• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Officially delayed - No new date, "aiming for Q1 2016"

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with waiting. What I'm not fine with is the lack of transparency.
Seriously I'm so mad right now about this and the switch and bait communication.
I was ready to forget and forgive if the game is going to be good but this now really sours me. Such fucking bullshit about that we need to hear it from him personally.
Most of us even don't. If you want to address us personally to a video and put it on your fucking kickstarter asap.... urgh...

I haven't received that mail yet but srsly this is a break of trust for me. Like delays and all that stuff I understand it can happen, making games are hard. But if you're not upfront with the communication especially in the eye of these new projects you tried to pull off....
No just no....

Raitaro

Kamiya was wrong.

Inafune isn't even a great businessman.

I chuckled.

When did he say he was a great businessman?

I chuckled again.

Only to feel disappointed again by the delay.

Man, oh man, how this once Blessing of the Kickstarter Gods by one of the Champions of the Japanese games industry seems to have fallen from grace for many people here. I can't really disagree with them either to be honest - there's just some persistent lingering smell of dishonesty that Comcept can't fully seem to clear away. Are we just being too mistrusting and critical at this point or are our intuitions about the game and Inafune/Comcept's way of handling things correct here? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Let's hope the end result will at least be a decent to fun game after all of this.

Edit: if Inafune really does feel responsible for this game's delay, like the one email above mentions, why doesn't he take some time to record a video apology to the backers then? Or is that asking for too much perhaps? I don't know anymore, honestly.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That's what happens when you give money to businessman.

As many greivances as I have with Mighty No. 9 and Comcept, people were real stupid for taking that concept art as an assumption of what the game looks like.

Scummy, just like how Double Fine waited until their Massive Chalice kickstarter was over to announce the Broken Age delay and split.

Tim Schafer and Inafune should hook up and compare notes on how to make careers out of underdelivering for decades while milking former success

As many greivances as I have with Mighty No. 9 and Comcept, people were real stupid for taking that concept art as an assumption of what the game looks like.

Those folks will all be back when this finally launches next July to post that same picture and ask how they couldn't make it look like this after a year delay

RK128

They should use the extra time to rework the engine to look more like the concept art. IS IT THAT HARD TO DO THIS?

2543897-a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

While that would be really nice :D.....I doubt that will be the case :l.

A good deal of the game is already done and while they can put the effort to match the concept art with the existing assets (play with the shaders and filters, re-do the character models to match the concept art) its too far a long to re-do the game in a new engine that matches the concept art :(.

If this delay was for, say, mid 2016, then I could imagine the game being moved to UE4 and taking a few pages from Bloodstained in how to move over an art-style into gameplay (as the gameplay they showed off for Bloodstained very closely matches the concept art they presented when the KS launched).

Its a matter of waiting here; if the game doesn't get any new announcements or gameplay demos for the next few months, then I can agree that they are shifting its art-style (essentially an inverse of Overstrike in a way). Until then, its unrealistic to expect them to make radical shifts in the graphics this late in the games development.

OK? And maybe they didn't know the delay was going to happen. Maybe they thought they were still on track to make it out sept 15. You guys are so quick to point the finger and judge. Jesus.

mhayes86

I'm fine with a delay if it means the game will be improved. I backed the game and wasn't even aware there were online features...

nynt9

OK? And maybe they didn't know the delay was going to happen. Maybe they thought they were still on track to make it out sept 15. You guys are so quick to point the finger and judge. Jesus.

If they didn't know that they would need to delay their game for 4+ months a few weeks ahead of release that's actually worse, you realize that right?

Deep Silver was telling retailers about the delay three weeks ago in the middle of the Red Ash Kickstarter.

They outright denied it (but only on the backer-locked forums) and then stayed quiet for every question after that. Then another post was made (again on the backer-locked forums) where they specifically said they were too busy with Red Ash to announce it and chose to wait until Gamescom.

So it's less that I'm quick to judge and more that I have paid attention.

I am pretty happy i did not give money to the KS when I was thinking about it earlier. Pretty brutal how this is being delayed. That must mean it is in very poor shape.

SheHateMe

This was the first KS I backed because (looks at avatar) yeah.

I felt good about it until Inafune asked for more money for VA's and cartoons. I knew then that this was going to turn into shit before it was over and today proves my point.

I backed Bloodstained for a huge amount more than MN9. Me getting burned on MN9 isn't too bad. I'm a little upset, but whatever. I don't care about Beck anymore. (Sorry, Beck.). It's just money from 2 years ago that got lost in the sauce.

If I get burned on Bloodstained, however? I'd lose my shit.

Bloodstained is aiming for a 2 year dev time and they have a publisher, I don't think we should expect a delay.
I would say you should ALWAYS expect delays since the first release dates are estimated and any number of things can go wrong during development. Delays aren't a bad thing like many people seem to think, I would have hated more that MN9 was released as it is instead of being fixed. Just look at Bloodborne, that game was rushed out and it shows. I would have liked for Bloodborne to be delayed so they would have resolved the performance and loadig issues from the beginning instead of waiting for a patch.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I, for one, didn't. Because of, you know, the lettering that says 'THIS IS CONCEPT ART AND NOT A REPRESENTATION OF FINAL PRODUCT" underneath that photo.

Would have it been cool to look like that? Sure.

Plus, you could tell from early videos it wasn't going to.

I still don't quite understand why they felt the need to delay the announcement of the delay till Gamescom. Honestly, if they had said a delay was happening before any rumors started, I would have begrudgingly accepted. Now, I just sort of roll my eyes. But yeah, delaying the game for online features is a bit suspect. Especially since what I played of the game felt pretty complete.

I still don't quite understand why they felt the need to delay the announcement of the delay till Gamescom. Honestly, if they had said a delay was happening before any rumors started, I would have begrudgingly accepted. Now, I just sort of roll my eyes. But yeah, delaying the game for online features is a bit suspect. Especially since what I played of the game felt pretty complete.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend

Chaser324

Banned
I don't generally mind delays, but everything surrounding this announcement - Red Ash, informing retailers first, denying, inventing excuses for not addressing it - just makes this feel incredibly disrespectful to their supporters.

nynt9

I don't know anything so I bet it's Inafunes fault.

Fake edit: development =/= testing

No. Testing is a part of development. You do a code freeze on new features, then do testing, and keep developing big fixes and improvements. It's literally the most important part of development for any realistic project.

I don't know anything so I bet it's Inafunes fault.

Fake edit: development =/= testing

Let's not be obtuse. People treat this guy like an auteur as is, producers and directors have their names become synonymous with projects all the time even if they aren't solely responsible for anything. This isn't anything new, nor do I feel it's particularly unfair.

Right now, no, almost no one not involved in the project knows anything for sure, and since I think comcept has shown how trustworthy their official responses are in general, I think there's an equal chance that this is because of QA as it is because of something else they don't care to divulge.

Sorry for the fans, but aren't there plenty of other games like this? What makes this game special? It's so close to Mega Man that it's a borderline copy.

I know Red Ash is related, but given that the KS had communications issues you'd think that they would communicate the delay.

Or maybe I'm just being optimistic.
I think you're being a bit naive, not optimistic lol

It's not about communication issues. It's about concealing information to not harm their next pitch. Saying that MN9 was delayed while asking for more money would hurt their chances of getting more money.

HUELEN10

I completely want the idea of a Mega Man and Mega Man Legends indie successor... why did they make this so hard?

I don't even care that it's delayed. I can wait. I care that it's fed into the fan consensus that Mighty No. 9 is a troubled and poisonous project.

But it is IS a Troubled and poisonous project at this stage. I mean It's not just mere opinion at least, I mean we've actually seen it happen, in front of our eyes!

HUELEN10

Also don't forget the Red Ash pitch

1438774298730tqqmz.jpg

Exhibit A.

Seriously, he fucking lied directly to any potential fans and funders through his teeth for more money; whether it was for Red Ash or MN 09 at this point is irrelevant, he lied about development being brought to a close.

This whole thing is so depressing and makes me wary of these projects regardless of how big the names are.

Top Bottom