• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I like 40K best. Fantasy often seems to just come down to charging at each other and relatively little in the way of mind games and tactics.

40K, with its smaller squads and more varied army tactics interests me a lot more, plus some of the newer armies like Necrons, Tau and Dark Eldar are really cool. Well, they're new to me.

It's perfectly acceptable to like 40k more - it is a skirmish games vs. an army game, apples and oranges - but Fantasy is widely seen as the more tactical game. It revolves around the finesse of movement and positioning, whereas 40k's movement is very simple.

It's perfectly acceptable to like 40k more - it is a skirmish games vs. an army game, apples and oranges - but Fantasy is widely seen as the more tactical game. It revolves around the finesse of movement and positioning, whereas 40k's movement is very simple.

In no way is 40k considered a skirmish game by industry standards. Both are considered army level games. Necromunda and Gorkamorka were basically 40k skirmish games.

Skirmish games tend to run about 10-20 models only and skirmish also generally means more complex individual unit rules. Army scale games like Fantasy/40K feature streamlined simplified rules for larger sized battles.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
I'd have to agree with the 40k not being a skirmish game statement. It seems like most armies are primarily balanced for around 1000pts. which is generally a pretty large number of models unless you have a elite force of awesome units. I've never played or even seen fantasy so I really don't know how the two compare scale wise.

After buying some 40k stuff but never really finishing it because when looking at the huge number of models I still didn't have enough to field a decent 1000 point army. My first mistake might have been to initially start with Tyranids though.

I actually got really hooked by Warmachine/Hordes it is much more of a skirmish game and because the model count is typically smaller it's a much less daunting to a miniature noob like myself. Another plus is that it's very melee centric which helps keep it very different than 40k. /pro WarmaHordes rant.

So on the topic of my n00b self I'm stoked that I finally have a fully assembled army last night I finished putting together all my Protectorate Figures and now I have to move onto the even more intimidating job of painting them all up. So I'd love any advice you guys could give, If you guys know of any good painting or general hobby sites I haven't found much myself. Also I primed my first batch in white since the army's color schemes are basically white/red/gold I thought the light base would save me time, but I'm not sure now after starting to paint a few models. My question is should I switch to black primer from now on or will it look bad to have about half my army primed with a different color?

Thanks for any advice you all can give

Barmaley

Neo Member
So, I decided to get into 40k. That could turn out to be a long process though, since I don't have the will nor the resources to buy a whole army, the necessary books and all that other stuff that comes with it. I'm probably going to start with an infantry box and work my way up from there. The army I'm eyeing currently is the necrons, what with them getting a new codex and a bunch of neat-looking units not long ago.
Here is the result of my first attempt with the 40k paint set:
rei8mfba.jpg

gtk6wnvf.jpg

....and i just noticed that I forgot to paint the eyes. It may look awful but it cost me dearly. While cutting off the mold lines I somehow managed to stab my finger. Pretty deep slash too it was, spraying blood everywhere. Blood for the blood god and all that, I hope i didn't summon any warp creature by accident.
The painting process itself, though frustrating at times, was more fun than expected. For some odd reason the priming undercoat black colour refused to stick to the plastic. I had to paint it 2-3 times with undercoat black to get every millimetre covered, which had the ugly side-effect that it left some quite noticeable brush marks all over it. I may have to invest into a spray paint at some point.
Also, next time I'll visit gw I'll definitely get a finer brush. Trying to paint the details with the standard brush is really a pain in the arse.

Leunam

The plastics might have some mold release agent on them, which is what allows for easy separation of the mold from the cast. It's easy enough to clean, just mildly warm water and some soap and just go over every part with a toothbrush. Shouldn't have any problems after that. Also, be sure to shake the primer can thoroughly.

I never had trouble getting the primer to stick to GW plastics, I know you normally got to clean any resin models before hand though for that very reason.

To clarify, I called 40k a skirmish game only in the context of a comparison with Fantasy.

Well I guess in style of combat you would consider it a skirmish, especially in fluff sense of the universe.

Even Warmachine/Hordes is really not a skirmish game either especially since the continually make the game bigger and bigger in scale.

So, I decided to get into 40k. That could turn out to be a long process though, since I don't have the will nor the resources to buy a whole army, the necessary books and all that other stuff that comes with it. I'm probably going to start with an infantry box and work my way up from there. The army I'm eyeing currently is the necrons, what with them getting a new codex and a bunch of neat-looking units not long ago.
Here is the result of my first attempt with the 40k paint set:
rei8mfba.jpg

gtk6wnvf.jpg

....and i just noticed that I forgot to paint the eyes. It may look awful but it cost me dearly. While cutting off the mold lines I somehow managed to stab my finger. Pretty deep slash too it was, spraying blood everywhere. Blood for the blood god and all that, I hope i didn't summon any warp creature by accident.
The painting process itself, though frustrating at times, was more fun than expected. For some odd reason the priming undercoat black colour refused to stick to the plastic. I had to paint it 2-3 times with undercoat black to get every millimetre covered, which had the ugly side-effect that it left some quite noticeable brush marks all over it. I may have to invest into a spray paint at some point.
Also, next time I'll visit gw I'll definitely get a finer brush. Trying to paint the details with the standard brush is really a pain in the arse.

Other than missing painting the eyes, it looks good!

Yeah, thats a more than above par first model. Given a good selection of paints, basing materials and perhaps a spray primer you should be able to put a nice army together.

Spray primer is great because it saves so much time, and gives a lovely clear smooth finish.

Necrons would also be good, they're fairly monochrome as standard but I've seen lots of adventurous colour schemes too, so you can paint them how you feel comfortable.

I'd love to get back into 40k (collecting and painting). Except the prices are mostly laughable.
Thankfully I've got all the LOTR figures I want, and a load of 40k stuff to finish.

Looking at the LOTR plastics now- get half the figures for effectively 1.5 times the price? Jesus christ. It was £12 for 24 when I started, now it would cost £27 for 24.....

The kids who GW relies on to buy a load of models and then give up on the hobby must have rich parents!

Barmaley

Neo Member
Other than missing painting the eyes, it looks good!

Yeah, thats a more than above par first model. Given a good selection of paints, basing materials and perhaps a spray primer you should be able to put a nice army together.

Thanks! I'll try some colour mixing next, and maybe buy a pot or two of different paints (ex. necron abyss).

I'd love to get back into 40k (collecting and painting). Except the prices are mostly laughable.
Thankfully I've got all the LOTR figures I want, and a load of 40k stuff to finish.

Looking at the LOTR plastics now- get half the figures for effectively 1.5 times the price? Jesus christ. It was £12 for 24 when I started, now it would cost £27 for 24.....

The kids who GW relies on to buy a load of models and then give up on the hobby must have rich parents!

Yeah, you are right on the money there.
Today i paid them a visit again since they were advertising pretty heavily on their facebook wall their uncoming 25th anniversary - advertising with tales of promised fun and looting of goodies. I didn't find either. Whatever anniversary merchandise there has been, it was mostly sold out. When I asked one of the staff members what's on the program, he told me pretty straight-faced that if I bought stuff for 300€ or more I'd automatically take part in a lottery for a titan, and that I had pretty good winning chances because at that time only 10 other people were in the running. Right at that moment a teenager of about 12-15 years spilled a bunch of what looked like expensive army boxes next to the cash register. That's when I started doubting whether I'm trying to pick the right hobby for me. I decided to wait till the 50th anniversary to partake in their lottery.

Oh, also when asked if there were maybe any discounts due to this greatest of occasions, the sales dude told me with much gravitas in his voice that "GAMES WORKSHOP NEVER GIVES DISCOUNTS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, NEVER". He looked very sour-faced by then, I expected him to flip the table and tell me to get out.

Oh, also when asked if there were maybe any discounts due to this greatest of occasion, the sales dude told with much gravitas in his voice that "GAMES WORKSHOP NEVER GIVES DISCOUNTS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, NEVER". He looked very sour-faced by then, I expected him to flip the table and tell me to get out.

Back in the day my local GW used to have bargain bins, a loyalty scheme called Skullz (you got freebies when you bought stuff), and they even used to have a mini sale on the manager's birthday, but they don't seem to do that any more and I very rarely buy directly from GW these days. You can get decent discounts from independent hobby retailers - some have up to 25% off RRP for the 25th anniversary of 40K, such as MiniWarGaming in the US and Total Wargamer in the UK.

While GW has some things that are priced a bit high or they just don't make much sense in their pricing, it's not really a whole lot more than alot of the competing products on the market. The biggest issue with GW and their prices that hurt a person is the size of the armies you make for it compared to other games. Warmachnice/Hordes prices are not much better for example, just look at their recent large models which are not really any bigger than a large GW vehicle kit, are resin, and cost retail over $80.

Our local group has not been playing much of the big games anymore, I ended up selling out all my fantasy army stuff and we are mainly focusing on smaller skirmish games which are cheaper to play, and just more manageable. Pulling out a giant army and setting up a 40k match can really take some time. A game of malifaux or Infinity though will have usually less than 10 models a side and you play on a smaller surface as well. Clean up and set up is just so much faster.... and you don't spend as much money to play these games either.

Though none of these games are anywhere as popular as 40k or Fantasy.

Oh an GW is apparently opening a store down here by us in Miami... everyone is laughing at the idea, the GW stores are so bad and the local places at least have sales and offer discounts on the products.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Yo, Warmachine/Hordes players, what's the word on Skorne? Thinking about picking up the battle box.

I'm new to the game myself but they seem like a pretty cool army couple of suggestions if you haven't already done them

First: check out battle college It's a great site that has some good general info on all the armies their basic play style and talks about the units they have.

Second: All the hordes armies are going to have plastic battle boxes coming out in the next month or two so depending on how much you hate metal it might be worth waiting, (which is what I'm planning before picking up my legion box)

So I have been trying to decide on a hordes army to pickup myself and it seems like the best advice is look at the general play style and look of the army and if you like it go for it. The game is pretty well balanced and it's like a fighting game in that most matches are won and lost on tactics and player skill not unit imbalance at least until you get to the national level.

But do a little research and don't just buy based on look, I started with protectorate because they are crazy angry hand of god zealots, but then discovered that they are really heavy on the use of infantry. And considering I switched to warmachine from 40k because I didn't want giant armies to paint and assemble I was a little burnt. But regardless of that I say pick a army and go for it I really love this games system and the models are fantastic.

Yeah, you are right on the money there.
Today i paid them a visit again since they were advertising pretty heavily on their facebook wall their uncoming 25th anniversary - advertising with tales of promised fun and looting of goodies. I didn't find either. Whatever anniversary merchandise there has been, it was mostly sold out. When I asked one of the staff members what's on the program, he told me pretty straight-faced that if I bought stuff for 300€ or more I'd automatically take part in a lottery for a titan, and that I had pretty good winning chances because at that time only 10 other people were in the running. Right at that moment a teenager of about 12-15 years spilled a bunch of what looked like expensive army boxes next to the cash register. That's when I started doubting whether I'm trying to pick the right hobby for me. I decided to wait till the 50th anniversary to partake in their lottery.

Oh, also when asked if there were maybe any discounts due to this greatest of occasions, the sales dude told me with much gravitas in his voice that "GAMES WORKSHOP NEVER GIVES DISCOUNTS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, NEVER". He looked very sour-faced by then, I expected him to flip the table and tell me to get out.

Heh, oddly enough I grabbed this months WD (waste of money, read it in 30 mins but whatever), and noticed the 40k celebrations. Lo and behold there was the special edition Space Marine for it. Was about to jump in and buy one online....except it was £20 and Finecast, which I'm not too keen on yet. I got Harry the Hammer and the three figure White Dwarf one for £15 each a few years back, and they seemed to have a lot more to them.

The celebrations in store for those events were meant to be pretty good, though I never went myself. Did go to Gamesday 07 though, had a blast. Got all the LE figures from that too, but I wish I'd had enough on me at the time to grab one of the Company sized Space Marine box sets for Apocalypse!

That's pretty cool! I was wondering about indoor battles a while back. Kind of like boarding an enemy spacecraft and fighting them on their own ship!

Also, copypasta from my Dakka thread...

C6GNQ.jpg

For the curious, here's the full army of assembled minis. Most are fully painted, apart from the primed-only battlesuits, broadside, Kroot hounds and shaper. There's also about 6 unprimed Drones there.

As for points, I've not been so focussed on how many I'm aiming for. I just wanted to collect an army that looked good! :) So if I end up with enough that I can vary my army play style depending on foe and points level, I'll be happy. Very quickly working out what's on the table now though... (tell me if I'm working these points out wrong, I need to learn!)

5 Vespid Stingwings plus Strain Leader - 102 pts
3 Crisis Battlesuit Shas'ui with Multitracker, Burst Rifle and Missile Pod - 150 pts
12 Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles + Shas'la - 130 pts
8 Gun Drones - 96 pts
Tau Ethereal with Honour Blade - 60 pts
Devilfish - 80 pts
Piranha with Fusion Blaster - 65 pts
12 Kroot + Shaper + 2 Krootox Riders + 4 Kroot Hounds - 206 pts
3 Shas'ui XV8 Stealth Suits, one with Fusion Blaster and Bonding Knife, one with Drone Controller plus Marker Drone, one with Targeting Array - 137 pts

So that's roughly, give or take depending on extra options and load out... 1026 points assembled so far there. Would be easy enough to knock a few things out to make a 1000 point list.

With the other Battlesuits, Stealth Suits, Fire Warriors and Piranha I've got in boxes still, I think I can make it up to 1500 with what I've currently got.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/Z/zonemortalis.pdf

Forgeworld have released the Zone Mortalis expansion for free. The rules cover indoor fighting in 40k and is built around 1000pt battles. They have also released modular terrain tiles to go with it but at £360 for a full 4'x4' board it is a bit expensive.

Expensive but oh so worth it, if you ask me (seriously, the whole Space Hulk tileset needed a MASSIVE shot in the arm and this will do it for those looking for a better visual "Ooomph" than the typical tile boards). Honestly, unless the ruleset says otherwise, you can keep chaining these together as long as you have both money & room, yes? If so, I guess you could go beyond just 1000 point armies if that's the case.....

Switters

Hello, friends. I'm picking up a ton of Skorne for hordes for so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Does anyone here play Skorne or have any advice for list building?

I will post pictures of the Vessel of Judgement I've been painting soon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There's space wolves in Warhammer 40K? WTF

Do they even have suits to wear?

I like the lore of Warhammer 40K, but have never really gotten into the miniature games since its expensive and I suck at painting.

There's space wolves in Warhammer 40K? WTF

Do they even have suits to wear?

I like the lore of Warhammer 40K, but have never really gotten into the miniature games since its expensive and I suck at painting.

40k has a bit over everything. The Fenris wolves are also giant wolves, think of like Dire wolves, some big enough that a powered armored marine can ride on. The Space Wolves Marines are one of the more fun chapters as they are more like Space vikings and they have awesome viking/metal hair.

40k has a bit over everything. The Fenris wolves are also giant wolves, think of like Dire wolves, some big enough that a powered armored marine can ride on. The Space Wolves Marines are one of the more fun chapters as they are more like Space vikings and they have awesome viking/metal hair.

Also the background for them is immense! Read any of the army books, or an old White Dwarf (I've got it, its from '99 or so), its fantastic, especially reading about their homeworld!

Also the background for them is immense! Read any of the army books, or an old White Dwarf (I've got it, its from '99 or so), its fantastic, especially reading about their homeworld!

Yup. Have read both Space Wolves Omnibus', also the Battle of the Fang novel, & 1-2 short stories in anthologies.

For Russ & the AllFather!

Leunam

They suppress their own anti-poison organ in order to get wasted. How awesome is that?

Space Wolves are pretty bad ass.

I bought some Killa Kans today, they looked really fun. I also picked up the Ork codex. So far I just have the Black Reach stuff (so 5 Nobz, 20 Boyz, a Warboss and 3 Deffkoptas) plus the Kans, but it'll give me a small force to test my Tau against. I can see myself collecting the two armies side by side for the sheer difference in play styles. One army you want to keep out of close combat, and one that needs to rush on in! :D

Switters

Just finished up this Vessel of Judgment for a commission. Took forever, but I'm happy witht the results. What do you guys think?

guYqM.jpg

Space Wolves are pretty bad ass.

I bought some Killa Kans today, they looked really fun. I also picked up the Ork codex. So far I just have the Black Reach stuff (so 5 Nobz, 20 Boyz, a Warboss and 3 Deffkoptas) plus the Kans, but it'll give me a small force to test my Tau against. I can see myself collecting the two armies side by side for the sheer difference in play styles. One army you want to keep out of close combat, and one that needs to rush on in! :D

Yea I built up a Imperial Guard and Ork army, like how they feel like perfect enemies to play with and opposing play styles.

Just finished up this Vessel of Judgment for a commission. Took forever, but I'm happy witht the results. What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/guYqM.jpg

Well you did an amazing job with the paint on a model I hate hehe. Looks great.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd like a Warhammer 40K Discussion |OT| but I'm not sure how popular it would really be. Like I said I don't play the game, but I like the lore a lot. I usually find myself reading wikis or TV Tropes. I didn't even know like I said that there were space wolves. I need to start the books at some point, either The Horus Heresy or Ciaphus Cain ones.

I guess one disappointing thing is that the series really only expands horizontally, books and lore will get released expanding the universe, but there will likely be no real conclusion unless they somehow went for a reboot.

I'd like a Warhammer 40K Discussion |OT| but I'm not sure how popular it would really be. Like I said I don't play the game, but I like the lore a lot. I usually find myself reading wikis or TV Tropes. I didn't even know like I said that there were space wolves. I need to start the books at some point, either The Horus Heresy or Ciaphus Cain ones.

I guess one disappointing thing is that the series really only expands horizontally, books and lore will get released expanding the universe, but there will likely be no real conclusion unless they somehow went for a reboot.

The story only moves forward usually during any major table top game releases, but even then the story is also just a never ending cycle in a ways. Basically the same stuff has been going on for over 10k years. They just have tons of room to work with as it's a huge universe and what makes it interesting is the individual stories they can tell, while there is a rich lore behind everything. The latest codex books for the game seem to have been expanding most of the lore also, while some will say they are changing it at times.... I dunno.

The story only moves forward usually during any major table top game releases, but even then the story is also just a never ending cycle in a ways. Basically the same stuff has been going on for over 10k years. They just have tons of room to work with as it's a huge universe and what makes it interesting is the individual stories they can tell, while there is a rich lore behind everything. The latest codex books for the game seem to have been expanding most of the lore also, while some will say they are changing it at times.... I dunno.

Problem is all of the most recent events have all been crammed in to the very tail end of the 41st millennium to the point that it's seems a little ridiculous that so much is happening at the same time. It's like GW are afraid that moving into the year 41,000 will invalidate 40k's name. They'll have to push on eventually though. Next time they want to do a big event they can't have another waaagh/hive fleet/black crusade happen at the same time as the previous one.

Spoilers: The conclusion of the 40k story line is Necrons vs. the heat death of the universe. Necrons win.

I chuckled

As a space wolves player, I've found myself unwilling to paint my wolves the baby blue that GW seems to think they need to be. I, on the other hand, paint mine as they appear on the battleforce box. Much darker shade of gray.

Problem is all of the most recent events have all been crammed in to the very tail end of the 41st millennium to the point that it's seems a little ridiculous that so much is happening at the same time. It's like GW are afraid that moving into the year 41,000 will invalidate 40k's name. They'll have to push on eventually though. Next time they want to do a big event they can't have another waaagh/hive fleet/black crusade happen at the same time as the previous one.

They kind of have painted themselves into a corner with the story as it can only go so many ways. It's a big universe so they can cram in alot, but they should just eventually move on even if when they do, it's a tiny movement.

As a space wolves player, I've found myself unwilling to paint my wolves the baby blue that GW seems to think they need to be. I, on the other hand, paint mine as they appear on the battleforce box. Much darker shade of gray.

Isn't the 13th company supposed to be gray?

rukland

Sounds like how I refuse to paint my Dark Angels anything other then pre-heresy colors. I don't really mind the green, but since I am running most nights a Deathwing list I can't stand the idea of having white models everywhere.

Sounds like how I refuse to paint my Dark Angels anything other then pre-heresy colors. I don't really mind the green, but since I am running most nights a Deathwing list I can't stand the idea of having white models everywhere.

They're still nowhere near ready, but here's a couple crappy pics of where I'm at right now:

SANY0063.jpg

SANY0064.jpg

so at GAMA it was revealed that Confrontation is going to be coming back again. Metal unpainted figs of the glorious old style once again, and rules to be based on 3.5 system with revisions. Loved 3.5 and glad to see the figs return

I'm too lazy to rehost and put all the pics up here, but you can see the new Warhammer: Empire releases at this site. On an aesthetic level I'm not sold on them yet but on a technical level GW is still knocking it out of the park.

GW does keep getting better and better with their models, I just would like them to do a complete stop and rehaul of their game rules and army revisions. Locally the GW gaming community here in South Florida has gone to crap. The solid WFB community completely died with the last edition of Fantasy. I just don't think GW's patching of their games and army books can last forever in light ofso much better handled competition. They still hold strong because of 40k's big sales lead, but wondering if we will see an eventual fall like we have seen with DnD against Pathfinder in the RPG world.

The new Empire kits are pretty nice. I never much cared for Empire, but they're looking more interesting these days. Personally I'm waiting to see what the eventual new Wood Elf army is like before I decide to get back into WHFB.

Anyone gonna have a go at the new citadel paints when they're out? I've ordered one of the starter sets to give them a go.

The new Empire kits are pretty nice. I never much cared for Empire, but they're looking more interesting these days. Personally I'm waiting to see what the eventual new Wood Elf army is like before I decide to get back into WHFB.

Anyone gonna have a go at the new citadel paints when they're out? I've ordered one of the starter sets to give them a go.

I'll probably pick up boltgun metal just because it's one of the few GW paints I still liked to pick up.

Also see if they got a new replacement or something for Chestnut ink.... greatest wash ever and no idea why the got rid of it. Maybe they brought it back or something similar.

There's a game & comic shop in my area that keeps a healthy gaming supply of the GW models/paints/supplies (as well as the other non-GW games) and they do 40k every Sunday. Looks like I officially have my motivation to finish my Space Wolves now that there's folks in my area to play!

i'm definitely in your camp. love the lore, love the (video)games, but have zero desire to play the tabletop original. it would be cool owning some minis though. i was thinking about buying a pre-painted Blood Angels squad; i really dig their backstory.

i'm about 2/3 through the second book of the initial horus heresy trilogy, and it's been a really great read so far. really expands on the 40k universe in ways most of the games don't seem to touch on very much (like what do non-Astartes people do and what happens between the bloodshed, etc), i would highly recommend reading them if you're a lore fan.

anyway...yeah. thats my contribution.

oh, and the ultramarines movie isn't terrible.

I started out as a "Book Reader Only" status when it came down to the 40k universe. Over time it naturally expanded into the tabletop area of things.

BTW, I got my 1st Finecast today.

I broke it as well.

FML.

Thank god for superglue.

That sucks, Diatribe. You might want to consider pinning in that situation, but I guess the resin is so light that it isn't necessary. I was assembling an Eldar revenant recently and managed to completely shatter a shoulder mount for one of the engines. If I was a less confident modeller I think I would have cried. It now has so much brass in it I think it could start its own colliery band.

Finecast should be fairly easy to repair. The resin seems to stick fairly well. Pinning is more a metal thing and other than to keep models on bases I think we'll see less of it on GW products in the future. For all its flaws, finecast has some pretty big plusses too.

I bought a box of Tankbustaz in finecast yesterday. Five Orks and two bomb squigs. They look pretty good, can't see any real areas of work aside from cleaning flash off them.

Went back down to my local gaming shop & picked up a couple pots of Chaos Black as well as the latest White Dwarf (holy shit, GW wants me to relearn all the damn paint names now. ugh) and 2 boxes of dice (still no red yet. ugh)

He'll be getting in his next shipment this coming week, so I'll be able to grab my Orc Codex to start getting ideas on how to build my 2nd army (going full Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! in size).

Top Bottom