• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
12039162425_d42ca08f84_o.png

Developer: Limbic Entertainment
Release Date: January 23, 2014
Available @: Steam, Uplay, Green Man Gaming
Cost: $29.99 (US)

What is Might & Magic?

A long running first person party based RPG franchise first making an appearance in 1986 on the PC. In proceeding 28 years the franchise has seen 8 sequels released on 8 different platforms. It has also seen several spin offs including the highly popular Heroes of Might & Magic strategy game series.

Features
- 12 character classes spread across 4 playable races, each class also has a promotion into a more powerful elite class.
- Turn based combat on a classic tile based world akin to Might & Magic 1 - 5.
- Multi-tiered skill system for indepth leveling options akin to Might & Magic 6 - 9.
- Multiple dungeons, towns and an open world to explore.
- Full mod tools to make your own adventures.

The Nitty Gritty

12039472445_d365663781_o.jpg

Media

Gameplay Trailer:

Reviews
PC Gamer - 73
What gives Legacy its old school charm though is that as much as it's weighed down by an obviously low budget and the mechanical sacrifices of jumping back a decade, there's a love for its style underpinning the action. The result isn't likely to do much for anyone raised on a diet of The Elder Scrolls, and even at its best is a nostalgia trip rather than call for revolution. Even so, for old-school RPG fans as sad as its creators seem to be that nobody makes games like this any more, it’s a solid way to relive the good old days.

Eurogamer - 7/10
Legacy is Limbic's attempt to pay homage to the golden age of the western RPG by harking back to its renaissance period. With its grid-based, first-person movement and turn-based combat, Legacy is not only unapologetically old-school but gleefully so. It rarely deigns to hold your hand or artificially cordon off areas of its largely open world that might be too tough for your low-level adventurers.

Gameinformer - 8.25/10
Might & Magic X: Legacy lives up to the quality of its long-lost predecessors. Despite streamlining and accessibility upgrades, it’s not a game for everyone. Turn-based grid walks are a rarity today and the title may feel a bit bizarre to those that never had a chance to experience 90’s era Might & Magic fare, but for those that have always wanted a legitimate heir to the classic series, Might & Magic X: Legacy provides.

Joystiq - 4/5
Even so, Might and Magic 10 plays so smoothly, with an elegant simplicity and almost effortless depth, that I can forgive its lack of story and indifferent graphical presentation. There's a common argument that pits the more complex/confusing conventions of older games against the accessible/"dumbed down" conventions of more recent fare, with one always good and the other always bad, depending on your point of view. Might and Magic 10: Legacy reveals just how irrelevant those arguments are. It's my new favorite installment in the series, and it offers a great example of how to update old-fashioned RPG mechanics for the present day.

11481053194_8f4585b795_o.gif

epmode

I already bought in on this one. The demo's a lot of fun, I just hope there's a full game here!

This is probably obvious but I don't think this would have happened without Legend of Grimrock.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is probably obvious but I don't think this would have happened without Legend of Grimrock.

Yea for sure. I'm so happy this is happening, Might & Magic is my bag, I've been playing these games for almost my entire life. Love love love this series.

Category G

Neo Member
Really tempted by this but I'm worried that Ubisoft will have pushed for it to be released unfinished or something. D:

Here's hoping for good reviews though!

Gothos

Waiting for people's opinions and then gonna decide if it's worth buying. I'm not expecting fireworks but a good, solid rpg experience will be enough.

Zafir

Looking forward to play the full game. I liked what I played of the early access, but didn't really want to put too much time into it considering I'll be restarting when it comes out anyway.

eXistor

I thought this was digital-distribution only but we seem to be getting it in our store this week. Apparently it comes with a cloth map and everything, pretty cool! Anyway, I'm definitely down for this, I think it looks great. I love these types of games every once in a while. I was hooked on Grimrock for a good while.

Zafir

I thought this was digital-distribution only but we seem to be getting it in our store this week. Apparently it comes with a cloth map and everything, pretty cool! Anyway, I'm definitely down for this, I think it looks great. I love these types of games every once in a while. I was hooked on Grimrock for a good while.
Europe is getting a retail release, yeah. I'm not sure that NA is though.

Alric

Is your store in NA?

Corto

I'll get on this as soon as I finish The Banner Saga and Broken Age. Can't believe still that we are getting this and Legends of Grimrock on the same year! We are being spoiled.

Arulan

I was very tempted to pick this up on Early Access when it was available. I'll definitely get it now.

This year is already shaping up very nicely in terms of classic PC RPG releases. It's nice to see developers release mod tools, especially for a game like this. The amount of life mods can bring into games makes me wonder why all developers aren't as eager to do so, in some cases it can lead to surprising sales far from its initial release.

ZoddGutts

Hoping this will turn out great. Also hopefully this will sell well maybe someone will revive the Wizardry franchise. Wonder who owns the license to Wizardry right now.

Moff

I loved those as a kid, havent played one in probably 20 years.
I'm kinda interested, but will wait for reviews.

rybrad

I got this in Early Access awhile ago but didn't play much because of weapons breaking all the time. I really hope that has been tweaked for release.

An-Det

I had no idea it was officially releasing so soon. Hell, I still can't believe it even exists. The game looks fantastic and I loved 6-8, so I'll definitely need to pick this up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I got this in Early Access awhile ago but didn't play much because of weapons breaking all the time. I really hope that has been tweaked for release.

I read about this, so I waited for the official release. I'm going to pick it up regardless, but this is one annoyance I plan on modding out ASAP.

Gvaz

Banned
I've been super interested in this game, and pax east 2013 was supposed to give you an early copy of the game but they did NOTHING with it. edit: (Promotion codes from Gamescom and Pax East can now be redeemed in Sorpigal (chest next to the garrison).) UGH. It was supposed to be the game. IDC about dumb items.)

Is the combat turn based like completely? Or is it more like Grimrock?

Durante

I forgot this was coming so soon. Way hyped.

I thought this was digital-distribution only but we seem to be getting it in our store this week. Apparently it comes with a cloth map and everything, pretty cool!
Yeah, I ordered the physical version way back last year when I found out that it comes with a cloth map for €30. Would normally go digital only on something like this.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I've owned this for a while but haven't played through it yet because I'm not into beta testing single player games and wanted to wait for it to be "done". Bought it early because it came with Might & Magic VI on Steam, which is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Going in with extreme caution and not too many expectations, and hoping it's not broken. I really want it to be good.

Victrix

*beard*
How big is the world in this?

Is it largely switch and puzzle solving dungeon delving like Grimrock, or a mix of puzzles and monster bashing?

Is the world freeform, or is the path through the game linear? Can you skip entire chunks of the world and still beat it, or will you see most of the game in one playthrough?

Is loot randomized or fixed?

Is combat challenging or engaging in any way?

Are there meaningful quests/npcs/dialogue?

Eusis

I wonder if Ubisoft will wisen up and dump Uplay? Or at least rework it, maybe require it for games BOUGHT from Uplay but on Steam it's an optional thing to log into for tracking stats and social crap. Everyone tries their own services and you just get frustrating fragmentation, but I guess some assholes like to act as if they're THAT important.

Durante

How big is the world in this?
Big. Hard to say exactly until playing the whole thing of course.

Is it largely switch and puzzle solving dungeon delving like Grimrock, or a mix of puzzles and monster bashing?
It's more combat-heavy than Grimrock, that's for sure. But the combat is also incomparably better - admittedly I really wasn't a huge fan of Grimrocks' combat dancing.

Is the world freeform, or is the path through the game linear? Can you skip entire chunks of the world and still beat it, or will you see most of the game in one playthrough?
It's nonlinear.

Is combat challenging or engaging in any way?
Yes. The game also has difficulty settings which were balanced with the community. Since the community in this case was mostly veterans, it's pretty nicely challenging.

Are there meaningful quests/npcs/dialogue?
Yes. This is not a pure dungeon crawler. Of course, it's also not a dialogue-focused game in the vein of some IE RPG or something like that.

mclem

I was always planning to Early Access this but never got around to it; is there any benefit to buying in before launch?

(I'm not going to play it yet, I only played through M&M1 last year!)

Zafir

I was always planning to Early Access this but never got around to it; is there any benefit to buying in before launch?

They were offering some other bonuses besides early access. Might and magic 6 for one.

Gothos

I was very tempted to pick this up on Early Access when it was available. I'll definitely get it now.

This year is already shaping up very nicely in terms of classic PC RPG releases. It's nice to see developers release mod tools, especially for a game like this. The amount of life mods can bring into games makes me wonder why all developers aren't as eager to do so, in some cases it can lead to surprising sales far from its initial release.

It's quite clear what happened to mod support in the last few years. If a given game has a lot of DLC planned there is no modding support as those obviously cannibalize DLC sales (prime example: the last Firaxis games). Sometimes publishers cave in and try to support modding as a PR move (Rome II) but those are rare cases...

isual

I'm amazed that this game is coming out as well.

I remember playing day of the destroyer, accidentally killing a guard and I had to leave the town...an hour or two later I went back, still got aggroed. good times

I'm a huge old school M&M fan, loved all the old ones up to maybe 7 probably. I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Not a fan of them using the Ashan world but if there are enough nods/references to the older games then maybe it could be interesting. Will wait for the reviews though. A lot of my love for old school games I think is nostalgia so even if they make a new game just like the old ones I may not like it as much.

Then you have the hardest M&M game already completed! Good job! M&M2 is much easier. M&M3 and the rest are totally easy and at least modern, not archaic.

I finished M&M1 *last* out of all the M&M games. You can imagine my frustration...

M&M2 is so much fun! They kept the same basic formula of M&M1 but reduced the grind, increased the quests, improved the graphics, put in tons of humor, and added an AUTOMAP! The game just "flows" really well, once you raise up your guys a little bit. I think the beginning is a bit of a grind.

Gvaz

Banned
Performance is abysmal if you have pretty much anything less than say like a nvidia 400 or equivalent card from what I'm told.

Zafir

Performance is abysmal if you have pretty much anything less than say like a nvidia 400 or equivalent card from what I'm told.
I had some weird slowdowns on my 660TI. Apparently it's a unity issue, they did say they were going to try and sort it but we will see I suppose.

Top Bottom