• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

Raistlin

For every problem there is a solution.

http://www.silicondust.com/

I use their tuners to watch TV. You can stream the signal anywhere. They have a cable card solution.

I am under the impression it has to be a WME device to view cable card content that isn't free and clear (which is most).

Maybe that has changed though. It used to be part of the deal MS struck with CableLabs IIRC. Maybe they let the license lapse?

eastmen

Banned
Since this is the Internet and I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic, I'll just say you misread what I wrote.

I meant that I use a $100 android based xbmc device as an extender. I dropped using my 360 as an extender a while ago because i found its use limited. There is even an ouya xbmc build. Xbmc can play .dvr-ms and .wtv files.

My WMC is a custom build i3 sandy bridge pc. Of course it cost more the $100.

So your using XBMC , will that play my windows media center recordings. I had a bitch of a time setting it up 2 or 3 years ago to try and it wouldn't read any of my files then.

Sorral

Not surprised that they are changing things like that.

It seems the functionality was tied to this patent trial and Microsoft didn't add it to the X1 until it had the green light.
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...ial-on-google-s-patent-licensing-tactics.html

Apparently Google, through Motorola, wanted a chunk of the Xbox earnings because it claimed to have patents on video streaming over WiFi.

"Do no evil" and all that bullshit. LOL

OT: But look at what happened before that. They all sue each other anyway.

madmackem

Removing a feature that was there in previous xbox is always going to piss people off however little they used it, just like ps4 supporting 4 pads instead of 7 on ps3 people will bitch at anything even if they never used that function in the past.

eastmen

Banned
Removing a feature that was there in previous xbox is always going to piss people off however little they used it, just like ps4 supporting 4 pads instead of 7 on ps3 people will bitch at anything even if they never used that function in the past.

I agree

Doodis

Just think how pissed off those of us that use it every day are.

eastmen

Banned
Well biklin claims that they disbanded the media center team. So its basicly a dead product.

This is by far one of the dumber things they have done .

Well biklin claims that they disbanded the media center team. So its basicly a dead product.

This is by far one of the dumber things they have done .

WMC has been dead in the water for years, but this is the final nail. I mean, we had to BEG to get support for it in Windows 7 AND 8. Even then, you only got it free in Windows 8 if you bought it early.

eastmen

Banned
WMC has been dead in the water for years, but this is the final nail. I mean, we had to BEG to get support for it in Windows 7 AND 8. Even then, you only got it free in Windows 8 if you bought it early.
I dont mind paying. Hell I wouldnt mind paying for an xbox one app.

I wouldnt even mind paying a small monthly fee for guide data. If its under 10 a month id still be saving a good $80 monthly

xemumanic

Only had to beg for it in 8. It got massively upgraded in 7.

I am under the impression it has to be a WME device to view cable card content that isn't free and clear (which is most).

Maybe that has changed though. It used to be part of the deal MS struck with CableLabs IIRC. Maybe they let the license lapse?
The new ones can stream to any dlna client.

Seriously, I really need to know what is meant by this. It would be awesome if IGN even bothered to do some kind of follow up on this answer, because this is a pretty damn big deal if they're saying what I think they are.

FIX THIS NOW MICROSOFT. NOW.

Seriously if this is not a feature of the Xbox One day one I am going to be so pissed off.

I have been using free to air tv from a tv card in the PC, as well as stored media, music tv etc. We all use it and tbh this is a real kick in the teeth for me

THIS THIS SO MUCH THIS.

I was waiting for the XBOX One to be a SILENT media center extender. So much disappoint right now.

chupon

Entrecôte;80421445 said:
What about plugging in a receiver to the in port so you can switch between myriad input devices, think that'll work?

Er, you mean like an AV receiver? That doesn't really change anything.

Currently I use my 360s (two of them) in conjunction with my HTPC to watch live and recorded TV.

With this confirmation that the XBONE won't do this nateively I have no incentive to get one at launch. This is really a disappointment. I don't see why they can't include this unless it's at the request of cable and content providers so they can bring their apps to the XBONE UI.

Assuming there would be any support for a dead media center tech is borderline delusional.

If you are so tied in to media center, and need to upgrade, buy a small form factor pc for half the price of an Xbox .

Otherwise your 360 isn't going to combust.

Me, I am running my acer htpc hdmi into the hdmi in, and watching WMC live OTA through there, and streaming local media through Plex, or chrome casting it on the other hdmi port. Or using my roku.

There are a million solutions that don't involve cursing Bill Gates to the heavens when MS has nearly zero reason to support media center, much less the extender functionality which in 2005 was novel but never took off. Dead tech. I am sure there are a whole bunch of bullet points the Xbox one engineering team has to deal with, things that won't make it, things pushing to tier 2 and 3...WMC is probably at the bottom.

If you use media center, none of the above should be shocking. It is getting less and less support from everywhere.

Wow. You seem angry.

What you also fail to understand is that copy-protected recordings will not play on shared PCs. Only extenders can play what's been protected on a PC. So cable-card recordings are useless on home-made PCs.

Biker19

Banned
Not a true gaming console? Come on...

He's right, though. Microsoft has clearly made Xbox One as a entertainment/media hub/Kinect box in mind first, & gaming second, while both the Original Xbox & the Xbox 360 as gaming machines first.

If you don't believe it, then go back & read EventHorizon's post here. What he said is what Iacobellis was trying to say to you.

chupon

Wow. You seem angry.

What you also fail to understand is that copy-protected recordings will not play on shared PCs. Only extenders can play what's been protected on a PC. So cable-card recordings are useless on home-made PCs.

Yep that's pretty much it. Cable Labs approved devices are relatively new and few exist. People using Ceton or HDHome Run Prime (me) instead of OTA tuners really need something like WMC. I wasn't planning on getting rid of my 360s, but it's a selling point for me if the XBONE included this feature otherwise I am losing value.

Ushae

Banned
With the compatibility with Windows Store surely there has to be a media player for all other file types? For example Surface has an app called mobile.HD that can play more or less anything you throw at it. I fucking loathe when companies refuse to include support for other video formats.

I play a fair bit of content off my NAS, this NEEDS to be a paid app or something supported in some capacity.

Top Bottom