• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

jwhit28

I guess. My drawing skill is pretty good after having played Puzzle and Dragons for so long.

Pop quiz: What's the best move here:
Assume A's are your units, and X's are enemies, and we're treating all A's as identical units.

Code:
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. A A A A .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
A . X X A .

e58UScp.png

you guys are so symmetrical >:C, mine has less chance of screwups and less time!

Hopefully more people will post these kind of problem threads. I come from a background of playing chess and go competitively, and I do these kind of problems all the time. Fun way to pass the time, and good practice. Next time I post one I'll try to make a screenshot though.

I think a good metric for "best solution" would be:

1) If solution A results in better weapon dominance over solution B, solution A always wins.
2) If two solutions A and B yield identical weapon dominance properties, then the winning solution is the one with the shortest path.

There's probably ways to improve this metric to take into account number of enemies attacked, etc. At some point it's going to be subjective though.

Hopefully more people will post these kind of problem threads. I come from a background of playing chess and go competitively, and I do these kind of problems all the time. Fun way to pass the time, and good practice. Next time I post one I'll try to make a screenshot though.

1) If solution A results in better weapon dominance over solution B, solution A always wins.
2) If two solutions A and B yield identical weapon dominance properties, then the winning solution is the one with the shortest path.

There's probably ways to improve this metric to take into account number of enemies attacked, etc. At some point it's going to be subjective though.

yeah, i wonder if we should start some sort of strategy or spacing guides it would be sexy! maybe we can make a gaf standard grid?

i hate when the game starts me out with all characters at the bottom of the map horizontal when enemies are on the top cells!

also depends on AOE mages! so many possible solutions

I guess. My drawing skill is pretty good after having played Puzzle and Dragons for so long.

Assume A's are your units, and X's are enemies, and we're treating all A's as identical units.

Code:
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. A [B]A[/B] A A .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
A . X X A .
The simplest (and most parsimonious) arrangement should be the following:

Code:
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. A . . A .
. . . . A .
. . . . . .
A [B]A[/B] X X A .
The bolded A would move down, right, right, up, and left to rearrange the other units, and then move into the flank position for the attack.

I personally like the symmetrical solution more because there are times the next wave comes and you already flank. Also extreme cases where the column of enemies divide up the board in two so you cant pincer top to bottom, i had on wave where all my units were on one side so it made it annoying to wait till they attack.

Hige

Code:
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. A A A A .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
A . X X A .
I don't know about "best," but I'd use the second from the left A (top row) to make the two on the right vertical and then drop it next to the leftmost enemy. 10 moves.
should look like this:

The Bolded A is your moving piece. come up below Italized A and then go horizontally to the underlined As.

do loop de loops on all 3 in the direction they face and they will get in a straight vertical line up to the empty space between the 1st lower A and the first X.
then you have the choice of putting your Bolded A in there, or going one final loop de loop to put the italized A in the attack position with the underlined As lined up vertically on top for the links
Well that solution is overpowered because you ended up with 7 units. :p Sometimes doing too many loops takes too long. I don't feel like the unit movement is as smooth as Puzzle & Dragons.

Uthred

Well that solution is overpowered because you ended up with 7 units. :p Sometimes doing too many loops takes too long. I don't feel like the unit movement is as smooth as Puzzle & Dragons.

PAD rewards accurate but as quick as possible movement. I find if you move a bit slower in this it works better, if you move too fast sometimes it seems to jump or skip (could just be wonky fingers).

Hige

I feel like I have to be very deliberate when making loops. It feels like I have to be more "square" rather than making smooth circles like in PAD. It might have to do with the size of the grid as well, but I'm more prone to errors if I try to move as fast as I do in PAD.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I suggest people to hold up on material farming until Hunting Zone 2 (after Ch 9).

The drop rate in the first one can be atrocious.

Just wait up a bit post Ch 16. You'll start to cry, even with some SS.

I kinda like the easy and slow start up.
Each Chapter introduce a new mechanic (confuse, sleep, rocks, snipers, spiked traps, guard shields, etc), which then they'll throw at you all at the same time.
I already gave up at Ch 16.

Uthred

I feel like I have to be very deliberate when making loops. It feels like I have to be more "square" rather than making smooth circles like in PAD. It might have to do with the size of the grid as well, but I'm more prone to errors if I try to move as fast as I do in PAD.

I wonder is it beacuse you cant move diagonally in this, throwing off those PAD honed reflexes.

I wonder is it beacuse you cant move diagonally in this, throwing off those PAD honed reflexes.

Also because in PAD you're doing a displacement at every step, so there's more visual feedback. Another thing is that enemies cant be displaced, so touching an enemy screws up the fluidity of the movement.

im still on ch 5 (despite how active i post here), when do i start getting more consistent items for 2nd jobs other than story ones

im still on ch 5 (despite how active i post here), when do i start getting more consistent items for 2nd jobs other than story ones

Chapter 9 i am 1 orichalcum away from promoting yukken from the pudding hunt 2. By this chapter I have been seeing drops for the 2nd job.

Panda Rin

never have I been tempted to buy something in a f2p game until now...

Game is pretty great so far. Something new to see every chapter and the way characters level up is rewarding since it does take some amount of effort and time to get those job upgrades. Finishing up chapter 7 right now and haven't hit a roadblock yet, but I'm excited to see how the later chapters hold up in terms of difficulty.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Slowly getting my new SS healer out of n00bville level wise so I can use it during the actual chapters vs just Metal Zone.

10 items this time even with overpowered team in hunting zone. 9 rings, 1 ore (orichalum).

i made sure to bring full elemental team this time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel like the grid and the idea of being able to slide characters gets in to some people's head.

I feel like people should slow down and make sure they get the safe play(s) in and the sure kills. Feels like some people try and rush to get a crazy setup, and then they fail and don't get anything set up.

I'm usually playing with 2 healers on my team, so my goal in every attack is to make sure there's a healer on each side of the pincer.

Take out 1 monster and keep everyone else as safe as possible of course; monster turns will affect who you target and avoid.

It's basically impossible to get 2 kills in this scenario. Your final move will need to be either sliding into (4,8) or (6,8), but you can't get one into both.

Best move then is probably this:

This way you end up with all 6 people in the attack, and you have a vertical line of 5 from (4,5) to (4,8), so if (5,8) doesn't move on the next turn you can simply move (2,8) over there and get another strong attack.

One weird thing about this game is that I have been able to move and swap on diagonals (even if i have one of characters adjacent) except when an enemy is that adjacent spot. They body block the diagonal even though on open spots you can get there freely without passing through the tile and swapping the adjacent unit. I know it sounds like im saying something funky.

meow

Got enough energy to recruit someone else, really need an archer or elemental, get a rank A sword person. arghhhh my luck

jwhit28

Got enough energy to recruit someone else, really need an archer or elemental, get a rank A sword person. arghhhh my luck

I trying to hold off on rolling again until they let us know how far off the new characters are. If they let us buy upgrade materials though I'll jump all over that.

meow

I trying to hold off on rolling again until they let us know how far off the new characters are. If they let us buy upgrade materials though I'll jump all over that.

I was trying to, too, but pudding zone was getting toooooo annoying.

AwShucks

At this point I'd be more inclined to spend my money on an upgrade material pack rather than energy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow, I don't think that hard about my attack patterns at all. Maybe I should? I just make sure to line up my healer when needed. Well except for the first move or two of a patterned room. When I'm doing a boss (like the chapter 5 boss, which took me like, 15 minutes), I just sort of pick things off as I see fit.

Woo, just got the needed Orihalcum to 2nd job Samantha.

Lucky :<
I've been grinding for orihalcum all day and I managed to get one early this morning but after that I've been getting everything but. I have like 5 of the rare ore for Palpa now lol.
I'm not sure if I should just try to proceed to ch15 and try to find one there or take another shot at the pudding

Visceir

Lucky :<
I've been grinding for orihalcum all day and I managed to get one early this morning but after that I've been getting everything but. I have like 5 of the rare ore for Palpa now lol.
I'm not sure if I should just try to proceed to ch15 and try to find one there or take another shot at the pudding

Pudding zone isn't open right now and won't be until friday(?), so that should make the decision easy.

I got 3 energy for my daily login bonus today. Unfortunately rolled another archer, B rank -- no real use.

Meanwhile I got my second job Zuzu to lvl 15 and he got a skill that does flat out 1000 dmg always. His atk at lvl 15 is also just as high as other character's at lvl 40, crazy.

Some Nobody

Wow, I don't think that hard about my attack patterns at all. Maybe I should? I just make sure to line up my healer when needed. Well except for the first move or two of a patterned room. When I'm doing a boss (like the chapter 5 boss, which took me like, 15 minutes), I just sort of pick things off as I see fit.

Yeah my brain doesn't really work the way it needs to to be optimal in this game. I just try to hit as many characters at once as I can, and chain my healer.

Who is adjacent and who is chaining seems to make quite the difference. If you are attacking a lancer and you have a mage adjacent and chaining into your archer, it seems that an adjacent archer chained into a mage does more damage. So I think it's best if at possible to use someone instead of a healer or mage to be adjacent and use the supporting units in chains. Not only that the adjacent units effect the proc. Skills like Megasword(1), Megashot(1), thunderblade, etc. only seem to proc when the unit attacking is the adjacent initiator (you also notice that their portrait isn't blinking like the chained portraits on the windup of the attack). But some skills proc no matter the distance like the splash damage dark spell from Zerro and aoes like 2nd job Grace's Megashot (area), but attacks like Megashot(area) center around the user, so it can whiff and hit nothing if she is too far away. Not only that but if you have two attack spells, they can both proc, like an easy way to do damage with Grace is set Megashot(1) once you unlock her second job, that when either by chance or Power Circle she procs both Megashot(1) and Megashot(area) ONLY IF she is the attacker, not the chainer, since if she is only part of the chain she does just Megashot(area) and whatever buffs she has.

This was important for when I was farming Pudding Hunt 2 (which had physical resistant enemies) because the adjacent initiators needed to be Amazora and Lizard King who had Flameblade and Thunderblade, while Zero my mage could hit with an element from any range as long as she chained.

anaron

At 580k now - Manabu Kusunoki – New characters

I worked together with Manabu Kusunoki on Blue Dragon. In Terra Battle, he managed a wide range of tasks, including scenario and character artwork.
His new characters will be added.
We're discussing the possibility of introducing two new Dragon Slayers.

Top Bottom