• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will provide more TV-like advertisements through XBox Live

considering ads are completely ubiquitous, i am always surprised by the vitriol that the internet spews whenever a story comes out about any kind of advertising.

they are everywhere, including on and in things we pay for. they supplement a revenue stream, they promote products you may or may not want to know about (and continually do a better job with the former), and they are not ever going to go away.

they are a little box in the corner of the screen, silent unless you hover it. unoffensive to the eyes and to your civil rights. people need to get perspective. talkin' about advertisements, man.

def sim

In my opinion, yes it is. But I am a lifelong PC gamer, and I'm used to my online gaming being subscription-free and ad-free.
A "middle" solution to me would be having a free advertisment-funded service or a paid ad-free one, that would be somewhat reasonable I guess.

If we're using PC as a base here, then both consoles are a joke in general.

The middle ground I'm asserting is not meant to be a solution rather than one reason why we wouldn't be bothered by the current and future application of ads. I pay for XBL because the online community I play games with alongside my actual friends are on the service. Party chat, in comparison to PSN, is a nice incentive as well. Once the ads get in the way of those things, then I will rightfully complain along with everyone else.

The precedent that we are all brainwashed idiots is ridiculous and completely ignores the fact why there are people that would prefer XBL to PSN.

watership

How come Steam can match XBL feature for feature and it's free? And they don't even get money from people building pcs.

It's a different business model. Valve makes it's money not from the consumers, but from the devs/publishers and other backend deals to put their games there. Valve is also not responsible for anything on the consumer side but a single app. Lots of things see "Free" but there is a lot more going on. Google's products are free, but they make 98 percent of their money from ads. Just like Facebook. Those companies use your internet use and data to sell ads. YOU are the product with Google and Facebook.

it's true. I've seen their most intimate plans for the future of XBL.

And god save those who have Kinect. In the very near future, you'll be forced to strip down to your pants and do a dance before your console even turns on. MS can already see everything you do and hear everything you say.

You can believe me, I'm a MS PR rep.

Explain how they are forcing them down consumers throats.

The ads will only be visible if you use two certain apps. That's not exactly forcing them consumers throats. So again, explain your comment.

It'll be across more than just ESPN and Last.fm. I just listed those two since I'm more familiar with them and the others aren't available in my location.

TheOddOne

And god save those who have Kinect. In the very near future, you'll be forced to strip down to your pants and do a dance before your console even turns on. MS can already see everything you do and hear everything you say.

Seems legit!

considering ads are completely ubiquitous, i am always surprised by the vitriol that the internet spews whenever a story comes out about any kind of advertising.

they are everywhere, including on and in things we pay for. they supplement a revenue stream, they promote products you may or may not want to know about (and continually do a better job with the former), and they are not ever going to go away.

they are a little box in the corner of the screen, silent unless you hover it. unoffensive to the eyes and to your civil rights. people need to get perspective. talkin' about advertisements, man.

Well said, ufcker. : )

coldfoot

Banned
It's a different business model. Valve makes it's money not from the consumers, but from the devs/publishers and other backend deals to put their games there.
So does Microsoft.

They can choose to release the xbox720 for a loss at launch with the same XBL model today, or they could choose to put a %50 profit margin on it like Apple products and make it free XBL for life. I know I'd choose the latter model if they offered one.

I will NEVER pay to access apps like Netflix or online gaming. It's the same thing as paying for the privilege of breathing air for me. I doubt many other people will either after the competition improves. The standards set by the other big players (Valve, Apple, Sony) all go against this model.

KageMaru

I've never seen such a dedicated group of people work so hard to piss on the parade of others like I see with the typical posters in any Live thread.

I can understand not paying or supporting a service or platform that doesn't fit your needs and such, but to try so hard to basically drive the point that anyone paying for Live is an idiot or we're all willing to bend over for anything, well that's just pathetic.

And you pretend to tell me that Microsoft, which is a hundred times bigger, *needs* those subscription money to maintain their crappy online thing? When they already took royalties out of those online games you purchased?

I thought your points were fair until you described their service as "crappy" which eliminates any question of bias on your part and drops credibility of one's opinion.

Also, I don't understand what royalties have to do with online services. Royalties does not necessarily cover the cost to run services like XBL or PSN.

As long as people, more importantly Americans (XBL Gold attach rate is much lower outside US/UK) don't realize that subscription costs add up over time, XBL will never be free.
That's why many people buy the $199 iPhone with ~$75/month phone bill for 2 years instead of buying the $649 unlocked iPhone with a $45/month Straight Talk subscription that uses the exact same AT&T network.
I favor the Apple model, sell the main hardware at a nice profit, but don't do this subscription to access apps bullshit. That's why I hope Apple enters the console space and teaches everyone a lesson on how to be REALLY profitable.

Oh so it's the American's fault now is it?

lol wow.

jaypah

ads are everywhere and i guess i've grown accustomed to tuning them out over the years because i honestly don't care. do i understand why no ads would be better? yes. but i simply don't care. i just find all of the "i'm a super genius because i don't pay for Live and if you do you must be stupid" talk in these threads unnecessary. if ads bothered me i'd obviously avoid them but they don't bother me. also i kind of don't give a shit what other people do with their money because.....why would i?

coldfoot

Banned
Again, why would I want a Roku when I already have a device that performs the functions I need?
It's cheaper to buy such a box if all you're interested in is accessing video services on your TV. There are people that pay for gold just for netflix/hbo go on their xbox who don't play online. They are idiots who don't know any better.
Not to mention that it'll be very hard if not impossible to find a TV that does not offer these services in the next few years, so you won't even have to buy a box.

This makes me want Kinect.

As long as people, more importantly Americans (XBL Gold attach rate is much lower outside US/UK) don't realize that subscription costs add up over time, XBL will never be free.
That's why many people buy the $199 iPhone with ~$75/month phone bill for 2 years instead of buying the $649 unlocked iPhone with a $45/month Straight Talk subscription that uses the exact same AT&T network.
I favor the Apple model, sell the main hardware at a nice profit, but don't do this subscription to access apps bullshit. That's why I hope Apple enters the console space and teaches everyone a lesson on how to be REALLY profitable.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man, thanks for the laugh, that will keep me going during the day.

XBL won't be free until their competitors offer a similar service for free. Not Steam/PC, but Sony and Nintendo. That's what people fail to comprehend.The competition is so poor at the moment that there's absolutely no reason for them to evolve or reduce the price of the service or add value by offering dedicated servers for MS oublished games, etc.

Ball is in Sony's and Ninty's court, they have the power. They will decide how XBL and it's price barrier evolves.

The truth is as much as gamers may bitch no one is going to cancel their subs over it. No one. We'll bitch and moan about it but accept it regardless.

Vote with your wallets.

I've never seen such a dedicated group of people work so hard to piss on the parade of others like I see with the typical posters in any Live thread.

I can understand not paying or supporting a service or platform that doesn't fit your needs and such, but to try so hard to basically drive the point that anyone paying for Live is an idiot or we're all willing to bend over for anything, well that's just pathetic.

I don't get this either. People say they don't own the system and don't pay for Live, they use other services that they feel are equal and free yet continue to complain when it doesn't affect them in the least. Makes no sense.

The biggest complainers are the ones least affected.

Sentenza

I thought your points were fair until you described their service as "crappy" which eliminates any question of bias on your part and drops credibility of one's opinion.
I don't see how my "bias" invalidates my valid points.
And of course I'm "biased" against Live (if by "biased" you mean I'm not fond of it).
I'm mostly a PC gamer, any online service available on consoles today is pretty much crap by my standards.

Dunlop

There are people that pay for gold just for netflix/hbo go on their xbox who don't play online. They are idiots who don't know any better.

That's one theory...or... they do not frequent NeoGaf, AV sites, have very active lives where this is not even remotely important to them

I have a hard time believing most posters actually care about this topic, shitting on the ads just seems to be the thing to do when LIVE is mentioned in any shape or form.

Vote with you dollar and don't subscribe and choose a competitor
Hook your PC up to the TV to get all the free services
etc....

surly

Banned
And of course I'm "biased" against Live (if by "biased" you mean i'm not fond of it).
I'm mostly a PC gamer, any online service available on consoles today is pretty much crap by my standards.
Xbox Live has the same features as Steam (a few more in fact), but it also has more games, demos of all XBLA and indie games, and on average outside of sales, the same games are cheaper on Live. You can buy Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet on PC for £11.99 on Steam, or you can pick it up for about £7 by buying a pre-paid MSP card. I could give you tons of examples like that. Steam's sales are better than Live's though and I guess if you're a PC gamer you're used to waiting around anyway, so you may as well wait for sales.

Sentenza

I don't get this either. People say they don't own the system and don't pay for Live, they use other services that they feel are equal and free yet continue to complain when it doesn't affect them in the least. Makes no sense.

The biggest complainers are the ones least affected.
Aren't you the same annoying dude who goes around in any thread about PC games ranting against Windows?
And then suddenly all your principles are worth nothing and you are totally fine with paying for Live.
That's rich.

And of course I'm "biased" against Live (if by "biased" you mean I'm not fond of it).

Just curious but if you don't use the service and are unaffected, why do you care so much?

Aren't you the same annoying dude who goes around in any thread about PC games ranting against Windows?
And then suddenly all your principles are worth nothing and you are totally fine with paying for Live.
That's rich.

I own a Windows machine and use it daily. My complaint is the monoply they hold. If you don't like XBL you can still use PSN or Steam. If I don't like Windows, how else do I play all the PC games? You have other options with your complaint, I do not.

Melchiah

Console wise they are. The PS3 just has Vudu, Netflix and Amazon for the US. I believe European PSN has BBC.

The EU PSN has MUBI, Music Unlimited and VidZone. Never used them myself though, so I can't comment on their features and offerings.

BBC isn't available outside UK as far as I know, just like YLE Areena isn't available outside Finland.

njean777

Just curious but if you don't use the service and are unaffected, why do you care so much?

It could affect us in the long run if all the companies decide to start charging like MS is. If this happens then we are going to be even more angry. The ones to blame will be you and all the others who pay for something that should be free.

Keyword: could. Not saying it will happen, but if it does, then you have all yourselves to blame for it.

surly

Banned
How many games are there on Steam right now? According to Wikipedia there were 1,504 back in January of this year. The Xbox Live Indie Games service alone has over 2,000, all with demos. Perhaps the Wikipedia info is wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time.

J-Rod

No one is allowed to express valid criticisms of Live in the appropriate discussion topics unless you have it and plan to keep buying it.

Sentenza

Because what's simply unjust doesn't "outrage" me only when I'm personally involved?
Also, to indulge over monopolistic and corporate market strategies on the long run is bad for everyone.

I own a Windows machine and use it daily. My complaint is the monoply they hold. If you don't like XBL you can still use PSN or Steam. If I don't like Windows, how else do I play all the PC games? You have other options with your complaint, I do not.
So you don't like Microsoft's monopoly over PC (OS side) but you love Microsoft's monopoly over Xbox, which is way more pervasive and includes even royalties on software and hardware and total control over what the console can run, which they don't have on Windows.

It doesn't make even remotely sense.

coldfoot

Banned
How many games are there on Steam right now? According to Wikipedia there were 1,504 back in January of this year. The Xbox Live Indie Games service alone has over 2,000, all with demos. Perhaps the Wikipedia info is wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time.
It says 1531 games under $10 on the website. It's also extremely disingenuous to compare XBL indie titles, most of which are junk, to older PC games that are still classics today.

Not to mention Steam is not the only store that you can buy games on the PC. Most of those XBL indie games, at least the good ones, are released first on PC anyway. You can't compare a junk 80 MSP game with a PC game like Sim City or Freelancer for example.

So you don't like Microsoft's monopoly over PC (OS side) but you love Microsoft's monopoly over Xbox, which is way more pervasive and includes even royalties on software and hardware and total control over what the console can run, which they don't have on Windows.

It doesn't make even remotely sense.

I don't love anything. I personally pay for Live because my friends in real life are there. If I didn't want to pay for Live I would just use PSN or Steam. With PC gaming there is no other option and that is my complaint. If there was, you would never see another Windows OS complaint from me ever since it wouldn't affect me.

No one is allowed to express valid criticisms of Live in the appropriate discussion topics unless you have it and plan to keep buying it.

No one is saying you can't complain. Thats what the forum is for. I'm just asking *why* if it doesn't affect you personally. Everyone has their own reasons.

surly

Banned
It says 1531 games under $10 on the website. It's also extremely disingenuous to compare XBL indie titles, most of which are junk, to older PC games that are still classics today.
I wasn't comparing anything with anything. I said that there are more games on Xbox Live than there are on Steam.

coldfoot said:
You can't compare a junk 80 MSP game with a PC game like Sim City or Freelancer for example.
I wasn't, but 80 MSP is 64 pence and the only Sim City game on Steam costs £10. Freelancer isn't even on there.

coldfoot said:
Most of those XBL indie games, at least the good ones, are released first on PC anyway.
Most of what XBL indie games? All of them? If so, that's complete bollocks.

What valid criticism? This entire thread is people either shitting on the price or having to watch mandatory ads that are forced down their throats.

The ads will appear if you use four apps, two of which I doubt anyone uses. People are using the thread to shit on MS, there are no valid criticisms of the ads and whatever criticisms there are, are over exaggerated shite.

Dunlop

Do you really think LIVE threads are ever subject to valid critism and not just the same old players spouting the same shit? It is always about ads and never any real comparisons between the stability, on-line experience and services offered

LIVE will continue to charge and ad placement will become more frequent until it hurts their bottom line, period.

Still lost as to why Steam and PC comparisons are ever brought into these threads.

For online consoles the onus is on Nintendo(lol) or Sony to find a way to pull subscribers off of LIVE and onto their services

As owner of all these systems, it is my own personal opinion that LIVE smokes the competition at the moment and well worth the $3 a month I put towards it

Zimbardo

i've been primarily a pc gamer, but i do own about 30 to 50 xbox360 games and i did pay for an Xbox Gold account for 2 years because there was some friends on there that i wanted to play some games with.

anyway, long story short ...i cancelled my Gold account, because to me it wasn't worth the money any more, and in doing so, i had to jump through some hoops to actually make sure it was cancelled and not auto renewed. (had to call in to some call center and wait around for them to turn off auto renewal, only to find out later that they didn't actually turn it off like they said. so i had to call back and go through the whole song and dance again)

anyhow, what kind of amazed me tho, was just how poorly microsoft treat their Silver users. its really quite pathetic ...basically you can't do anything. examples ...i click on a demo and it says i need a Gold account to access it, i click on Youtube and it says i need Gold, i click on UFC and i need Gold. anything that is worth looking at = you need Gold.

so basically the console is pretty useless without Gold ...which really gets me angry at times, because i did drop $300 to $400 on their console/accessories, i did buy a lot of their games ...yet i'm not good enough in their eyes to even watch a fucking Youtube video.

i will never ever buy another microsoft console. its amazing how bastardly cheapass they are on there. just nickle and dimed to death.

Kujo

Hey guys I need to renew my XBL soon, where can I get a code for $30-40? The standard price is $80 here

TheNatural

My Member!
Serious question: how many people have saw an ad for something that they found annoying and they went out and bought the product, or even remembered what the hell it was? I understand there are different goals of marketing, like simple awareness, and not all are to sell a product. But sheesh, I wonder how effective some of these companies think these are?

This is precisely why I stopped paying for Gold. You see MS most people pay for premium services to, get this, have less ads! I know insane right?

Serious question: how many people have saw an ad for something that they found annoying and they went out and bought the product, or even remembered what the hell it was? I understand there are different goals of marketing, like simple awareness, and not all are to sell a product. But sheesh, I wonder how effective some of these companies think these are?

Some people are more susceptible to it then others, I know ads never work on me. Most of the time I just like seeing an ad for a product I already own or wanted, but I have never bought or been influenced to buy a product because of an ad.

Interfectum

Xbox Indie vs Steam? Really?? lol

Zimbardo

i thought i remember hearing/reading that Steam had over 3000 games?

i'm sure they must have more than Xbox Live for God's sake.

Never.

Top Bottom