it's been released.

Ditto.

Now I want to see the spoilers.

*goes to one of the millions of other sites in the internet to get them

stuminus3

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
I'm pretty sure Bioware/EA has no legal authority over GAF in this instance, but whatever.
That's irrelevant. This isn't some random fan site, NeoGAF is industry friendly which is one thing that makes it the place to be for any videogame enthusiast, it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests to put up a fight over this.

syllogism

Darklord said:
How can they do that? The info gets leaked and posted on a forum. What exactly is illegal or against the law here? Actvision didn't send a C&D to Kotaku over MW3.
Text dumps of the leak probably are protected

Woffls

Crikey. Umm, I avoided that thread for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure what this has achieved. If anything it's now a 'thing' and information will find its way to those who want it.

Vamphuntr

They also nuked the thread on the Russian forum that leaked them. Thread is now gone there too.

It means all that fan fiction level stuff was true. Oh man.

scarybore

Not a surprise really. I didn't read the spoilers as even if the story is a total mess, I'd rather find that out while playing the game than from leaked material.

I do actually feel bad for Bioware as the beta entering the public domain was apparently not their fault, but at the same time I have no idea why an all encompassing design document was embedded in the file in the first place.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ruh-roh. Google cache remembers all. (I dare say their DMCA process is a little slower than GAF's...)

stuminus3 said:
That's irrelevant. This isn't some random fan site, NeoGAF is industry friendly which is one thing that makes it the place to be for any videogame enthusiast, it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests to put up a fight over this.

Yes it would.

This sort of whining baby crap Bioware's pulling is exactly the sort of BS that needs to be mocked. And mocked by not only NOT deleting the thread, but stickying it.

Bowdz

Thank god I hopped in that thread before it was closed. Those spoilers literally sealed the deal of me skipping ME3. I had been on the fence since ME2, but I honestly I am not interested in the direction Bioware as a company has gone.

Uriah

Vamphuntr said:
They also nuked the thread on the Russian forum that leaked them. Thread is now gone there too.

It means all that fan fiction level stuff was true. Oh man.

Oh god. I haven't seen the spoilers, but I am not surprised at bioware for including stuff like that at all.

Kinyou

I have no problem with this. I mean they probably just asked NeoGaf to put it down. (I can't imagine how they could sue them)

Is Nova an admin?

Foliorum Viridum said:
We all know the main story spoiler anyway.

What's that? It will be nowhere near as good as the story as the first game.
I don't :/

marrec

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
I bet it was quite the ride.

I wish the thread was placed in the archive forum (so at least non-members couldn't read it) so I could read it.

Oh well

gofreak said:
Ruh-roh. Google cache remembers all. (I dare say their DMCA process is a little slower than GAF's...)

Whaaaaa? Crazy. Under no circumstances is anyone to take advantage the Cacheing feature. That'd be illegal...

IoCaster

To be fair there were some massive spoilers with plot details galore and even descriptive text of end game cutscenes. I'm sure that some of that content wasn't finalized, but it's doubtful that the core elements of the plot that were revealed will change dramatically between now and the release date. It's gotta suck for the devs when something like this happens.

Zeal

Banned
Bioware pressed A and made awesome things happen.

Oh wait, they just turned into a shit developer with more and more fuck ups by the day. You lose, Biofail.

Shahadan

By acknowledging the spoilers as true and gaining the attention of the internet freedom police, Bioware just assured themselves that the leak will probably be posted somewhere else and in many other places.

That's stupid.

Couldn't they have just PM'd a mod instead of bringing legal documents into this?

Puss move if you ask me. I'm still getting ME3 day one of course.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kinyou said:
I have no problem with this. I mean they probably just asked NeoGaf to put it down.

Yeah man, they probably, just, like, asked nicely, you know? Know'mean? Over drinks at the cafe.

Top Bottom