• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Officially delayed - No new date, "aiming for Q1 2016"

a85w4S8.png

I think Inafune is actually Dr. Wily in disguise, kinda like Mr. X in Mega Man 6.

How else do you explain his nefarious deeds?

Ok, is anyone actually still hyped for this game anymore? Can't believe what a turnaround this project has had since the KS.

I think I am?

There are elements of the game that I love, like the dashing/combo/absorption thing. However, I don't like the art at all (mostly the level/background art) and find the constant narrative/dialogue in the few videos I've seen to be really off-putting.

I really want to play it, and I'm sure there's a great game in here, but something tells me the focus to making Mighty No. 9 a brand rather than a single game is going to be detrimental. I wouldn't ever accuse someone of taking advantage of their fans, but between getting a publisher and the recent stuff with Red Ash before this was ready for release, and the kind of slimy decision to withhold the delay info until after that KS was done is making me suspicious.

Damo1234

Neo Member
This is the first time I have seen Xover gameplay... that was really bad "gameplay" if you can even call it that.

And that was the LAST DAY when XOver was still playable, so any claims that "it got better" should be laughed at as the absurd nonsense they are.

I mean don't get me wrong, comcept's been really digging themselves a hole, but let's not kid ourselves here. MN9 is not "just as bad" as what Capcom's been doing. We should still demand better, but Capcom and Konami have been setting new standards for awfulness.

Stanng243

And that was the LAST DAY when XOver was still playable, so any claims that "it got better" should be laughed at as the absurd nonsense they are.

I mean don't get me wrong, comcept's been really digging themselves a hole, but let's not kid ourselves here. MN9 is not "just as bad" as what Capcom's been doing. We should still demand better, but Capcom and Konami have been setting new standards for awfulness.

But Capcom and Konami did that with their own money. comcept is doing it with other peoples money.

....This makes the delay of Mighty No. 9 all the more annoying; if the man leading the project is so confident that his game is essentially complete and ready to launch, then why delay the game to next year?

You know, I'm starting to think that the animated show for Mighty No. 9 is launching early next year (same with the live-action film), so Inafune might want to pair the games launch with those launching as well, giving the game more exposure and a shot at greater retail success.

Not a bad move, but still a shady one nonetheless :(.

The screwed up thing about this is that in Inafune's mind, Mighty No. 9 is done. The online component doesn't work so whatever development team is handling that will fix it. The game has been backed with more money then it needed so the game is pretty much in profit before release. They can technically wait forever to release it and they'll still be fine as a company. My theory anyway.

jman2050

Ok, is anyone actually still hyped for this game anymore? Can't believe what a turnaround this project has had since the KS.

Sure, it looks like fun based on the gameplay videos. Delays suck but they're to be expected.

I do find the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over what I find to be inconsequential issues to be amusing in the meantime, however.

Ventara

Haven't been keeping up with the game, but sounds like things have gotten kinda bad. That Red Ash kickstarter was horrible from what I've read. Can you imagine if this game was cancelled?

Haven't been keeping up with the game, but sounds like things have gotten kinda bad. That Red Ash kickstarter was horrible from what I've read. Can you imagine if this game was cancelled?

Don't give them ideas. Cuz I actually see this happening.

The End

The fact that the MegaMan Legacy collection is releasing on 8/25 would concern me if, say, I was releasing a megalike a week later.

Well, hopefully this releases really bug free. Just imagine how would it be if it released all buggy and needing first day patches!

Man, Inafune really needs to apply himself in order to regain his credibility and status.

nynt9

Sure, it looks like fun based on the gameplay videos. Delays suck but they're to be expected.

I do find the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over what I find to be inconsequential issues to be amusing in the meantime, however.

Same.

Don't care much about the delay. Not lacking in games to play.

Yeah, the main issue here isn't just a simple delay. It's a series of events that all, when combined, make us lose our trust in Inafune. Trying to handwave away these concerns is pretty disingenuous or at least willfully ignorant.

Issues like this aren't inconsequential if you care about the future of crowd funding, Inafune's future and the future of similar games. These events don't happen in a vacuum. They effect other project, and people's perceptions of them.

I like how people want the core game released now, so it can be patched later. You think people are pissed now? Inafune would get fucking eviscerated if the game was not only released with bugs, but with incomplete modes aswell. Most importantly, it would hurt the image of the game in the eyes of new buyers, which at the end of the day would be key in keeping the studio afloat financially. He made the right call. Why someone would want a repeat of a drive-club esque launch versus launching a game when it's good and ready is beyond me.

FLAguy954

Yeah, the main issue here isn't just a simple delay. It's a series of events that all, when combined, make us lose our trust in Inafune. Trying to handwave away these concerns is pretty disingenuous or at least willfully ignorant.

Issues like this aren't inconsequential if you care about the future of crowd funding, Inafune's future and the future of similar games. These events don't happen in a vacuum. They effect other project, and people's perceptions of them.

Except it really should not affect people's perceptions of them. These are the real aspects of game development. Like I said earlier, I can't believe people are giving them shit for this delay. A whole bunch of knee-jerk reactions on GAF won't sour my excitement for the game and the delay doesn't bother me as there are a ton of other games to play on my PC in the meantime.

I was expecting a delay for the physical version since it was confirmed by Deep Silver to that German website, but I suppose it makes sense that the digital version was delayed too. I think it was better to make a statement about the delay when the rumours began to appear since it was obvious back then that the Red Ash KS campaign was going to fail anyways.

It may be a surprise but, as a backer I don't really see a problem with the delay if that means the game won't be full of bugs and glitches at the time of its release (something that's very common these days).

For Comcept, though I feel like this delay will be a nightmare since now most of the public would wonder why a game with a very simple graphic style like MN9 would need a delay. If the game's visuals were amazing, I'm pretty sure not many people would care about the delay.

Toxi

Banned
Except it really should not affect people's perceptions of them. These are the real aspects of game development. Like I said earlier, I can't believe people are giving them shit for this delay. A whole bunch of knee-jerk reactions on GAF won't sour my excitement for the game and the delay doesn't bother me as there are a ton of other games to play on my PC in the meantime.
You can't believe the people who put money into this game are giving them shit for not releasing the project on time?

Delays are not a good thing, they're a necessary evil. Publishers who fund a project don't like seeing their money continue to not yield results, and people backing a game on kickstarter feel the same. I've seen people use the Miyamoto quote "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" as if that means delays are a good thing. You know what's better than a game that's eventually good? A game that's finished and good on fucking time.

rbenchley

For the most part, people are NOT pissed over a delay. What they're pissed about is that news of the delay leaked a few weeks back and they denied it because they were worried about the impact on the Red Ash Kickstarter. Once that was done, only then did they make the news official. The entire Kickstarter has been a clusterfuck and people are angry that Inafune seems to be hiding any difficulties with the project so he can reach into the Kickstarter piggybank before he's made good on earlier promises.

And yes, he's not the first to Kickstart a new project prior to the release of the first one. There are no rules against that, but developers should realize they'll most likely have a tougher go of it under those circumstances. InExile got their second project funded because they've been very good at setting expectations up front, communicating with the fanbase to let them know how the work is proceeding, and demonstrating that they have well-thought plans for bringing the game to market.

You can't believe the people who put money into this game are giving them shit for not releasing the project on time?

Delays are not a good thing, they're a necessary evil. Publishers who fund a project don't like seeing their money continue to not yield results, and people backing a game on kickstarter feel the same.

I'd say they are good if you don't want to release a game in a state similar to the PC version of Arkham Knight.

FLAguy954

For the most part, people are NOT pissed over a delay. What they're pissed about is that news of the delay leaked a few weeks back and they denied it because they were worried about the impact on the Red Ash Kickstarter. Once that was done, only then did they make the news official. The entire Kickstarter has been a clusterfuck and people are angry that Inafune seems to be hiding any difficulties with the project so he can reach into the Kickstarter piggybank before he's made good on earlier promises.

And yes, he's not the first to Kickstart a new project prior to the release of the first one. There are no rules against that, but developers should realize they'll most likely have a tougher go of it under those circumstances. InExile got their second project funded because they've been very good at setting expectations up front, communicating with the fanbase to let them know how the work is proceeding, and demonstrating that they have well-thought plans for bringing the game to market.

Okay, sure people can call them out for not immediately coming out with the information regarding the delay. Still, Inti-Creates has always delivered and this is just another situation of he publisher's (Comcept's) weird priorities.

Yeah, there's no way I'm touching this game. It has train wreck written all over it.

Hopefully Mega Man Legacy Collection will be a suitable replacement.

Verger

Banned
Delays are fine if they are handled well and properly communicated to the fans as to why and without suspicion.

The problem here is that everyone figured a delay was coming but the official line was that such a thing wouldn't happen, since after all, the game was "very nearly finished" earlier this year. The issue goes to the heart of the matter and the lack of transparency with the developers or the PR team managing them. If they were in good contact with their fans and backers they would have already been planning ahead for delays and giving good reasons as to why.

But this, combined with the timing, and the shady kickstarter plans they've done since then (for voice acting, and then for Red Ash), has shown that the developers are not in tune with their backers and seemingly do not care.

jman2050

I think it's unwise and borderline spiteful to use a dislike of Inafune's questionable business practices as justification for smearing a game that hasn't even come out yet.

If the game ends up actually being bad then that's when you get up in arms about "wasting your money."

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, sure people can't call them out for not immediately coming out with the information regarding the delay. Still, Inti-Creates has always delivered and this is just another situation of he publisher's (Comcept's) weird priorities.

Immediately? They had about a month of rumors where they could have communicated with us about what is going on.
I mean maybe they weren't sure themselves which is fine just report where everything is at.

What do they do instead? They f****** relay false information. Which just looks borderline deceitful in the context of Red Ash.
To me this isn't excusable. I will stay away from future Inafune projects.

rjc571

Banned
Was Inafune going to use the funds from Red Ash to finish Mighty No Nine's development, and so he had to delay it when that didn't get funded? In what way is this not a Ponzi scheme?

diffusionx

Gold Member

I'm all for developers getting the time they need. Here, though, you have a professional studio full of people who are theoretically very experienced making side scrollers taking 2.5-3 years to make a fairly pedestrian side scroller. Something went off the rails here...

ShinMaruku

They are both exhibiting symtoms of jackassery.

At this moment it's only Inafune being an active Jackass right now. Capcom has said nothing on a megaman game in quite some time and they have not trolled yet. As a result I put them as the lesser of 2 evils. I find trading in on nostalgia and mismanaging it poorly much worse than Capcom trolling.

Conan-san

At this moment it's only Inafune being an active Jackass right now. Capcom has said nothing on a megaman game in quite some time and they have not trolled yet. As a result I put them as the lesser of 2 evils. I find trading in on nostalgia and mismanaging it poorly much worse than Capcom trolling.
I'm not going to put Capcom on a pedestal even if Inafune revels himself to be Margaret Thatcher all along. Lesser of two evils is still evil.

Don't see the big deal. Video game release gets delayed. That's never happened before!

Better that a buggy unfinished game.

Sure, if you want to completely ignore all the context surrounding this delay.

1. Comcept keeps shouting from the rooftops that MN9 is basically done since January.
2. Red Ash Kickstarter very obviously becomes Comcept's main priority. Note that nobody asked them to prioritize a new project over MN9, they just did it on their own accord.
3. Strong rumors start to circulate that MN9 gets delayed
4. They denied the rumor last week, claimed the game was getting released in a month as scheduled
6. Radio silence on MN9, no follow-up questions answered about the delay rumors.
7. Red Ash crashes and burns, KS fails.
8. Oh so conveniently, MN9 is now delayed. No new date given.
9. Cherry on top: "We decided to wait because we were too busy with Red Ash". You know, that project nobody liked, the project that nobody asked them to start, the project they claimed only existed because MN9 was "done". Yes, that one.

Doesn't take a genius to point out that they had decided to delay MN9 well before today, and waited until right now to announce it for the sole purpose of trying to have it not affect the Red Ash KS. They lied to the fans/backers regarding the delay rumors and then kept them in the dark, because they didn't want bad vibes from the delay to affect a completely different project (that ended up failing anyway).

And this is even assuming we buy their excuse that the delay is due to online "features" and bugfixes and that the core game is done. With how shady Inafune has been running this shitshow the past few months, I have no reason to believe they're telling the truth. Hell, the fact that they don't even want to say anything beyond "Q1 2016" to me clearly indicates the core game is still not finished and significant work on the entire project still remains to be done. If you ask me they're just blowing smoke up our asses regarding online "features" and "bugfixing" because for months now they'd been repeating over and over again how finished this project was. In my opinion they've been lying about the state of completion of MN9 for months to sell us on Red Ash. For the people who don't care about the second project, this is completely unnecessary bullshit surrounding what should be a way more transparent process.

I kept thinking that if they retried the Kickstarter after the release of Mighty No 9 and the reception was great, they would have a good chance to meet and exceed their previous goal of $800,000 especially if they used an additional few months to build something more impressive to show. This amplifies all the apprehension people had with Kickstarting an Inafune game. The timing of this makes the Red Ash Kickstarter look even worse. This is worse than the Planetary Annihilation trying to get another game Kickstarted.

Nydius

Read EatinOlives' summary of all of the events above. This whole thing has been mismanaged and shady as shit for the last 8+ months. The reactions to this delay are anything but "knee-jerk". They're the inevitable result of being shitty to backers and fans while pulling underhanded business moves to try to capitalize on the popularity of one project to fund another while the first one isn't even finished.

Needlecrash

Once released, the game will have been delayed for a year.

Ugh. This is turn off my interest for the game. Starting to regret that I backed it.

Top Bottom