• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Not only does it have M&M6, but it's got 1-5 so you can in fact play the best M&M game. World of Xeen.
This is so right on. World of Xeen is definitely in my Top 10 PC games of all time, so so awesome. I wonder if this game captures any of that greatness.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
WTF? It's 2014 and you just blew my mind with 1994 knowledge. I'm seriously tempted to check this out now.

Well I just blew my own mind in regards to M&M. I've been on a grand multi year old school CRPG playthrough (basically replaying every awesome CRPG from my life) and in terms of Might & Magic I'm on 7. So I just went to load it up and for some reason noticed that there is just a regular MM7.exe which is what I always use, and then a MM7-rel.exe. Out of curiousity I just ran the -rel one and for the first time the game had freaking music. Years I've played these and had no idea MM7 (and presumably 6 and 8) had a bloody soundtrack.

Not only that, but it's really damn good.

EDIT: Apparently this is caused by using the community patch and can be fixed. Durr.

They're pretty uptight and critical about rpgs. Can't really blame them with all the games going "im an rpg, look there's xp, and uhh kind of loot for you to get? My name is Battlefield"

Oh, I know, they're a rarity compared to the past; most others have given up that fight in the interrrum.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But will they make M&MVI available on Steam after, or only for people who buy the early access version?

Cause I have high hopes for X, but not passing up my chance at the best Might & Magic. ;)

Rayman 2 was only available as an Origins pre-purchase incentive so there's a distinct possibility of history repeating itself with M&MVI, which is one of the two reasons I bought M&MX so early, with the other being that I wanted to support Ubisoft's to decision greenlight a new game in the series that wasn't an awkward attempt to turn it into a "AAA" franchise (I do intend to play it one day, but who knows when, haha).

SparkTR

This is so right on. World of Xeen is definitely in my Top 10 PC games of all time, so so awesome. I wonder if this game captures any of that greatness.

I played MM3 and MM4+5 (WoX) only last year and they hold up incredibly well, definitely among my favourite RPGs. I'm hoping it gets the spirit of those games right, I guess light-hearted adventuring and dungeon crawling. Main concern I have is the length.

vocab

Well I just blew my own mind in regards to M&M. I've been on a grand multi year old school CRPG playthrough (basically replaying every awesome CRPG from my life) and in terms of Might & Magic I'm on 7. So I just went to load it up and for some reason noticed that there is just a regular MM7.exe which is what I always use, and then a MM7-rel.exe. Out of curiousity I just ran the -rel one and for the first time the game had freaking music. Years I've played these and had no idea MM7 (and presumably 6 and 8) had a bloody soundtrack.

EDIT: Apparently this is caused by using the community patch and can be fixed. Durr.

Heh ya, Ive seen some people play MM6 and not have music.

I need to play 7 one of these days. I got like 10 hours in world of xeen, and enjoyed what I played. Maybe I'll go back to it.

Ready for some X.

desverger

M&M 6, 7 and 8 were released on a cd, and the game's music was also on the same cd as audio tracks - presumably because they had so much free space since the game didn't take a lot out of the 660MB.

This had the annoying side-effect of hearing the cd drive to spin up whenever you entered a new region. Though it's kind of nostalgic now, I assume most people just played it without music since it was so annoying :p

FACE

Banned
I really hope this game is good enough that dealing with the annoyance that is uPlay is totally worth it.

Knurek

I really wish this wasn't grid based. It just seems a bit strange, especially in the outdoor areas.

You can't have an old-school dungeon crawler without grid-system.
Hopefully it sells oodles and someone from Sega notices and makes Atlus port Etrian Odyssey games as well.

Durante

I'm surprisingly hyped for this. I'm actually counting down the days now, and I wonder when Ubisoft will ship the physical box.

Topper

Oh man... so good.

Might & Magic 4 and 5 take place on 2 halves of the same world. If you have both games installed together it merges into one giant megagame called World of Xeen and has a bunch of new endgame content once you clear the M&M5 stuff.

I've never played any of these games but this sounds awesome, really cool idea.

M&M 6 could be played as a grid game, right? Or did it just have pause/real time battles?

No grid, full 360 degrees movement.

Pause/ Real-Time battles.

Best dungeons in the whole series.

Tomb of Varn:
ds-tv-630x842.jpg

Castle Darkmoor:
md-dm-630x438.jpg

Hall of the Fire Lord:
bb-fl.jpg

bow.gif

Cheech

Bought this off Steam last night. Kind of bullshit we US'ians don't get the opportunity to buy a box.

Anyway, love it. The graphics and frame rate are, um, rough, but so far it is achieving exactly what I had hoped. I assume a lot of the engine issues will be cleared up with the full release.

Would be great if this sold enough to get more of these types of games. Considering both this and Grimrock 2 are this year and I'm thinking of it as an "embarrassment of riches", we need more of these games!

ys45

Why is this coming out on Thursday instead of Tuesday like every other games -_-
Just finished reading the RPGCodex preview and now my hype just went up :p

Zafir

I found an unboxing video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NnzLmAweZY

Seems really nice, especially considering the price. On a kickstarter project you'd be expected to pledge 100 USD for that physical content :p
More when you include shipping to Europe. xD

But yeah, just finished watching that video and it does look really nice. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Hopefully it shouldn't get damaged either considering it's being shipped by UPS.

Gothos

True. The shield trainer is the
Governor, who you save in the second/third dungeon

Nope :) The shield expert trainer is actually in Seahaven.

Anyway, I finished Act II and basically hit the wall. Most fights are reaaaaaally hard, my mage and druid are often one-shotted, my warrior and crusader do medicore damage. I think that the game has some balancing issues or it's just weird mechanics kicking my butt (like useless Evade stat). Strongly thinking about restarting with a new party.

rybrad

How's the latest Early Access version? I played it after the first big update and it ran my GPU temps up to uncomfortable levels. My fan being on full while the game looks and runs like an iPad game was annoying, to put it lightly.
They only put out one other patch after the first one and it didn't do much for performance (for me at least). Hopefully the release version has resolved the performance issues.

epmode

Anyway, I finished Act II and basically hit the wall. Most fights are reaaaaaally hard, my mage and druid are often one-shotted, my warrior and crusader do medicore damage. I think that the game has some balancing issues or it's just weird mechanics kicking my butt (like useless Evade stat).

Basically everyone on Ubisoft's forum spent the last few months going "MAKE IT HARDER". Maybe they listened.

Gothos

Basically everyone on Ubisoft's forum spent the last few months going "MAKE IT HARDER". Maybe they listened.

I got a feeling they did it in a similar way to what Blizz did with Inferno in D3 - they opened the spreadsheet and doubled everything not givinig a fuck to test in a grand scheme of things like party stats/spells/items :p

Eusis

Should probably put that sort of effort into a hardcore mode, not unless by default it really was crazy easy anyway. Some of us my want to work up, or want a challenge but not a very high one.
I bought it directly from Ubisoft, but IIRC it's only available in Europe for some reason.
I don't really get that if they were only going to ship it from their store anyway. Maybe there was other stuff they'd want done in the US, though it kind of seems to me like some bizarre mangling of the fact physical retail does better in Europe, even though part of this is that retailers had been snubbing PC games for awhile here and most of the time it really isn't worth it UNLESS there's a nice package, like with the Witcher games!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hopefully not to the same result as Microprose during TFTD's development. That was truly ridiculous.

Well that was due to a bug in UFO defense where the difficulty defaulted to beginner every time you loaded your save. So folks were beating the game on what they thought was the hardest difficulty and it was a cakewalk. Nobody knew about the bug at the time so they went nuts on TFTD's difficulty.

This sounds more like they are just staying true to the series. The M&M games have always been challenging.

Acosta

It'd be nice, I know that much.

" After a decade of wandering in the wilderness of sordid action games masquerading as roleplaying games, of suffering through people citing Oblivion as "one of the old-school greats"

RPG Codex has this knack for making my own horrid florid hyperbole seem tame by comparison. lol

That's a pretty mild quote for the Codex standard :p

(and Codex love Obsidian, they just don't know how to express it).

Zafir

I don't really get that if they were only going to ship it from their store anyway. Maybe there was other stuff they'd want done in the US, though it kind of seems to me like some bizarre mangling of the fact physical retail does better in Europe, even though part of this is that retailers had been snubbing PC games for awhile here and most of the time it really isn't worth it UNLESS there's a nice package, like with the Witcher games!
Well, their store is run by Digital Rivers EU branch, they must just only ship to Europe. Why they didn't get copys made for the US store(Which is most likely run by DR's US branch) I have no idea though. Sucks though, as it seems like you're missing out on quite a nice CE.

Nikodemos

This sounds more like they are just staying true to the series. The M&M games have always been challenging.
Well, 6-9 were (7 is memorable for putting your puny n00bs face to face with a red dragon on the first quest territory). I remember Xeen having a rather gradual difficulty curve, with no sudden spikes.

Top Bottom