• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sends GAF a Cease and Desist notice over Mass Effect 3 Spoilers

stuminus3 said:
That's irrelevant. This isn't some random fan site, NeoGAF is industry friendly which is one thing that makes it the place to be for any videogame enthusiast, it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests to put up a fight over this.
What? It certainly wouldn't be in the interest of Bioware or EA from a PR standpoint. There is no 'fight' to be had.

Like, boo hoo, people are freely discussing information sourced from other websites on a public, not-for-profit Internet messageboard. The leak was accidental, no one stole anything, and no one here even trawled the code, let alone did anything actually illegal. Also, no one entered into any sort of non-disclosure agreement and pretty much everything falls under fair use of copyright.

EA/Bioware/Microsoft messed up. We have no obligation of any kind to not talk about them messing up. 'B-b-but spoilers!!!' is not legally binding.

Shahadan said:
By acknowledging the spoilers as true and gaining the attention of the internet freedom police, Bioware just assured themselves that the leak will probably be posted somewhere else and in many other places.

That's stupid.

You'd think that by now people would know about the Streisand effect

stuminus3

Banned
PataHikari said:
This sort of whining baby crap Bioware's pulling is exactly the sort of BS that needs to be mocked. And mocked by not only NOT deleting the thread, but stickying it.
That's... not particularly constructive at all. That kind of thinking leads to Denis Dyack. And nobody wants Denis Dyack.

Zeliard

Nora Kisaragi said:
Wait, so they're not changing the story?

Usually when a game's ending or movie gets leaked, they change the story to accomodate.

Was it actually the ending that was leaked? I haven't been keeping up.

Philia

Bowdz said:
Thank god I hopped in that thread before it was closed. Those spoilers literally sealed the deal of me skipping ME3. I had been on the fence since ME2, but I honestly I am not interested in the direction Bioware as a company has gone.

YEP. My hubby didn't read the spoilers but since I didn't care for the series, I lolled and told him that it was pretty bad. I didn't give him the details but he sees this C&D pretty much confirming my lollin' at it.

Also, I posted in that thread, saying I'm so HYPED for the ME3's very own Revenge of Shit Mountain thread. Nothing like a GOOD joke thread to really get me lollin' so much. I'm giggling thinking about it!

Empty

get phisheep to represent gaf.

it's annoying that there are spoilers flying around. makes it harder for me to avoid them, especially if i watch a mass effect youtube video and some cool guy drops it in the comments as can happen, but that's microsoft's fuckup not gaf's.

Darklord said:
How can they do that? The info gets leaked and posted on a forum. What exactly is illegal or against the law here? Actvision didn't send a C&D to Kotaku over MW3.

And why would GAF fold so easily?

A C&D has no legal power, it's just a letter.

Zeliard said:
Was it actually the ending that was leaked? I haven't been keeping up.
There were lines in there that clearly had to do with the endgame, and a part that described what the final choice of the game would be and all the basic variables of the ending cutscenes.

Oh man from the positive impressions from the leaked beta to this shit, in just 3 days.

Its fucking stupid from both Bioware and Microsoft part. Microsoft for actually leaking the fucking beta and Bioware for putting the whole design document in the beta files.... Jesus.

Sorry I am pretty pissed about this.

RSP

EviLore said:
Yeah man, they probably, just, like, asked nicely, you know? Know'mean? Over drinks at the cafe.

Limiting all Bioware game related discussion to funny Mass Effect pics seems like the right way to deal with this.

NBtoaster

Was this a leak of the beta version of the whole game or just the multiplayer? Why would multiplayer have story spoilers in it?

Darklord

Banned
EviLore said:
Yeah man, they probably, just, like, asked nicely, you know? Know'mean? Over drinks at the cafe.

What the fuck is with Bioware these days? Really starting to dislike them mainly because of their attitude towards everything.

It's actually more embarrassing that a major corporation in 2011 thinks it's still acceptable or viable to do strongarm PR on the Internet. Like, didn't you guys get the memo? We are on the Internet now; marketing communications are a little different here. The best EA/BW can hope for now is that this all this devolves into jokes and memes rather than outrage.

f0rk

EmCeeGramr said:
There were lines in there that clearly had to do with the endgame, and a part that described what the final choice of the game would be and all the basic variables of the ending cutscenes.

Without going into specifics obviously, how would ME2 haters react to it?

sphinx

the piano man
Darklord said:
And why would GAF fold so easily?

Because "GAF" (and I don't mean you or me but the owners, creators and some mods here at GAF) are friends with many industry insiders, guys working in these companies.

If "Bioware Guy A" asks Evilore to give them a hand, GAF will. Nothing wrong with that.

Zeliard

EmCeeGramr said:

Heh interesting. How'd you end up liking it?

[Nintex]

It's getting sickening that the gaming industry considers websites, communites, independent forums and all extensions of their PR/Marketing. They tease us, join us, make fun with us when they have shit to sell but when shit goes sideways they think that they can control what people can't discuss. This is in fact a direct attack on the freedom of speech if you ask me.

Kinyou

EviLore said:
I have this strange feeling now that they actually didn't ask so nicely

soultron

Banned
Stayed out of the thread (before it got too spoiler-y) to keep myself from spoiling the beginning of the game for myself. Glad I did. Kind of hilarious to see that GAF, as an entity, received a C&D.

jgkspsx

I think the admins did the right thing by not putting the site at risk, even if the C&D is a fucking joke.

However, this definitely cements my deep dislike of Bioware. At least I have the consolation of knowing that they're only a few fuckups away from dissolution, just like every other major dev.

Lothars

f0rk said:
Without going into specifics obviously, how would ME2 haters react to it?
The same way they will react to everything bioware and ME2 that the game will be trash and they are right to hate it.

Congrats Bioware this is precisely how not to handle things...

Incoming C&D order anyone?

On what grounds can they make this claim anyway? I can understand GAF not wanting to go to war with EA's legal department, but since when it is illegal to discuss spoilers? Especially when said spoilers have come about through completely legal (albeit accidental) means?

Darklord

Banned
sphinx said:
If "Bioware Guy A" asks Evilore to give them a hand, GAF will. Nothing wrong with that.

The way EviLore's post is worded it sounds like they were total cunts about it. Hardly asking for a hand.

soultron said:
Stayed out of the thread (before it got too spoiler-y) to keep myself from spoiling the beginning of the game for myself. Glad I did. Kind of hilarious to see that GAF, as an entity, received a C&D.

I bet they will repay GAF by making a glorious OT with all the viral marketing...

... [/sarcasm]

Top Bottom