• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles morales kinda sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean the whole plot is better than Into the Spider Verse. But ok.
I... you really feel the plot in this game is better than Into The Spider Verse? I would be shocked if that’s a popular opinion. The plot itself is fine? I guess? I mean it’s not great but not absolutely terrible - certainly not NEAR as good as into the spider verse (which is maybe the best Spider-Man movie to date) and it’s not even close.

Regardless it’s miles morales’s dialogue in the game and voice acting that I’m talking about not the plot as a whole.

Both Spider-Man games are poorly written. They have no idea how to do Morales.
Yeah I couldn’t get into the first one at all, I played maybe a couple hours of it so I have no idea if the writing was better in that but the way they’ve handled this character - I think I’ll pass on revisiting

Miles Morales is pathetic in this iteration I agree but let’s not forget the Tinkerer in this game. She has to be one of the worst villains I’ve ever seen. Her dialog is super cringe along with her preposterous terroristic character ark. She is a tech genius like Tony Stark but at an unbelievable 17-18 years old. She commands a crew of terrorist thugs and can beat a super enhanced character like Miles Morales 1 on 1 and overpower him. All Miles Morales does in the game is simp after her. Even after she tries to kill him multiple times. She is rude, condescending, talks down to him and rarely even pleasant. I could say more but don’t wanna spoil the game further. Why he would even bother with her is beyond me. It’s not like he’s getting any.

Last edited:

Arkam

Speaking of voice acting, that something I was actually fine with. While I agree this Miles had some cringe dialogue, the actual voice never bothered me. Felt accurate to the character model.

I did have a problem with the Ganke voice actor. I could not discern his voice from that of Peter Parker. So for probably the first couple hours I thought Peter was blowing up my phone with crimes and such. Only when I started paying attention the call icon in the lower right did I realize it was Ganke.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not everybody feels attached to the father's heritage.

My father is a gipsy mulatto and I couldn't care less about gipsy culture.

You're not a written character, though. And regardless of his father, he is half black. My point (which I made over two months ago, why is this thread back?) is that the game makes a big point of being super inclusive of other people and cultures, they finally have this black playable superhero for people, and he doesn't feel like a black kid at all, but maybe that was the point, I dunno. I guess he got some samples for a beat his brother was making..? That's about it.

Jon Neu

Banned
You're not a written character, though. And regardless of his father, he is half black. My point (which I made over two months ago, why is this thread back?) is that the game makes a big point of being super inclusive of other people and cultures, they finally have this black playable superhero for people, and he doesn't feel like a black kid at all, but maybe that was the point, I dunno. I guess he got some samples for a beat his brother was making..? That's about it.

He doesn't feel like an african american kid, but being black isn't exclusively relegated to being african american.

It's a fun game that's obviously derivative of the first in the series and way too short. It feels like a really good DLC pack. That's not a bad thing.

Yes OP theres something alittle dark about him isnt there

I had this strange feeling also for CJ in san andreas, Deathloop protag, cole train in gears, and even lucio in overwatch.

Hmm, cant quite put my finger on it but something just doesnt feel right about these guys. Maybe oll look into it

I had this strange feeling also for CJ in san andreas, Deathloop protag, cole train in gears, and even lucio in overwatch.

Hmm, cant quite put my finger on it but something just doesnt feel right about these guys. Maybe oll look into it
Uhhhh no. Why? No. Why in the world would I purchase a game with a black main character if it was the fact he was black that bothered me? Truly don’t understand wtf people are going off on here with this nonsense

Miles Morales has comitted the crime of not being black enough.
No. It has nothing to do with his race or heritage or whatever the fuck everyone is now focusing on. It is his dialogue and voice acting within this particular game. Which I have continually reiterated a thousand fuckin times now. If this has just turned into people debating his blackness or Puerto Rican-ness or the idea of the character as a whole in the marvel universe or whatever mods should lock the thread it is not what I’m talking about whatsoever.

tsumake

No. It has nothing to do with his race or heritage or whatever the fuck everyone is now focusing on. It is his dialogue and voice acting within this particular game. Which I have continually reiterated a thousand fuckin times now. If this has just turned into people debating his blackness or Puerto Rican-ness or the idea of the character as a whole in the marvel universe or whatever mods should lock the thread it is not what I’m talking about whatsoever.

I think he’s actually agreeing with you.

I think he’s actually agreeing with you.
It’s getting hard to tell. It feels like the subject has just changed into this debate about his race in general, or something about palette swaps and it’s really just not what I’m talking about. Miles Morales in Into the Spider Verse was the most likeable Spider-Man to me (also I thought it captured the New York vibe the best, as a New Yorker) - so the character obviously CAN be done well if written well. In this game he is just super cringey the whole time - and not in a funny way.

Ixion

It’s getting hard to tell. It feels like the subject has just changed into this debate about his race in general, or something about palette swaps and it’s really just not what I’m talking about. Miles Morales in Into the Spider Verse was the most likeable Spider-Man to me (also I thought it captured the New York vibe the best, as a New Yorker) - so the character obviously CAN be done well if written well. In this game he is just super cringey the whole time - and not in a funny way.

I think it all ties together. Literally everything about this game's story/characters feels lame and forced, and I think it has to do with Insomniac intentionally making a game centered around minority characters where they're afraid of actually making them feel real and nuanced. All the minority characters are smart, dorky, and good intentioned (Miles, Flynn, Genke, Danica, the deaf girl, etc). Then you have the Roxxon villain, Norman Osborn, and Jameson, the only three white dudes in the game (besides Peter's limited role obviously) who are just pure toxic sleaze and stupidity.

Basically, what you're talking about is a symptom of that. I know it might be uncomfortable to talk about, but that's the source issue. Nothing wrong with having different races and diversity in your game, but it can't be so forced and PC, which is what Insomniac did unfortunately. And that's why Miles was written the way he was.

Last edited:

Omni_Manhatten

Neo Member
My one complaint is the floating in combat. It’s just unrealistic. They just float in the air doing combos. I like the game overall.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Beat the game today 100% complete and at times miles the voice actor that is game off as a whiny bitch. Also it feels like the rushed this game out the main story is very short and not much new content wasn't adding

Last edited:
I've been hearing nothing but praise for it other than the length. I actually bought it before I can even secure a PS5 😔
I thought the length was the best part. Actually finished it, and then was enjoying it enough to mess around with the challenges, and then went ahead and platinumed it, which I rarely do.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played and completed Miles Morales a month ago and I really enjoyed the game overall. Great 8.5/10 in my opinion. I enjoyed 2018 Spider Man more because Miles story missions were less than what the 2018 game was. The side content was meh. They need to copy Tsushima by giving me side character story quest lines with a boss fight at the end and minimize or eliminate all those stupid crimes and activities. The only side content I liked were the enemy outposts. Those are enjoyable but that's it.

Justin9mm

I had fun with the game but I think the full price for something so short is a little bit of a cash grab. Production value was still high though so whatever I guess.

I also hated Miles' voice and thought the whole multiple Spider-Man thing was a bit shit as well as the rest of the story. Still looking forward to a proper sequel of the first though.. Would like to play as Peter Parker again.

They could kill Miles' off and I would feel nothing lol

Shut0wen

So I decided to finish this game. It’s not a bad game at all. But Jesus Christ the way they did his character is fucking terrible. I loved into the spider-verse but this particular version in this storyline. The things he says. The voice acting. It’s honestly annoying me to the point of pissing me off and I don’t want to play as him. I know I tend to have stronger than normal reactions to shit like this but goddamn I can’t be the only one who finds this character completely insufferable can I?
I have to agree with OP, miles in the comic and in the movie is badass and hes the best alternative to peter but in the game he is incredibly annoying, i dont blame the voice actor as the guy who voices him does a good job in the newest spiderman tv series (even though the series is shit) but its the script hes been given that is shit, games ok though

teenage mutant ninja turtles facepalm GIF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That's actually pretty spot on... I don't understand why spiderman needs to be so confusing and have alternate spider mans... Would be weird if batman was also someone else than bruce wayne

There are alternate Batmans that aren't Bruce Wayne... And Supermans that aren't Clark Kent ... And Captain Americas that aren't Steve Rogers... And so on ...

There's nothing confusing about Spider-man. If you can't follow it, maybe you need more sleep?

I think it all ties together. Literally everything about this game's story/characters feels lame and forced, and I think it has to do with Insomniac intentionally making a game centered around minority characters where they're afraid of actually making them feel real and nuanced. All the minority characters are smart, dorky, and good intentioned (Miles, Flynn, Genke, Danica, the deaf girl, etc). Then you have the Roxxon villain, Norman Osborn, and Jameson, the only three white dudes in the game (besides Peter's limited role obviously) who are just pure toxic sleaze and stupidity.

Basically, what you're talking about is a symptom of that. I know it might be uncomfortable to talk about, but that's the source issue. Nothing wrong with having different races and diversity in your game, but it can't be so forced and PC, which is what Insomniac did unfortunately. And that's why Miles was written the way he was.
I wonder whether this is a reflection on the production team themselves.

In order to make a character believable there is an element of the creator have a rich understanding of that character's world and persona that they can then reflect that out. If everyone on the dev team are mostly nerdie game dev types, then easier to just go for believability through the lens of what you know and project these characters in the same way, otherwise you risk breaking the illusion of a believable character or worse; falling into lazy stereotype depictions that then outrage the fans.

This is a pretty pathetic complaint and really shows that you are racist and triggered. Why does it offend you that there is some Espanol in the game? It takes place in New York, the city with the most people in this country that also has the most spoken languages.

Hearing racists and bigots whine about representation is so stale. Why are you people so delicate and afraid? Keep taking everything that is not catered to you and you alone like some kind of attack on your identity and whining about it online because that is so productive.
Why are they so incapable of making a good black character? Miles, his Dad and his mom were sick in the first game. Now all of a sudden they add forced Spanish dialogue and completely change Miles character, mannerisms and add trap music in order to suck in black players and woke people like you.

Just like how they ruined Peter by making him look closer to Tom Holland in order to attract more casual Marvel movie watchers to the game.

Not everything is racist dude. Get over yourself.

tsumake

Why are they so incapable of making a good black character? Miles, his Dad and his mom were sick in the first game. Now all of a sudden they add forced Spanish dialogue and completely change Miles character, mannerisms and add trap music in order to suck in black players and woke people like you.

Just like how they ruined Peter by making him look closer to Tom Holland in order to attract more casual Marvel movie watchers to the game.

Not everything is racist dude. Get over yourself.

I didn’t play the first game - was it apparent that Miles was Afro-Caribbean? It’s common for someone to have a “home dialog” with family. I guess the question is if you interpret it as a personal family thing, or yet another example of political correctness.

Living in the city I can attest to New York being diverse. It also has its fair share of racists, homophobes and bigots - of all colors. It’s not a postracial paradise. Do the comics talk about that?

Also, given his heritage, I’d see Morales’ family living in Inwood or Washington Heights if they live on Manhattan rather than Harlem. Harlem is kind of an old assumption by the creators, even in 2011.

This people are so crazy they are literally accusing a black person of doing blackface because her skin isn't black enough.

It's almost as if all this woke theories are deeply rooted in actual racism.

The extreme left is completely Batshit insane (as is the extreme right, but that's the other side of the coin).

Im about to say something controversial.

Peter Parker is my Spiderman. I just can't take Miles seriously as Spiderman. He sounds annoying and was created just to please certain section of society.

ZywyPL

Banned
There are alternate Batmans that aren't Bruce Wayne... And Supermans that aren't Clark Kent ... And Captain Americas that aren't Steve Rogers... And so on ...

There's nothing confusing about Spider-man. If you can't follow it, maybe you need more sleep?

But those don't get into the mainstream, just the comic fans know about alternate universes/timelines/characters, that's why we see Batman/Superman/Spider-Man movies being restarted every 10 or so years, rather than expanding the audience awareness on the franchises.

Zoro7

Banned
Im about to say something controversial.

Peter Parker is my Spiderman. I just can't take Miles seriously as Spiderman. He sounds annoying and was created just to please certain section of society.
This is such a shitty take. There is nothing wrong with having another Spider-Man who happens to be black. No idea why people cannot comprehend this. It’s pathetic.

Elog

Kind of a weird thread - I found MM to be a great game both from a mechanics and story point of view albeit a little short. Great game.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
But those don't get into the mainstream, just the comic fans know about alternate universes/timelines/characters, that's why we see Batman/Superman/Spider-Man movies being restarted every 10 or so years, rather than expanding the audience awareness on the franchises.

There's been at least 4 other people taking up the mantle of Captain America in the main Marvel Universe.

There were 3 other Batmans (that I know of) in the main DC universe. (At least 2 existed at the same time)

There's even been 2 Flashes at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom