• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

hawk2025

You'd think they would make sure to append the answer with "but you can still stream your content if you wish just as before" instead of making it a super short one-liner!

The Windows Media Center streaming functionality on 360 was awesome. I used it for about 3 years with SDTV. However, getting greedy pay wall based cable providers to allow HDTV to arrive via coaxial without BS scrambling of it was the thing that destroyed the base concept of it.

Other things that WMC did were mostly already available on 360.

Synth

well without media center support half of the functions I was looking forward to wont work on my xbox one. No more switching from live tv to game instantly.

I guess unless I keep my xbox 360 and plug it into my xbox one. But its just increasing the amount of components I need instead of decreasing.

I will just skip out this gen and get a new video card.

hmmm... I think we may be in need of another TV TV TV conference.

But I don't have anything to pass through the hdmi . I use media center extender and I wasn't planning on keeping an xbox 360 to use a feature that should be built into the xbox one.

Just saw this. Ok, in your case, this sucks.

Gskyace

Phil whatever:"Give me 499USD and put extra 100 dollars down, then I'll figure out what we could do with our lovely Xbox One."

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Microsoft: Can't figure out if they want to shit the bed or cover it with roses.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Seriously? If there is no DLNA support then how can you call this a all in one media box

"Windows Media Center Extender" is not DLNA.

There will most probably be DLNA support. (Microsoft is part of the DLNA Alliance.) Everything else would be extremely ridiculous.

hwy_61

Banned
It would be insane if there wasn't DLNA support in some shape or form. I never used WMC, so I can't say I'll miss it.

JaggedSac

We know for sure it supports Miracast, I'd be VERY surprised if DLNA wasn't there. It is pretty much one of those obvious features nowadays.

It will support DLNA. The fact that it isn't a WMC extender has jack squat to do with DLNA.

eastmen

Banned
Yeah, I know there are people that use it. There are people here (including OP) that don't really understand what this means though

Currently I have a single htpc with 3 4 channel tuners . I pay $4 per tuner card. So I'm at $12 a month . That gives me 12 options. I can record 12 channels at once or watch 12 channels at once or any mixture up to 12. Now I have 5 xbox 360s in my house. So each xbox 360 can be watching a live tv channel while I record another 7 channels.

Cablevision would want $20 per dvr last I checked. Each of their dvrs would record 2 channels. I would need 5 dvrs and get 10 channels. 2 less than now and I would pay 5x20 = $100 vs the $12 I pay now.

So this is a regression to me.

PG2G

Currently I have a single htpc with 3 4 channel tuners . I pay $4 per tuner card. So I'm at $12 a month . That gives me 12 options. I can record 12 channels at once or watch 12 channels at once or any mixture up to 12. Now I have 5 xbox 360s in my house. So each xbox 360 can be watching a live tv channel while I record another 7 channels.

Cablevision would want $20 per dvr last I checked. Each of their dvrs would record 2 channels. I would need 5 dvrs and get 10 channels. 2 less than now and I would pay 5x20 = $100 vs the $12 I pay now.

Oh, I understand 100% where you're coming from. I'm just trying to curtail the "XB1 can't stream from my PC" interpretation of this news.

JaggedSac

Would be a perfect application for a 3rd party to develop.

eastmen

Banned
Oh, I understand 100% where you're coming from. I'm just trying to curtail the "XB1 can't stream from my PC" interpretation of this news.

okay wasn't sure. I have no doubt the xbox one will stream from pc but no live tv support through media center sucks .

Didn't they remove Media Center from Windows 8? I'd imagine you can still stream videos and music the same way you can from your computer or server, just without the fancy Windows Media Center UI on the Xbox.

eastmen

Banned
Where is Albert Penello ? I want him to come in and make this all better and tell us its a mistake and its in the xbox one

"Windows Media Center Extender" is not DLNA.

There will most probably be DLNA support. (Microsoft is part of the DLNA Alliance.) Everything else would be extremely ridiculous.

Ahh, I thought something like that used DLNA as well to stream from PC to 360. Just Media Center then that really isn't too big of a deal although strange because Windows 8 has Media Center and X1 is supposed to be based on 8.

eastmen

Banned
Didn't they remove Media Center from Windows 8? I'd imagine you can still stream videos and music the same way you can from your computer or server, just without the fancy Windows Media Center UI on the Xbox.

media center is the only way (through a Microsoft program) to stream live tv to your xbox 360 . We would need someone else to make a program like xmbc .

They might have it eventually, but it feels like they are very unprepared with this console. Strange since they have the oldest current gen console on the market.

GavinGT

Banned

WMC costs extra with Windows 8.

majorscud

Just a heads up for people that rip their movies. Xbox One will feature Cinavia (PS3 did, 360 didn't). So you won't be able to play certain ripped films through it like you could on 360.

You'd think they would make sure to append the answer with "but you can still stream your content if you wish just as before" instead of making it a super short one-liner!

This is what I was looking to see, and it's something Microsoft usually does when someone seems to pin them down on a feature they're either phasing out, or don't currently have announced. They actually say something that the product already does to quell concerns, but I just don't like the answer at all as it currently stands.

Ahh, I thought something like that used DLNA as well to stream from PC to 360. Just Media Center then that really isn't too big of a deal although strange because Windows 8 has Media Center and X1 is supposed to be based on 8.

Media Center does not come bundled with Win8. You either need to get Win8 Pro or its an add-on in standard Win8.

Its been going the way of the dinosaurs for a while. The Win8 version of WMC wasn't even touched or upgraded from the Win7 version.

JaggedSac

W8 doesn't have it by default. You have to pay $10 for it.

PG2G

This is what I was looking to see, and it's something Microsoft usually does when someone seems to pin them down on a feature they're either phasing out, or don't currently have announced. They actually say something that the product already does to quell concerns, but I just don't like the answer at all as it currently stands.

Well the question was oriented towards streaming of TV content, I don't know that there is an alternative that they could offer as a counter point right now.

They might have it eventually, but it feels like they are very unprepared with this console. Strange since they have the oldest current gen console on the market.

Its not going to happen. Microsoft has moved away from the 'PC center of the home entertainment' model and WMC is effectively dead.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm pretty much done understanding anything this company does anymore. It's like trying to look at one of those abstract paintings where if you tilt your head a little it seems like a totally different thing, maybe, if you squint.

So does that mean you can't use media server or stream stuff from PC? lol if true
No, MCE is a app that connects to the Windows Media Center app on the desktop, and it's kinda of a remote play for videos. I never bothered with that on 360 because the interface was goddamned slow.

Not sure if the xbone will support DLNA and upnp, but they already confirmed support for Windows 8 'play to' charm, that's all I need :) (And it's miles better than having to browse for content on the console accessing the pc files).

Skeff

Yea, it sounds like they've decided to ony provide access to XBLG content, it may even mean no DLNA (i know that no WMCE doesn't mean no DLNA) but the phrasing of the answer is that either it won't have standard DLNA so you sub to XBLG and use some magicky cloud app to stream from your PC or DLNA will not be available at launch, it just seems like an odd response to give.

Iacobellis

I'm pretty much done understanding anything this company does anymore. It's like trying to look at one of those abstract paintings where if you tilt your head a little it seems like a totally different thing, maybe, if you squint.

I'm with you on this one. When's the last time a company tried to release a console without a distinct vision for it? 360 was a hardcore gamer's box, PS3 was a souped-up console with in-depth media functionality, and the Wii was a pick-up-and-play system designed for anyone.

I've never witnessed a mess of PR like this before in my life. I'm young, but I've followed console launches for nearly ten years now. Microsoft is just dropping the ball left and right on this "One".

highrider

Banned

Yeah, there seems to be some kind of confusion and lack of leadership at Microsoft. Just bizarre after the success of the 360.

Well the question was oriented towards streaming of TV content, I don't know that there is an alternative that they could offer as a counter point right now.

Its not going to happen. Microsoft has moved away from the 'PC center of the home entertainment' model and WMC is effectively dead.

This is all that I'm hoping that he was referring to, but I expected since the question touched upon streaming from the PC in the first place, that, regardless of the specifics, he would have at least mentioned the Xbox One's native capabilities to stream from PC, and then give us some separate promise on TV further down the line.

Or, hell, why not do it in the reverse and possibly have Xbox One be able to stream the TV signal from your set top box plugged into the HDMI-IN on the console to your PC as some kind of Windows 8 exclusive feature or whatever? Just to make this clear, I'm not mad about possibly losing Windows Media Center on the console, if this is all that's really about, but the answer made me pretty nervous about what it may mean for the other streaming capabilities of the system.

Yea, it sounds like they've decided to ony provide access to XBLG content, it may even mean no DLNA (i know that no WMCE doesn't mean no DLNA) but the phrasing of the answer is that either it won't have standard DLNA so you sub to XBLG and use some magicky cloud app to stream from your PC or DLNA will not be available at launch, it just seems like an odd response to give.

Exactly what I'm thinking. The response is definitely worrying. And considering I already hate the idea of the browser requiring gold, or even Netflix, I'm starting to get worried about whether they'd be crazy enough to do such a thing with DLNA also. I was already planning on getting old for the Xbox One, but if it's maybe the case that DLNA requires a gold subscription or some nonsense, and they just don't want to say it right now, then that's pretty damn insane if they're considering something like that. And I'm not exactly nervous for just this reason. I have a friend in first party development for the system and I asked about this, and even they didn't seem certain enough to say definitively that it was possible to still stream like we do with the 360 today. Although, they did point out that they hadn't really looked into it for themselves. So, if I happen to get some good news, then I'll relay it. Anyway, hopefully Microsoft clarifies this as soon as possible.

Duxxy3

firefly.gif

Practically the official gif of the xbox one.

So does it do DLNA or not? TVersity etc?

If you have a windows 8 Pc, even with 360, there's a much better way to stream videos to the console. All you need is a metro app that can play the video and that supports the play to charm.

Once you use it the video starts playing immediately on 360, even mkvs if the metro app supports...

Xbone is already confirmed to support this, perhaps even better support than 360 with WiFi direct and miracast support.

I love how they don't just say 'No.' and instead phrase at as 'well it's not a native media center extender'.

It's not a fucking media center extender. Just say so.

Top Bottom