• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U will arrive before the end of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

So, nothing really new, only the re-confirmation the game is coming this year, with even a reasonable chance of a release before the end of the year.

Title has been edited. Some people should also edit their post accordingly.

Nintendo is no good for the heart of some gafers, mostly non Wii U gafers. Let it be guys, why do you impose this to you (and to us)?

dat Wii U games line up in 2014.

tumblr_kwjzp86kzD1qajvuvo1_500.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To be honest, I think it could come out earlier than what we think. Recently, Sakurai upped the reveal pace by quite a lot: look at how many things got unveiled / teased in December and January, and compare that with what happened in the other months.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't this been known for a long time? I bet it's their big holiday game, hopefully preceded by X and/or Bayonetta 2.

Maybe my expactations are too low, but if I get DK, MK, Bayo2, X and Smash by the end of the year I'll be fine on that front.

Hasn't this been known for a long time? I bet it's their big holiday game, hopefully preceded by X and/or Bayonetta 2.

Maybe my expactations are too low, but if I get DK, MK, Bayo2, X and Smash by the end of the year I'll be fine on that front.

Cant see any of those games being anything less than stellar.

However, X is iffy to be this year.

I think it could be this year though.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
What? The 3DS game was the first and only planned version until Iwata asked for a Wii U game. If anything, you owe the 3DS thanks.

Not quite, this is what he actually said...:

Sakurai: While the development of Kid Icarus Uprising was coming to an end Satoru Iwata came to ask me to develop the next SSB and asked me if it should be developed on 3DS or Wii U.We arrived to the point where the series couldn't really evolve anymore and we wondered if going handheld was the solution.In the past we raised the number of characters and stages but it wasn't enough.

Around this time we could have chose to develop only a 3DS version, but we realized that there were several limitations.I'm talking about playing a game like SSB on a small screen. So even if it is complicated to develop two versions of the game at the same time, we decided to adapt the Smash Bros experience to the characteristics of both platforms.

Iwata asked Sakurai what platform he wanted to make Smash on, felt like the next step should be handheld, came to limitations, decided to make on Wii U and 3DS both.

Link.

Seik

Banned
Since this is a major release I prefer Sakurai to take the time to do it properly anyway.

I don't get all the ''pathetic'' posts.

Not quite, this is what he actually said...:

Iwata asked Sakurai what platform he wanted to make Smash on, felt like the next step should be handheld, came to limitations, decided to make on Wii U and 3DS both.

Link.
This would have been such a terrible move.

I truly question Sakurai's overall competence as a developer of such a big series. He's made some questionable decisions...

Kouriozan

The last veteran reveal told us that Lucario made in "thanks to the devs effort".
It totally means it is in its last stage of development.
I hope.

SuperSah

Banned
Please, were is this you are talking about. Show me the EXACT quote of Sakurai saying this, because every time this is sayed the original quote never appears.
And of course is inferior, and the worst thing is it's making the WiiU version even more inferior.

Read above.

The 3DS game basically begun first.

Korosenai

Now the question is, which version is coming first. Hopefully both the Wii U and 3DS versions get released this year.... I need my portable smash bros. fix.

Vidiot

They reached a point where console vers. could not be evolved then began a 3DS only game THEN they decided on Wii U.

So yeah, 3DS game begun first lol

I think the decision to develope on 3DS came first but by the time actual game development started it was for both versions. Either way its not thanks to the 3DS version we got a Wii U version. It's thanks to Sakurai.

I also don't see how how putting it on a handheld could "evolve" the series while a console couldn't. Seems like a BS response to me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
People need to learn how to deal with their patience since we can't always get what we want with the release date. I would rather to see that they are working on the game until they feel that it's ready to be release. People started to jump into conclusion, and all that when it meant that they are going to release the game BY end of the 2014. NOT AT.

I want them to take their time and finish the game whatever they feel like. I can't wait to get my hands on the game because I know it will be amazing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to toss one of my post from other thread, so people would get the ideas about development schedules. Edited: Sorry about double post.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link here, but if anyone's bored and wants to hear Sakurai talk about Brawl for almost an hour I reacquired his 2008 GDC keynote address (GDC removed the file from their site last year).

There isn't really anything new in the speech -- it's been summarized on various sites in the past -- but it's still nice to hear in full.

I would like to emphasis that I used your link, wiki and http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/15390 as sources. For super smash fans, I urge everyone to read those three sources. I always have been enjoying to reread those articles about Sakurai's GDC conference.

I would like to toss one quote here.

As Sakurai ended his talk, the crowd gave him a big round of applause. In the rush to get Sakurai off-stage, we overheard him being asked a question about the possibility of downloadable content for Brawl in the future. As we heard it, although Sakurai would have liked to do it, it was not possible due to the lack of hard drive on the Wii.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Development Schedules

• After E3 2005 (May 2005), Iwata asked Sakurai to be Director of Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Character Roster and Design document were finalized on July 7, 2005.
  • Development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl began somewhen during Oct 2005
  • First Super Smash Bros Brawl Trailer was revealed during E3 After Hours Press Conference on May 10, 2006.
  • Second Super Smash Bros Brawl Trailer was revealed at Nintendo World, which announced Fox as playable character
  • Super Smash Bros Dojo was launched on May 27, 2007
  • Sonic and Delay were announced on Oct 10, 2007
  • Release Date - Japan: Jan 31, 2008 and NA: March 9, 2008
  • Super Smash Bros Dojo ended on April 14, 2008

Informations:

• Nintendo opened a new office in Tokyo just for Super Smash Bros Brawl production.
  • New office aka Sora, LTD was established in order to Sakurai to be freelancer. Sora, LTD only have two members, which is Sakurai and his assistant.
  • Nintendo and Sakurai enlisted several companies to helping them out with Super Smash Bros Brawl Development. Those following companies and members that joined the team to assist Sakurai; Game Arts, Monolith Soft, Paon, and several smash veteran staff members.
  • Game Arts is the main team for preliminary development stage
  • Hal Laboratory gave the teams all accesses to original materials and tools from the development of Super Smash Bros Melee.
  • About 100 members worked on the project full time.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS Development Schedule

• Iwata announced Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS during Nintendo E3 2011 conference in order to attract new team members
  • During Feb 2012, Sakurai tweeted that, during his brainstorming, he had been looking over Super Smash Bros Dojo, and reflecting on the past game's development.
  • E3 2012 Nintendo Direct confirmed joint-project between Sora, LTD and Namco Bandai
  • During June 2012, Sakurai reported that the game's development was in its first steps.
  • During June 2012, They announced that Sakurai and Namco Bandai already completed a working prototype.
  • During Aug 2012, Sakurai stated that game system had been completed.
  • E3 2013 Nintendo Direct release a first trailer of Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U, which confirmed 9 veteran characters and 3 newcomers; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Pit, Fox, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man.
  • Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS website went up on June 13, 2013
  • Daily Image started on June 13, 2013.

Informations
  • Yoshito Higuchi and Keiki Kobayashi are team leaders for Development teams.
  • Sakurai expressed his interests that he intended to bring back old Nintendo characters for the games.
  • Feeling that the series had found its target audience and introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand, Sakurai explained that he was thinking of ways to introduce a new, different experience, while retaining the frantic gameplay from previous installments.
  • Tripping were removed from the game, and gameplay would be between Melee and Brawl

My takes on Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Schedule
  • Sakurai probably started on brainstorming phase in Jan 2012, and finalized his roster plan and design document in March 2012.
  • Namco Bandai and Sora, LTD probably started working on the games somwhen during April or May 2012, which would explain that they have completed prototype in their hands during June 2012.

If I made any mistakes or I forget to add something important then please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom