• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Finecast stuff is nice, but since it's GW it gets lot of flack, and well also because their prices are ridiculous. Main point of going to resin is to cut costs, and the figs should not cost you 20+ for a single fig when it is Resin. Even forgeworld prices for their resin stuff comes out better. But along with the high price, GW's finecast has a higher than average defect rate compared to what the rest of the industry has been putting out. GW being so big and charging so much should be putting out some of the most amazing figs in resin ever, but they aren't. They built up alot of bad taste in fans mouths over the Finecast stuff.

We've now reached the ridiculous situation where, for overseas buyers, some FW models are cheaper than their GW counterparts.

Anyway, we've all been crying out for them, and today FW delivered. Space Sharks jetbikes!

space20shark202.jpg

I think they missed a trick by leaving the frickin' laser beams off their frickin' heads, but no doubt they can include them in an upgrade pack.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Went back down to my local gaming shop & picked up a couple pots of Chaos Black as well as the latest White Dwarf (holy shit, GW wants me to relearn all the damn paint names now. ugh) and 2 boxes of dice (still no red yet. ugh)

Paint conversion chart

It is a pain that they changed all the names, on the positive side they have doubled the range and now include drybrushing and textured paint.

so, a question has been nagging me since i kind of dove head-long into the 40K lore: is there any explanation as to why in the 10,000 years between the horus heresy and the present time of 40K that imperial technology has not advanced whatsoever?

i can suspend disbelief in fantasy settings usually, but given the sheer scale of the timeline in this situation, it's a little bit strange. i'm reading about events in the 31st millenium referencing tech/weaponry that appear to be unchanged in games that take place in the 41st.

maybe it's just something they've never touched on, and it's not ruining anything for me per se; just kind of a head-scratcher.

f0rk

so, a question has been nagging me since i kind of dove head-long into the 40K lore: is there any explanation as to why in the 10,000 years between the horus heresy and the present time of 40K that imperial technology has not advanced whatsoever?

Because in the grim darkness of the 41st millenium there is only war.

i can suspend disbelief in fantasy settings usually, but given the sheer scale of the timeline in this situation, it's a little bit strange. i'm reading about events in the 31st millenium referencing tech/weaponry that appear to be unchanged in games that take place in the 41st.

maybe it's just something they've never touched on, and it's not ruining anything for me per se; just kind of a head-scratcher.

The universe has gone through various dark ages where lot of knowledge and technology was lost. Much of the technology at the time of Horus Heresy and during 40k, is really unknown. The study of technology is treated like a religion and also highly restricted as there is fear of it leading to more chaotic influences one can say? As such the tech cults and such are in charge of the Imperium's technology but even when they do possess great tech, they often truly do not understand how it works, or how to recreate it if it's lost.

Terminator Armor for example is a lost technology. They can repair damaged armor to an extent, but if it's too badly destroyed, then the armor is lost and can not be replaced as the full process to create a suit of Terminator armor is long forgotten. The Imperium has certain templates of technology left over from the past which they can use to replicate things, but again without these templates, often there is components which are so advanced, that they don't understand it. But their machinery may be able to spit out some.

You also have the whole machine spirit stuff that they believe in where machines are revered almost religiously and it kinda shows the backwards thinking they have towards their tech. There is alot of fear of AI advancements as well, which is why much of the universe uses manual labor, or very simple computer systems. Tech advances very slowly when it does, often being simply improving on current designs or modifying things to the extent of their knowledge.

I think the terminator armour thing has been retconned now and they can create new suits but it takes a while and they're probably worse than original suits. Regular power armour is a good example as the most advanced is considered to be the MkIV. We're up to MkVIII now and it's still considered inferior as they just can't recreate some parts.

The fear of AIs came about during The Dark Age of Technology when there was some pretty advanced ones kicking about. Eventually they turned on humanity and no advanced AIs have been allowed since.

Because of secrecy and rivalries within the Adeptus Mechanicus, it's entirely possible for more technology to be lost in the destruction of a forge world because they were unwilling to share the information on how to create whatever it was they produced. It's possible all the knowledge is stored on Mars, but finding it would be the problem.

thanks for the answers guys. makes enough sense and in a way mirrors the plot of a canticle for leibowitz (reverence for dead/ancient technology that is unknowable and almost entirety irreplaceable) one of my favorite sci-fi novels.

is there any 40K literature (aside from wikis) that touches on the tech side of things; basically what you've all described above? i understand there's a book in the horus series about the mechanicum. might check that one out after the initial trilogy.

thanks for the answers guys. makes enough sense and in a way mirrors the plot of a canticle for leibowitz (reverence for dead/ancient technology that is unknowable and almost entirety irreplaceable) one of my favorite sci-fi novels.

is there any 40K literature (aside from wikis) that touches on the tech side of things; basically what you've all described above? i understand there's a book in the horus series about the mechanicum. might check that one out after the initial trilogy.

There's several books that has Mechanicus in it to varying degrees more than just a passing glance, but little in the way of main story characters. There's a Horus Heresy novel by Graham McNeil: "Mechanicum" and another book coming out this year by him as well call "Priests of Mars" (I believe that's the title).

But all in all, just pick up Space Marine novels and go to town. They're good reads.

The fluff bible is a good read, though I imagine many would say parts don't fit in with the accepted storyline. Mostly though, it is on the money, and a long good read. It's on my PC somewhere.

Picked up my 1st Razorback earlier today. Got it all primed on the sprues and sat down to update paint my Space Wolves army while it the Razorback dried. Tomorrow should be interesting with the assembly.

Leunam

I've got a handful of Vallejo model and game color paints. They require a good shake more often than GW paints but I've found better coverage (depends on the paint) and the squirt bottle design far outweighs that one downside.

Kwixotik

So I don't know anything about playing 40k, but I'm very attracted to the painting aspect of it. I'd like to start with a squad of Ultramarines or something for practice. Could anyone help me out with what exactly I need to get started?

Barmaley

Neo Member
So I don't know anything about playing 40k, but I'm very attracted to the painting aspect of it. I'd like to start with a squad of Ultramarines or something for practice. Could anyone help me out with what exactly I need to get started?

You could get the small paints set from gw. This.
It gives you 8 paints, a brush and 5 marine models to test the paints on. I bought the old paints set about 3 weeks before gw announced that they are remaking their entire paints line, which rendered my painting set almost useless. Lucky me. I guess i could always pick up the art of body/finger painting.
If you intend to pick up Assault on Black Reach, the 40k starter set, I'd advise you to wait. In about 4-5 months the sixth edition of wh40k will come out and with it a new starter set.

Meanwhile, I bought the WHFB set, Island Of Blood, since it's pretty recent, not even 2 years old (a new editions comes out every 4 years, both for 40k and warhammer fantasy).
So far I've only managed to assemble the armies and read most of the rulebook. I'll try some games against myself before I start bothering people to play it with me. And after that, sometime in the far future, after the new gw paints line has proven itself, I'll maybe pick up a couple of new paints and try painting the damn thing.

I'm not sure if they still sell it but there used to be a painter starting set with Ultramarines. If you can get that you can use that to start painting. Unfortunately, given that the new edition is set to come out this summer they are apparently making Dark Angels the new painting starter kit so the old ones may be hard to find.

On that subject as a person who started out with DA I'm very excited about this turn of events since the chapter that has been in the starter kit has always been the chapter GW has focused on. Hopefully they'll show off the unique aspects of the chapter like the various -Wings and the penchant for more advanced tech.

deim0s

Picked up my 1st Razorback earlier today. Got it all primed on the sprues and sat down to update paint my Space Wolves army while it the Razorback dried. Tomorrow should be interesting with the assembly.

Was wondering why this preference goes on? Would you be gluing the paint together rather than the plastic, thus making a weaker bond?

Welp, the glue probably eats away the paint, i dunno - might try it sometime on my rifledreads.

Was wondering why this preference goes on? Would you be gluing the paint together rather than the plastic, thus making a weaker bond?

Welp, the glue probably eats away the paint, i dunno - might try it sometime on my rifledreads.

Spraying flat black primer is fine from everything I've seen so far. Now, painting them on the sprue is something else. I'm no longer fully assembling the models anymore and then painting them. I'll get them in various stages of assembly and will put them as together as I can, as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything I need to paint.

Necron 2nd wave is out in the wild. Liking the Spyders, Stalkers, Szeras, and wraiths but the tomb blades just feel off. And no hint of the -scyths so looks like they may have been delayed to the rumored giant flier release for sixth ed.

Necron 2nd wave is out in the wild. Liking the Spyders, Stalkers, Szeras, and wraiths but the tomb blades just feel off. And no hint of the -scyths so looks like they may have been delayed to the rumored giant flier release for sixth ed.

With you on the blades, but I think the wraiths are quite a step up from the originals. Shame they went with finecast for the upgrade kits, but I guess that was the cheapest option for them and they have to leave something to remake come the next codex.

The new Necrons look great. They have really livened up the look of what used to be such a boring army.

FFG finally put up previews of the final product for the X-Wing Star Wars miniature game: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=174&enmi=X-Wing

They are prepainted figs but they shouldn't be too bad. Game is similar in concept to the Wings of War series of games, focused on fighter combat. I hope theres a naval game eventually but this seems like it could be fun. Cards are used to represent the different pilots you can put into a fighter, as well as unique abilities/equipment. Individual expansions give you a new fighter mini and new cards. Retail is 14.99 a fig but it should be around 10 from online retailers. Not big difference from te Wings of War single fix expansions.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
With you on the blades, but I think the wraiths are quite a step up from the originals. Shame they went with finecast for the upgrade kits, but I guess that was the cheapest option for them and they have to leave something to remake come the next codex.

Szeras and the wraiths look great. I am not to keen on the tomb blades or the stalker though. £20 for a single spider and £16 for three scarab bases is ridiculous, I am glad I don't play scarab farm necrons.

Rumors of it being the 2nd 6th ed codex release

Latest line of thought on the release order is Chaos, Dark Angels, and then a toss-up between Tau and Eldar. I'm confident those will be the next 4 armies to come but the order could easily be changed around. I hope the 6th ed codices won't be hardback. It comes across as just an extra way to milk more money from us.

I collect Tau so naturally I want the update, but yes. Make it a proper 6th edition army please. And whilst they're at it, hardback Codexes in full colour like the WHFB army books please. Personally I love the hardback books. So gorgeous. But I'm a book whore.

And whilst they're at it, Wood Elf update please.

Apparently there's some kind of larger treeman model done and ready to go, but other than that no one at GW HQ has a clue with what to do with them. I wouldn't expect another dark eldar situation, but I doubt there will be an update for a long time.

I collect Tau so naturally I want the update, but yes. Make it a proper 6th edition army please. And whilst they're at it, hardback Codexes in full colour like the WHFB army books please. Personally I love the hardback books. So gorgeous. But I'm a book whore.

I play Tau and I am on board for a hardback release of a rules book for 6th edition. But what the bloody hell with Wood Elves? As a Bretonnian player I am going to have to kindly say you wait your damn turn.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Bretonnians deserve an update but they don't really need one. They are pretty damn balanced with a nice selection of potential army builds and a gorgeous (and complete IIRC) set of models. I wish they would get an update but it really isn't necessary.

Bretonnians deserve an update but they don't really need one. They are pretty damn balanced with a nice selection of potential army builds and a gorgeous (and complete IIRC) set of models. I wish they would get an update but it really isn't necessary.

My greed beats out need. But honestly I am all for Wood Elves getting a new book. They need one so badly it isn't even funny anymore. They seem to be the bastard child of GW for what seems like a good decade.

I'm pretty confident Brets will get their new book first. There are quite a few models in their range that could do with an update whilst most of the wood elves are pretty much perfect already. GW is all about trying to shift models and that's hard to do if people are already happy with the old ones. Those poor woodies sure did get a serious spanking with the nerf paddle when 8th ed came about though.

Thing is I used to be a Wood Elf player in the 90s, and have only just taken WHFB back up. I've gone for Wood Elves partly from nostalgia and just because I like the lore and style of the army. It's only the gameplay aspects of them that seem to need updating, most of the miniatures are great.

I really like the models for Infinity, but having now handled them myself I find them a bit too fiddly and fragile for me to work with. Did you make those bases yourself, Ottoman, or did you buy them? They suit the models perfectly.

Anyway, who asked for more fliers in their 40k?

Not sold on the storm budgie just yet but the necron and ork fliers look great.

I really like the models for Infinity, but having now handled them myself I find them a bit too fiddly and fragile for me to work with. Did you make those bases yourself, Ottoman, or did you buy them? They suit the models perfectly.
Yeah.. lots of pinning involved, but I love them to bits. I don't even have anyone I know that plays but I keep buying them because they are pretty.

I make the bases using greenstuff, copied the patterns from MicroArt studio ones. The new ones I made I took from mosaic patterns in art. I actually took the mosaic patterns and even the colour scheme from a tumbl of orientalist paintings that I saw on Gaf.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
The Storm Talon looks terrible. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed that.

At least the Ork and Necron models look great.

Yeah.. lots of pinning involved, but I love them to bits. I don't even have anyone I know that plays but I keep buying them because they are pretty.

I make the bases using greenstuff, copied the patterns from MicroArt studio ones. The new ones I made I took from mosaic patterns in art. I actually took the mosaic patterns and even the colour scheme from a tumbl of orientalist paintings that I saw on Gaf.

Nicely done! I might have to 'borrow' that for when I'm basing some future models. I really would like some Infinity models for display, and funnily enough it was the Haqqislam ones I like the most, but anything needing 0.5mm pins makes me nervous. Rules for the game look interesting but possibly open to abuse. My first thought was to get a couple of ass-kickers and then a load of chaff to give them lots of action points, but I suspect that's not in the spirit of the game.

Sorry to keep going back to GW everyone, but what the hell at the new price increases? How does GW think they can keep pulling in new customers? It's okay for games Warmachine and Infinity since they need so few models, but 40k's days of being a skirmish game are long gone.

Nicely done! I might have to 'borrow' that for when I'm basing some future models. I really would like some Infinity models for display, and funnily enough it was the Haqqislam ones I like the most, but anything needing 0.5mm pins makes me nervous. Rules for the game look interesting but possibly open to abuse. My first thought was to get a couple of ass-kickers and then a load of chaff to give them lots of action points, but I suspect that's not in the spirit of the game.
I haven't played to be able to say lol. The rules are pretty decent by all accounts as far as I can tell though. The models were fiddly but not to bad. Malifaux's are worse!

Sorry to keep going back to GW everyone, but what the hell at the new price increases? How does GW think they can keep pulling in new customers? It's okay for games Warmachine and Infinity since they need so few models, but 40k's days of being a skirmish game are long gone.

Are you in Aus? It is prohibitive here. No one I know has started a new army in a while and everyone is moving to Dystopian Wars, Malifaux, Warmahordes or Infinity... or sticking with their old army and making do.

Contrary to a few pages back where I said I preferred 40K, I recently started collecting Wood Elves and now I prefer fantasy. I'm such a butterfly. Any fantasy stuff in the new WD?

Are you in Aus? It is prohibitive here. No one I know has started a new army in a while and everyone is moving to Dystopian Wars, Malifaux, Warmahordes or Infinity... or sticking with their old army and making do.

Ouch, you have my sympathies. It's going to be interesting to see what the sales figures are for Australia when the financials are released in a few months. I'm in the UK so I don't have half as much reason to complain, but I can't help but have a whinge anyway :p

For UK gamers, I use the following sites for my GW stuff:

Totalwargamer.co.uk - 25% off everything on weekends, has been like that most of the year. Can be slow though, I guess the 25% offer really brings lots of orders in.

Giftsforgeeks.org.uk - Not the cheapest of the discount stores, but the best service I've found. Usually get the order within a couple of days.

Maelstromgames.co.uk - Good pricing but not as good as Total Wargamer's weekends. Not much in stock at a given time, but you do get cashback at a rate of 1p per £1 spent. I used £1.76 of cashback to order a unit of skeleton warriors for less than £15.

waylandgames.co.uk - Like Maelstrom, but more in stock. Still a little slow to ship stuff out.

I tend to switch between the top two based on whether I want price or speed. Any good ones I've missed?

Darksphere is my internet shop of choice, but that's mostly because I can pop in to their shop when I'm visiting London and pick up my order in person to save postage. They also have 25% off.

Top Bottom