• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

zulux21

Yeah, it really needs some mainstream attention for the download starter alone. The F2P label is probably not helping despite being a genuinely great and full, free game.

I know I wasn't exactly excited when it was announced mistwalker was wasting their time with a free to play game.

I have a bad habit of absorbing all video game news ever though, so I eventually heard some details about the game and got interested in it. So many free to play games do it poorly though that I can't blame people for not being that interested. I mean I feel like puzzles and dragons does it well, but that is one of the few examples of games that have lots of characters to level up that I feel does it well... and this is coming from someone who has like 600 hours logged in marvel puzzle quest.

I am just hoping that Terra Battle continues to give out energy at a decent rate, so that like puzzles and dragons while you aren't rolling in it, you can still easily do a roll or two for free when you are likely to get something good... though if terra battle doesn't have a roster cap you have to spend energy on to make bigger, and gives out energy at the same rate as PAD it will do a lot better... (I have wasted 47 stones on roster space in PAD)

I am also really curious about the whole future co op battles, which given how downloads are going should be announced to be coming to the game in a week or so.

But my first impressions of this game are really solid... like I will actually throw them some money solid which I rarely do for free to play games... as HIT A WALL means quit the game, not throw money at it for me, while THIS GAME IS GREAT means give the developers some money to me (I typically spend $50 on any free to play MMO that I enjoy for 50 or more hours... heck I really don't spend that money on much of anything most of it is still sitting in my accounts but I like supporting people who make fun games)

I'm torn if I want to see more promo codes though... on one hand free gifts are nice, on the other hand if they just made them log in during these dates and get X instead of codes it would mean I wouldn't have to put in a stupid log code to get something :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Shit rolled again today and only got an A class bow type...really need a Fire mage or better Spear unit. Well cant have it all ( for now) ....

Guess I have to farm some items at the hunting zone. I still have only upgraded 1 character (the story relevant one).

I got my first SS character on my second playday. You shouldn't bother too much with SS.

Visceir

Game is pretty darn good, although I don't know if it'll have enough to keep me playing too long with the relatively slow rate of recruiting characters and gameplay that doesn't seem to have too much room to expand, fun as it is.

Are S/SS characters that much better? I only have an A Mage, B healer, and 2 B archers, but haven't had too much trouble through chapter 7. I think my decent party make up helps a bunch, but will I start hitting a wall without more A+s?

I imagine it will take weeks before of casual play before you'd get to the part in the game where SS characters get much better than other characters. It's probably more of an end game concern. Initially lower rank characters might even be better as they level up faster and thus get skills faster.

I just finished Chapter 10 and they've done a decent job with keeping the gameplay fresh, there have been boss monsters with interesting patterns, boss monsters that manipulate time and regen all their health if you don't kill them fast enough past a certain point.

Edit: Just recruited SS Amina character, nice!

Hige

Does anyone know if it's possible to funnel exp to one character? Since metal zone 1 caps at 20, I was going to try using 5 characters over 20 and one low level character to see if they get 100% of the exp.
I tried it out and it doesn't work. :( I tried metal zone 1 with 5 characters over level 20 and a level 10 character. I earned ~120k exp and it only went from level 10 to 14 (about 5k exp per level up), so the exp still gets split up instead of concentrated to one character.

Zorbane

Neo Member
I tried it out and it doesn't work. :( I tried metal zone 1 with 5 characters over level 20 and a level 10 character. I earned ~120k exp and it only went from level 10 to 14 (about 5k exp per level up), so the exp still gets split up instead of concentrated to one character.

You can run it with less characters. So for your example if you were ballsy enough you could run with 3 overpowered characters and that level 10 guy, and split the 120k between the 4 (so 30k to your little character)

Hige

Yeah, I actually did exactly that the second time around. It's tricky though because you need enough characters to kill the monsters before they flee, but not too many that you're leveling inefficiently. It should become easier to do with stronger characters with more AOE attacks etc.

Is it just me or is chapter 7 quite a bit easier than 6? I'm having no trouble just tearing through enemies. I haven't really taken any damage either. In chapter 6 my characters were getting taken out quite easily. Also
that stupid spider boss with it's regenerating minions sucks.

Longsword

Yeah, it really needs some mainstream attention for the download starter alone. The F2P label is probably not helping despite being a genuinely great and full, free game.

Usually marketing (i.e. ads in other mobile apps) takes care of this, but it as far as media coverage is concerned Terra Battle headed towards 85-90 metacritic as well. But more the merrier, of course.

But really, the features it has gotten for Apple are worth millions upon millions of marketing. 390K downloads in 3 days is nothing to sneeze at for a quite hardcore niche game without marketing muscle of King or Supercell behind it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I've read that having characters above the level range lowers the drop rates in the hunting zone, anyone know if it has been verified?

I want to farm stuff in order to promote some characters but I'm not seeing much drops in the first hunting zone with characters above lvl 20. I'm near the end of chapter 8 so I might want to power through chapter 9 to get access to the next hunting zone...

Azusa

I've read that having characters above the level range lowers the drop rates in the hunting zone, anyone know if it has been verified?

I want to farm stuff in order to promote some characters but I'm not seeing much drops in the first hunting zone with characters above lvl 20. I'm near the end of chapter 8 so I might want to power through chapter 9 to get access to the next hunting zone...

I have tried the second Hunting zone 3 times and on average I have got 18 items. And only one time I have got one rare item, others are rings.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I have tried the second Hunting zone 3 times and on average I have got 18 items. And only one time I have got one rare item, others are rings.
Ok, my last try in the first hunting zone with over-leveled characters only got me a 2-3 items.

And since you get the the metal zones one chapter before getting the hunting zone you run into the risk of levelling up your character too much to have decent drop rates....

Gathered enough energy for a third recruit, an SS-rank Nurse. Guess she'll be replacing the Acolyte in my main squad. Afterwards, I had a pretty good run in the Metal Zone with Squad 2, where they gained a bunch of levels (e.g. the monsters went from lvl 1 to lvl 7).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm curious, does anyone read the text or story?

Definitely. I like to have some idea of the personality behind my characters and worlds, and since the game offers none in gameplay. story is the next best option!

I'm glad it's not a classic fighting tournament or some such thing. Good stuff so far.

You used to be able to do it in PAD, if you can't it's because they patched it out. I quit almost 2 years ago though.

Ahhh, now in PAD, it returns errors if you try to enter into something too late.

I like being able to "mark your spot" on limited time events. I'd think it was abuse if it let you run multiple times for doing such, but just allowing one more run seems pretty fair, and like a nice consideration for those who remember the times, but might not have enough at that exact moment.

9-5 is bullshit. Enemies spawning on top of your team forcing them onto the lava panels and having the damage trigger twice and then insta-killing them is infuriating. (Admittedly my guys are a little under-levelled, but still!)

Visceir

My current team

Would love to get rid of Ba'gunar for a more decent sword guy and perhaps Metupi for another mage. My Amina is just lvl 10 and Kuscah seems to be the better option until I tackle the metal zone again.
G5XaQxF.jpg

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't know if it's just me, but Chapter 16 just boosted the difficulty from the get-go; first battle left me with 3 members left... or I just don't have good sword people at all.

Datschge

I think the download starter shows that Mistwalker planned for Terra Battle to grow more slowly in popularity. It's pretty clear that the milestones are cleared way faster than they were prepared to handle them. So in that regard they have enough mainstream attention as is, for now anyway. It will be really interesting how they go forward from here on (e.g. is download starter a success they will expand on, or is it a "failure" since they can't fulfill them as soon as they are reached? etc.).

Visceir

You can run it with less characters. So for your example if you were ballsy enough you could run with 3 overpowered characters and that level 10 guy, and split the 120k between the 4 (so 30k to your little character)

Actually gave that a try just now. Two lvl 25+ characters with AoE attacks and one lvl 10 char. I managed to kill all but one monster and got ~120 k exp, split between the 3 characters. This is definitely the way to go about leveling up new characters.

Might actually be able to have my SS Amina catch up to the rest of the group with 2 - 3 more runs.

It will be really interesting how they go forward from here on (e.g. is download starter a success they will expand on, or is it a "failure" since they can't fulfill them as soon as they are reached? etc.).

To me it always felt more like a novelty thing. I mean -- it's not like a kickstarter where you have to invest money. The game is free.

I'm also kinda surprised how low they set the goals. I figured games like this would surpass a few mil easily.

Longsword

To me it always felt more like a novelty thing. I mean -- it's not like a kickstarter where you have to invest money. The game is free.

I'm also kinda surprised how low they set the goals. I figured games like this would surpass a few mil easily.

Remember that each DL has value (for a game like this you usually generate anywhere from 1 to 10$ per download if the game is a hit), so for Mistwalker it is money, even if the game is free. Adverts are expensive.

As for DL numbers, the game is out only in few countries, so the DL numbers seemed reasonable initially to me, but clearly there was more pent-up demand that Mistwalker realized.

All this is good news of course. Game is doing extremely well on Japanese Top Grossing lists, which means that Mistwalker are being rewarded for their efforts.

Goli

Sorry for not updating the thread, but I was busy during the weekend, I'll update it now to reflect the download starter progress and add some more tips, also:

I just got another SS class unit with free energy, yay!
Bz6GT9bIYAA4x_o.jpg:large

And, my current team:
Bz6G1IRIIAAsozE.jpg:large

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can someone help explain how activated skills work? Why is it that sometimes my Jennish does a sweet-ass AoE attack and other times, he doesn't?

Hige

Can someone help explain how activated skills work? Why is it that sometimes my Jennish does a sweet-ass AoE attack and other times, he doesn't?
It only triggers 50% of the time. Go to the settings menu and click on tips; there's a page that explains skills.

Nohar

I got Ba'gunar again, right after recruiting him in the story, and Eileen again too tpday... Come on, how unlucky am I? :( I really need new characters better than the monsters and generic ones.

Ryuukan

dunno if it was posted yet but you can grind 9-7 for sea tears to add a job for Bagunar. Only took me 3 extra runs to get enough

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
dunno if it was posted yet but you can grind 9-7 for sea tears to add a job for Bagunar. Only took me 3 extra runs to get enough

Anyone has a list for grind levels for each individual material yet?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

depths20XX

What's the point of capturing the monsters in battle?

It's not like you'll ever use them in your party. Are they planning on adding someway to turn them into something useful?

Toma

It's not like you'll ever use them in your party. Are they planning on adding someway to turn them into something useful?

I actually use them, for example I needed something to fill up a team with only elemental damage. Same goes if I decide I need mostly sword fighters, unless you already have all the non-monster characters and can fill up teams for any situation without those.

ldcommando

Banned

I´ve used some of them. Just level them up on the metal thingie and they kick ass as much as the regular characters.

meow

I think the only monster captures I've made are spear users. I have 5 energy and could really use another archer instead of the C class addition we got in the tutorial, but don't want to recruit because I have crappy luck.

thefro

The monsters all seem to have pretty unique skills, so I could see where one of those might be helpful in a certain battle.

Blimey. Chapter 7 final battle was certainly not a pushover. I wasn't expecting to survive that, but somehow I managed to just about bring down the second fire-breathing fucker with only my SS healer and A archer left (and they were practically running on life support). The skin of their teeth.

depths20XX

I actually use them, for example I needed something to fill up a team with only elemental damage. Same goes if I decide I need mostly sword fighters, unless you already have all the non-monster characters and can fill up teams for any situation without those.

Hmm, I guess I can see that being helpful for the pudding dungeon, yeah.

One thing I have to say about this game is I love how the battles actually feel like you're doing something. There's also a lot of mechanics and "theme" they are able to fit in such as traps and bombs, etc.

In Brave Frontier I felt like I was just tapping on a screen and that shit got old.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Got another SS character today. Now I've got the twins! Yukken seems a lot more broken than Rikken though, because she's bow/sword/spear for her job classes. Also got Kem, who's useful enough. Wish I had an AoE character though, but beggars can't be choosers.

Visceir

For some reason I REALLY dislike Bagunar, his stats seem really poor, damage output is poor and I never really have any use for him. Only reason why I'm keeping him in the party is because hes the only sword character I have. Can't wait to get rid of him.

I did a pudding run and got dark matter and like 15 rings of all sorts. Slightly tempted to do more of those runs in hopes I actually get the items I need. Otherwise I'd have to endure until chapter 15 and chapter 20 for my job changes.

Toma

For some reason I REALLY dislike Bagunar, his stats seem really poor, damage output is poor and I never really have any use for him. Only reason why I'm keeping him in the party is because hes the only sword character I have. Can't wait to get rid of him.

I did a pudding run and got dark matter and like 15 rings of all sorts. Slightly tempted to do more of those runs in hopes I actually get the items I need. Otherwise I'd have to endure until chapter 15 and chapter 20 for my job changes.

I did exactly that, got enough materials to level two of my SS after 8-10 runs or so.

WTB Metal Zone opening plz!!!

ran out of metal ticketS?

I did a pudding run and got dark matter and like 15 rings of all sorts. Slightly tempted to do more of those runs in hopes I actually get the items I need. Otherwise I'd have to endure until chapter 15 and chapter 20 for my job changes

what level was your team?

Does anyone know how to access metal hunting zone 2 using tickets? If I got to Arena then Special it only gives me the option for the first zone.

Top Bottom