• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

eastmen

Banned
Xbox One supports Miracast and Windows 8.1 supports Miracast. You cannot only stream a single video file, but the whole flipping screen.

that's great if you only want one xbox one . I have 5 xbox 360s that I want to replace at some point in the future that all stream different channels at the same time. So miracast doesn't help

It's just really confusing. It's hard to tell what's what anymore

● Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
● "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
● Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
● External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
● Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
● Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

I posted this in another thread... and this is just stuff we're learning of post 180s, if you factor in all the changes that occurred as a result of the 180s, it's gotta be the most confusing launch in videogame history. I am seriously having trouble keeping track, and I'm way more tuned into the industry than the average consumer, so imagine what they are going to think.
Damn amirox, if this were a rap battle, you would have just ether'd the XBOne and ended it's career, son. Yikes. I don't think I've ever seen one company do so many on the fly policy changes before launching the successor to it's most successful product.

watership

Whiten didn't say you couldn't stream to the Xbox One. He specifically said there is no "native windows media extender client". He's speaking only about Windows Media Centre, which is a specific product. Even if I never booted up the windows media extender in the Xbox 360, I could still use a media server to stream content to the 360. Doesn't matter if was a windows share, or a PS3 media server, or TVserity.

eastmen

Banned
Don't know why I'm bothering... but Whiten didn't say you couldn't stream to the Xbox One. He specifically said there is no "native windows media extender client". He's speaking only about Windows Media Centre, which is a specific product. Even if I never booted up the windows media extender in the Xbox 360, I could still use a media server to stream content to the 360. Doesn't matter if was a windows share, or a PS3 media server, or TVserity.

How is this detail completely misunderstood? It's like your not reading.

we all got that. windows media extender isn't avalible for the xbox one. Which sucks for those of us that use it.

JaggedSac

we all got that. windows media extender isn't avalible for the xbox one. Which sucks for those of us that use it.

Plug a 360 or cheap extender(IR blaster could work with this, not sure about the 360 and if you couldn't, using a controller would be worse imo) into your Bone HDMI In?

eastmen

Banned
Plug a 360 or cheap extender(IR blaster could work with this, not sure about the 360 and if you couldn't, using a controller would be worse imo) into your Bone HDMI In?

it may be possible , but its a lot of hassle. The 360 doesn't exactly sip power and neither does the one.

My plan was to replace an xbox 360 and bluray player one at a time in the house. Not to buy another $500 device to plug into a device I spent $200-$400 on

JaggedSac

it may be possible , but its a lot of hassle. The 360 doesn't exactly sip power and neither does the one.

My plan was to replace an xbox 360 and bluray player one at a time in the house. Not to buy another $500 device to plug into a device I spent $200-$400 on

I hear ya dude. Sounds sucky, but figured there might be some $35-$50 extenders out there that could work until some solution was developed for the Bone.

KoopaTheCasual

Damn amirox, if this were a rap battle, you would have just ether'd the XBOne and ended it's career, son. Yikes. I don't think I've ever seen one company do so many on the fly policy changes before launching the successor to it's most successful product.

Amirox right now.
dY37zsg.gif

kitch9

Banned
Jesus, all Microsft had to do was make an upgraded 360 and they would have been swimming in cash. Then at that point they could have lead a value driven push to the "features" they think the market wants instead of forcing it upon the market.

How the fuck do you go from that to this abortion? I'll never understand the mentality of suits always looking for shortcuts to the pots of money.

Jesus, all Microsft had to do was make an upgraded 360 and they would have been swimming in cash. Then at that point they could have lead a value driven push to the "features" they think the market wants instead of forcing it upon the market.

How the fuck do you go from that to this abortion? I'll never understand the mentality of suits always looking for shortcuts to the pots of money.
ibiIDGpglPqrN7.jpg

kitsuneyo

I can't believe so many people are streaming video to their 360. It's a terrible system that hardly plays any formats. You can buy all kinds of low-power, no-noise, no-paywall streaming boxes for buttons.

eastmen

Banned
I can't believe so many people are streaming video to their 360. It's a terrible system that hardly plays any formats. You can buy all kinds of low-power, no-noise, no-paywall streaming boxes for buttons.
Show me my media center extender options.

BigDug13

Apart from "ditch it", I can't. What's so essential about Media Center?

OTA HDTV recording which can be streamed to various media center extenders seems to be the main feature people are concerned about. Basically people who have "cut the cable" and use Media Center as a DVR system for local HD channels without the need for subscription services of inferior video and sound quality like Hulu Plus.

At least that's what I gathered from the people that use Media Center with 360 in this thread. I may be wrong though.

thepg12

Neo Member
Show me my media center extender options.

I don't really think you have options outside of the 360. Especially if you're on/planning to be on Windows 8 since Windows 8 broke a lot of media center extender compatibility outside of the 360. I loved media center but sadly the writing was on the wall a while ago.

I've never even quite understood the point of this functionality (maybe because I don't have a 360). Why not just use DLNA? It's a media streaming standard that works with loads of software and devices.

It was a way for people to extend DVR functionality to different rooms while only having one main machine handling most of the work. Those people have legitimate complaints. All the other complaints are based on an assumption that DLNA won't be there (a crazy assumption that they made from an answer about media center extender).

I don't see the reason for all worry. An app will surely be available to cover it unless people seriously believe X1 won't support such a basic feature.

Ushae

Banned
I bet my left nut that they (or a 3rd party) will release an app via the store to allow streaming of all media types. And of course it will be a paid app. As long as it's something reasonable in the range of £5-£10 I'd be happy with that as a solution.

OP there will definitely be a solution for this, as I also want this feature badly. I'm positive this will come in the form of an app.

Edit: Wait a minute, doesn't X1 support miracast and wifi-direct?

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't really think you have options outside of the 360. Especially if you're on/planning to be on Windows 8 since Windows 8 broke a lot of media center extender compatibility outside of the 360. I loved media center but sadly the writing was on the wall a while ago.

It was a way for people to extend DVR functionality to different rooms while only having one main machine handling most of the work. Those people have legitimate complaints. All the other complaints are based on an assumption that DLNA won't be there (a crazy assumption that they made from an answer about media center extender).

"DLNA was owned by Sony and recently this past year sold for 458 Million."

Actually I'm correcting myself it was this that Sony sold DENA;
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/04/sony-liquidates-more-assets-drops-dena-shares/

I was planning on just keeping my HTPC plugged into the Xbox HDMI in and using the TV function as intended. My bigger concern is how much it will complicate my harmony remote controlling the PC, how well it will control via IR to the PC dongle, and if XBMC on the PC will even be viable through it.

It is the way of life, shit upgrades, we who go the hard way with HTPC know the game. We deal.

I am OTA only, so really I am happy any way I can get the signal out from my HDhomeruns as smoothly as possible, bonus if my win7 can get its interface out to Xbox without too much trouble.

Just gotta keep it wife friendly.

Worst case is the PC stays on its own HDMI in.

I still don't know what is going on. Part of my aversion to this system is the incredibly muddled messaging.
It is new. Things will clarify once it is in stores, reviews and breakdowns are published. In the months after release apps will be released to fill the use gaps, tutorials will be written, forums will fill out and whatever the specific barrier we have to our particular setup will have a fix.

It is how it always goes. Same thing happened with cable cards, with win Vista to win 7 then to win 8, network tuners, dlna, all the bs we wade through building an HTPC.

You make it work or you figure something else out. Nothing more to it.

Wow so no one at ms wants to talk about this.
Maybe there is nothing to say. Media Center is practically End of Life. It is clear that they want streaming apps as the video platform.

It has to be a tiny minority still using 360s as extenders, and I am sure their are much higher priorities.

If it works, great but I wouldn't count on it. Or buy a cheap 360 and daisy chain it to the Xbox One. Media Center and backwards compatibility in one fell swoop.

One of the perks of Windows Media Center was how it downloaded guide data for free.
Tivo and other DVRs actually charge a monthly or lifetime fee for that.

I guess MS would rather kill off MCEs than deal with providing a free service.

Amir0x

Banned

It wasn't intended that way... Microsoft has just been making it so easy this go around. And I also think it's a sort of service to myself, even if no one else wants it, to try to keep track of these companies and their confused PR. I did a similar thing back before the 180s to illustrate the level of fuck ups that have surrounded the Xbox One unveiling, and that list was much, much larger. If I combined every change and confused PR move since I made THAT list, i can probably double its size lol

eastmen

Banned
You might as well move your media center PC over there if it comes to that. It will certainly be faster.

Edit: The application that is, not the set up.
I have my htpc on another floor. Its eired directly to my router. So there is no way im moving it amd having to deal with wifi streaming

To bad ms is silent about this

tl;dr edition: native Windows Media Centre support is out, but I've heard that DLNA support is in, so I would imagine it's possible to jury-rig WMC compatibility.

akira28

So does that mean you can't use media server or stream stuff from PC? lol if true

Nope. Netflix. Cheaters must pay.

Which is funny, because so many of my friends used their 360s for this alone. They've all since moved on to Raspberry Pis and shit.

Because they were chasing Apple and Google TV box and not game console. The Kinect was suppose to make it easy to control the TV (via voices command). The problem is they price this thing at $500.00 and then it didn't really have all the TV functions.

I agree that they could do 360X10, retain all backward compatibility (which would have gotten them many Xbox 360 owners) and huge digital library. At this point I wouldn't be surprise if stuffs in the Xbox Live stores aren't going to be ready when Xbox One launch. They are now handling three difference marketplace, Windows RT, Xbox and Windows Phone. It's no wonder they axed Zune and Windows Live.

see5harp

tl;dr edition: native Windows Media Centre support is out, but I've heard that DLNA support is in, so I would imagine it's possible to jury-rig WMC compatibility.

Personally I never liked the implementation of windows media center. It was superlaggy if you had a sizable library. I always preferred just transcoding via other methods. I suppose if you actually use your computer As your tv and/Or DVR you can be upset. I'd probably go with the Hdmi input for that stuff.

Heretic

Stick with my fleet of 360s. Use the $700 in preordered xbox one stuff towards a video card for my gaming pc

That blows. You're one of the few around that I see was excited about the XOne. Sorry it didn't work out for you at launch.

Hopefully they get something working for situations like yours.

Top Bottom