• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's E3 conference date is Monday, June 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

oVerde

Banned
The tile with the Rare logo was that looked like Wizards & Warriors.

I called it too:
Haven't anyone came up with this game?

I can do an account bet on this over who doubt it.

BK0IbdMCQAA0CIU.png

jCbvNPA.jpg

JudgeB

Banned
Okay, so I know that image is fake...but just seeing some of those titles got me all sorts of hyped again. New Banjo please and thank you.

Izick

Something else that's interesting:

What's more interesting is that 8.1 is going to support Miracast.

Click link for more info.

Remember when a user here said that all games would require Smart-Glass report? Well, my guess is that Microsoft and Sony are both pushing for remote play, only that Microsoft is going to have it available on Windows 8 tablets/computers (maybe Android and ios too?) and allow for a wireless controller to easily connect to them.

It's not just rumored, Microsoft have confirmed Rare are preparing a historic revival of a cherished franchise.

They didn't quite say that, it was taken out of context. They just said Rare's "classic historic IP" will be important to Xbox One moving forward - doesn't necessarily mean they're working on anything right now.

EDIT: nvm

Miles X

They didn't quite say that, it was taken out of context. They just said Rare's "classic IP" will be important to Xbox One moving forward - doesn't necessarily mean they're working on anything right now.

No they've actually vocally said 'Historic' I've heard two MS peeps say it now.

Where Hix? Could you post me a link? Curious ;)

Rare Ltd. ‏@RareLtd 23 May
@Cube1701 The first thing I said myself was "that picture makes it look like it's something to do with knights".

From Twitter, can't get a screenshot at the minute.

They didn't quite say that, it was taken out of context. They just said Rare's "classic IP" will be important to Xbox One moving forward - doesn't necessarily mean they're working on anything right now.

Actually OXM interviewed Phil Spencer and got this;

Rare Ltd is poised to return to one of its cherished franchises in what Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer bills a "historic" revival.

Izick

Phil Spencer said:
“fans of Rare and Rare IP I think will be pleased with what we're going to show at E3. We had a limited amount of time today and a lot of story to tell. But Rare remains an incredibly important part of our development capability. That historic IP that they've built I think can play a real important role on Xbox One."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/43...13-perfect-dark-killer-instinct-banjo-kazooie

So yeah, it sounds like they have at least one historic IP planned to show off at E3.

PG2G

God I hope it isn't Killer Instinct 3. I can't see how that game could be modernized in any meaningful way, not to mention... the fighting game genre isn't doing too well nowadays.

Miles X

Oh good, hope it isn't that wizards or battletoads IP.

Banjo > Viva > Conker >>>>>Killer Instinct >>>>>> Kameo >>>>> Perfect Dark >>>> Battletoads >> Wizards and Warriors

Wicked, thanks buddy. Just hope it's not KI3, from my point of view. That's probably the franchise I'm least interested in.

No problem dude.

Here's my choice cuts of the article from the thread I made at the time;

Thankfully, a glance at the bigger picture reveals that this is more a question of presentation than strategy. Microsoft will invest no less than $1 billion into games next gen - an unprecedented sum for the firm - and Xbox One will see 15 exclusive titles in its first year at retail, including eight new IPs. All that's on top of a two-year period of bulking up, which has seen Microsoft Studios open new games studios in London, Washington and Victoria, British Columbia while snapping up talent for its existing operations.

Core gaming powerhouses 343 Studios, Lionhead and Turn 10 have all seen significant appointments - Lionhead, for instance, now runs under the supervision of MMO expert John Needham, in further evidence that the rumoured Fable 4 will be a cloud-centric affair. Microsoft has hired former Sony executive Phil Harrison - the man who oversaw the gestation of such noted PlayStation IPs as LittleBigPlanet - to manage internal projects and developer relations in Europe. Rare Ltd is poised to return to one of its cherished franchises in what Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer bills a "historic" revival.

Black Tusk Studios is working on a mysterious action title that's designed to compete with Halo and Gears of War. Microsoft has opened Lift London to create and incubate smaller scale cloud-based games. New projects are underway at Microsoft Studios Osaka, reflecting IEB president Don Mattrick's assertion that the company remains "committed" to Japan. Perhaps most hearteningly, Microsoft has acquired Press Play and Twisted Pixel to work on "weird, unique" titles for Xbox Live. In short, there's a lot more bubbling away under the surface than the Xbox One event suggests.

Pushed to discuss Microsoft's attitude to first-party exclusives during a roundtable conversation with journalists, he offers a regrettably detail-free yet promising account of Xbox One's core release slate. "I think they're always important. We just ran through our script and counted the number of exclusives, and looked at the amount of money that we're spending and the deals that we have, exclusive windows and [things to create differentiation]. I think, candidly, people are way, way under-indexing how hard we're punching."

"We're going to come out with detail on things and people are going to go, 'oh my god'. Like, 'they were focused, they made this a core goal, core activity'. There are great hits, there's innovation, and there are world class creators plugged in. You know, I keep track of it all, and I hope everyone here does - we kind of look back at all the different years and at what we shipped, how many units have sold. There's a lot of hyperbole about things, but I think we're going to deliver."

Naturally, Mattrick's immensely heartened by the feedback on all this from third parties. "What I've heard other people say, without breaking any of their non-disclosure agreements, is that we've got something pretty good, and they're excited to work with us and to see what the capabilities are, and what it could mean for their business. As creators and particularly as consumers, people are like 'how do I get one early?'"

It's probably Killer Instinct. I mean, it's most likely to be Killer Instinct given the legal battle over it's name. I can also see Microsoft thinking that this would diversify their lineup, which would be right to an extent. I just don't know if there's the fanbase for Killer Instinct.

Certainly I see more Rare fans, like myself, clambering for Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark and even Kameo.

Outside the crazies who hope for Blood Wake Jet Force Gemini, of course...

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Source for that image is 4Chan apparently, someone messaged me it and I stuck it on Twitter to see if anyone knew anything more. Dude who messaged it to me said it came from 4Chan. Pack up your bags, time to go home.

Izick

MS telling us that it was a historic IP was like throwing in some chum for a bunch of sharks. Ripping apart info to try and find out what it is.

abadguy

Banned
To me it seems like it will be KI3, them going through all that shit to renew the trademark makes it seem like the most likely candidate. I wasn't a fan of the original at all, but i would be lying if i said i wasn't at least a bit curious as to how a new one will turn out. I'd rather have a new Perfect Dark game though...

eso76

Why would people care if it's...that 'historic' of a franchise ?
A sequel to a game that old would basically be a new IP.

Miles X

It won't be KI3 if it's "important" to Xbone. Not that KI3 wouldn't be awesome, but I have to assume it's more of a niche title than a 3D platformer like Banjo would be.

Yeah, I can't see Perfect Dark being important either, they need to diversify and Halo, Gears and Black Tusk along with possibly Respawn ... I fail to see how a Rare shooter would be important.

Out of all their franchises, Conker and Banjo are the most prolific and important to MS.

Izick

It won't be KI3 if it's "important" to Xbone. Not that KI3 wouldn't be awesome, but I have to assume it's more of a niche title than a 3D platformer like Banjo would be.

You really think (not being facetious, honestly asking) think a 3D platformer (even with the BK name) is less of a niche product than a fighting game?

I think a lot of the hardcore people online are going overboard against MS. I think the will have a great showing. I also do not get people wanting them to have a bad showing, same for Sony or Nintendo. Gamers are an odd bunch at times

abadguy

Banned
Yeah, I can't see Perfect Dark being important either, they need to diversify and Halo, Gears and Black Tusk along with possibly Respawn ... I fail to see how a Rare shooter would be important.

Out of all their franchises, Conker and Banjo are the most prolific and important to MS.

Perfect Dark can't really be compared to other shooters like Halo and Gears since it's more of an action spy game with cool high tech weapons. I would love it if a new one played on that aspect even more.

Izick

Say what you will about Rare, but people have to admit they're at least really varied with what they do. On the 360 alone they went from an action+adventure game and a first-person shooter to a creation (Sims. like) game, to a platform/racing game, and then to a sports game controlled by a completely different device than a standard controller.

Wasp

I would most like a new Banjo game from Rare. I would least like a new Killer Instinct because I'm not a fan of beat-'em-ups.

Although I don't much faith in the remnants of Rare being capable of making a great platform game.

Hindle

Banned

The canned PD game was said to be more like Deus Ex then yet another shooter. They could turn the series into a Spy RPG where shooting is just one of the ways to solve a mission.

bGanci

Banned
SuperÑ;60954449 said:
Banjo Kazooie Grunty Land
Forza 5
Halo Urban Assault
Fable IV
Dead Rising 3
Quantum Break
Halo 5
??
??
It would be Spartan assault not urban. Ms has domains fit spartan assault.

macewank

You really think (not being facetious, honestly asking) think a 3D platformer (even with the BK name) is less of a niche product than a fighting game?

Less of a niche title? Absolutely. I don't think it's going to be some massive system seller, but it's 3D platformers are absolutely less niche than a fighter. Plus, to me, it makes the most sense. They're going to have oodles of shooters, so Perfect Dark is out. KI, I feel like is coming, but I think they'll want to saturate the market a bit with Xbones before it hits. That leaves Banjo, or Conker.. And I just really don't see them launching with Conker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom