• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will provide more TV-like advertisements through XBox Live

1-D_FTW

MS looked at the emergence of DVRs and how nobody watches live tv anymore and said... the people clearly love commercials. Give them commercials.

Derrick01

Banned
Aint nothing wrong with this. All y'all are just entitled whiners.

Gaf has overused this so many times in the last month and a half that I can no longer detect if it's sarcasm or not. Well played if it is.

On topic: Can you even use espn and last.fm without a gold membership? That makes the ridiculousness of this even better if you can't.

jj350

Banned
Free with ads
Paid with no ads

This seems like a fair compromise.

Exactly, if they are going to advertise everywhere and force you to sit through ads, they better be thinking about offering a free service, or at the very least do what Hulu does and make the subscription cheap... somewhere around $20 a year might justify the increased ads.

Sean

Banned
Exactly, if they are going to advertise everywhere and force you to sit through ads, they better be thinking about offering a free service, or at the very least do what Hulu does and make the subscription cheap... somewhere around $20 a year might justify the increased ads.

Not the best example since Hulu Plus starts at $8 a month which comes out to $96 a year (far more expensive than Gold). I agree with your point though.

thirty

Banned
most of you here spend double that on your cable bill every MONTH and it's full of ads. The ads on live aren't as bad as television or internet ads AT ALL.

thirty

Banned
The thing is is it's pretty damn easy to defend if you use the service every day. All you'll see whinning are the "I'm glad I cancelled" people. You cancelled because you saw no benefit. Bravo. I for one use it for netflix, Iheartradio, last.fm, movie rentals if I just don't feel like going out or if redbox is out of something. Then there are the games. Live truly has become a defacto entertainment hub. I'd say I honestly use it MORE than cable and I still pay for that shit. Fees aren't going anywhere, ads aren't going anywhere and it'll continue to grow because like it or not, it's a good service. Deal with it.

Piggus

The thing is is it's pretty damn easy to defend if you use the service every day. All you'll see whinning are the "I'm glad I cancelled" people. You cancelled because you saw no benefit. Bravo. I for one use it for netflix, Iheartradio, last.fm, movie rentals if I just don't feel like going out or if redbox is out of something. Then there are the games. Live truly has become a defacto entertainment hub. I'd say I honestly use it MORE than cable and I still pay for that shit. Fees aren't going anywhere, ads aren't going anywhere and it'll continue to grow because like it or not, it's a good service. Deal with it.

You can do pretty much the same with PSN but without a yearly fee and a bunch of adds cluttering up the interface. Yeah, I know XBL has its perks but the ads are hard to defend against when you consider that the competition provides a very similar service for free and with a lot less ads.

thirty

Banned
But there's not a bunch of ads. And you can't do the same on psn and what you can do isn't nearly as easy. I have a ps3 as many here do and if it were as easy LIVE would have died a long time ago.

Piggus

But there's not a bunch of ads. And you can't do the same on psn and what you can do isn't nearly as easy. I have a ps3 as many here do and if it were as easy LIVE would have died a long time ago.

I have XBL and PSN. I don't see how it's harder to rent movies, use Netflix, and access services like Last.fm on PS3. Am I missing something? As for the ads, I'm not shown ads for shows and movies when the PS3 boots into the OS. On the Xbox dashboard, the biggest freakin' square window on the screen is used to promote some other show/movie/service.

Oh wow, you use it for Netflix?

So you're paying for TWO subscriptions. Clever.

xxczx

wait so if im getting this right, you have to pay for xbox live and last.fm subscriber fee (which last.fm states has no ads) to get ads?

sleepykyo

I have XBL and PSN. I don't see how it's harder to rent movies, use Netflix, and access services like Last.fm on PS3. Am I missing something? As for the ads, I'm not shown ads for shows and movies when the PS3 boots into the OS. On the Xbox dashboard, the biggest freakin' square window on the screen is used to promote some other show/movie/service.

A lot of those services are exclusive to the 360.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Awesome, just what XBL needed, more ads.

I won't be renewing again in a week or two. The only reason I renewed two months ago, was because it was $2.

rozay

Banned
If you are paying $60 a year for a service that competitors offer for free, you are entitled to complain when the service you are paying for increases advertising.
[gaffer]don't want ads? don't pay for it, you entitled consumer[/gaffer]

Foffy

Banned
So, do Gold users get no ads, or does Microsoft only justify paying for online simply because they claim it's worth something?

I haven't had Gold for nearly two years, and I feel better off not paying for such a service.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Considering you need a Gold sub to watch ESPN3, you are basically paying MS for the ability to serve you ads.

This company really is the worst. They deserve credit for what they did in establishing the network, but they are fucking it all up.

thirty said:

The flaw in this logic is that you don't need to pay a gatekeeper to use any of those services on any number of devices.

sleepykyo

Exclusive? You don't need a 360 to access any of those services as far as I know. I don't have to pay a yearly fee to use last.fm on my PC or iPhone for example.

Console wise they are. The PS3 just has Vudu, Netflix and Amazon for the US. I believe European PSN has BBC.

If it wasn't for a good deal I caught on the 12 month subscription, I would have never renewed. Don't see myself renewing anytime after either. If Xbox 720 charges for Live (which I'm sure it will), they can count me out!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
You have to have gold to use netflix? lol. Use a PC.

I mean really that's a total rip off. Microsoft's own Windows 7 general purpose OS costs $100-150 OEM for lifetime support of a general purpose OS that can basically run anything. Why would you confine yourself to a console with ads when the cost is higher?

Hell, you could probably find software on Ubuntu for free.

Burai

shitonmychest57
A lot of those services are exclusive to the 360.

So long as you don't own one of the multitude of other devices that provide these services for free.

I presume Microsoft have seen the writing on the wall and want to double down on the niche that'll pay a premium. Can't say I blame them, can't say I'll be joining them.

Top Bottom