• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U will arrive before the end of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurayuki

"By year's end" isn't the same as "at year's end."

Exactly, he's saying SmaBra will hit before the end of the year, literally.
If you think that entails releasing at the tail end of the year, fine, but that's your interpretation, not what he said ;D

NIBEL PLS, some Mod edit that title :D

MBR

Banned
At least now we can be sure that Nintendo aren't really rushing to get their next system out...

If Nintendo were more competent with digital distribution they could've patched in extra characters for free, later like Valve does with Dota 2.

I suspect the game will be rushed out for the Holiday or delayed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Exactly, he's saying SmaBra will hit before the end of the year, literally.
If you think that entails releasing at the tail end of the year, fine, but that's your interpretation, not what he said ;D

NIBEL PLS, some Mod edit that title :D

Is that a legit translation from the Japanese Q&A? If that's the case...NIIBEEELLL!!! XD

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I think Nintendo underestimated HD development.

Absolutely. It's a major reason the japanese industry as a whole lagged behind this past generation and Nintendo had yet to climb this wall. And it does not go well with their philosophy either, of selling cheap hardware and making it up with selling expensive software. That's why they kept the main Pokemon series away from home consoles. They were able to keep revenues up by keeping dev costs down but not anymore.

What I expected. Fine with me but I sure hope either Zelda or X are coming this year also. Other than that they have Donkey Kong and Mario Kart which I'm not thrilled for but will surely enjoy. There's basically going to be nothing between Mario Kart and Smash though? I hope they have something else to announce soon.

Toki767

How many games does Nintendo have coming out for the Wii U this year? 5?

This could be a pretty long year for the Wii U during a time where they really need to step up the software output.

Tobor

I'm baffled that there's even less than last year. What the hell are they doing?!

Given their release schedule, I'd say they're winding the Wii U platform down. They just promised more support, but you'd have to do that to try and clear out the remaining hardware at full price and avoid a fire sale.

PokéKong

The tweet says "by", thread title says "at", reporting for misleading headlines.

Okay but hold on, since when is Miyamoto involved with Smash at all?

Zalman

You were delusional if you expected anything else. This is their big holiday game.

PokéKong;99196367 said:
The tweet says "by", thread title says "at", reporting for misleading headlines.

Pretty sure he's the/a supervisor.

Nibel

ibaxQ5PKJesS9.gif

Mods, please edit the title then - I don't think it's a big issue since the OP states it correctly

PokéKong;99196367 said:

Miyamoto is involved with everything

Everything

StayDead

I'm not surprised by this purely because Sakurai likes making quality games with lots of content. He probably announced it sooner than he'd hoped and unlike your generic AAA churn'em out every year game Smash titles usually have a high quality to them that takes time to develop.

Are people seriously complaining that we're getting it by years end? I thought we wouldn't even get it until 2015 when it was first announced.

mindsale

Before the end of the year? So, summer it is? They need Wii U's to not get pulled from retailer space - they're already sandwiched in odd nooks at the Best Buys near me.
Mariokart Wii and Brawl were what, less than a month apart? Not that that's any indication, but Mariokart was the best-selling non-pack-in on Wii if I recall and Brawl did very well (11.5m global), so maybe they'll do a June or July release for Smash Bros Wii U. Still gives them a favorable E3 showing and buys the Wii U a holiday 2014 stay-of-execution.
They've already announced 22 characters and at a very generous clip the past few months - think about how stagnant and boring updates would be if it hits in December. Or think about how many surprise inclusions / returns would be spoiled if they continue reveals at a bi-weekly rate.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
That makes sense though it's not nearly as big of a seller as Mario Kart.

Shurayuki

PokéKong;99196367 said:

The question was a continuation of the last investor meetings where Nintendo said one problem with the WiiU was that they couldn't push out main franchise titles at launch.

An investor followed up on that and Iwata had Miyamoto answer about what the has to say about WiiU software (since he's head of software development in general).

The_Lump

Banned
Not in the least but suprising. Who honestly expected earlier? What else would they have for Christmas if it was earlier?

On another note, is this even noteworthy? Hasn't Nintendo always said that it's a 2014 title? What's the news here? Maybe I haven't been following and missed something?

This.

duckroll

SMH @ the original title. :p

On another note, is this even noteworthy? Hasn't Nintendo always said that it's a 2014 title? What's the news here? Maybe I haven't been following and missed something?

I'm looking at Amazon game listings and they show 6 Wii U games upcoming.

1. Lego Movie Videogame (Feb 7th)
2. Donkey Kong (Feb 21st)
3. Watch Dogs (June 30th)
4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.

"By year's end" isn't the same as "at year's end."

That was my first thought when reading the OP.

However, I highly doubt it's coming out before the holiday period. If it were, Nintendo would emphasise that, especially since the Wii U is doing so badly.

And I still half-expect it to be delayed, if Brawl is anything to go by. That game was delayed multiple times.

Anyway, as has already been said, later this year is far too late for it to help the Wii U recover. Mario Kart is the last hope the Wii U has, and even then, the best it can hope for is "damage control", as opposed to "turning things around."

Basically as expected. I'm not sure why anyone wants it earlier to try and help the wii U. That's a ship on a crash course with an ice berg and there is nothing that will stop it from sinking. I'd rather they just take their time and make the game fucking awesome.

Also i'm not sure i agree with the comments about it being a much smaller seller than mario kart. On the wii that was absolutely true but i get the feeling the numbers will be MUCH closer this time. More like what we saw with the GC.

grebby

If this does indeed mean Smash is going to be Nintendo's big holiday release, that's pretty disappointing. Donkey Kong is this month, then there's Mario Kart in May. Donkey Kong should be fun, Mario Kart is... Mario Kart (not that excited for Mario Kart). While I'm sure these will be all be fun games, I can't help but feel really bored with this lineup. We've all played these games before, there's nothing from Nintendo that I am just dying to play. I say this as a new Wii U owner, I feel the same way with Super Mario 3D World, it's a fun game but it's just not blowing me away.

Until the holiday season there's (presumably) no major releases from Nintendo. I don't expect them to announce something around E3 that will arrive this year, just seems too unlikely. I only worry about the state of X, as that is the Wii U game I'm probably most excited for. Overall I'm really curious to know if Nintendo is moving on from the Wii U after this year. I just don't think they can do anything at this point to save it.

SJRB

Gold Member

4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.

WiiU version of Watchdogs seems to be all but confirmed at the moment.

Heyt

Banned
But... is that release window statement just for the WiiU version or for the 3DS version as well?

KemoSabe

a release later then Q2/14 is ridiculous...
i expected it to hit before june

and they wonder why the wiiu sales suck.

they need good games more then ever before since the third parties dont give a fuck about the wiiu

popeutlal

4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.
The droughts from Nintendo have been going on since the n64 days....at this point it has to be on purpose. No way they aren't prepared EVERY GENERATION.

Hip Hop

4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.

I found it hilarious when sites/people were clamoring on that you should choose a Wii U instead of an X1/PS4.

I'd argue that the 1st party and third party offerings of the X1/PS4 right now demolish what games the Wii U already has. It's only going to get worse at this point by looking at the upcoming titles.

Nibel

But... is that release window statement just for the WiiU version or for the 3DS version as well?

That's a good question: he only mention Wii U as far as I know, and since those two versions are suppose to work with each other in a certain way, I expect them to release very close to each other

I can't imagine the 3DS version being released earlier and the Wii U version much later, that'd be weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom