• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

Amir0x

Banned
I'm with you on this one. When's the last time a company tried to release a console without a distinct vision for it? 360 was a hardcore gamer's box, PS3 was a souped-up console with in-depth media functionality, and the Wii was a pick-up-and-play system designed for anyone.

I've never witnessed a mess of PR like this before in my life. I'm young, but I've followed console launches for nearly ten years now. Microsoft is just dropping the ball left and right on this "One".

It's just really confusing. It's hard to tell what's what anymore

● Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
● "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
● Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
● External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
● Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
● Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

I posted this in another thread... and this is just stuff we're learning of post 180s, if you factor in all the changes that occurred as a result of the 180s, it's gotta be the most confusing launch in videogame history. I am seriously having trouble keeping track, and I'm way more tuned into the industry than the average consumer, so imagine what they are going to think.

stktt

Banned
If you have a windows 8 Pc, even with 360, there's a much better way to stream videos to the console. All you need is a metro app that can play the video and that supports the play to charm.

Once you use it the video starts playing immediately on 360, even mkvs if the metro app supports...

Xbone is already confirmed to support this, perhaps even better support than 360 with WiFi direct and miracast support.

Yup. Xbox Music/Video is already a better choice than something like Media Center for streaming content. The only thing I see this affecting is streaming live television.

thepg12

Neo Member
Yea, it sounds like they've decided to ony provide access to XBLG content, it may even mean no DLNA (i know that no WMCE doesn't mean no DLNA) but the phrasing of the answer is that either it won't have standard DLNA so you sub to XBLG and use some magicky cloud app to stream from your PC or DLNA will not be available at launch, it just seems like an odd response to give.

It doesn't sound like that at all. The answer was that it's not a native Windows Media Center Extender. DLNA will be there. If you use the 'Play To' feature in Windows 8, the Xbox One will be listed as a supported device. Those supported devices have to at least be DLNA compliant. The answer was only about Windows Media Center Extender.

I also use media center a lot on my 360. My wife loves it and gave me a very disappointed look when I told her Xbox one doesn't have it.

On the plus side, my question got answered. I sent this one in. Pretty much what I expected I guess.

Microsoft required Xbox Live Arcade games to have a demo, making it easy to test out these titles before buying. Now that "games are games are games" what can we expect from demos on Xbox One?

WHITTEN: Not all games will have demos like Xbox Live arcade games have had on Xbox 360. That said, we are going to work on lots of ways to make it easy for you to find and try new games on the service.

● "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
● Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
● External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
● Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.

I posted this in another thread... and this is just stuff we're learning of post 180s, if you factor in all the changes that occurred as a result of the 180s, it's gotta be the most confusing launch in videogame history. I am seriously having trouble keeping track, and I'm way more tuned into the industry than the average consumer, so imagine what they are going to think.

I'm pretty much convinced that they didn't think Sony were going to launch this year and were planning a spring launch giving them more time. Every single thing they've done has seemed massively reactionary since the PS4 was first revealed.

They should delay the system until at least Spring 2014. It is clear that it is only half baked at this point.

Skeff

It doesn't sound like that at all. The answer was that it's not a native Windows Media Center Extender. DLNA will be there. If you use the 'Play To' feature in Windows 8, the Xbox One will be listed as a supported device. Those supported devices have to at least be DLNA compliant. The answer was only about Windows Media Center Extender.

Do you have a source for any of that? How do you know the play to feature the xbox one will be listed? did i miss something?

TRANSLATION: We dont want people to have access to media that they arent paying US for. We want people paying for our services, speaking of which... Have you joined Xbox Live Gold yet?

Seems like it.

This is hilarious/sad, I thought they wanted to 'take over the living room'
Why did they call the thing xbox one, it's not an all in one.

For 500 dollars you can build a HTPC that doesn't require paywalls to play online.

The average consumer won't be confused because they haven't started paying attention yet.

Yeah, there seems to be some kind of confusion and lack of leadership at Microsoft. Just bizarre after the success of the 360.

Do you guys know what Media Center Extender is? There's nothing confusing on dropping support for it. Ms isn't even updating the Windows Media Center anymore, the W8 version costs an extra to install and it's the same one as W7's one.

Iacobellis

How is it not a gaming console?
Just because it isn't a Windows Media Extender doesn't mean it isn't a media device...
Calm down...

I wasn't being 100% serious, but if you look back at the launch games and ones from 2006 on the 360, you'll know what I mean by saying the One isn't a true gaming console.

Microsoft gimped out on specs this time. This is the same company that designed the Xbox as a PC in a box and made the 360 a killer piece of kit for 2005. Microsoft has not signed any big exclusive deals like they did on the 360. At E3 2005, we knew of Gears of War already. A series of that caliber is nowhere to be seen yet on the Xbox One. Microsoft went from having big name arcade games to having a Minecraft port and a few small games. Sony is beating them at their own game they had on-lock as little as three years ago.

I'm pretty much convinced that they didn't think Sony were going to launch this year and were planning a spring launch giving them more time. Every single thing they've done has seemed massively reactionary since the PS4 was first revealed.

I don't think that at all. Everyone knew Sony was coming out in 2013.

I think that the 180 on the DRM has messed them up pretty good. And they're scrambling to change the stuff that was affected by this.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am slightly confused, since I am not using WMC (and never used the 360 to stream media). Can somebody explain to me the difference (feature-wise) between a DLNA server and WMC(E)? Only the capability to stream TV from a PC-TV-card?

JaggedSac

Do you guys know what Media Center Extender is? There's nothing confusing on dropping support for it. Ms isn't even updating the Windows Media Center anymore, the W8 version costs an extra to install and it's the same one as W7's one.

Yeah, very surprised to see people surprised that MS isn't making the Bone an extender. It is so laggy and clunky on the 360 I'm surprised to hear people use it. When was the last update for WMC?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Windows media center on 360 was so damn twitchy (it never worked right for me)

I was really hoping they'd make it the server though so i could could stream tv to my PC

But... Oh well..

Not going to cry over it. As long as I can stream to X1 like I normally do on 360(via media player, windows connect) no fucks given.

I wasn't being 100% serious, but if you look back at the launch games and ones from 2006 on the 360, you'll know what I mean by saying the One isn't a true gaming console.

Microsoft gimped out on specs this time. This is the same company that designed the Xbox as a PC in a box and made the 360 a killer piece of kit for 2005. Microsoft has not signed any big exclusive deals like they did on the 360. At E3 2005, we knew of Gears of War already. A series of that caliber is nowhere to be seen yet on the Xbox One. Microsoft went from having big name arcade games to having a Minecraft port and a few small games. Sony is beating them at their own game they had on-lock as little as three years ago.

Not a true gaming console? Come on...

kmfdmpig

The average consumer won't be confused because they haven't started paying attention yet.

This.
Also, some of those don't matter to many people. The pre-install thing would be nice, but hardly essential.
Those living in the 5 countries won't care that the system doesn't have voice control in other countries.

stktt

Banned
TRANSLATION: We dont want people to have access to media that they arent paying US for. We want people paying for our services, speaking of which... Have you joined Xbox Live Gold yet?

You can use Xbox Music and Xbox Video to stream local content not purchased through those services. I've done it several times.

eastmen

Banned
I am slightly confused, since I am not using WMC (and never used the 360 to stream media). Can somebody explain to me the difference (feature-wise) between a DLNA server and WMC(E)? Only the capability to stream TV from a PC-TV-card?

Pretty much. DLNA lets you stream mp4s and other file types over your network. Media center lets you stream live tv basicly making your xbox 360 or what have you into a tv tunner.

They should delay the system until at least Spring 2014. It is clear that it is only half baked at this point.
Problem is, if they do that they'll give Sony a massive advantage for free.

They called Sony's hand and are now backed into a corner eith nowhere to go. With all the flack the Xbone gets on a daily basis, delaying the console is basically signing off the gen and sending the console to die. Which at this point I'm starting to think will happen. This console is not ready for november at all.

This one freaks me out most, since it seems 3 of the launch countries will not have any voice support at all! That's not a 180, that's "for some reason we didn't actually finish this marquee feature". I just really can't get my head around that. Microsoft are much more skilled than this!

Iacobellis

Not a true gaming console? Come on...

They made a HUGE mistake by revealing the thing with media features that cater to an audience that are reluctant to pick up a controller. Hardly anything out of that event showcased true gameplay. Compare what Sony did in February to what Microsoft did in May.

Amir0x

Banned

Word of mouth is what the average consumer listens to, at least according to every study that has been done on such a thing, and word of mouth has been intensely negative about the Xbox One for months now, and things like this just continue the negativity. The average consumer may not remember the specific things that caused their gamer family member to be annoyed at the One, but when they're at the store and they have to choose and they remember their gamer brother or sister or mother or father didn't have nice things to say about it AND it's $100 more expensive, it starts to become a thing.

In my view, this is why Microsoft should work to get a consistent message going, because they have had the most wildly confusing PR of any videogame company I can remember.

This one freaks me out most, since it seems 3 of the launch countries will not have any voice support at all! That's not a 180, that's "for some reason we didn't actually finish this marquee feature". I just really can't get my head around that. Microsoft are much more skilled than this!

Wait, how do you figure that? In 3 of those countries it won't have ANY voice support? Then how does Microsoft justify the delay to the tier 2 countries? I'm so friggin' confused lol

eastmen

Banned

People don't understand how much the DRM stuff screwed them. DRM has to be locked down tight and changing it in a few months isn't an easy feat. They have to create a whole new DRM scheme to keep the box protected. And dispite what many want you to think development resources are finite .

FINALBOSS

Banned
I saw that too in the little "AMA" they are doing. This is very very major. I mean, I'm sure you could use PS3 Media Server (since it sorta works like on 360) but still..not having it natively support Windows Media Center is really stupid.

It seems as if they are slowly fading away WMC.

everything you list makes me think MS simply wasn't ready to roll out their new console.
everything is half baked, did Sony force their hand with an unexpectedly early reveal?
Or could it also be just a shitty time for MS with Mattrick planning his departure, some prominent MS stockholder wanting to spin off the entertainment & devices (XBox inclusive). And bye bye Ballmer all happening simultaneously?

Just a heads up for people that rip their movies. Xbox One will feature Cinavia (PS3 did, 360 didn't). So you won't be able to play certain ripped films through it like you could on 360.

PS4 will support it too. It is part of the Blu Ray spec. If a device can play a Blu Ray disc, it has to check for Cinavia DRM in the content it is displaying.

The bad news is that last I checked there was no way to remove Cinavia DRM and it even survives digital to analog conversions. The good news is that it doesn't prevent the content from being shown. It is up to the player to do that. Media extenders that don't have Blu Ray capabilities have no reason to check for DRM so they will play it just fine.

Windows Media Center is like a crappy XBMC. DLNA is like upnp for media (meaning the client just finds the server so it can start streaming content, little to no setup os necessary, not even configuring the firewall).

WMC Extender was an app for media devices that connected to the media center on Pc. It was made for really low power devices, so all the rendering occurs on the pc that sends the image and sounds to the player. Because that WMCEs were incredibly slow and clunky. One good advantage was that since all the processing was done on PC, you could install addons on your machine and access them from other devices (people made Internet explorer addons, emulators and what not, and even a Netflix app before the official from 360 was available, but all was not very responsive and not very good to use with a controller, so it never really took of.

They made a HUGE mistake by revealing the thing with media features that cater to an audience that are reluctant to pick up a controller. Hardly anything out of that event showcased true gameplay. Compare what Sony did in February to what Microsoft did in May.

Then E3 happened and we saw all the games. First reveal was a vision reveal. It was a bad idea since core gamers are the first the buy consoles at launch, but to say it's not a true gaming console is garbage. Your argument holds as much weight as saying the PS4 is just an indie games console. Get over yourself with this crap.

If you have a windows 8 Pc, even with 360, there's a much better way to stream videos to the console. All you need is a metro app that can play the video and that supports the play to charm.

Once you use it the video starts playing immediately on 360, even mkvs if the metro app supports...

Xbone is already confirmed to support this, perhaps even better support than 360 with WiFi direct and miracast support.

Well, the Windows 8 connection may potentially provide some hope. Maybe they plan on doing this through some kind of Windows 8 app or something instead of building it into the OS? I wouldn't mind if there was an awesome third party alternative, but it'd be extremely awkward if MS didn't have their own solution for the Xbox One.

You can use Xbox Music and Xbox Video to stream local content not purchased through those services. I've done it several times.

Really? I've never tried this. This works right now on the Xbox 360? If so, this could maybe be what Microsoft does with the Xbox One. Stream from PC to the Xbox 360 using Xbox Video on Windows 8 works currently?

Really? I've never tried this. This works right now on the Xbox 360? If so, this could maybe be what Microsoft does with the Xbox One. Stream from PC to the Xbox 360 using Xbox Video on Windows 8 works currently?

Yes, bottom right. This is NOT purchased from xbox video, and i can stream it to xbox right now

syc8xVG.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
WMC Extender was an app for media devices that connected to the media center on Pc. It was made for really low power devices, so all the rendering occurs on the pc that sends the image and sounds to the player. Because that WMCEs were incredibly slow and clunky. One good advantage was that since all the processing was done on PC, you could install addons on your machine and access them from other devices (people made Internet explorer addons, emulators and what not, and even a Netflix app before the official from 360 was available, but all was not very responsive and not very good to use with a controller, so it never really took of.

Seems like a non-issue, then. Anything that can't be covered by DLNA (and is relevant) will be covered by some Metro app eventually. Although, Microsoft might prevent certain apps from its store to enforce some sort of monopole, similar to Apples policies in some areas.

PJV3

More telling was Albert from MS not knowing about it, communication isn't happening. They need to bang some heads together.

Every piece of news since the May reveal has pointed to the fact that MS was caught off guard by the PS4 reveal in February, and has rushed everything in order to launch this holiday to match their competitor. Their policies are half baked, they were unprepared to answer simple, important questions at their own console reveal and to this day are offering conflicting answers regarding policies and programs.

This is purely conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Microsoft really thought that they had one more year before next gen was coming, but Sony seemingly forced their hand and they got caught with their pants down. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me, because they've bungled the launch so badly.

thepg12

Neo Member
Seems like a non-issue, then. Anything that can't be covered by DLNA (and is relevant) will be covered by some Metro app eventually. Although, Microsoft might prevent certain apps from its store to enforce some sort of monopole, similar to Apples policies in some areas.

It supports Miracast as well

So wait a second. Its possible that you won't be able to stream audio or video from PC to the Xbox? I never used WMC but I did stream music and video.

Maybe they'll just require Gold for it. Adding value and all that.

Yes, bottom right.

Yep! Just tested it and it works. I can even pause, rewind and fast forward. Although, I can't access my entire pc library without using my pc it seems through this, but perhaps that'll be sorted out for the Xbox One.

I'm much less worried about this now since Xbox Video support on Xbox One should be a given, but I hope they give it some much needed updates, so we can see our entire library from the tv without having to go back over to the PC, which can be pretty annoying.

Yea, I just streamed an episode of south park over to my Xbox 360 that was definitely from my own collection. If they don't have an equivalent to the system video player on Xbox One, then I guess I don't mind using a metro app of some sort to handle this stuff, but being able to see your entire PC library through the Xbox One is a must.

Top Bottom