• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

Akai XIII

In the UK if you buy a new release at GAME and take the wrapper off they won't give you a refund. They charge the same price as digital too.

awp69

I took that to mean "a game you thought you would like but it turned out you didn't" not "I want to try this game to see if i'll like it"

There are hundreds of games. I doubt many people would download a game they don't think they would like.

But you may be on the fence on a game you think you might like. Downloading it and realizing you don't is appropriate use of this IMO.

And, as I mentioned in another post, would probably lead to increased sales overall. I think it's in the best interest for MS to allow people to "try" games they wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Wow. This is good news indeed. And a step in the right direction for the industry. This needed for the digital distribution to really get going.

I hope we see waves to the other 2 soon

Night.Ninja

Banned
Half the posts in here are about Sony

image.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Really doubtful Sony will respond. I feel Xbox will have to start outpacing PlayStation for them to sit up and take notice that they have some archaic shit that needs addressing.

Good luck with that happening, meh....

And my guess is Sony knows how to avoid a monumental fuck up now to the point where there's no real reason to be threatened. Even their initial Pro and Slim missteps compared to XB1S that were the subject of mocking for days were quickly glossed over with an avalanche of software and features from the latest update

Wonder what games are best for this.

I feel like they should let us "abuse" the system. Not many games out there you can beat in 2 hours. And since they stopped offering demos this gen it would be a neat work around.

Problem is it would most likely be pissing off a lot of publishers.

Tell that to the suits taking in millions, driving home in there sports cars, to their model girlfriends. Now that is life.
The model of life is broken but that's ok. I'm just me and in this world is guess my business would fail or keep me broke. But I'd be ok with that.

Id rather everyone has a decent home than for some to have large spaces they never use. Things aren't logical. Material ideas are so broken. It's good to get companies like valve. Who imo care more than just profits. I feel gave likely cares people.

Hopefully Phil does too

I get a sense a lot of what he does is what he actually would want as a gamer.

To be fair MS has always offered refunds, you just had to call customer care for it. This makes it easier.

No, this is completely different. You only got 1 or 2 (possibly 3 can't remember) refunds a year before for any reason. which was dumb. I know because I confirmed it with them while refunding FH3 over the phone.

Need to know what they consider to be "abusing" the system.

If you have to ask, you are most likely planning on abusing the system (in Microsoft's eyes) Just buy games as you normally do, and If you don't like it, request a refund. I think they will be looking for people using the system as a try before you buy program, which is clearly not its intent.

MaulerX

Really doubtful Sony will respond. I feel Xbox will have to start outpacing PlayStation for them to sit up and take notice that they have some archaic shit that needs addressing.

I agree but at some point it can't all be about staying complacent because you're staying #1. At some point you're going to have to start taking care of your loyal fan base.

So glad I went all in on Xbox at the beginning of the gen. It feels real nice to know that all my purchases will work on the Scorpio and onwards. The fact that I can now return games that failed to meet my expectations is absolutely huge. I'll probably save at least a couple hundred dollars a year.

yyr

Why wouldn't they? There's nothing about handling digital purchases that requires certain hardware.

This isn't about hardware, it's about the way their infrastructure is designed. Depending on its level of flexibility, this sort of thing may or may not be possible.

Folks have been complaining for years that they can't change their PSN names. Sony has to be well aware that folks have been asking for it...they're not that ignorant. The only explanation that makes sense at this point is that their database is designed in a way that doesn't allow it...for example, if each user's data record uses username as the primary key.

Another example: Xbox Live on 360, and the 360's OS, were built from the ground up with cross-game voice chat in mind. PSN on PS3, and the PS3's OS, were not, and the team couldn't find a way to add it in.

Another example: Xbox Live's purchasing system on 360 was not built to support a "Games with Gold" type of system. This is why, if you let your XBL Gold subscription lapse, you lose access to XB1 games, but the 360 games are yours to keep forever.

Then they all need a news flash. Life isn't money, making life about money is where we have went wrong.

I agree with you insofar as people should not make their lives about money. You can't take it with you, you'll be remembered not by how you made people feel and not what stuff you had, etc., yes, I agree.

But that is not the purpose of a company. The purpose of a non-profit is to accomplish a goal while also NOT losing money. The purpose of a for-profit company is to turn a profit. The entire purpose of a company directly involves money...you can't separate the two concepts. The company can't exist without the money.

MS is making these pro-consumer choices not because they love us but because they feel they're investing in their future, as in the future of the company. Not every company thinks this way all the time. They have also done everything they could in the past to retain monopolies on OS and office software. (Google is now a major threat in both of those areas.)

To be fair, i don't really want subscriptions on top of subscriptions and think it sets a bad precedent, along with MS's new Xbox initiative. That's one thing i'm glad Sony are holding out on.

If some people, but not others, want the option of paying $xx a month/year to have access to a huge library of games they can play as much as they want, how does that negatively affect anyone or anything?

To be fair, i don't really want subscriptions on top of subscriptions and think it sets a bad precedent, along with MS's new Xbox initiative. That's one thing i'm glad Sony are holding out on.

I 100 percent concede to your points, but how would them offering it effect you? In is current state, those who want it, and there are many, have no options.

There is a big pro to this.

Treat customers with choice. Don't give devs benefit of the doubt.
If the game is good to someone they won't want to refund.

If I like mass effect i may not want to refund it even in its current form.

If people are not afraid to try and buy maybe it can even increase sales overall.

But look at games that get bad social media marks.

No man sky situations will be brutal.

Nms was always over hyped though, just brings it down to where it maybe should have been for what it was... So not that bad honestly.

Ricker

The blocking for abuse will be interesting to see...probably to prevent people from playing every game like a 1:59 hr demo lol...

krang

The blocking for abuse will be interesting to see...probably to prevent people from playing every game like a 1:59 hr demo lol...

I'm not sure that would be a bad thing. How many people would get it wrong, or say "meh...it's fun and the money's already gone from my account"?

Fbh

Wow, finally one of the big three implemented this policy. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo follow soon.

Sony might do this by the time we get Ps5.
Nintendo is going to do so in 30 years and you will have to send a hand written letter requesting a refund and it has to be co-signed by your mom or legal guardian (regardless of your age), the refunded ammount will be given to you in the form of digital refund coins you can use in a sub section of the Eshop (accessed by a button that appears at random) that has a list of 2 games (that rotate every month) that you can buy

There is a big pro to this.

Treat customers with choice. Don't give devs benefit of the doubt.
If the game is good to someone they won't want to refund.

If I like mass effect i may not want to refund it even in its current form.

If people are not afraid to try and buy maybe it can even increase sales overall.

But look at games that get bad social media marks.

No man sky situations will be brutal.

Nms was always over hyped though, just brings it down to where it maybe should have been for what it was... So not that bad honestly.

I would actually posit that NMS situations, heaven forbid they happen again, would be less brutal because people wouldn't be even further upset that they where out x amount of cash that they can't now spend on a different game they might like.

Kudos to Microsoft on implementing this policy. All digital gaming stores need to have this policy. Hopefully Sony follows Microsoft and adds this to PSN soon.

This isn't about hardware, it's about the way their infrastructure is designed. Depending on its level of flexibility, this sort of thing may or may not be possible.

Folks have been complaining for years that they can't change their PSN names. Sony has to be well aware that folks have been asking for it...they're not that ignorant. The only explanation that makes sense at this point is that their database is designed in a way that doesn't allow it...for example, if each user's data record uses username as the primary key.

Another example: Xbox Live on 360, and the 360's OS, were built from the ground up with cross-game voice chat in mind. PSN on PS3, and the PS3's OS, were not, and the team couldn't find a way to add it in.

Another example: Xbox Live's purchasing system on 360 was not built to support a "Games with Gold" type of system. This is why, if you let your XBL subscription lapse, you lose access to XB1 games, but the 360 games are yours to keep forever.

I agree with you insofar as people should not make their lives about money. You can't take it with you, you'll be remembered not by how you made people feel and not what stuff you had, etc., yes, I agree.

But that is not the purpose of a company. The purpose of a non-profit is to accomplish a goal while also NOT losing money. The purpose of a for-profit company is to turn a profit. The entire purpose of a company directly involves money...you can't separate the two concepts. The company can't exist without the money.

MS is making these pro-consumer choices not because they love us but because they feel they're investing in their future, as in the future of the company. Not every company thinks this way all the time. They have also done everything they could in the past to retain monopolies on OS and office software. (Google is now a major threat in both of those areas.)
Maybe even really caring would help them get rewards

I definitely understand people and business etc

And I get they can't pay people to make what we enjoy if they don't make money etc

I do think some salaries in tech are way too high. This also makes games to expensive. I get that skill, time is needed but why are these jobs needing 100k a year?

It just isn't the business but all people that create these money and expensive item wants mentality.

People have issues and they would rather buy things for self complacency. Does it really make sense. No. But it's what many have been trained into, they just can't shake it. Ask your self today, any of you. Can you lose all your things right now and be ok? I can, I can as I know it's not like but the life people make.

I can accept it, it may feel it's terrible to me too but I get its not true as I may initially feel.

I won't feel bad to lose a job either. I get in not a typical person though, but glad I do have understanding. Even the smartest of people won't always have that ability.

spock

Wow, just when I was questioning my Xbox one s purchase over a ps4, this along with the Xbox access Netflix like future is really solidifying my choice. I just bought some games during this recent sale I'd like to refund or exchange if possible. Credit would be fine with me to. Love the direction MS has been heading in general. If Scorpio has a good trade in program I'll upgrade, which is not something I was really thinking about.

Edit: also makes going all digital that much more appealing.

Stealth50

Wow! Didn't expect any console makers to pick up this practice. Mostly because I don't see that big of a need for it on consoles compared to on PC. On console you can easily look up how a game performs before buying it, whereas on PC your specific setup can unexpectedly struggle with certain games. Sure, a gamemaker can have over-promised features or maybe the game is just bad, but that's easily researched before buying.

I mean, I'm not gonna complain since it's obviously as pro-consumer as it gets but I don't think Microsoft would have added this feature if it were not to add cohesion between their PC and console ecosystem and to win goodwill. It strengthens my suspicion that they might, for the same reasons, announce the removal of the paywall for online multiplayer on Xbox at E3. Add full Xbox (Original to Scorpio) backwards compatibility and some kick-ass game announcements onto that and I think MS, following this E3, might reclaim a fair chunk of market share from Sony. Exciting months ahead!

Rellik

Can't believe people are still defending Sony's pathetic decision to not give an option.

Top Bottom