• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse on 3DS coming in system update next month

Gabe3208

Banned
Does this mean that we'll be able to easily add people to our Friends list now that NNIDs are going to be used? And if so, are those horrible Friend Codes going away?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Brand me a heretic for dreaming but I'd love a Miiverse app on mobile so I could buy shit and chat with people and shit on my phone without needing to lug out my XL.

Ghazi

Brand me a heretic for dreaming but I'd love a Miiverse app on mobile so I could buy shit and chat with people and shit on my phone without needing to lug out my XL.

They announced a while back that a mobile one would be coming I believe, they said it'd be out before the 3DS Miiverse though so idk what happened there.

-Horizon-

They announced a while back that a mobile one would be coming I believe, they said it'd be out before the 3DS Miiverse though so idk what happened there.

Some people are speculating that there will be an end of the year Wii U direct so we might see it there and have it be available on the same day before the 3DS update is out.

This is a guess on my part.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
We're getting a smartphone Miiverse.

Some people are speculating that there will be an end of the year Wii U direct so we might see it there and have it be available on the same day before the 3DS update is out.

This is a guess on my part.

Well, let's hope! It sure would be swell. Would this be Nintendo's first smartphone app?

Coolwhip

Banned
Neat, but I wonder how Miiverse will work on that shitty low res screen.

Nintendo better make their next handheld with 1 damn screen that's at least 720p.

SuperSah

Banned
Sweet! I wonder how screenshots will work. It says with "compatible games" only but what does that mean?

Probably means games with a community.

Like I said, in a screenshot, someone had a LM2 screenshot, which is impossible otherwise, so screenshots look to be in. :)

Very dumb question...
Will the Nintendo Network ID replace friendcodes on the 3DS? So, once we get the update, when I sync my Wii U NNID with my 3DS, and add people, they just have to type in "HyruleLegend" instead of my friendcode?

MCN

Banned
Very dumb question...
Will the Nintendo Network ID replace friendcodes on the 3DS? So, once we get the update, when I sync my Wii U NNID with my 3DS, and add people, they just have to type in "HyruleLegend" instead of my friendcode?

I suspect both systems would work side-by-side for at least a while to give people time to sign up for a NNID.

Sweet! I wonder how screenshots will work. It says with "compatible games" only but what does that mean?

Probably means games with a community.

Like I said, in a screenshot, someone had a LM2 screenshot, which is impossible otherwise, so screenshots look to be in. :)

It may be something like Wii U Miiverse where some games' communities allow posting screenshots while others don't for totally unknown reasons. :x

rpmurphy

Good to hear about this. I wonder whether Miiverse will get upgrades to have more color throughout like Swapnote did. In addition, will you be able to send messages between people in the same way as Swapnote?
The major loss is that you cannot send a message to a group of people from your friends list, just to all (Twitter style) or to one person. There's no equivalent of Google+'s Circles.

rpmurphy

Closer, but Nintendo's ideologies are still sort-of a roadblock. Nintendo isn't really in the process of change, they're just a bit more open to it.
Like a lot of older software companies, they have legacy systems in place. It's never an easy and fast transition, especially if you want to maintain integrity and availability of services.

-Horizon-

I just realized that now we'll be able to know whose played a 3DS game and who hasn't...brb going to go out and not buy a few games cough cough.

Communities we know of so far:

- Mario & Luigi Dream Team
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- Animal Crossing New Leaf
- New Super Mario Bros 2
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Paper Mario Sticker Star
- Kid Icars Uprising
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity
- Mario Tennis Open
- Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
- Art Academy Lessons For Everyone
- Style Savvy Trendsetters
- Mario Kart 7

M3d10n

Since LM2 doesn't have any in-game screenshot-taking feature, I assume Nintendo will implement a whitelist for existing titles and newer titles will be able to tell the OS whether screenshots are allowed or not. This did this twice already: when they implemented StreetPass relay (they tested every single streetpass-compatible 3DS game to whitelist the ones that worked with the system) and when they added the save backup feature (some games like Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter 3 don't allow manual backups to avoid save game exploits).

rpmurphy

Since LM2 doesn't have any in-game screenshot-taking feature, I assume Nintendo will implement a whitelist for existing titles and newer titles will be able to tell the OS whether screenshots are allowed or not. This did this twice already: when they implemented StreetPass relay (they tested every single streetpass-compatible 3DS game to whitelist the ones that worked with the system) and when they added the save backup feature (some games like Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter 3 don't allow manual backups to avoid save game exploits).
Doesn't it work already for the game notes app? I'd imagine that it would do screengrabs in the same fashion within those limitations.

Khaz

Doesn't it work already for the game notes app? I'd imagine that it would do screengrabs in the same fashion within those limitations.

The game notes app shows the game in the background but doesn't allow you to take a picture of it, which is utterly dumb. I do hope this gets changed in the update as well.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will I be able to befriend 3ds people with nnid after the update?

Communities we know of so far:

- Mario & Luigi Dream Team
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- Animal Crossing New Leaf
- New Super Mario Bros 2
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Paper Mario Sticker Star
- Kid Icars Uprising
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity
- Mario Tennis Open
- Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
- Art Academy Lessons For Everyone
- Style Savvy Trendsetters
- Mario Kart 7

No third party games?...

So how do friends limits work? Most game titles are built around the limit. I would hope it hot-swaps friends into an "in-use" list but keeps the rest in reserve and you swap between them.

With the move to NNID and unified wallets I guess this is another hoop to jump through when you want to buy titles from another country. Edit: Fuck you Nintendo. I used Australia to buy Snapdots. Now future users won't be able to enjoy this...well okay it'll be just like on Wii where the wallet gets deleted *sigh*

Now I really hope the screenshot feature will be there as well.

EDIT: IT IS YAY
Can I take screenshots of the 3DS camera (or 3DS sound showing the camera) and attach them to PMs, thus rendering the reason to shut swapnote completely moot...

I hope we get a theatrhythm miiverse community.
Don't all thrid party games have these on Wii U? *insert joke about "hat third party Wii U games?*

Did anyone notice that the only tab icon MiiVerse is missing on the 3DS is the messages icon?

Should we be concerned? Neither of the webpages mention specific personal messages...

Top Bottom