• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

Amir0x

Banned
Very nice feature, between this and the rent Xbox One monthly games service Microsoft is trying hard to stay relevant. Just need to get their first party into gear again to maintain an edge. I see no reason others can't offer the feature, but I doubt Sony will offer it in the near future (since this seems to be a big concern ITT). Probably won't see that to PS5, this seems like the type of feature Sony would probably be slow to adopt.

We still need the gifting feature unless I missed that at some recent point :/

Good shit, next up Playstation and Nintendo hopefully. No reason this shouldn't be standard across all digital stores.

Pleased about the 2 hour limit aswell, I may even buy some games I normally wouldn't have to try out. Yes I know I'm abusing it :(

I'm all for broken games getting refunds.

But refunds because you don't like something...eeehhhhh... Feels like that's on the person.

Ushay

EA Access, Play Anywhere, Game Pass, Backwards Compat, Self Refund, Keeps on going.

Have to give credit where its due, in terms of service and platform MS have nailed it.

Really hope they have the same principled approach to 1P/2P games as well.

yyr

People have issues and they would rather buy things for self complacency. Does it really make sense. No. But it's what many have been trained into, they just can't shake it. Ask your self today, any of you. Can you lose all your things right now and be ok? I can, I can as I know it's not like but the life people make.

I honestly agree with a lot of this, but the fact of the matter is that our economy (at least in the USA) has been built on unnecessary spending. If everyone just started only buying the things they need, and shedding their desires for things, we would lose whole segments of our economy and the markets would crumble. It sounds ridiculous but it's the truth.

In Pocket Card Jockey (fantastic 3DS game, go try the demo!) the "Mr. Blingman" character, one of several horse owners, initially looks like a rich jerk, but as you win with his horses and converse with him, you find that he just has a really good understanding of how the economy works. He says that if you have money to spare, that you should spend it on the things you like, because it is up to those with money to support those things. For example, horse racing. Nobody needs to own a race horse, he explains, but if wealthy people didn't buy them, there would no longer be any horse racing for anyone to enjoy.

I should stop before I go any further off topic, lol

Ran rp

I have never understood the reasoning behind a company like Sony not doing this or that because they're ahead in sales, console leader, etc. Especially when it benefits the consumer.

They do what Microsoft is doing. Wait until they're in trouble to give people what they really want and get them back.

beastlove

Good shit, next up Playstation and Nintendo hopefully. No reason this shouldn't be standard across all digital stores.

Pleased about the 2 hour limit aswell, I may even buy some games I normally wouldn't have to try out.
Yes I know I'm abusing it :(

Not really. I do the same with steam and buy more games as a result. I guess they will really benefit from this policy. Firstly it reduces risk for the consumer resulting in more digital sales and therefore no preowned market.

Zemm

I hope Nintendo and Sony follow.

giphy.gif

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft is doing some good stuff lately. Gotta say if it weren't for the Sony exclusives I'd probably switch over.

Bedlam

Fantastic first step. MS is really pulling me back in. Went from 360 to PS4 but a purchase of an Xbox Scorpio is becoming more likely for me by the day.

Now announce some original games, MS!

Dabanton

To be fair, i don't really want subscriptions on top of subscriptions and think it sets a bad precedent, along with MS's new Xbox initiative. That's one thing i'm glad Sony are holding out on.

You're going along with a company not giving their consumers a choice to subscribe to EA Access if they so wish too. So many time in new game in the vault threads, I see comments of people wishing this service would come to the PS4.

Is PSNow a "bad precedent"?

Chaplain

I appreciate Microsoft for being Sony's thorn in the flesh. This will hopefully wake Sony up into realizing their position as industry leader could easily be taken away if they allow Microsoft to set the rules of the game.

wihio

The Forza/Store issue continued...

Went to support, gave them control of my computer, the tech then opens Edge and does a bing search for "trouble shooter sega"... Yep!

After an hour of him trying everything I already tried (took me 5 min), he offers the solution:

"Let us reinstall Windows. We can begin the process."

Refunded Forza-- Someone let me know when the Windows Store works as well as Steam, and does not require an OS re-install to even download something!

How the fuck is Microsoft the one making all the right moves? It used to be so cool to hate them, but it's great to see them turn around like this.

Are you expecting PC/PS4 or do you not count the cross-platform/remote play they have going now?

That's dope. I guess it saves them the call center support calls. Though not playing for more than 2 hours for the first week if it is a new release is going to be rough on many people.

If you're enjoying the 2 hours that you're playing why would you wanna refund it? Makes no sense.

freefornow

Gold Member
The feature is great but I don't understand how can people judge if a game is worth it or not just by playing 2 hours.

I think this is more about knowing within 2 hours that the game is jank! Something along the lines of "Life of Black Tiger" jank. There are some games where you can make that call quite quickly.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bravo Microsoft! Can't say I expect the others to follow, but this is another nice feature for anyone thinking of going with an Xbox over the competition.

The feature is great but I don't understand how can people judge if a game is worth it or not just by playing 2 hours.

You can usually tell if a game isn't doing anything for you.

They also have been having to try to get players back since Phil took over (he took over after their huge blunder). Sure, they're not in as bad situation now but they still aren't top dog (where MS wishes to be).

I wish people would remember MS is not a generous company when they are top dog and are very much the kind of company to see what they can "get away with" when they are top dog and feel they have no competitors. Yeah, they are being good now and I wish they would have some influence on Sony but I think people are having very short memories on to how MS tends to operate in general.

MS aren't good guys. They just are when they have to be. I mean I'm sure you can argue no company is a good guy. But some companies at least try to keep up a rep of being a good guy (CDPR) in order to get loyalty. MS doesn't run that way. Their MO is to try to get away with as much as they can and then throw money at the problem when they find what consumers will "deal with" the hard way.

Is it really necessary for you to shit up the thread with these comments? Let people enjoy the good news. you act as if a Microsoft is an individual. The people in charge are different from the CEO on down. It's possible for a company to change its ways. People don't have a short memory. People are willing to forgive and move on when tangible change occurs.

CJY

Banned
I think this is more about knowing within 2 hours that the game is jank! Something along the lines of "Life of Black Tiger" jank. There are some games where you can make that call quite quickly.

True. There's also more chance of me willing to take a chance on a game if there were a refund policy such as this. Makes a lot of sense all round

This isn't for after you finish it and decide it wasn't as good as you had hoped. This is for if you bought a game and it's unplayable or has severe technical problems and you want your money back. It shouldn't be a hassle to do so.

Does this also apply to smaller indie games ?

Would be a shame if something like journey didn't do well because everyone completed it within 2 hours.

Abzu is a current Xbox game which will be affected by such policies .

Head.spawn

Oh this is great except:

• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT. The only reason I want to refund my recent purchase of Forza is because I cannot fucking download it. Your shit service does not have a robust pause/resume download function, does not show rate of transfer, and randomly restarts downloading 52.29GB of data.

I have downloaded 18GB, then reset, then 26GB, then reset, then 4gb, reset, now 2.35GB and reset. I would be nearly done downloading it at this point, but no, I am starting over at 0.

I wish I could torrent the data files from another source
!

Go do that? It is possible.

While you're at it i would do a fresh install of Win 10 to avoid these problems altogether.. or if that isnt worth it to you, I've gotten refunds simply by calling in from accidental purchases.

PeterGAF

Banned
What am I gonna refund when Xbox has no games!!!111

Am I doing it right?
You're almost there you just need to explain that Sony doesn't need to do this because they're the market leader and have no incentive so it's ok.

In all seriousness this is amazing. I never thought that xbox or any other console marketplace would have digital refunds. Hopefully the other two will follow suit, but I have a feeling Nintendo will never allow digital refunds. Sony probably eventually will though. I mean they have to now... right?

Top Bottom