• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

Timeaisis

Oh, well I didn't realize you can move more than one character per turn. I guess I thought the timer was only for the one selected.

I dig the mechanics, I'm just confused as to how I'm supposed to "pincher" the enemy if I can only move one unit a time and the enemy can constantly flee...as happened in a few battles. I was victorious, bit it was a little tedious.

I suppose I didn't read the tutorial clearly enough...Sucks I can't go back and play it again.

Clearly I'm unfamiliar with mobile puzzle games. Apologies for the questions.

Noaloha

I guess I like this game...?

Two things:
1. Why can I only live one unit per turn? I don't get the point of the timer if that's the case.
2. Why can I only attack when I have two units on either side of an enemy.

The game seems fun, but the battle mechanics are poorly explained.

It seems like you've missed the key gameplay component for this type of game.

When you drag your 'moving' piece over another friendly unit you will displace it -- that piece will be shifted one square back, to where your moving piece was prior to entering the other unit's grid position.

See this Puzzle&Dragons gif for reference. Note how the orb-moving system is very, very different to the 'traditional' match-3 type (Bejewelled/CandyCrush/whatever). The possibility space of 'solutions' for any given board is enormous because of the movement mechanic.
RingedFreshFrogmouth.gif

Theoretically, you can reposition your entire team this way - of course, the enemy's position and the game's time limit force you to compromise/strategise within that theoretical.

EDIT: Sorry, me slow. Still got sluggish bed-brains.

AwShucks

Oh, well I didn't realize you can move more than one character per turn. I guess I thought the timer was only for the one selected.

I dig the mechanics, I'm just confused as to how I'm supposed to "pincher" the enemy if I can only move one unit a time and the enemy can constantly flee...as happened in a few battles. I was victorious, bit it was a little tedious.

I suppose I didn't read the tutorial clearly enough...Sucks I can't go back and play it again.

Well shit. I didn't think I could move more than one and have been doing fine regardless...but that makes things so much easier.

Edit: nvm I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it but once you stop moving the first character it triggers the turn.

Anfang

Well shit. I didn't think I could move more than one and have been doing fine regardless...but that makes things so much easier.

Edit: nvm I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it but once you stop moving the first character it triggers the turn.

Keep hold of one of your units then drag it through another, whichever direction you came from, the unit will move one space that way. Repeat as necessary until time runs out.

Wazzy

Banned
Phew finally beat the spider boss. I forgot that if a spiderbot is blocking, I can just attack it and the boss together by blocking them in together.

AwShucks

Keep hold of one of your units then drag it through another, whichever direction you came from, the unit will move one space that way. Repeat as necessary until time runs out.

Ah yeah that's what I've been doing. Love that mechanic and makes the strategy all the more important.

You don't have to apologise :p

Just practice it until you get the hang of it

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I can already feel the grind for the last item of each new job requirement.

Still having fun though, wish the game would give me characters above B. Just got a second healer and I'm like "BLEH", I'd rather get something I don't have yet like an archer or ice/dark dudes.

So far no, but there may be some events that require you to pay with coins in the future. But gold is fairly abundant so I would face it up for the job unlocks at most.

This game has leveled up my ability to draw spirals with my finger :p
I actually find this game easier on my phone's smaller screen thank my tablet's because I'm so much faster on a smaller screen lol

If anyone wants to know it's possible to get B ranked units from coin recruitments so that's neat. I got one of the boss monsters. I wonder if it's possible to recruit a boss by battle as well.

Also I just wanted to say that Kuscah is a god send, hes great at soaking up terrain traps since he heals for so much. I can just send him into pitfalls and lava and he'll heal himself completely if I use him in an attack.

Visceir

Got an A class support character named R'zonand today, he can inflict and cure confuse. Don't really have any use for him in my party right now.

Could really use a good sword/spear type damage dealer or perhaps another mage.

If anyone wants to know it's possible to get B ranked units from coin recruitments so that's neat. I got one of the boss monsters. I wonder if it's possible to recruit a boss by battle as well.

Also I just wanted to say that Kuscah is a god send, hes great at soaking up terrain traps since he heals for so much. I can just send him into pitfalls and lava and he'll heal himself completely if I use him in an attack.

I got a boss from a battle. Can't remember what chapter but he's a B class called Ba'gunar.

Edit: Nevermind. Just checked the wiki and he joins your party at the end of chapter 4 regardless.

polg

Noob question: should I keep spending money at the tavern on new characters all the time? I can't add any jobs yet.

Really enjoying this game :)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I belive I got the turtle boss by beating him.

anaron

Oh man, this this this

I'd be long gone without the dude

Visceir

Oh man, this this this

I'd be long gone without the dude

Another B rank character kicking ass.

I gave Metal Zone 2 a try -- It takes 15 stamina and the enemies flee after just one turn. Seems nearly impossible to catch them now, maybe I should invest in that character who can confuse afterall.

I could rake up 100 000+ exp easily in Metal Zone 1, Metal Zone 2 seems to average around 50 000 :(

Datschge

Slick game, am at chapter 5 stage 4 with 6 chars around level 20. Never bothered rerolling (played before reading thread) so have no char higher than class A. Game doesn't feel all too hard or unfair so far, the battles and the strategic possibilities are exciting thanks to the rising difficulty. Only issue to me is that a stage with up to 5 battles can take quite some time. Using metal zone whenever possible to up all chars.

I'm surprised in this thread nobody name-dropped the dude whose game this essentially is: Koji Ono. Being the director/sole programmer on this his experience in visual programming (menu/sfx program on Chrono Cross, rendering engine program on Dirge of Cerberus and FF13) shines through all the polish. Loving all the fast loading and particle effects. ^^

While download starter is a neat idea, I think they are already overwhelming themselves with the success. =D

Noob question: should I keep spending money at the tavern on new characters all the time? I can't add any jobs yet.

Really enjoying this game :)

I recruited a few but they aren't great. I'm just saving all of my gold now because adding jobs is going to be expemsive.

anaron

Slick game, am at chapter 5 stage 4 with 6 chars around level 20. Never bothered rerolling (played before reading thread) so have no char higher than class A. Game doesn't feel all too hard or unfair so far, the battles and the strategic possibilities are exciting thanks to the rising difficulty. Only issue to me is that a stage with up to 5 battles can take quite some time. Using metal zone whenever possible to up all chars.

I'm surprised in this thread nobody name-dropped the dude whose game this essentially is: Koji Ono. Being the director/sole programmer on this his experience in visual programming (menu/sfx program on Chrono Cross, rendering engine program on Dirge of Cerberus and FF13) shines through all the polish. Loving all the fast loading and particle effects. ^^

While download starter is a neat idea, I think they are already overwhelming themselves with the success. =D
Koji definitely deserves more love. The polish is fantastic

so if you dont have the energy for metal area and its timer about to run out, you can just leave it at the battle screen until you have the energy to go in it and it doesnt go away. even if metal area is closed for the day?

good to know >:)

anaron

I wonder what's the possibility of an offline mode? That seems to be a pretty consistent complaint I've noticed in the general responses in addition to thinking the game is fun.

Longsword

I wonder what's the possibility of an offline mode? That seems to be a pretty consistent complaint I've noticed in the general responses in addition to thinking the game is fun.

Problem would be hackers. Only way to avoid cheating is that the game actually runs on serverside and is only simulated on the client-side. Not much Mistwalker can do about that.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Would probably lead to rampant hacking and lead to future unfair vs mode.

Datschge

Someone should convince Sakaguchi to also offer the game as paid offline game without all the F2P trickery. Make it another download starter milestone.

Longsword

Someone should convince Sakaguchi to also offer the game as paid offline game without all the F2P trickery. Make it another download starter milestone.

It would have to be a completely separate game, as hackers would ruin the Multi-player. They would also get to the end of the game immediately past the rest of us, spoiling all the boss fights.

Datschge

It would have to be a completely separate game, as hackers would ruin the Multi-player. They would also get to the end of the game immediately past the rest of us, spoiling all the boss fights.
Of course it would be a different game if there is no online, F2P is forced online for a reason, duh. And there isn't any multiplayer even in the current online version, not sure why you want to discuss what's not even there yet.

Longsword

Of course it would be a different game if there is no online, F2P is forced online for a reason, duh. And there isn't any multiplayer even in the current online version, not sure why you want to discuss what's not even there yet.

Well, seeing that the game is at 390K downloads after couple of days and the MP work starts at 700K, I think it is very likely to happen. And I do not want to get killed by a hacker with an unfair advantage.

But if Mistwalker does an offline version, all good as far as I am concerned. Personally, I doubt they will do it, I am not sure if they can spare resources to do it -running a live game can be very time-consuming.

Datschge

Well, seeing that the game is at 390K downloads after couple of days and the MP work starts at 700K, I think it is very likely to happen. And I do not want to get killed by a hacker.

But if Mistwalker does an offline version, all good as far as I am concerned. Personally, I doubt they will do it, I am not sure if they can spare resources to do it -running a live game can be very time-consuming.
Yes, at the current rate even the completely different console version (the 2 mil goal) is likely to happen.

Still don't know where you got the idea talking about unrelated hypothetical in response to me suggesting asking Sakiguchi to offer an offline version as a goal when others implied there is high demand for such.

kulapik

Why would you put Hawk in the Download Starter thing and then say that the characters created by Suzuki won't even be from Nanatsu no Taizai? :(

meow

Ugh, I rerolled my Eileen/Nakupi team because I didn't like Eileen. I passed on a Daiana/Metupi pair AND a Gatz/Zafitte pair. I'm on Ch 4 now and it seems like any of those teams would be better than my current Samatha/Kana team but there's no way I want to spend another few hours rerolling. Mildly annoyed with myself, the rarity ranking is so not worth it so far.

i hope these brand new characters are obtainable with gold and not energy >_> otherwise the potential "cost" of the game will skyrocket

i got R'zonand the rose red. he is a status ailment healer. He hits like a child and tanks like one. so far i feel like he's taking up a valuable slot atm, but he has some useful status ailment skills down the line. he seems to level up hella slow though, and the most useful of his skills dont come till his 2nd job.

*sigh* they need to rework the rng for characters. i cant believe i got same characters twice like 4 times in a row

suzu

I rerolled a ton of times, but I haven't seen an SS character even once. So I settled for an S mage (Pupropu) and A mage (A'merpact)... which is working pretty well so far.

Longsword

Ugh, I rerolled my Eileen/Nakupi team because I didn't like Eileen. I passed on a Daiana/Metupi pair AND a Gatz/Zafitte pair. I'm on Ch 4 now and it seems like any of those teams would be better than my current Samatha/Kana team but there's no way I want to spend another few hours rerolling. Mildly annoyed with myself, the rarity ranking is so not worth it so far.

Yup, feels to me that thus far rarity =/= power. I think overall Team Composition is more important than how many SS characters you have. Endgame may change my opinion, of course.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My gf didnt even care about rerolling and got a SS right from her first try.

... I guess the strategy is just... not to fucking care :p

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
After that shitty surf game from Mistwalker i'm pleasantly surprised at how good this game is. Can't wait for the OST free download goal!

Still trying to figure out how the moving works so you can move two people in one turn.

Longsword

After that shitty surf game from Mistwalker i'm pleasantly surprised at how good this game is. Can't wait for the OST free download goal!

Still trying to figure out how the moving works so you can move two people in one turn.

You "Push" them around. Grab one character with your finger, move it straight into one of your allies to push them in the opposing direction by 1 square, anfd repeat. Never lift your finger in between moves. You can move as many characters per turn as you wish, but the time to move is very limited.

jwhit28

When you move through a party member they move one square in the direction you came from. If you move from left to right and pass through a party member the party member will move one square to the left.

Top Bottom