• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles morales kinda sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man, I played through it recently and I was flabbergasted at the story. It plays very well, but jesus, Insomniac has no idea how to do Miles Morales. Some of the dialogue and story missions were so badly written I had a hard time believing a triple-A studio made this. Some of those scenes at the dinner table, fucking yikes.

It's so weird to see massive multi-million triple-A games where they hire writers on a whim and never question them. It seems 80% of game companies do not give a fuck about who writes it as long as it gets shipped. Insomniac needs to step their game up and take this more seriously. Get some serious writers with some experience, it was a problem in Ratchet too, that story was a dud, but Miles Morales is one of the worst written triple-A games ever made. Those fucking clowns with the purple clothes and the "Tinkerer" were the laziest and weakest thing I have ever seen in terms of villains in games.
Insomniac is worrying. Ratchet 2016 was so bad it didn’t even recreate the original feel and they totally made ratchet a wimp. Rift apart is finally a fantastic game but characters are still Disney wimps. The spider robot is embarrassing. It’s missions too.

Hunnybun

Insomniac is worrying. Ratchet 2016 was so bad it didn’t even recreate the original feel and they totally made ratchet a wimp. Rift apart is finally a fantastic game but characters are still Disney wimps. The spider robot is embarrassing. It’s missions too.

Lol yeah. It says something when Emperor Nefarious was probably the most likable of the new characters.

Virtually all of them had some kind of confidence or anxiety issue: Spiderbot, Kit, the Fixer. I feel like I'm missing one too.

And Miles Morales was probably the most blatantly politically correct piece of media I've EVER consumed, it's that bad.

Banjo64

cumsessed
All this hate on Gaf for a black Marvel character, and yet it was the highest selling Sony exclusive in 2021. What we have here is a loud vocal minority, but not too vocal, because you rather post disparging comments while being anonymous on a gaming forum, lol. This thread is a two for one; a chance to hate on a Sony exclsuive and people of color. With the way how Gaf talks about Sony games, it make you wonder how their games sell so much if this was the reflected perspective gamers have about their games..... I guess you can only blame the damn casuals....oh wait.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
0_bellendJPG.jpg

Marvel

could never
All this hate on Gaf for a black Marvel character, and yet it was the highest selling Sony exclusive in 2021. What we have here is a loud vocal minority, but not too vocal, because you rather post disparging comments while being anonymous on a gaming forum, lol. This thread is a two for one; a chance to hate on a Sony exclsuive and people of color. With the way how Gaf talks about Sony games, it make you wonder how their games sell so much if this was the reflected perspective gamers have about their games..... I guess you can only blame the damn casuals....oh wait.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I can say it louder.

HE.

A.

BITCH.

Got nothing to do with Miles being black, he's fantastic in the comics and animated film. Insomniac don't know how to write or cast him.

Last edited:

Camreezie

He is very whiny and has a nasally voice. The game itself is okay but i also hated the voice actor and hoped they could change it before Spidernan 2

Kilau

Exactly, hell DC rarely does. All the Green Lanterns and Flashes usually stick around (hell, my favorite episode of Season 2 of Young Justice was the one with all four Flashes). With Robin and Batgirl, normally they just assume a new mantle when a new character takes it (and hell, Dick Grayson became Batman for a while and it was awesome). And the idea of a new hero taking a mantle has been a thing since the 50’s when Hal Jordan and Barry Allen showed up. Hell, Spidey himself tackled this with Ben Reilly in the 90’s, only problem was the Clone Saga was a convoluted mess which is why Miles was more successful due to being a more straightforward approach of a new character bearing the mantle (and not even threatening to remove the main Peter from it since Miles was in the Ultimate universe and not the main one).
fire burn GIF by Jenni Sparks

Into the Spiderverse is one of my favorite comic book movies, so I was really hoping for a version of Miles that was closer to that (even leaning into the musical aspect, maybe? or the tagging? to give it a more unique feel?). I really didn't care about the antagonist, and the side characters (aside from maybe his uncle) were uninteresting to me.

I think there's a great Miles game out there, but this felt merely "fair" to me.

Concern

Reee

JayK47

I thought I remember people enjoying this game when it came out. I am a little surprised that so many are saying they disliked the game. At this point though, I am getting bored of New York. Not sure how future Spider Man games will be able to keep the game fresh if they keep in in New York.

After having finished the first game recently I now see how MM is a slight improvement over it. The city feels more "next gen", combat feels like it has more weight to it.
I don't care about these characters and I think it was unnecessary to replace Peter with a character that is so similar. I'm curious to see how they'll accommodate both Peter and Miles in the next game.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You sound as entrenched in culture and console wars as those you are attempting to call out.

It comes down to you ascribing all criticism as coming from a place of racism or...console superiority.

Can't people just critique something? There are always a bad egg or two in the bunch, but your post didn't address anyone in particular and feels like an announcement to the room.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't love his voice actor. And the story goes back to the kind of "origin story" retread that the first game tried to side-step. But the storytelling and the gameplay are very solid, I really love these Spider-Man games Insomniac is doing.

JayK47

I feel like I am the only person who did not mind the voice acting in the game. Maybe my standards are too low. I was too busy looking at all the Christmas decorations around the city and how nice they made NY look in comparison to what it may look like in real life today.

rodabelt

Banned
I need to find a video game forum to lurk on that’s not full of GAF bigots and resetera SJWs. I do appreciate the honesty of the guy that says he hates black people it’s actually refreshing compared to the vast amount of gaslighting that typically takes place.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

So anyone who criticizes the game is a racist or a console warrior? Do yourself a favor and get off the internet and get some education. You clearly don’t have any.

The way Miles is in the game is the way hes written in the comics the in to the spider verse miles is written the closest to what spike lee wanted "RIP" all of the other versions of miles outside of the Cartoon cameo he did on Disney XD are written by total different people with tons of re writes and changes.

Quezacolt

I found miles in the game to not be as interesting or charismatic as the one from the movie, and yes, something about his voice also annoyed me a bit, and i wish the story in his game was half as good as the one from the first game.
And no, i dont hate him for his color, i love into the spider-verse, i just dont think this version of is as good.
Peter is still my favorite spider-man, and boy, the ending of the first game almost brought me to tears, and i hope the sequel is as good or better, and that Miles can get a better arch.

Batiman

Banned
The way Miles is in the game is the way hes written in the comics the in to the spider verse miles is written the closest to what spike lee wanted "RIP" all of the other versions of miles outside of the Cartoon cameo he did on Disney XD are written by total different people with tons of re writes and changes.
Spike lee wrote miles?
Spike lee is dead?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didnt bother to finish it. Regret buying it. Its the exact same game I already played with a worse story, and worse stealth level design since you just go invisible. Polished game but not worth the price unless you just want more of the exact same thing you already played.

AGRacing

So I decided to finish this game. It’s not a bad game at all. But Jesus Christ the way they did his character is fucking terrible. I loved into the spider-verse but this particular version in this storyline. The things he says. The voice acting. It’s honestly annoying me to the point of pissing me off and I don’t want to play as him. I know I tend to have stronger than normal reactions to shit like this but goddamn I can’t be the only one who finds this character completely insufferable can I?
Yeah - I stopped playing due to unskippable, unmuteable and insufferable dialogue while traversing through the game.

Contrast that with the Guardians of the Galaxy game.. where I was delighted to hear it. Entertaining and funny. Good stuff.

I hate to do it, because it's silly, but people act silly so I gotta...I'm black and I hate the character. The character behaves like he's written by a white guy that's completely terrified of offending black people and women.
And that's probably the truth behind most black characters nowadays.
Two YouTubers that I like, JustSomeGuy and YoungRippa (both are black) hate the character too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hate to do it, because it's silly, but people act silly so I gotta...I'm black and I hate the character. The character behaves like he's written by a white guy that's completely terrified of offending black people and women.
And that's probably the truth behind most black characters nowadays.
Two YouTubers that I like, JustSomeGuy and YoungRippa (both are black) hate the character too.
Thats the way most characters are. The vast majority of gaming employees (including the writers) are going to be either White or Japanese. Just depends which company they work for and where the office is located. And I;m talking the mainstream games and companies we all know. O f course there seems to be a growing number of Chinese and Korean game studios lately.

Either way, it seems basically all games are written by White or Asian employees. Not just Black people, but how often do you hear about writers being Latino or Indian (native or east indian)?

Let me say this again (as the OP) I am not concerned about “palette swaps” or spider man not being Peter Parker. It is solely Miles Morales’s personality, voice acting and writing within the game and it’s story that was super annoying. Now I don’t know if I’m the first spider man game Peter Parker is just as annoying - I didn’t play enough of it. So maybe it’s a problem with the series but I liked miles morales as a character a lot from into the spiderverse so I expected a better characterization than what we got.

Topher

Gold Member
Let me say this again (as the OP) I am not concerned about “palette swaps” or spider man not being Peter Parker. It is solely Miles Morales’s personality, voice acting and writing within the game and it’s story that was super annoying. Now I don’t know if I’m the first spider man game Peter Parker is just as annoying - I didn’t play enough of it. So maybe it’s a problem with the series but I liked miles morales as a character a lot from into the spiderverse so I expected a better characterization than what we got.

The main story in the first game was really good. The side missions, particularly stuff dealing with the environment, was full of cringe. I thought Miles Morales overall was a poor story, but the game play made up for it. I'd rather they lay off the social politics, but it isn't so bad that I couldn't finish the game. I would like the next one to have a bit more depth, perhaps a bit darker tone. Either way, as long as the game play continues to be as fantastic as it has been, I'm there.

Shmunter

The Spider-Man games have no teeth, too family friendly. I don’t mind family friendly, love ratchet, Pixar etc. But unless it’s a cartoon, I require some grit on dem bones.

More Batman please, or Wolverine really needs to step shit up.

SpokkX

So I decided to finish this game. It’s not a bad game at all. But Jesus Christ the way they did his character is fucking terrible. I loved into the spider-verse but this particular version in this storyline. The things he says. The voice acting. It’s honestly annoying me to the point of pissing me off and I don’t want to play as him. I know I tend to have stronger than normal reactions to shit like this but goddamn I can’t be the only one who finds this character completely insufferable can I?
I actually agree with pretty much everything said here

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think you suck. Miles Morales is a great character.

Labolas

Miles in general sucks. Even in the comics. You could make the argument that he was a decent character in the Ultimate universe but Marvel decided to kill that universe and a potential unique storyline for the character so he can become a sidekick to 616 Spiderman.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yes, obviously...

Problem is there is a witch hunt for anything called "whiteness" in the name or "diversity, inclusion and equity" (D.I.E.)... So the hunted are mostly white hetero sexual guys, or anyone that "act white" (whatever that means). Acting like you don't know this is going on and like there was no actual inclusion effort before the racist woke crowd took over is dishonest or ignorant, either way it's dangerous because it has become a wedge issue. Let's be clear, this is not a good (or even a decent) way of addressing racism, and it's only fait that people put a fight when they encounter it.

So we have a group of people motivated by hate and a desire of revenge making the calls in entertainment, education (lower and higher), hiring in big corporations, who gets government contracts, etc. all based on identity group affiliation and identity based group punishment when they can get away with it.

Ironically people who follow this line of thinking seem to assume that black/brown people and women/gay whatever, can't achieve anything if "white dudes" don't get out of the way first. Which has to assume some kind of inferiority for the members of the "oppressed" groups, denying any kind of success members of these groups may have achieved on their own (which there are millions of examples of BEFORE all that BS), because they need their white allies, these people sometimes go after successful people who happen members of the oppressed group if they don't fall in line with them ideologically.

In this context, yes Morales "sucks", no matter its perceived merit.

Miles Morales exists only because of his color. They wanted a black Spiderman. That was the intent, tokenism at it's finest.

Sometimes token characters turn out good. That's rare because those character's race/gender/religion is the primary priority. Good writing isn't easy, it requires effort and inspiration and i assume the few actual talented writers that exist are not keen on trying to fit unneeded/token characters in any story. It's hard enough to write a good superhero character as is, with so many that already exist, especially in an existing universe. So having to fit race/gender swaps of existing characters isn't really something that inspires good writing. And slacktivist/diversity hires are not talented writers, unless someone is by chance. And if a token/diversity box check character turns out good, it's only by chance.

Even then, i'm not interested because i know the intent was pandering all along. Give me more original characters like Blade or Spawn instead of race/gender swaps, thanks.
If Miles is a woke creation, then so was Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099) who is Irish and Mexican. But Miguel was created in 1992. No wokeness there, just doing something different. Different keeps things fresh.

How Miles Morales happened:
  • Amazing Spider-Man is announced, casting begins
  • Fans online decide it should be drastically different and name Donald Glover as a nerdy actor
  • Donald Glover sees this, retweets because why not
  • Donald wears Spider-Man pyjamas in Community as a reference to that
  • 2008 US Presential election (Obama) inspires Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso to think about alternate universe versions of characters
  • Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli are inspired by Donald Glover dressing as Spider-Man in Community and create Miles
  • Miles becomes popular

MCU wiki said:
Donald Glover was the inspiration for Miles Morales. Glover, wanting to be cast as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man, wore a Spider-Man costume in the Community episode "Anthropology 101". Marvel Comics writer Brian Michael Bendis, upon seeing the episode, was inspired to create an African-American version of Spider-Man, which led to the introduction of Miles Morales in the comics. As a result, Glover voiced Miles Morales in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Donald Glover in a scene of Homecoming and an easter egg in Spider-Verse because he was the inspiration:

Writing off Miles because you're convinced he's just another product of the world going mad is doing a disservice to creativity by saying that nothing is allowed to be different any more, which sounds boring as fuck. He's black Peter Parker, he's a new character. I don't see anything wrong with that. If Miles was just another character who had shit stories because past "black person" there were no stories to tell, then there might be a point. But seeing as Miles has stuck around and seems to be generally favoured, there seems to be a bit more substance to him than that.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The atmosphere in the game is superior to OG because winter fucking rules and the intro and up until after the rhino fight the game was awesome. Then it goes downhill, as the new enemies, while are nice to fight feel like filler shit, especially her. Also generic villain Troy Baker was shit as well. I'd say it was a 7 kind of game with combat, animations and atmosphere carying the entire game on its shoulders.

nikos

The animated film put me to sleep and I never finished the game. I think it's a Marvel thing, though Spider-Man is generally one of the more tolerable ones for me.

Into the Spiderverse: Miles is good

Miles Morales PS4: Miles is annoying.

It doesnt help that the story is almost a beat for beat of the base game but with way less interesting characters that Spiderman fans are less invested in. Its still more of Spiderman; so its fun to play through but yeah, the story and characters feel like a step down compared to the base game.

If Miles is a woke creation, then so was Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099) who is Irish and Mexican. But Miguel was created in 1992. No wokeness there, just doing something different. Different keeps things fresh.
What makes the character "woke" is the intent behind its creation, we are in a woke period, it's much easier to get anything financed in Hollywood/film if it has a die angle to it. This is part of their diversity initiatives (a well intended form of racism/sexism), this is on their own web site:
sxKeSJl.png

They even carry the iconography from communist groups like BLM and Antifa (fascisms is really bad, so is communism, burning buildings/houses, killing people, and causing general mayhem in order to bring about political change... this is almost like there was a word for coordinated violent political action but I can't remember it right now).

So yes, this kind of change is not just to be nice, it's made to upset and segregate people in identity groups.

Nico_D

Peter was/is better but then again, I grew up reading classic Spiderman and never have read any Miles Morales comics. The storyline was worse than in the first game, set pieces were better. Not sure about the venom powers.

Soodanim

Gold Member
What makes the character "woke" is the intent behind its creation, we are in a woke period, it's much easier to get anything financed in Hollywood/film if it has a die angle to it. This is part of their diversity initiatives (a well intended form of racism/sexism), this is on their own web site:
sxKeSJl.png

They even carry the iconography from communist groups like BLM and Antifa (fascisms is really bad, so is communism, burning buildings/houses, killing people, and causing general mayhem in order to bring about political change... this is almost like there was a word for coordinated violent political action but I can't remember it right now).

So yes, this kind of change is not just to be nice, it's made to upset and segregate people in identity groups.
But Sony didn’t make Miles, Marvel comics did. Even if everything else you’ve said is correct, I don’t see how that applies to Miles’ creation 10+ years ago unless all diversity is now retroactively insidious. A spin-off of Peter Parker’s Spider-Man game going with a secondary Spider-Man hardly screams woke agenda, it makes sense to me. Spider-Man 2 will come and it will be Peter again.

Woke exists, but it doesn’t mean everything is woke by default.

BlackM1st

Banned
Spider-Man 2 will come and it will be Peter again.
Some are afraid that Peter will go to play some golf ⛳ in the first 15 minutes.

Me? Couldn't care less tbh. In movies I prefer Peter / Tobey...

spider man film GIF

But in games? Spidey without a mask is the worst part of any Spidey game, so I don't give a F. Give me the black Venom suit and I'm good to go.

split depth GIF

But Sony didn’t make Miles, Marvel comics did. Even if everything else you’ve said is correct, I don’t see how that applies to Miles’ creation 10+ years ago unless all diversity is now retroactively insidious. A spin-off of Peter Parker’s Spider-Man game going with a secondary Spider-Man hardly screams woke agenda, it makes sense to me. Spider-Man 2 will come and it will be Peter again.

Woke exists, but it doesn’t mean everything is woke by default.
If anything Marvel is more woke than pretty much anything out there, their business is crumbling too... They are facing a serious backlash for it too (to be fair their woke content sucks hard).

Not everything is woke, but we have reasons to be suspicious of the motivations behind anything created (entertainment, policies, corporate communications, etc.) in the last couple of years, if the Diversity and Inclusion statements/policies were not displayed so prominently in governments', universities, ngos and giant corporations web sites (and internal communications when you get in) I'd think I was crazy for seeing it everywhere in society. Where I live people get hired by the government BECAUSE they just migrated in the country, there is a special section of the job site dedicated to "newly arrived people", the jobs are good too!

Also, people get their careers ruined for not playing along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom