• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Better Together |OT| Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?

Fuchsdh

Damn it I cant find the Switch OT

I build a pyramid for my beacon....I read on reddit it could be hollow.

My pyramid has four layers but it doesnt work.
So I'm thinking the reddit post is just BS right?

Beacon pyramids have to be solid, yep.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Cleaned up the staircase down to the community mine today on the Neocraft Realm. It's dangerous down there, mobs spawn all over the place, lol.

TDonk

Not near spawn. As far as I know everything that's been explored is on the spawn town map.

I'm on the lookout for one while I'm exploring though. Spawn needs some anti-creeper cats, badly.

Shot you an invite.

Hey.

I got the friend request. But no in-game invite is showing?

TURBO1112

Is the mob cramming rule not working on this version? Was setting up a cow farm and bred to like 40 cows in a 1 block space

Also redstone seems to be a bit wonky too.

TDonk

Great realm you guys have got going in a short space of time.

Looking forward to popping in every so often.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I've established a home for myself, but I've had 3 Creepers blow up the surrounding area, barely missing my house. How do I prevent this from becoming a persistent problem?

Crispy75

I've established a home for myself, but I've had 3 Creepers blow up the surrounding area, barely missing my house. How do I prevent this from becoming a persistent problem?

Build a boundary wall, making sure there are no gaps or spots where mobs can drop/jump over it. Light everything inside your wall with torches.

Fuchsdh

What are everyone's thought so far on this version?

It's not quite Java (RIP coordinates, and I still dunno why the chat filter hashes everything I say), but it runs a hell of a lot better. Will be interested in seeing what the updates look like after the graphics pack.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Build defenses. Or build some fences and torch everything up inside. I don't play much vanilla nowadays but a wall with fence around the top outside edge will prevent creepers and spiders from getting inside. Might want to put a moat outside the wall so the mobs can't get away and can be farmed at your leisure.

GulAtiCa

More screenshots from GAF Land!

DLI28PdUEAA4y1X.jpg:large
DLI29USUEAAr9Dd.jpg:large
DLI2-s9VoAAv_3V.jpg:large
DLI2_tyVwAEMWnh.jpg:large

The 1st is of my Haunted House I'm building in the Town. Every good town needs their own spooky house, esp before Halloween! I'm starting to like the way it looks. Got flickering lights added already. Planning to trap a Witch inside the 3rd floor as well as a Zombie in one of the walls. Got a few more tricks to come too. The whole house will be presented as a Open House type and everyone is welcome to come in.

Fuchsdh is designing the special map room. Looking nice so far!

UF_C built that Skeleton XP Farm. Looks really nice. It's under the now abandoned village south of us. The rail line goes directly too it. Unfortunately, we found out last night that we actually have a skeleton spawner right under our town. I discovered it last night, heh.

For my base, I have an unique way in & out. To get in, you drop down into the lava pit down the hole to drop into the water below it. Kinda funny watching guests avoid it. You do need over 1 heart though, as it will damage you a little if you don't have fire protection. The way up is a roller coaster type rail system that goes around in a circle all the way up. It's designed so that after it reaches the top it will trigger some redstone to send it back down. So you need to actually get out of it in a few seconds or else you will be heading back down. lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What are everyone's thought so far on this version?

I like the W10 version, but it's not all roses:

CONS:

- Missing a few things from the Java version still, like shields
- Water flow animations don't work
- No modding

PROS:

- Runs SOOOOOO much better!!!!
- Draw distance is much farther, very awesome
- Online features are better and easier to use
- AA and overall graphic quality are superior

Overall, I'm now playing the W10 version instead of the Java version. The performance is just too good to ignore.

E92 M3

It's not quite Java (RIP coordinates, and I still dunno why the chat filter hashes everything I say), but it runs a hell of a lot better. Will be interested in seeing what the updates look like after the graphics pack.

I like the W10 version, but it's not all roses:

CONS:

- Missing a few things from the Java version still, like shields
- Water flow animations don't work
- No modding

PROS:

- Runs SOOOOOO much better!!!!
- Draw distance is much farther, very awesome
- Online features are better and easier to use
- AA and overall graphic quality are superior

Overall, I'm now playing the W10 version instead of the Java version. The performance is just too good to ignore.

Thanks guys. I am hyped for XbX upgrades.

The 1st is of my Haunted House I'm building in the Town. Every good town needs their own spooky house, esp before Halloween! I'm starting to like the way it looks. Got flickering lights added already. Planning to trap a Witch inside the 3rd floor as well as a Zombie in one of the walls. Got a few more tricks to come too. The whole house will be presented as a Open House type and everyone is welcome to come in.

Fuchsdh is designing the special map room. Looking nice so far!

UF_C built that Skeleton XP Farm. Looks really nice. It's under the now abandoned village south of us. The rail line goes directly too it. Unfortunately, we found out last night that we actually have a skeleton spawner right under our town. I discovered it last night, heh.

For my base, I have an unique way in & out. To get in, you drop down into the lava pit down the hole to drop into the water below it. Kinda funny watching guests avoid it. You do need over 1 heart though, as it will damage you a little if you don't have fire protection. The way up is a roller coaster type rail system that goes around in a circle all the way up. It's designed so that after it reaches the top it will trigger some redstone to send it back down. So you need to actually get out of it in a few seconds or else you will be heading back down. lol
I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist. lol

TDonk

Yep.

Can confirm.

Grrr.

GulAtiCa

I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist. lol
lol. I might make use of it and turn it into some kind of auto bone generator farm. Maybe I'll have it feed into my Haunted House. I do need to plan out the trap Basement, lol. We'll see.

Yep.

Can confirm.

Grrr.

Yeah, I was a little amused when you got sent back down. I'll prob place a sign at the end so people know to get out quicker. As well as prob delay the send back mechanic a little bit to allow for some extra time.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up. No coords? Is the whole F3 menu gone? It's going to be so hard to space things out over long distances without coordinates.

Supposedly there's some hacks to add that functionality, but I haven't gone looking.
Hmmm, hope so. I bought windows 10 and loaded it onto a USB stick so I'm just about ready to update my PC and join in on the fun. Anyone know if there is an ocean monument near spawn I can claim?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Do we know when the Graphics pack upgrade that was supposed to be in Better together comes out?

GulAtiCa

Hmmm, hope so. I bought windows 10 and loaded it onto a USB stick so I'm just about ready to update my PC and join in on the fun. Anyone know if there is an ocean monument near spawn I can claim?

There is one I know of, I don't know where and I don't think anyone has claimed it yet.

Do we know when the Graphics pack upgrade that was supposed to be in Better together comes out?

Not sure, but it was always meant for later this year, like this Winter I think.

----

Also, everyone be sure to join our Discord!

patientx

There is huuge underground ravine north? of Windyhills? -that castle on the hill- My house is in the swamp area so was digging to the in the general direction of castle and found it. Lots of lavafalls.

Niosai

I'm just now popping into this thread. How do I join the GAF realm? (Apologies if this has been asked a bunch, I've never dealt with realms before)

Sarcasm

I'm just now popping into this thread. How do I join the GAF realm? (Apologies if this has been asked a bunch, I've never dealt with realms before)

The answer is literally what I just said above. Though you need to find the person to quote for the address.

Also you obviously need W10 Minecraft or the equal better together on some of the consoles.

Niosai

The answer is literally what I just said above. Though you need to find the person to quote for the address.

Also you obviously need W10 Minecraft or the equal better together on some of the consoles.

I have the W10 version, however I don't know who to talk to about actually joining.

Fuchsdh

Mostly the lack of certain animations. And no coordinates=me getting lost. And most of my fun in Minecraft has been mapping/exploring. I do build, but it is mostly a means to an end.

Think of it as just challenge mode :p

(That and probably a nether-first system of portals is the best option for connecting everything.)

So I got windows 10 installed last night and hopped onto the realm for a bit. I grabbed some starter gear from spawn and spent some time at the skelly farm getting a sweet bow and then headed off into the wilderness. I passed a village near a ravine and then traveled by boat for a bit until I found an ocean monument that is a couple hundred blocks from another huge ravine. No idea exactly where I am because no coords but I think I'm still relatively close to spawn which is cool.

Here's my first impressions of win 10 version, in no particular order.

- No sweeping attacks. (Are we back to the old attack spamming combat??) It took forever to kill skellies in the farm since I had to hit each one individually.

- Has version of "new" boats that have shitty controls

- There is no delay on placing blocks so anything but the fastest click results in placing at least 2 or 3. Trying to torch up my peninsula near the monument took forever since I would always be throwing down 2 torches at once and have to break one of them.

- Lots of input lag and input loss. Exiting the crafting menu often take 2s hit of Esc and moving items around fast is not possible since clicking to pick them up doesn't always register.

- Default movement speed in water seems faster so Depth Strider 3 is not required ASAP.

- No F3 menu for telling coords, bimoes, chunk boarders, light levels, hit boxes, entity count, etc. All the things that were really useful when doing technical builds and mapping out space. This is probably my biggest problem with this version.

Hopefully with this version being the "main" version now they will bring it in line with Java Edition in a timely fashion. I'm actually really disappointed that this wasn't already the case since I thought bringing all versions up to the same feature set was part of their big E3 announcement.

GulAtiCa

- There is no delay on placing blocks so anything but the fastest click results in placing at least 2 or 3. Trying to torch up my peninsula near the monument took forever since I would always be throwing down 2 torches at once and have to break one of them.

I hate this so much! Makes placing half-slabs so annoying...

I have this issue when using my Xbox One. but for some odd reason when I use the official iPad controller on the iPad, I don't get this issue at all (I'm guessing the iPad controller only sends the command when the trigger is all the way down).

Really hope they fix this.

Maybe it was posted earlier but does anyone know the seed of the realm world? I'd like to enter it into chunkbase and check out what biomes are nearby and get a better idea of where I'm at in the world.

Top Bottom