• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

It would be quite nice to have everything in one book. That way I wouldn't have to purchase a new one for each army just to learn what they have rather than having it sprung on me in the middle of a game.
However, another issue would be new models. The upside would be that they could produce an even spread of new stuff for each army, but, and please correct me if I'm wrong as I really haven't been following it in any great detail, isn't part of the Chapterhouse case that if there isn't already a model for a unit then anyone can step in and make one for commercial sale? If that's the case then they would find themselves having to bring out a mass of kits in a short time to beat the third parties. That of course depends on whether they keep on creating new units for each army as most of them are looking pretty fleshed out these days. Personally I like the sound of all that but it might be a bit too much for GW to be able to pull off at once.

Anyway, has anyone been reading the supposed 6th ed. 40K rules leak from yesterday? I'm going to guess fake but someone had way too much free time on their hands if it is.

The amount sales lost to these companies making proxy models really is probably very minor, in all my years I've never seen anyone use these types of models like offered by Chapterhouse and others. GW is just being greedy and wasting time and money on legal matters that could be spent on getting out the actual product.

They simply need to get the armies down to a point that they would be updated to what they currently actually have, and not be printing rules for units that they wont release a model for for many months to years later. Again taking a page from other companies, they can make everyone happy by releasing expansions that cover everyone. Instead of taking a single army and upgrading them and causing a balance problem, they give everyone a little bit of something. Every army can get one new unit, and these staggered releases can be used to help fine tune armies to get what they are lacking in.

The cycle they follow now is just a mess and is going to always create balance issues, and it displeases many customers, while the rest of the industry is doing it the other way, and they are finding more satisfaction with such a format. You don't get an army that basically is in stasis for years as you wait and hope for an update, while you watch Space Marines get yet another new codex update.

I may well be completely wrong here but I think it's more than a few lost sales that are the issue. What I've picked up from discussions on the Chapterhouse case is that if someone produces a model first then they gain some sort of IP rights to it - just producing a name, description, and rules isn't enough. That means Chapterhouse could in theory sue GW if they then released a tervigon model. That could be why we are now getting models for new units as soon as or very shortly after a book is released, which is awesome. Whatever the truth actually is, tyranids have been royally screwed over this edition.

I totally agree with you on the current system being a mess. It does sometimes feel like a game comes down to who has the newest army.

I may well be completely wrong here but I think it's more than a few lost sales that are the issue. What I've picked up from discussions on the Chapterhouse case is that if someone produces a model first then they gain some sort of IP rights to it - just producing a name, description, and rules isn't enough. That means Chapterhouse could in theory sue GW if they then released a tervigon model. That could be why we are now getting models for new units as soon as or very shortly after a book is released, which is awesome. Whatever the truth actually is, tyranids have been royally screwed over this edition.

I totally agree with you on the current system being a mess. It does sometimes feel like a game comes down to who has the newest army.

And that is because of the way GW does it. Other companies dont have this problem because when they put new stuff in the game, they do it when they are ready to unveil the unit. They reveal new units, they actually have the prototype done and in the book, the design in the book, it's all done and ready and that new model is going to be out in a few months. With GW they constantly create units that don't even have actual models in prototype for, and it could be over a year before you see that model if your lucky. GW just shoots themselves in the foot with how they do it. Switching to a format like other companies do it would completely remove their supposed IP infringement problems, and it also would be more healthy to the game design for balance and keeping customers happy.

Just look at Fantasy, another VC army book? Seriously GW? So many armies need to be updated but their business model is crap and just continues to not just screw customers, but ruin game balance.

Yeah, they really brought it on themselves with their shitty release schedule. I wish I could find another battle system that I enjoyed and that GW didn't produce such damn nice figures. I think I'm going to have to go back through this thread and start taking a serious look at all the other games you've been suggesting.

I think GW makes great games and product still, but they are brought down by how they handle their army releases which put them in a broken cycle. They have solid enough game systems, but their cycle of release will always keep the game unbalanced and in a mess.

Finding other games is tough as most have the issue of the only game being played out there is usually 40K or WFB. In the US at least Warmachine/Hordes has become huge and in general is outselling WFB at least, so there is that option. I don't think it's the best game but it does have lot of advantages and is really popular.

Flames of War is probably the only other miniature game that I would say is common enough for people to easily find opponents to play. Anything else usually requires finding groups or friends to play with.

There seems to be quite a few people who think the leaked 6th ed. document is real. If that's the case then the rules changes are so dramatic that I think this would be a good time to take a break from it until everything is a little more settled, like I did with 3rd ed.

It's probably not the best way to look for a new game system but I really need some good quality minis to get interested in it. That being the case, I think Infinity has got most of my attention. I already know some FoW payers but I don't have any interest in historical gaming, and although I keep hearing good things about Warmachine I personally think the 'jacks look a bit rubbish.

Having said all that, maybe I should just yank out some older games like Necromunda. Never did finish off my Van Saar and getting some players together should be pretty easy.

I got some plastic Khador Man-O-War shocktroopers for Warmachine today, my other Red Commie army. They look nice and a lot easier to assemble than the normal PP metals. Really chunky guys too, a real sense of presence that almost dwarfs the Butcher himself. All the bits come in a bag mixed up without any sprue, so theres a bit of bit-sorting to do, but they look remarkably clean and not much work needed before sticking them. Impressed!

With these guys and all the Tau I've got in boxes and unpainted, I'll have plenty to keep me going til money is flowing freely again.

Incidentally if you guys get these Men-o-war, be aware that unless you want a difficult time, stick the 'mudflaps' for their crotches in the gaps under the legs BEFORE gluing them to their bases. Otherwise you'll never get them in :p I had to glue them to the front and hope it looked ok. I always stick legs to bases first :p

Well complained about the lack of factions in Dust Tactics, but yesterday FFG announced the release of the next faction for the game finally! : http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2987

First air unit previewed as well. Love the Russian walkers, the designs were made smaller and used for the AT-43 game, but these are full sized big boys. I assume next faction after this will be the aliens since they were announced as coming way back during the games original launch and this would make the four main factions folks into the universe know of.

Been collecting them but yea I was always still kind of leery about the game because of only 2 factions. the Cino Russians look great and would love to see air units for the other countries. Also know that at least the Aliens are supposed to be their own faction eventually so their should be 4 factions at minimum. It's very low cost game to get into too which is nice, along with the option for detailed rules coming out with the Warfare book.

Surprised anyone tries this with how GW acted in the past with fan made films.

Surprised anyone tries this with how GW acted in the past with fan made films.

Looks like they'd like to see work continue on it:
Shortly before Christmas I finally got an answer and it was more than positive:) To be honest I think I had the biggest smile in my face in the year 2011:D I will not post any mails in my blog as this is a private conversation between GW and me, but what I can tell you is that GW loves Lordi and everything what me and my team created. So GW really wants to see this project finished and they want me to have a kind of license that allows me to make non commercial Warhammer 40.000 movies. I mean, how cool is that?:) I never thought that GW would be so cool to this project and this is beyond my expectations – now I don’t have to hide anymore with this project, but can look in a proper future for Lordi.

However GW told me that this is a promise for now only and they can not guarantee me that this really becomes true. They have to see for themselfes if that is possible legally with their IP. But they want to get this through and Im optimisitc that this will work:) So we still need to cross our fingers, but it looks really really good for The Lord Inquisitor:)
http://www.thelordinquisitor.com/blog/start-2012/

Neat, maybe GW finally is taking some note of their bad image and trying to be more fan friendly finally....

They've been communicating with fans and showcasing fans' miniatures a lot more lately with their What's New Today blog and Facebook account too, even noticed Forge World saying thanks to Chaos Dwarfs Online community for assisting with the Chaos Dwarfs army FAQ and a couple of their staff have posted on my own website. It's good to see them embracing online again, I think they were turned off for a while after they closed their forum (that place was awful).

noquarter

So, just getting into WH40K, well trying to. Got a friend who is also going to be getting into it and we were looking at splitting the Attack on Black Reach set, him taking Orcs and me taking Space Marines.

Think we also got a couple other people looking at giving it a shot, but they aren't really sure where to start. Are there any other set like AoBR, with other races? Also, I wanted to start building my marines, but would like to stay in line with the fluff, is there any good place to look quickly at the sets and know what pieces go with what? Like the skulls on the chest and skulls with wings, what backpacks go to what rank, etc? I'm going through the Codex, and I couldn't find anything saying that the Squad leader should be wearing this and basic dudes wearing this.

Appreciate any help and hope to be able to really get into this this year.

They've been communicating with fans and showcasing fans' miniatures a lot more lately with their What's New Today blog and Facebook account too, even noticed Forge World saying thanks to Chaos Dwarfs Online community for assisting with the Chaos Dwarfs army FAQ and a couple of their staff have posted on my own website. It's good to see them embracing online again, I think they were turned off for a while after they closed their forum (that place was awful).

Coming back to the hobby, I was surprised White Dwarf was still pretty closed-off to the community. Most mags I read have moved with the times and the readers play a pretty large part of it - I expected WD to be full of pics of reader's models, feedback, and discussions. Aside from the new models, though, it's the same as it was twelve years ago.

New preview of some more cino russian units for Dust are up along with some new Allied walkers: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3055

Coming back to the hobby, I was surprised White Dwarf was still pretty closed-off to the community. Most mags I read have moved with the times and the readers play a pretty large part of it - I expected WD to be full of pics of reader's models, feedback, and discussions. Aside from the new models, though, it's the same as it was twelve years ago.

They kind of have been pretty good with that with their facebook page, and you don't have to pay for it.

So, just getting into WH40K, well trying to. Got a friend who is also going to be getting into it and we were looking at splitting the Attack on Black Reach set, him taking Orcs and me taking Space Marines.

Think we also got a couple other people looking at giving it a shot, but they aren't really sure where to start. Are there any other set like AoBR, with other races? Also, I wanted to start building my marines, but would like to stay in line with the fluff, is there any good place to look quickly at the sets and know what pieces go with what? Like the skulls on the chest and skulls with wings, what backpacks go to what rank, etc? I'm going through the Codex, and I couldn't find anything saying that the Squad leader should be wearing this and basic dudes wearing this.

Appreciate any help and hope to be able to really get into this this year.

It's kind of hard to start into it without knowing what you really want on your troops. I always recommend making your troops in their basic form of equipment that they will have and any extras, leave off till you learn the game more and then glue on what you need and finish with any painting later. Some people buy and fully paint their stuff before ever playing and I think its a bad idea as you will often find you build a unit wrong or want to swap out gear. Just do the basics and get in some learning games in first before going all out. Right now really only the ork/SM box is out there that is good starting point. If players want to try other races, it's best they learn using the starter set, let them play with your own figs to teach them the game basics. They then can pick up the books for the army of their choice and have an idea of how the game actually works, from there they can start collecting the models they will need.

FINALLY started painting my Space Wolves tonight. Spent about 2 hours coating a bunch of them in some chaos black to get them all evened out after I'd primed them in the initial spray paint. Tomorrow, I'll start with the actual colours to make them fly the right colours.

So many mistakes I made with them when I build the models. Things I've learned:

1) Never again will I assemble my figures with arms, heads, or weapons attached and THEN paint them.

2) Patience is a virtue. Clean your damn models of all mold lines and sprue lines

3) Look at what you're gluing together before you...you know....glue it together with super glue.

Ah well, newbie mistakes. The rest of my Space Wolves won't suffer these problems.

Black-Box

Is there a better paint to use for painting warhammers, or should I just stick with Games workshop paints. I think its time to paint my Tau army

Whats a good way to get more people into Warhammer 40k, I am feeling like I should buy a Imperial guard army starter pack so I can have them battle my Tau starter army.

Is there a better paint to use for painting warhammers, or should I just stick with Games workshop paints. I think its time to paint my Tau army

Whats a good way to get more people into Warhammer 40k, I am feeling like I should buy a Imperial guard army starter pack so I can have them battle my Tau starter army.

Most folks who start, start with GW's paints, but I know quite a few who use Vallejo paints as well (there's like 2 other majors out there also, but GW & Vallejo are the 2 biggies).

To be honest, armywise, it all boils down to this:

Hoard Army?

or

Regular Army?

Do you want to have a metric fuckton's worth of troops out there, but are uber squishy? Or do you mind having far smaller numbers, but can survive longer? My first army is my Space Wolves, so under a 2,000 point army, I'll have a TON fewer troops on the field of play over say a Tyranid player.

My next army will be Orks, because...well....they're Orks and I want to field a bajillion boyz on the board at once.

i mainly use cheap bottles of acrylic hobby paint from craft stores. Get a ton of paint and often less than a buck a bottle. Only use gw or such paints for very unique colors

What do you guys think about the sixth edition starter kit supposedly being Dark Angels versus Chaos Marines+cultists+ Dreadnought? On you hand, Dark angels were my first army and I'd like to see them get some love, it's finally time there was a new chaos dread kit( which hopefully means the insanity rules are fixed because I can't see them putting such an awful rule on a starting kit unit), new termy kits, and hopefully this represents an effort to bring Chaos back to the forefront. But on the other hand its Power Armor vs Power Armor which depending on the choices made could be really boring. I'd like to be able to use the cultists as meat shields while I use the marines and dreadnought as a hammer and anvil or for my Dark Angels to use my Terminators as rapid counter attackers. But it seems like such an easy thing for them to mess up. Your thoughts?

What do you guys think about the sixth edition starter kit supposedly being Dark Angels versus Chaos Marines+cultists+ Dreadnought? On you hand, Dark angels were my first army and I'd like to see them get some love, it's finally time there was a new chaos dread kit( which hopefully means the insanity rules are fixed because I can't see them putting such an awful rule on a starting kit unit), new termy kits, and hopefully this represents an effort to bring Chaos back to the forefront. But on the other hand its Power Armor vs Power Armor which depending on the choices made could be really boring. I'd like to be able to use the cultists as meat shields while I use the marines and dreadnought as a hammer and anvil or for my Dark Angels to use my Terminators as rapid counter attackers. But it seems like such an easy thing for them to mess up. Your thoughts?

Right now, any of the 6th Edition stuff is to be considered false, even though some does seem legit.

I just hope GW get's off their butts & stops suing people who help SUPPORT the hobby because right now, all their own lawsuits have STOPPED the release of various "2nd Wave" stuff for the various armies (Hello! Space Wolves 2nd Wave that had the Thunderwolf Calvary among other things). Seriously Games Workshop, the only reason why you're suing Chapterhouse Studios is because they're actually making stuff that's better looking than your own stuff. STOP IT!

Black-Box

Right now, any of the 6th Edition stuff is to be considered false, even though some does seem legit.

I just hope GW get's off their butts & stops suing people who help SUPPORT the hobby because right now, all their own lawsuits have STOPPED the release of various "2nd Wave" stuff for the various armies (Hello! Space Wolves 2nd Wave that had the Thunderwolf Calvary among other things). Seriously Games Workshop, the only reason why you're suing Chapterhouse Studios is because they're actually making stuff that's better looking than your own stuff. STOP IT!

what other sites building custom warhammer stuff, I always thought Forge world was the only one......so what keeps Forge World safe?

Forge World is owned by GW.

Yeah, Forge World = Games Workshop spinoff (independent from GW, but effectively joined at the hip in all things).

Have spent a good chunk of the day base coating about 28 of my Space Wolves and then putting on a good foundation coat and then finally a wash. Am about to go back in and dry brush some highlights on them before I start on the detail work.

Seriously Games Workshop, the only reason why you're suing Chapterhouse Studios is because they're actually making stuff that's better looking than your own stuff.

I've never seen any 3rd party models that looked better than GW's own stuff. The odd conversion or scratch build, sure, but nothing that was available commercially. Of all the issues I have with GW, the quality of their sculpts is not one of them.

noquarter

It's kind of hard to start into it without knowing what you really want on your troops. I always recommend making your troops in their basic form of equipment that they will have and any extras, leave off till you learn the game more and then glue on what you need and finish with any painting later. Some people buy and fully paint their stuff before ever playing and I think its a bad idea as you will often find you build a unit wrong or want to swap out gear. Just do the basics and get in some learning games in first before going all out. Right now really only the ork/SM box is out there that is good starting point. If players want to try other races, it's best they learn using the starter set, let them play with your own figs to teach them the game basics. They then can pick up the books for the army of their choice and have an idea of how the game actually works, from there they can start collecting the models they will need.

Thanks. I wanted to get into it for the model building and playing was going to be a bonus. I have built some of the Marines and still keep reading the codex, rulebook and started the Horus Heresy. So far it seems my guys are "legit."

Looks like one guy is going for the Tau. Don't know how he decided that, but seems to really want to build them. Hopefully within the next month or so we can play a game and start that whole learning process.

I've never seen any 3rd party models that looked better than GW's own stuff. The odd conversion or scratch build, sure, but nothing that was available commercially. Of all the issues I have with GW, the quality of their sculpts is not one of them.

Not complaining about GW's models one bit. They honestly make the best models in the business. My problem is that they're so busy suing bits makers that they're not releasing model kits/sets because they're paranoid they'll muscle in on their business in some form or fashion. On one of the 40k forums I visit (Heresy Online), we've been talking about it in great depth.

Not complaining about GW's models one bit. They honestly make the best models in the business. My problem is that they're so busy suing bits makers that they're not releasing model kits/sets because they're paranoid they'll muscle in on their business in some form or fashion. On one of the 40k forums I visit (Heresy Online), we've been talking about it in great depth.

Not releasing kits makes no sense and is just more pure online lawyer speculation that has little merit. The issue if anything is that them not releasing things is where these 3rd party vendors are supplying what GW isn't giving its customers. GW not releasing things on purpose just goes against this completely. The same logic and laws that protect the 3rd party vendors, protects GW's own products.

Also a ton of 3rd party vendors are selling products without a single problem from GW, Chapterhouse simply fucked up big time. Unlike the other studios out there putting out product and being untouched by GW, Chapterhouse made huge mistakes in using GW product names and GW iconography on their products. Chapterhouse wasn't even that good with their quality, but if you look at some of the amazing 40k models other companies are putting out, you see how they properly skirt around any copyright issues. Chapterhouse simply screwed up.

BTW, here's a WIP for my Space Wolves (still tons of detail work to do, sorry for the crappy camera work....I need to get one that can actually focus in close)

SANY0048.jpg

and ones that are 2 steps behind:

SANY0051.jpg

Army Painter paint preview: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-army-painter-warpaints.html

Nice to see they are matching their primers. That was the one thing I didn't like about the colored primers, having to touch up missed spots and trying to match the color of the primer.

Well that was rather stupid!

Yea they screwed up big time on that, but the issue that I think has garnered lot of attention was that GW has gone after alot of Chapterhouse when not everything they did was using GW names and imagery. GW probably is trying to make an example out of them and pushing their luck here, as they would have no grounds against most other 3rd party vendors. Others make space marines, it's plainly obvious it's a SM rip off, but they know not to call them such or use any actual imagery on their products from the franchise.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Yeah, they really screwed over some armies (nids specifically as thunderwolves are a stupid idea that will never see a place in my army). They're getting better though as any new units seem to be receiving a model as soon as, or at least very shortly after, the new book is released.

Anyway, if rumours are true, you'll be getting your TWC next month.

So much minor detail work on my Space Wolves army, the progress is agonizingly slow, due to the sheer volume I'm doing (remember, I'm a 1st time painter here with almost 30 models to work on). But at least I've learned a TON about painting since the start as model 10 is better than model 1 and model 20 is better than model 10 and so on and so forth.

My next round of Space Wolves are going to not only look better when put together, but will have a far better paint job as well. (duh)

So much minor detail work on my Space Wolves army, the progress is agonizingly slow, due to the sheer volume I'm doing (remember, I'm a 1st time painter here with almost 30 models to work on). But at least I've learned a TON about painting since the start as model 10 is better than model 1 and model 20 is better than model 10 and so on and so forth.

My next round of Space Wolves are going to not only look better when put together, but will have a far better paint job as well. (duh)

At least you're making good progress. I'm terrible when it comes to painting as I much prefer the assembling side and then get distracted with another project.

The new wolves models look so damn good but I have to try and resist for now. I haven't touched my wolves army since 4th ed. and they're going to look pretty drab next to the blinged up new models. One of the last things I was working on for them was converting a battle leader:

I was pretty annoyed when they ruled that combi-bolters didn't work with true grit, but I guess it doesn't matter now under the current rules. Actually, do Wolves still use combi-bolters, or does everyone get storm bolters now?

At least you're making good progress. I'm terrible when it comes to painting as I much prefer the assembling side and then get distracted with another project.

The new wolves models look so damn good but I have to try and resist for now. I haven't touched my wolves army since 4th ed. and they're going to look pretty drab next to the blinged up new models. One of the last things I was working on for them was converting a battle leader:

I was pretty annoyed when they ruled that combi-bolters didn't work with true grit, but I guess it doesn't matter now under the current rules. Actually, do Wolves still use combi-bolters, or does everyone get storm bolters now?

Man....so much dwarf bronze used on my Space Wolves tonight. Yeah, while it's not huge surface areas covered, it's like when I painted all my bones/skull/teeth stuff earlier in that it takes just as much time as it does when you're just basecoating/dry brushing everything. Still, it's nice to have made progress. 1 step closer. 1 step closer.

Still working on my Tau. Got some Vespids to finish up on Saturday, then gonna build a few battlesuits up. Bought some resin railguns so going to convert a couple of them into Broadsides.

Seems I missed this the other day:
Black Library Writer Joins Lord Inquisitor Movie!

Games Workshop has decided to give The Lord Inquisitor fan film a 100% green light which means we can now find out who will be writing the story for this 40k film.

That’s right Black Library writer Aaron Dembski-Bowden will be providing the plot for this great animation and I for one am really excited to see a Black Library author on board for this.
http://www.beastsofwar.com/sci-fi-wargaming/black-library-writer-joins-lord-inquisitor/

That's awesome news!

From the Lord Inquisitor website:
Games Workshop decided to finally give me the 100% green light for this project and now this project is totally free and don’t has to hide anymore:) The Emperor listened to our prayers and made the impossible possible: The first allowed fan movie for Warhammer 40.000:) So tomorrow I go to my local GW store and buy something haha, just to support them, and you should do the same; buy lots of Torquemada figures:)

So a big Thank you to Games Workshop for letting me continue my project and well – I think great times are ahead for us fans:) I have lots of ideas in mind and the coolest storywriter possible – I will tell you later this week who he is. Also I’m pretty sure that we can extend the previously planned time of 15 minutes to something longer – depends on the story. I get contacted by many cool artists these days and I never never could have imagined that Lordi becomes so extremely popular – the facebook fans are raising constanly and fast and I get to know more and more guys from the official Warhammer Universe.

The main story writer for The Lord Inquisitor is Aaron Dembski -Bowden, well known for his Warhammer 40.000 novels for the Black Library and Horus Heresy:) This is of course so cool, I don’t know what else to write – and there is probably no need for that;)

So with the music composed by Adam Harvey we now have another fantastic and well known artist on board, what raised Lordi again up to a new level:)
http://thelordinquisitor.com/

Have learned that I'm going to spend more money than I'd originally wanted to on Chaos Black pots since I've not liked the results of the black spray paint I've tried lately, but the models I did up with Chaos Black came up smooth as silk when I used that as a primer. Also, need to find the sweet spot for watered down paints so I can get everything on and it be just thick enough to coat the model & not clump up over detail like a couple of mine have had happen so far.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Space Puppies and Tyranids are getting their second wave releases in March.

Plastic Thunderwolves (three to a box), Tervigon/Tyrannofex and Winged Tyrant are included. Alot of metal models are now finecast.

New plastic Wolves from GW to replace the 20 year old sculpts! Woohoo! :D

PMvis.jpg

They look great too. I'm definitely going to find a use for the bigger ones in my Ogre Kingdoms army (Sabretusks):

t3ERm.jpg

Barmaley

Neo Member
My first post on neogaf.
Anyways, I've always liked the Warhammer lore. I played pretty much every warhammer pc game i could get my hands on, starting with dark omen till the very recent space marine. I even bought Chaos in the Old World, which lately became my favorite boardgame.
So, I decided that it's time to go deeper, time to get on the miniatures train. After hours upon hours of googling and misinforming myself on what could prove an easy entrance into the hobby I decided to start with one of the paint sets. One of these:
m1340748a_99170299006_WarhammerPaintSet_445x319.jpg

m1340743a_99170199008_40kPaintSet_445x319.jpg

I say one of these because I still haven't decided if I'm going to get into Warhammer Fantasy or 40k. I really like the look of the skaven but I also am more into scifi. Warhammer 40k badly needs some space rats!! I am slightly drifting towards the goblin set since it would also allow me to paint some my Chaos in the Old World miniatures. But the main reason I'm starting with a paint set is that i want to try myself on the miniatures included before i ruin any of the costly armies that would come later.
Any advice for a beginner who didn't even begin yet are highly welcome.

Check out many of the good online painting tutorials. Tons of sites over the years have done some, and even gamesworkshop site has some as well. Learning the basic of painting is important, especially the most important lesson, which is you can always add more paint. You can't as easily take off too much paint. So be conservative with your painting at first as a beginner mistake is often gloping on way too much paint.

And mantic games is coming out with space skaven basically: http://www.manticblog.com/?p=5397

I like 40K best. Fantasy often seems to just come down to charging at each other and relatively little in the way of mind games and tactics.

40K, with its smaller squads and more varied army tactics interests me a lot more, plus some of the newer armies like Necrons, Tau and Dark Eldar are really cool. Well, they're new to me.

Something I've noticed is that ever since Dark Eldar and Necrons were updated the local meta has been rapidly shifting and I'm seeing more unique lists than I was before. Hopefully that means that GW will update the xenos lists more often. So of the two xenos armies who need it the most, Eldar and Tau, who would like to see updated first?

Also that Flyrant is incredible and is probably what I'll get my brother + a tervigon for his birthday.

So of the two xenos armies who need it the most, Eldar and Tau, who would like to see updated first?

Well me and my eldar army's completely unbiased answer would be eldar :p. But seriously, Tau are in dire need of an update. There's just so much stuff in the eldar book that you can happily avoid the bad units and still have a pretty diverse army, and we also got an Imperial Armour book recently with several nice toys in it. The warp hunter is absolutely evil.

Top Bottom