• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

eastmen

Banned
They don't get a cut of the action when you stream recorded TV from your own PC.

They want you watching Netflix and paying for your Xbox live to do so. Make sense?

so charge $10 or $15 to install it and then put it behind the live pay wall. Doesn't bother me .

I think we know how committed MS are to streaming on the Xbone when you only have to look at how a regular HDTV these days accepts more types of media than the 360. Support for 5.1 still sucks, and hasn't been updated in years.

When a TV is better than your dedicated "media center" device, you've failed.

Doodis

Dammit, Microsoft. You've seriously screwed up pretty much everything that can be screwed up. I use my PC as my DVR and stream through Windows Media Center to two 360s in the house.

I'm not planning on selling those, so I'm still okay, but hell's sake, it would be nice not to have to revert to my old system for features the new system is lacking. Good grief.

quickwhips

It seems maybe I jumped to conclusion and all 360 features are in? Cool MS needs to hire some people who can clear things up better.

I have. It was fine in 2006, but there are better alternatives. Even boxee box has a better UI. If you're talking about purely streaming TV, you're better off getting multiple set top boxes and just using your PC to record and stream out video over DLNA to whatever device you prefer.

I'm better off buying multiple set top boxes and streaming the video to my PC, then back out. Over using the program that's built into windows 7 and works reliably and intuitively?

Ok....

eastmen

Banned
I think we know how committed MS are to streaming on the Xbone when you only have to look at how a regular HDTV these days accepts more types of media than the 360. Support for 5.1 still sucks, and hasn't been updated in years.

When a TV is better than your dedicated "media center" device, you've failed.

So when a product released in 2013 supports more formats and media than a product released in 2005 means MS failed ?

I don't disagree. But people would bitch incessantly if they did this.

I don't think they would. For those running media centers they know $10 bucks is a drop in the bucket and now with one live account per house hold its a much smaller fee than the cost of buying cable company hardware.

USC-fan

Banned
I have. It was fine in 2006, but there are better alternatives. Even boxee box has a better UI. If you're talking about purely streaming TV, you're better off getting multiple set top boxes and just using your PC to record and stream out video over DLNA to whatever device you prefer.

It's clear you have never used it and dlna is terrible.

I am kinda intrigued by this and what Eastmen has said, I almost feel like plugging my 360 back in (last year or two nothing of value has released so yeah i shelved it as my ps3 makes a better DLNA device) and running the media extender to see what it is all about but i am not sure what live tv I am getting from it? I guess ill look it up.

thepg12

Neo Member
They don't get a cut of the action when you stream recorded TV from your own PC.

They want you watching Netflix and paying for your Xbox live to do so. Make sense?

Then why would they let it control your DVR and do the TV guide stuff without XBLG? This whole thing is probably more about phasing out Windows Media Center

harSon

Banned

I used it religiously for a long time, but it's pretty shit compared to existing alternatives. Honestly speaking, you're better off turning an old but capable computer/laptop into an XBMC machine, and investing in some Raspberry Pi's to use as extenders.

So when a product released in 2013 supports more formats and media than a product released in 2005 means MS failed ?

When a product that doesn't bill itself as such (a TV) is better than one that does, yes, they've failed. When I see others ditching it as a media player (not just myself) because MS refuse to support widely-accepted formats and adapt to changing conditions, they've failed. They want their hardware in the living room, yet all they've done is allow it to be replaced by other devices that do a better job on the side.

And your comment about release dates is particularly disingenuous given that TVs several years old can do this, and the 360 can most definitely receive software updates to fix this (see MP4/DivX support). Hell, in the case of AC3 support, they already had the code/license in 2005 since the 360 has supported it on DVDs from day 1.

thepg12

Neo Member
I am kinda intrigued by this and what Eastmen has said, I almost feel like plugging my 360 back in (last year or two nothing of value has released so yeah i shelved it as my ps3 makes a better DLNA device) and running the media extender to see what it is all about but i am not sure what live tv I am getting from it? I guess ill look it up.

It can be a little laggy at times but it's pretty cool. You won't get live tv though unless you have a tv tuner hooked up to the computer you'll be streaming from.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm not going to miss the Media Center Extender really. Whichever console gets a functioning Plex app becomes my media box.

They won't need plex apps as long they support DLNA which I would expect both of them to do.

JaggedSac

DLNA isn't the greatest, but you were wrong earlier when you said you cannot rewind or fast forward over it. I've used the 360 DLNA capabilities to stream from my Plex server just fine with rewind and fast forward.

They won't need plex apps as long they support DLNA which I would expect both of them to do.

Plex UI will be fucking excellent on the Bone. That's what will be nice.

MaulerX

I think the key word here is "native". It might not be native, but that doesn't mean it won't be available as an app download from their XB1 app store. Or some other alternative.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Xbox One is a Miracast receiver. Nothing to worry about.

AFAIK, Miracast only works over WiFi Direct. Not sure how that is supported among current and older devices.

USC-fan

Banned
DLNA isn't the greatest, but you were wrong earlier when you said you cannot rewind or fast forward over it. I've used the 360 DLNA capabilities to stream from my Plex server just fine with rewind and fast forward.

Plex UI will be fucking excellent on the Bone. That's what will be nice.

I was talking about recorded TVs. Not just any video file. Also you are isobar a third party application. Try just using dlna.

I broke the news to my cousin and this is what he replied. I thought it's hilarious.

I swear i feel like sony sent a spy into MS named Don Mattrick to ruin everything people liked about the xbox

and the hits keep on coming.... lol

and the hits keep on coming.... lol

Maybe they should've called it the X-Wife

iTPivLK1kanbg.jpg

majorscud

PS4 will support it too. It is part of the Blu Ray spec. If a device can play a Blu Ray disc, it has to check for Cinavia DRM in the content it is displaying.

The bad news is that last I checked there was no way to remove Cinavia DRM and it even survives digital to analog conversions. The good news is that it doesn't prevent the content from being shown. It is up to the player to do that. Media extenders that don't have Blu Ray capabilities have no reason to check for DRM so they will play it just fine.
Correct. Stinks you'll still need a media extender when these two machines could be doing the job.

Oppo

I love the way they drop support for these once-heralded initiatives.

"Oh, that? Yeah, that doesn't work anymore."

Reeks of PlaysForSure.

IS THIS THE REAL LIFE

A lot of people use these consoles for much more than just gaming devices. I mean, sure, if we had no such devices being made, then we probably wouldn't desire to have one as much and just take what's there to get our gaming pleasure, but when your gaming console more or less serves you in such an important expanded capacity, you get pissed at the thought that it could go away in a newer version of the console.

I'm much less concerned now after seeing Xbox Video support the 360 through play to, however. All that's really left now is Microsoft having a better software solution in place to work with the Xbox One, so the Xbox One can see the entire library available on the pc. I'd be fine with similar support as what's present on the Xbox 360 as far as codec and container support, since I just make sure my stuff is properly converted to work regardless. Although proper support for MKV would be awesome.

A lot of people use these consoles for much more than just gaming devices. I mean, sure, if we had no such devices being made, then we probably wouldn't desire to have one as much and just take what's there to get our gaming pleasure, but when your gaming console more or less serves you in such an important expanded capacity, you get pissed at the thought that it could go away in a newer version of the console.

I'm much less concerned now after seeing Xbox Video support the 360 through play to, however. All that's really left now is Microsoft having a better software solution in place to work with the Xbox One, so the Xbox One can see the entire library available on the pc. I'd be fine with similar support as what's present on the Xbox 360 as far as codec and container support, since I just make sure my stuff is properly converted to work regardless. Although proper support for MKV would be awesome.

MKV will never happen for either PS4 or X1 :( It's all a dream.

DBT85

MKV will never happen for either PS4 or X1 :( It's all a dream.

I really don't understand this assumption.

Why would Sony support it in their Bluray players, Tablets, Phones, TVs and lord knows what else which combined sell millions and millions more units than the PS4 will, but they'll NEVER allow it on the PS4.

I really don't understand this assumption.

Why would Sony support it in their Bluray players, Tablets, Phones, TVs and lord knows what else which combined sell millions and millions more units than the PS4 will, but they'll NEVER allow it on the PS4.

Man I hope they do

Just build VLC into it as an option and I'll be good

GavinGT

Banned
I used it religiously for a long time, but it's pretty shit compared to existing alternatives. Honestly speaking, you're better off turning an old but capable computer/laptop into an XBMC machine, and investing in some Raspberry Pi's to use as extenders.

I don't know. I spent 2 minutes configuring WMC and it worked perfectly. I spent like a dozen hours tinkering with XBMC and I couldn't even get most of my cable channels to come through.

JaggedSac

Man I hope they do

There is a VLC Windows 8 app being made, hopefully that can get ported to the Bone. The 3rd party app situation is certainly a spot where MS has released no information at all about. Except for a little mention at Build along the lines of...if you want to make an XBox One app, you should get familiar with Win 8 apps...or something along those lines.

I don't know. I spent 2 minutes configuring WMC and it worked perfectly. I spent like a dozen hours tinkering with XBMC and I couldn't even get most of my cable channels to come through.

I tried using WMC extender on my 360 to handle all the movies on my pc. Used a little program to gather meta data for all of my movies and then launched the extender on the 360 to be met with a laggy, crapfest. Actually pushed me to install Plex and get a couple Rokus.

DBT85

Man I hope they do

I genuinely hope both systems will have an active app scene. I expect the Xbone to for sure, but the PS4 I'm not 100% sure on. Neither will be entirely open but I do hope both allow apps for things.

eastmen

Banned
There is a VLC Windows 8 app being made, hopefully that can get ported to the Bone. The 3rd party app situation is certainly a spot where MS has released no information at all about. Except for a little mention at Build along the lines of...if you want to make an XBox One app, you should get familiar with Win 8 apps...or something along those lines.

I tried using WMC extender on my 360 to handle all the movies on my pc. Used a little program to gather meta data for all of my movies and then launched the extender on the 360 to be met with a laggy, crapfest. Actually pushed me to install Plex and get a couple Rokus.

odd cause I have one htpc 1.6ghz dual core e-350 with 16 gigs of ram and it works fine with 5 xbox 360s streaming form it at once.

KoopaTheCasual

Well, at least this news dropped on a Monday. We don't have to wait the notorious weekend drought to get answers. We'll probably get answers via tweet (I can't believe this is becoming a serious way to disseminate information) or blog post tomorrow, hopefully.

JaggedSac

odd cause I have one htpc 1.6ghz dual core e-350 with 16 gigs of ram and it works fine with 5 xbox 360s streaming form it at once.

Yeah, I've heard others have a nice experience with it. My libraries would also reset every time I left and came back as well which was a real pain in the nuts.

Out of curiosity, can 3rd parties create extenders for WMC?

True, but it is not that bad. Plex will be supporting Google's $35 Chromecast device, and it already supports the inexpensive Roku players.

It is great that Plex runs on all these devices, but I want my UI to look great. The Plex UI on Roku is getting really, really dated and I would like for the UI to look like the Plex Home Theater one. The Bone should easily be able to handle that. These little devices with crappy cpus and no gpus will not be able to do such things.

Correct. Stinks you'll still need a media extender when these two machines could be doing the job.

True, but it is not that bad. Plex will be supporting Google's $35 Chromecast device, and it already supports the inexpensive Roku players. These devices will only get cheaper overtime. In a few years it will be trivially inexpensive to get advanced multimedia capabilities on any TV.

And now that I just wrote that last sentence, I wonder if it will be a mistake for MS to focus so much on the multimedia capabilities of the XB1. Those features will be jumped on by many companies in the years ahead and as a result seem much less special. It is kind of like how currently having Netflix capability on a device isn't much of a selling point because everything has it.

I think the tablet and phone will be the real place for multimedia innovation with the TV and attached devices becoming optional dumb display devices for phone and tablet content.

Finalizer

I get that much... It's just more that, let's just say the two posters I quoted were the last two I'd ever suspect of cancelling an Xbone pre-order, heh.

In any case, after actually reading through the thread, it looks more like "Anyone who relied on specific capabilities of WMC will be disappointed by non-native support on the Xbone," which as I understand it is a small, limited audience... Though an audience that would understandably be ticked off. And though I've been burned in the past for giving MS the benefit of the doubt in some regards, I found it unbelievable to believe it really wouldn't have basic streaming support like some suggested, and it looks like that wont be the case after all.

Still, it'd do MS well to arrange some sort of mini press event at some point where they just go down a bullet-point list of all the things the Xbone will do come launch, including a specific feature list and detailed explanation of how everything will work, and perhaps a list of planned post-launch features and maybe some basic time frame for when those are expected to hit the system. Not trying to be a FUDoneer here, but there is genuine confusion surrounding the Xbone right now from what I've seen, and having that cleared up would help get a lot more people potentially on-board with a $500 purchase.

Although proper support for MKV would be awesome.

iwanttobelieve.jpg

Well, guess that means the death of Windows Media Center.
It was a good thing I gave up on it, since MS did with Windows 8.

Anybody want my Ceton InfiniTV 4? I'll sell it for cheap.

That's really surprising. With all the attention they gave to media features, I would have assumed Media Extender support was a given.

AzBat

I could care less for WMCE functionality, but it worries me that DLNA might be gone too. I use that functionality along with PlayOn to get Hulu(not the Plus version) on my Xbox & TV. If I could find a better alternative for that, then I wouldn't worry about DLNA either. Hopefully we'll get some answers about that soon.

Paging Albert Penello...

All it means is that you can still stream stuff from your PC using DNLA Programs or whatever you choose. The One just doesn't support Windows Media Center streaming

harSon

Banned

XBMC definitely has a steeper learning curve and is by no means plug and play, but if you're willing to put in the effort to configure it fully, then it's unmatched in features and performance. It's certainly not for casual enthusiasts though.

eastmen

Banned
XBMC definitely has a steeper learning curve and is by no means plug and play, but if you're willing to put in the effort to configure it fully, then it's unmatched in features and performance. It's certainly not for casual enthusiasts though.

I rather something just work like windows media center than something I have to spend countless hours getting to work the way I want it too.

I get that much... It's just more that, let's just say the two posters I quoted were the last two I'd ever suspect of cancelling an Xbone pre-order, heh.

In any case, after actually reading through the thread, it looks more like "Anyone who relied on specific capabilities of WMC will be disappointed by non-native support on the Xbone," which as I understand it is a small, limited audience... Though an audience that would understandably be ticked off. And though I've been burned in the past for giving MS the benefit of the doubt in some regards, I found it unbelievable to believe it really wouldn't have basic streaming support like some suggested, and it looks like that wont be the case after all.

Still, it'd do MS well to arrange some sort of mini press event at some point where they just go down a bullet-point list of all the things the Xbone will do come launch, including a specific feature list and detailed explanation of how everything will work, and perhaps a list of planned post-launch features and maybe some basic time frame for when those are expected to hit the system. Not trying to be a FUDoneer here, but there is genuine confusion surrounding the Xbone right now from what I've seen, and having that cleared up would help get a lot more people potentially on-board with a $500 purchase.

iwanttobelieve.jpg

Haha, yea, I guess I can see how that would be surprising. I nearly went through the roof when I read it, but now it seems that they're probably going to have a slightly different approach to the one available on the 360, which I'm fine with so long as it gets the job done. And that's true, Microsoft would do themselves a lot of good to lay out a lot of the system details.

IN&OUT

Banned
IGN: What is Xbox One after all ?

MS: umm........... a gaming machine?

I seriously think that middle management at MS have no idea of what X1 real functions are.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Xbox One supports Miracast and Windows 8.1 supports Miracast. You cannot only stream a single video file, but the whole flipping screen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never even quite understood the point of this functionality (maybe because I don't have a 360). Why not just use DLNA? It's a media streaming standard that works with loads of software and devices.

Top Bottom