• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles morales kinda sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZywyPL

Banned
There's been at least 4 other people taking up the mantle of Captain America in the main Marvel Universe.

There were 3 other Batmans (that I know of) in the main DC universe. (At least 2 existed at the same time)

There's even been 2 Flashes at the same time.

But again, how many "casuals" do know about it? Most people on the planet know all those superheroes from movies and cartoons, which 99% of the time follow the almost century old original themes, most people are simply unaware of how developed those comics became since their origins from the 30s/40s.

P
This is such a shitty take. There is nothing wrong with having another Spider-Man who happens to be black. No idea why people cannot comprehend this. It’s pathetic.

Factual take nit shitty take.There is no denying that he Feels forced and Miles was created with sole purpose to please people with colour. Im Asian brown and don't want Asian spiderman. For me spiderman is peter Parker who is white guy and he will forever be my Spiderman.

Same way for me, Black panther is black and if tomm they make white guy black panther or Asian guy black panther. I will reject it and refuse to acknowledge it.

Miles is not Spiderman. Sole purpose of its existence was to make people of colour happy. My words will pissoff people but i will always speak my mind. Im blunt person and don't hesitate to tell people what i feel. No offense

Plus He sounds like a little bitch.

Last edited:
Miles Morales was disappointing on many levels, it ends up coming across as a decent DLC (and much better than the 1st game's DLCs in scope, but not in interpersonal NPC interactions), but not a full game.

Note that I loved Into the Spider-Verse, and was hoping this game would deliver the same enjoyment - it didn't even come close.

1. If it had come out BEFORE Spider-Man, I would have loved it. AFTER Spider-Man, it feels like a cheap knock-off of the 1st game with less enemies, a prettier city you have no compulsion to explore to appreciate, a cardboard cutout of a corporate antagonist, and a distinct lack of Spider-Man villains beyond shallow cameos - they even repeat one shitty boss fight with one of Spider-Man's dumbest (literally) villains.
2. The Roxxon enemies are less interesting versions of the Silver Sable mercenaries - even fighting them feels the same (well, except they don't fly). Their tanks even have the same Silver Sable turrets you can rip off and slam people with.
3. The story, on paper, is great and if I read a background summary of the Tinkerer, I'd be impressed. The dialogue and scenes, executed in-game, however, are shit and you can see where the scene and dialogue are going waaaay in advance.
4. Petting a cat and having a cat backpack is great. There are some minor cameos in flashbacks that are also great. Everything else is shrug-worthy.
5. The virtue signaling in-game is cringe-worthy - I'm all for diverse voices, but if the game is set up so the representation boils down to "HEY I AM DIVERSE," it just makes the story even shittier. (Best example is the homeless volunteer at Feast who every time she's introduced, she emphasizes she has a girlfriend, to the point where it feels forced - also, note that the homeless character has nothing else of interest going on about her except her sexual preference which feels shallow and insulting).
6. The SFX hunting quests were complete ass and frustrating. Photo collection in the first game was fun, the SFX sampling was the polar opposite of that. (I do think it was a good idea, but it was so badly implemented I wanted to yell at the designer.)
7. Miles' invisibility is great, it beats the Arkham Batman problem of having to find somewhere to hide until the enemies reset their patrol patterns - Miles' invisibility allows instant-hide and faster enemy encounter resets as a result, and I really enjoyed it.

That's about it. I hated the fodder enemies and thought Miles' new electricity powers were kind of out of place.

JayK47

Well I mostly enjoyed the game. I was annoyed by the final two overlong and frustrating boss battles and the shameless BLM promotion. Besides that, I enjoyed the Christmas theme of the city, the shorter and interesting story, and the entertaining side missions. The cat costume was a nice surprise after finishing the main story. I may like Miles more than the original Spider Man. Mile has a nice and hot mom and a cool friend. And a crazy ex, who can't relate? Any other criticism I may have is shared with the original Spider Man, like every enemy being a punching bag that take too much damage. Overall it was an enjoyable game that did not overstay it's welcome.

Both games lack decent side missions imo they feel a bit monotonous , copy and paste.

For Spidey 2 I’d like some co op online in the side missions or a separate mode for you and a friend to take on enemies, various bosses.

SteadyEvo

The voice actor sounds super whiny. Like he hasn’t hit puberty yet. Annoying to hear but didn’t take the joy out of playing imo.

Reallink

Both of Insomniacs Spiderman games are boring repetitive Ubisoft style open world copy pasta. And that's perhaps giving them too much credit, they're more like Ubisoft open world games from 10 or 15 years ago when they only had 1 or 2 types of quests they repeated adnauseum.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
He a menace
FIFY
KSe7sFg.jpg

Reallink

you're objectively wrong, but continue making yourself look dumb.

Compelling evidence to the contrary, that is quite the dissertation on how the games are foundationally anything more than 2 types of Mad-Libs side quests and traversing a meaningless open world to get to story missions that are functionally 15 year old Batman game combat and stealth ripoffs.

So, that means Ubisoft games have gotten better?

AC Origins and latter started a shift to much more meaningful RPG mechanics, which is arguably better than the earlier games that offered largely thoughtless and unrewarding content.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Man, I played through it recently and I was flabbergasted at the story. It plays very well, but jesus, Insomniac has no idea how to do Miles Morales. Some of the dialogue and story missions were so badly written I had a hard time believing a triple-A studio made this. Some of those scenes at the dinner table, fucking yikes.

It's so weird to see massive multi-million triple-A games where they hire writers on a whim and never question them. It seems 80% of game companies do not give a fuck about who writes it as long as it gets shipped. Insomniac needs to step their game up and take this more seriously. Get some serious writers with some experience, it was a problem in Ratchet too, that story was a dud, but Miles Morales is one of the worst written triple-A games ever made. Those fucking clowns with the purple clothes and the "Tinkerer" were the laziest and weakest thing I have ever seen in terms of villains in games.

The_hunter

Story felt like the same thing as the first game, literally the same character arcs lmao, atleast do something different. I liked the ending sequence a lot. Animations are incredible, gameplay vastly improved.

Miles feels different here compared to the Bendis Miles. I only read the original introduction comic, but the appeal of Miles was that he was grounded compared to Peter, and didn't have the same power level peter have, although that would make for a shitty game.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I quit reading comics before Miles and I don't get why they have to shoehorn other people into hero personas. Peter was unique as he got bitten by a radioactive spider. Stupid that there are even other Spider-men, Spider-woman and the dozens of others. Same goes for Iron Man, Thor and others. I don't know if Marvel didn't think a new hero of another race (or other genders) would succeed and just shoehorned them into existing hero roles. But come up with new heroes. I mean Thor IS the God of Thunder (not Jane or Beta Ray Bill). Tony Stark IS Iron Man. He had a bullet stuck in his heart and built a suit or Iron to keep him from dying. Putting others into those hero roles is wrong.

There's been at least 4 other people taking up the mantle of Captain America in the main Marvel Universe.

There were 3 other Batmans (that I know of) in the main DC universe. (At least 2 existed at the same time)

There's even been 2 Flashes at the same time.
Yes, obviously...

Problem is there is a witch hunt for anything called "whiteness" in the name or "diversity, inclusion and equity" (D.I.E.)... So the hunted are mostly white hetero sexual guys, or anyone that "act white" (whatever that means). Acting like you don't know this is going on and like there was no actual inclusion effort before the racist woke crowd took over is dishonest or ignorant, either way it's dangerous because it has become a wedge issue. Let's be clear, this is not a good (or even a decent) way of addressing racism, and it's only fait that people put a fight when they encounter it.

So we have a group of people motivated by hate and a desire of revenge making the calls in entertainment, education (lower and higher), hiring in big corporations, who gets government contracts, etc. all based on identity group affiliation and identity based group punishment when they can get away with it.

Ironically people who follow this line of thinking seem to assume that black/brown people and women/gay whatever, can't achieve anything if "white dudes" don't get out of the way first. Which has to assume some kind of inferiority for the members of the "oppressed" groups, denying any kind of success members of these groups may have achieved on their own (which there are millions of examples of BEFORE all that BS), because they need their white allies, these people sometimes go after successful people who happen members of the oppressed group if they don't fall in line with them ideologically.

In this context, yes Morales "sucks", no matter its perceived merit.

SkylineRKR

Compelling evidence to the contrary, that is quite the dissertation on how the games are foundationally anything more than 2 types of Mad-Libs side quests and traversing a meaningless open world to get to story missions that are functionally 15 year old Batman game combat and stealth ripoffs.

AC Origins and latter started a shift to much more meaningful RPG mechanics, which is arguably better than the earlier games that offered largely thoughtless and unrewarding content.

I think you're too light on the combat and stealth. Batman in fact did both of these far better. Asylum already had these predator rooms where the AI would change depending on what you did, they would become angsty, group up and be more trigger happy etc, they would do some shit that made perches useless etc. Spiderman's stealth AI, or stealth in general is an insult. The combat feels like Arkham lite.

Arkham stealth and combat absolutely shits on spiderman from a great height. Also from a challenge perspective, imho. Spider Man has some redeeming qualities but I don't like it that much. I prefer all Arkham games to it and if i'm honest I enjoyed the Neversoft game more, back in 2000.

Green_Eyes

He's an incredibly dull character in the game; so much so that most of the time he's just completely sucking up to Finn (pay attention to the dialogue when you collect the time capsules, it's always a suck up to Finn).

Man, I played through it recently and I was flabbergasted at the story. It plays very well, but jesus, Insomniac has no idea how to do Miles Morales. Some of the dialogue and story missions were so badly written I had a hard time believing a triple-A studio made this. Some of those scenes at the dinner table, fucking yikes.

It's so weird to see massive multi-million triple-A games where they hire writers on a whim and never question them. It seems 80% of game companies do not give a fuck about who writes it as long as it gets shipped. Insomniac needs to step their game up and take this more seriously. Get some serious writers with some experience, it was a problem in Ratchet too, that story was a dud, but Miles Morales is one of the worst written triple-A games ever made. Those fucking clowns with the purple clothes and the "Tinkerer" were the laziest and weakest thing I have ever seen in terms of villains in games.
This is spot on how I felt - granted I barely played the first game but with this I just didn’t understand the way they presented the story, and the dialogue and acting at points was just really cringeworthy to me. Maybe it was more so cus of the stark contrast to the into the spider verse film which I thought did the character right.

i feel I need to clarify one more time though. I think the game is good enough - fun. I don’t have a problem with the gameplay or the character of miles morales as a whole - but the storyline and his lines/voice actor within this particular game are what bother me.

I wasn't wild about Miles Morales. It was just a smaller version of Spider Man with a worse character and story.

I don't care if they use Miles as a character. Miles, Gwen, whatever. The story was just lame in this game. The gameplay was excellent, as always.

mrabott

So I decided to finish this game. It’s not a bad game at all. But Jesus Christ the way they did his character is fucking terrible. I loved into the spider-verse but this particular version in this storyline. The things he says. The voice acting. It’s honestly annoying me to the point of pissing me off and I don’t want to play as him. I know I tend to have stronger than normal reactions to shit like this but goddamn I can’t be the only one who finds this character completely insufferable can I?
I agree with you. Miles is 19 years old with an adult voice imitating a 14 year old.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
With Peter being alive he becomes a redundant character. If you don't have the stones to kill off Peter like Brian Michael Bendis(Creator) and the Spiderverse movie did then don't even bother using Miles. No one needs Spiderman Jr.
You dont need to kill off the main char for another character to comes in.
Not everything must be a replacement.

I think hes fine.

Bragr

Banned
This is spot on how I felt - granted I barely played the first game but with this I just didn’t understand the way they presented the story, and the dialogue and acting at points was just really cringeworthy to me. Maybe it was more so cus of the stark contrast to the into the spider verse film which I thought did the character right.
Yes, they were unfortunate that that film came out before, it makes the Morales in the game pale in comparison.

Overall it's a great game that plays well, but with the villains they got access to, they went the worst possible route. Rhino was the most fun to deal with, and he was just a side-part to the whole thing. His uncle Aaron was also ok, but his part was too expected, generic.

"The Tinkerer" creates this insane armor and weapons that destroy Spider-Man over and over just because "she knows technology". She teams up and equips a mob with weird futuristic weapons like "big robot hands". There is nothing to this, it's just fluff on fluff on fluff.

Every conversation between Miles and Phin was awkward, I kept thinking "real people don't talk like this". I get strong vibes here that the writers have little experience with dialogue writing, and that they don't know how to write bad guys that populate the city for Spider-Man to fight, so they just pick the easiest thing possible. And that Roxon boss, that rich guy, what a fuck was that shit? after 2 seconds when he first showed up I thought "alright, that's the bad guy." The whole script is trope after trope or just ripped from a comic. A squirrel could write this game.

dcx4610

I like Miles way more than the generic Peter they have in the Sony games honestly.

Last edited:

Doom85

You dont need to kill off the main char for another character to comes in.
Not everything must be a replacement.

I think hes fine.

Exactly, hell DC rarely does. All the Green Lanterns and Flashes usually stick around (hell, my favorite episode of Season 2 of Young Justice was the one with all four Flashes). With Robin and Batgirl, normally they just assume a new mantle when a new character takes it (and hell, Dick Grayson became Batman for a while and it was awesome). And the idea of a new hero taking a mantle has been a thing since the 50’s when Hal Jordan and Barry Allen showed up. Hell, Spidey himself tackled this with Ben Reilly in the 90’s, only problem was the Clone Saga was a convoluted mess which is why Miles was more successful due to being a more straightforward approach of a new character bearing the mantle (and not even threatening to remove the main Peter from it since Miles was in the Ultimate universe and not the main one).

SoulTas

Neo Member
Miles Morales exists only because of his color. They wanted a black Spiderman. That was the intent, tokenism at it's finest.

Sometimes token characters turn out good. That's rare because those character's race/gender/religion is the primary priority. Good writing isn't easy, it requires effort and inspiration and i assume the few actual talented writers that exist are not keen on trying to fit unneeded/token characters in any story. It's hard enough to write a good superhero character as is, with so many that already exist, especially in an existing universe. So having to fit race/gender swaps of existing characters isn't really something that inspires good writing. And slacktivist/diversity hires are not talented writers, unless someone is by chance. And if a token/diversity box check character turns out good, it's only by chance.

Even then, i'm not interested because i know the intent was pandering all along. Give me more original characters like Blade or Spawn instead of race/gender swaps, thanks.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I got Spider-Man free with my ps4 pro. Definitely won't be buying miles morales. Not a spiderman fan

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Miles Morales exists only because of his color. They wanted a black Spiderman. That was the intent, tokenism at it's finest.

Sometimes token characters turn out good. That's rare because those character's race/gender/religion is the primary priority. Good writing isn't easy, it requires effort and inspiration and i assume the few actual talented writers that exist are not keen on trying to fit unneeded/token characters in any story. It's hard enough to write a good superhero character as is, with so many that already exist, especially in an existing universe. So having to fit race/gender swaps of existing characters isn't really something that inspires good writing. And slacktivist/diversity hires are not talented writers, unless someone is by chance. And if a token/diversity box check character turns out good, it's only by chance.

Even then, i'm not interested because i know the intent was pandering all along. Give me more original characters like Blade or Spawn instead of race/gender swaps, thanks.
Miles is literally the opposite of a race swap... He's only like Peter in power set... Even though he has additional abilities.

As far as the mantle being passed down, everyone keeps bringing up Bucky... But Steve never chose Bucky ... He only chose Sam. (mentioning this because that's what folks mention every time when talking about Miles).

I thought Miles was pretty cool

And I hate black people.

You hate black people? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom