• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You think this is the tipping point? I know we get excited for things like this, but joe schmo are going to continue down the same path they have been on.

No not at all. I just meant Sony probably won't react to this until MS makes up a lot of ground between the X1 and the PS4. I'd actually love for Sony to implement this but they're doing so well I don't think they'll take this change to heart unless the general gaming community gets on board and starts making noise about this. Sony made some really great consumer friendly moves in the back half of the PS3 when they were trying to catch up to MS and MS hardly reacted until after the tables had turned with the launch of the current gen of consoles.

No not at all. I just meant Sony probably won't react to this until MS makes up a lot of ground between the X1 and the PS4. I'd actually love for Sony to implement this but they're doing so well I don't think they'll take this change to heart unless the general gaming community gets on board and starts making noise about this.

One time I called Sony after I had preordered a game to cancel it (after the game came out but before I had downloaded it).

The fully refunded me and when I went to my download cue, the game was still there, available to download...sorta unrelated but pretty awesome

Boke1879

No not at all. I just meant Sony probably won't react to this until MS makes up a lot of ground between the X1 and the PS4. I'd actually love for Sony to implement this but they're doing so well I don't think they'll take this change to heart unless the general gaming community gets on board and starts making noise about this.

I think Sony eventually does something like this. Digital and their network services are making a lot of money for them. So at some point I do expect it.

Like I said early. MS most likely did this more so in the case of Windows 10 in an effort to compete with Steam.

wihio

Oh this is great except:

• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT. The only reason I want to refund my recent purchase of Forza is because I cannot fucking download it. Your shit service does not have a robust pause/resume download function, does not show rate of transfer, and randomly restarts downloading 52.29GB of data.

I have downloaded 18GB, then reset, then 26GB, then reset, then 4gb, reset, now 2.35GB and reset. I would be nearly done downloading it at this point, but no, I am starting over at 0.

I wish I could torrent the data files from another source!

Good job Phil Spencer and Team Xbox. Another great move. As long as we are in the listening mood though...please give use some more Rare reboots xD

Ah, well i tried lol

icespide

Banned
Oh this is great except:

• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT. The only reason I want to refund my recent purchase of Forza is because I cannot fucking download it. Your shit service does not have a robust pause/resume download function, does not show rate of transfer, and randomly restarts downloading 52.29GB of data.

I have downloaded 18GB, then reset, then 26GB, then reset, then 4gb, reset, now 2.35GB and reset. I would be nearly done downloading it at this point, but no, I am starting over at 0.

I mean at that point you have to contact customer service, surely they'll refund you. relax

Oh this is great except:

Just email them. Their support is the best in gaming; when my Games with Gold copy of Thief wouldn't boot (and after deleting to reinstall, it actually wanted to charge me) MS support just gave me a key for it lol.

Spman2099

Great news, I hope it has an impact on the rest of the industry. Microsoft is really rocking it these days.

My only one concern is that some shorter games will potentially get shafted. I really enjoyed Virginia, I think games like it should be allowed to exist, but you could beat it and return it in two hours. That isn't, in my opinion, fair. Hopefully they will do something to help protect these shorter games.

Oh this is great except:

Ring them.

flkraven

Oh this is great except:

Cool down dude, just get in touch with them

Oh this is great except:

Well they seem to be on a roll, so hopefully that will be the next thing they fix.

I know. I still think it's beyond stupid.
Why do you care, and how does it affect you?

In relations to the OP, this is great news and why having Microsoft in 2nd place is good for the industry. You never want them as the leader in any space (see the 2013 Xbone debacle as exhibits A through Z) but having them around to push Sony is best for all gamers.

Zasa

Yeah, MS have been slowly but surely convincing me to buy a Scorpio this last month or two. Now I just neeed the OG Xbox BC megaton at E3, & I'm in 100%.

joesiv

I like this. Perhaps it will finally send a clear message to publishers/developers that quality is important.

Strong day one sales is one thing, but customers actually getting a worthwhile experience, will hopefully be something that is measurable now for them, if % returned is high. Their wallets will feel the impact.

we can hope anyways....

In a few years time, I would love to see some metrics on this, publisher - percent returned, for example. That would be neat!

wihio

I mean at that point you have to contact customer service, surely they'll refund you. relax

I am sure they will. I am merely frustrated by the fact that the Store simply is not cut out for this sort of data transfer, you can find plenty of evidence that supports this on countless forums. For them to attach an odd gimmick where you must download and run the app to auto-refund... it seems like the service should work better. I know, baby steps...

Purchasing Forza through the Windows Store has thus far been a disaster-- and this was my first real foray outside of the Steam/GOG-osphere. Definitely not inspiring!

icespide

Banned
I am sure they will. I am merely frustrated by the fact that the Store simply is not cut out for this sort of data transfer, you can find plenty of evidence that supports this on countless forums. For them to attach an odd gimmick where you must download and run the app to auto-refund... it seems like the service should work better. I know, baby steps...

Purchasing Forza through the Windows Store has thus far been a disaster-- and this was my first real foray outside of the Steam/GOG-osphere. Definitely not inspiring!

the windows store is a dumpster fire. I don't think anyone will argue with you there

Nzyme32

Though this is the entire problem with the old (or current) systems on other gaming services. Valve, MS, Sony, Nintendo, all had refunds via their support systems but it's very purposefully made difficult. Contacting customer service ends up being unreliable, long winded and sometime they don't even do it when you try. So rightfully people do not feel agreeable when forced upon such a system. This obviously goes far beyond games also even when you have the right to refund with certainty.

These mostly automated systems are far better when they apply to pretty much everything assuming they actually work as described and are properly arranged so that they can not be abused in practise. Only issues I can see with MS setup is just the things not eligible for refunds like DLC, Season Passes etc, and I'm sure there is more detail people will identify as they use it

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Can't see any option but for Sony to follow suit, otherwise they'll be a sudden shift in digital purchases from PSN to XBL.

Do you think NIntendo is going to offer this? And if not, why would you think Sony would have any compunction in not bothering either?

Also, bear in mind that Sony charge for download bandwidth. How is this going to work with a refund system, someone has to eat the cost.

As long as Sony is ahead I doubt they make big changes but maybe they get nervous and finally do it?

It's better to do while you're ahead and have customers to make happy but seems the game community never learns this. Other than valve.

Why wait to lose customers to entice?

Reward customers and change things that benefit all. Sony has been going down on a lot of things for me when it comes to pricing, plus games etc.

They have done better on some hardware features atleast. but services are lacking.

I like the mentality of having choice to download games even though I do think streaming should show no difference in the future but feel we are a long way off for everyone to be able to do that. We can do it today pretty accurately for some users though.

If streaming was more reliable for all I could see it being great for ultra powered games that are made for the best hardware imaginable, which is an interesting idea.. But also scary to really be dependent on today's Internet. Always having a download option seems best

Mrbob

Looking at this again the setup is actually better than Steam because self service refunds are in. Valve still dragging their feet with self service refunds on Steam.

ElNino

The only reason I want to refund my recent purchase of Forza is because I cannot fucking download it. Your shit service does not have a robust pause/resume download function, does not show rate of transfer, and randomly restarts downloading 52.29GB of data.
W10 or Xbox One? The Xbox does show rate of download and/or copy from disc.

HoodWinked

guess the math works out so that having a bigger customer service department to service refunds will cost more than just having a self service with higher rate of refunds.

i wonder if there is a way for shorter games to be exempt with clear warning.

Boke1879

As long as Sony is ahead I doubt they make big changes but maybe they get nervous and finally do it?

It's better to do while you're ahead and have customers to make happy but seems the game community never learns this. Other than valve.

Why wait to lose customers to entice?

Reward customers and change things that benefit all. Sony has been going down on a lot of things for me when it comes to pricing, plus games etc.

They have done better on some hardware features atleast. but services are lacking.

I like the mentality of having choice to download games even though I do think streaming should show no difference in the future but feel we are a long way off for everyone to be able to do that. We can do it today pretty accurately for some users though.

If streaming was more reliable for all I could see it being great for ultra powered games that are made for the best hardware imaginable, which is an interesting idea.. But also scary to really be dependent on today's Internet. Always having a download option seems best

I don't get this "sony is ahead so they won't do it" talk.

Either way they have very little to be nervous about. Nothing is going to change course in regards to console sales for the remainder of the PS4 and Xb1 this "gen"

I still expect them to do something like this regardless because of the rise in digital purchases.

Microsoft is really killing it in terms of services and policies. This is a huge announcement.

I just wish the brand had a few more games I'm interested in.

wihio

W10 or Xbox One? The Xbox does show rate of download and/or copy from disc.

W10 -- All it shows is how much data is transferred. The other odd thing is that I do not own an xbox one, but when I attempt to download Forza, it shows 2 downloads occurring at the same time with the same amount transferred. The only differences are the icons and the text-- for some reason it shows that I am downloading Forza Horizon 3 for the Xbox One and Forza Horizon 3 Standard Edition for PC.

I definitely feel spoiled with Steam!

Top Bottom