• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles morales kinda sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some are afraid that Peter will go to play some golf ⛳ in the first 15 minutes.

Me? Couldn't care less tbh. In movies I prefer Peter / Tobey...

spider man film GIF

But in games? Spidey without a mask is the worst part of any Spidey game, so I don't give a F. Give me the black Venom suit and I'm good to go.

split depth GIF
Wait you can play as venom? I’d much prefer to be venom in these games

Last edited:

Salmon

Watched a gameplay video of it, and damn that is cringe fest and annoying as hell. Glad I looked it up so I did not end up with this crap in my collection for some weird reason.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
How can i upgrade my PS4 Spiderman game to the remaster edition? I have PS5 and PS4 Miles Morales and PS4 Spiderman special edition with all the DLC's and steelbook. But i can't find the PS5 version of Spiderman in the store.

RafterXL

It's not Miles that sucks, it's Spiderman in general. He's always been a cringe character, even in the comics. It's like they want to make his persona as different from other supes as possible so he's always saying eyeroll shit and telling jokes a 5 year old would like. He's like a G rated Deadpool mixed with Bever Clever. The issue with the games is that now you have to hear that shit said out loud and it's even worse than on paper. I guess they are trying to make him relatable to regular people, but he's only relatable if you're a huge dork, which to be fair many comics fans are.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's not Miles that sucks, it's Spiderman in general. He's always been a cringe character, even in the comics. It's like they want to make his persona as different from other supes as possible so he's always saying eyeroll shit and telling jokes a 5 year old would like. He's like a G rated Deadpool mixed with Bever Clever. The issue with the games is that now you have to hear that shit said out loud and it's even worse than on paper. I guess they are trying to make him relatable to regular people, but he's only relatable if you're a huge dork, which to be fair many comics fans are.
So you want Insomniac's Spider-Man to deviate wildly from the source material? Why would they shit on the people who want a playable version of the character they like?

Last edited:

RafterXL

So you want Insomniac's Spider-Man to deviate wildly from the source material? Why would they shit on the people who want a playable version of the character they like?
No. I don't want anything, I'm just explaining why the games are like this. You're getting an accurate representation of his comic character, but it's going to be more grating because you're actually hearing the cringe instead of just reading it. Like I said, it's not Miles, or the game, it's just who the character is, love it or hate it.

this actually may be true - but why do I like into the spider verse then? And some of the main films - granted I’ve never been a huge fan of the character to begin with but yeah

Tschumi

I played a game with a blue protagonist once.

Fucked me right up, let me tell you.

-_-

I haven't played a Spiderman game since i repeatedly jumped off the Empire state building in Spiderman 2.. that was a pretty early implementation of blur and it was a real rush... Yup.

One day i might justify buying one of these two...

Last edited:
I played a game with a blue protagonist once.

Fucked me right up, let me tell you.

-_-

I haven't played a Spiderman game since i repeatedly jumped off the Empire state building in Spiderman 2.. that was a pretty early implementation of blur and it was a real rush... Yup.

One day i might justify buying one of these two...
I feel like everyone immediately jumps to the assumption that this is about his race? It is not. Like, at all.

GymWolf

Glad to hear that his fucking chipmunk voice is universally hated.

Praying Cthulhu that his role in spidey 2 is gonna be super small but i have a very bad feeling about it...imagine hearing the va for venom and kraven just to switch to that wimp ass voice...

Hopefully he is gonna die in the first 5 min to get peter angry and vengeful.

Last edited:
So I decided to finish this game. It’s not a bad game at all. But Jesus Christ the way they did his character is fucking terrible. I loved into the spider-verse but this particular version in this storyline. The things he says. The voice acting. It’s honestly annoying me to the point of pissing me off and I don’t want to play as him. I know I tend to have stronger than normal reactions to shit like this but goddamn I can’t be the only one who finds this character completely insufferable can I?
Being that I beat the game twice i can agree that he should have a different voice actor. One that don’t make him sound like a weak _____ he don’t sound authoritarian at all. He whines a lot and thinks like a Beta Male. It’s like they gave him a pussy.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Being that I beat the game twice i can agree that he should have a different voice actor. One that don’t make him sound like a weak _____ he don’t sound authoritarian at all. He whines a lot and thinks like a Beta Male. It’s like they gave him a pussy.

I just think the game was rushed in general and hope the next miles game has a bigger development span than this did.

I prefer the first Spiderman game and looking forward to Spiderman 2 but hopefully when miles 2 comes out it will be a bigger game

Drizzlehell

Banned
Idk, I don't mind the actor or the voice but the character itself can be kinda cringe sometimes. He's just so insufferably positive and upbeat about everything that it makes me wanna do papercuts on my ballsack. At the very least it would be less painful than watching him dance on the street to his Spotify playlist of gayest R'n'B songs in existence.

But what do I know, maybe that's what kids are into these days.

Teenagers, am I right?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The vast majority of gaming employees (including the writers) are going to be either White or Japanese.
its the same reason why we don't see many african creators or african movies, music, etc in the mainstream.... the countries they come from don't have the resources or talent to make something like miles morales. Not when everyone there is starving and their technology is leagues behind what the US or Japan offers

The result are characters like Miles which feel half hearted and almost patronising at times

True, well written rep won't come unless we find a way to make these countries and their people strong again. You can't write a truly black character unless you're black and you've lived through african culture, and black people who've been raised in america aren't a suitable substitute. The solution is so damn simple.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol so what? Can’t have a good kid who is super polite, smart, and eloquent be a black kid?

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think a lot of people are missing the puerto rican heritage in this game ... he lives with his hispanic mother in a very multicultural area. The "not black enough" argument doesn't make as much sense to me in that context where everybody is a little bit of something. I do agree that his voice comes off as too whiny early in the game but seems to settle down later on - maybe the actor interpreted the voice with his growing confidence. Seems plausible because his whole attitude early on is about how he doesn't know what he's doing, but by the end of the game he has settled in as the spiderman of brooklyn. I actually liked the game a lot, it was a fun, smaller-scoped adventure that fit the character. The first game is more comprehensive, higher stakes, more danger, more side activities - pretty much more of everything.

I'm OK with Peter and Miles co-existing. I like it better than killing Peter off. If anything I wish the age difference would have been greater. I love the dynamic between late 30s spiderman and miles in Into The Spiderverse. People like me who grew up with Peter don't want him killed off, we want to see how he handles the transition to middle age and a new generation coming in!

Fbh

Eh it was ok.
Yeah the story isn't particularly memorable and his voice acting isn't good, it's like they found the most annoying mix between nerdy and whiny.
Shame because I thought their version of Peter was pretty good and better than the recent movies, but I vastly prefer the Into the Spider-Verse version of Miles.

Gameplay was fun but it was basically more of the same. Said it in another thread but I hope Spiderman 2 feels more like an evolution, I'm not too interested in another game that's just more of the same with the same Ps3 era sandbox design.

tommycronin

Banned
Done with what?
Sony have extracted all they're gonna get from Insomniac. I don't think I can sit down and play another Insomniac game again after them 2 games I listed. There's only so much of my brain I can shut off for a game but they asked too much of me as of recent. 80 euro is too much of an ask for their games.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony have extracted all they're gonna get from Insomniac. I don't think I can sit down and play another Insomniac game again after them 2 games I listed. There's only so much of my brain I can shut off for a game but they asked too much of me as of recent. 80 euro is too much of an ask for their games.

Eh....you being done with Insomniac doesn't mean Insomniac is done, but ok....

Last edited:

tommycronin

Banned
Eh....you being done with Insomniac doesn't mean Insomniac is done, but ok....
Of course. If they keep going the course of their last few games there'll be a lot more people done with them. How people see Ubisoft now is what I'm talking about. They'll keep making games that'll probably sell well but all hype for them will be gone.

AGRacing

You can turn the podcasts/radio shows off.
I don't believe that was true when I played it at launch. Perhaps you're right. I did try, though. I also was able to turn radio off immediately in the PC version of Spider Man Remastered.

Arachnid

Even in the comics?
He's awful in the comics. He was such a whiney puss of a character. I'm not sure if he's better these days, but the spider-verse version of him is miles beyond what I read from comic him in the beginning. Even worse, they killed off the best version of Peter to make Miles a thing. :/

I haven't played the MM game though. Sucks to hear he's lame in it.

Last edited:
Of course. If they keep going the course of their last few games there'll be a lot more people done with them. How people see Ubisoft now is what I'm talking about. They'll keep making games that'll probably sell well but all hype for them will be gone.

*bookmarks post for when spider-man 2 releases and breaks records

I got the game during the PSN holiday sale. Played it for ten minutes and deleted it and put it on hidden. I immediately had buyers remorse.

I finished it recently and enjoyed it for that duration. Felt kinda cosy with the winter setting especially compared to where I live but I think if it was as long as the original Spiderman game, it would of overstayed its welcome.

Rac3r

I enjoyed the MM game a lot, but I agree he’s a whiny and annoying character. The voice actor actually has a nice speaking voice but he had to change it to sound more like a child. It just sounds bad. Character design is corny as well.

They could’ve made him way cooler but of course they chose to play it safe.

Bragr

Banned
I’ve never played it. What is cringe about it?
Been a while since I played it, so forgot half of it, but as people have said, Miles Morales has a very kid-like voice. He's also just too damn nice, to the point where conversations sound awkward. He's very off-putting. He's like a teenage kindergarten uncle.

The main villain is one of the worst villains I have ever seen. She is originally Miles's friend, but she hates Spider-Man, so she randomly joins a huge gang and takes it over, somehow, and starts making them weapons like big hands and wrapping them in purple lights. She is good at "tinkering", she has no superpower, and she consistently beat up Spider-Man over and over. The back and forth between her and Spider-Man makes no sense, there are a lot of those head-scratching moments where you think "wait, why aren't they just talking to each other" or "why doesn't she kill him" or "why is he letting her go?". You end up questioning everything and it makes the story come apart.

It feels like the developers are annoyed at J.J. Jameson being a wacky conservative. So they made a radio host who is a fat social justice warrior that is the "counter" to J.J. Jameson.

Conversations don't sound realistic, when they converse, you will think "people don't talk like this in real life".

One of the villains is downright absurd, he is rich and evil and walks around talking down to everyone and makes huge evil factories in poor neighborhoods.

They also try to play on themes of family and friendship that come off as forced. Kinda like an old bad sitcom.

That said, it does play great, and Rhino and Miles's uncle works well, even if they rethread old storylines that have been done many times.

I didn't really have an issue with Miles in the game.

He was likeable enough, I suppose.

The game always felt like a very large piece of DLC for Spiderman, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
It looks great, the combat is good, the web slinging is fun, the story is decent enough.

All told, I thought it was a solid little game.

If you can only afford/play one, then obviously get the full fat Spiderman game as it's bigger and better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom