• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U will arrive before the end of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

I'm looking at Amazon game listings and they show 6 Wii U games upcoming.

1. Lego Movie Videogame (Feb 7th)
2. Donkey Kong (Feb 21st)
3. Watch Dogs (June 30th)
4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.

I know N64 and GameCube had droughts but were they ever this bad? Hopefully some new E3 announcements will make the holidays look better. Also, isn't "X" coming this year as well?

Xun

I have a feeling that Zelda U will be a christmas game to tag team with Smash.
I hope so, but I very much doubt it.

We could see a similar situation to Twilight Princess though, and I think that would be the best option.

jabuseika

4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.

Sooo optimistic thinking Watchdogs will release that early on the WiiU, if at all...

Bayonetta? Probably will be late 2014 as well.

I found it hilarious when sites/people were clamoring on that you should choose a Wii U instead of an X1/PS4.

I'd argue that the 1st party and third party offerings of the X1/PS4 right now demolish what games the Wii U already has. It's only going to get worse at this point by looking at the upcoming titles.

Nintendo has one dev focus on one IP for both handhelds/consoles and they shuffle between each console after every release.

3DS drought begins in 2014 while they wind down and focus on the Wii U and once they're done with the Wii U, they go back to the 3DS again.

It's how they've always done things since the GBA/Gamecube and it ensures their games remain at consistent quality despite having droughts every other year or so for each platform.

Just because Nintendo has not announced many 2014 games, doesn't mean there won't be more. It seems like you guys go through this every year. We will start hearing about more games after the fiscal year ends and then some more at E3. Just like last year.

FourMyle

4. Mario Kart
5. Bayonetta
6. Smash Bros.

Wow.

I remember a couple of months back some clown on here was saying that the Wii U would have more Japanese support than the PS3 in 2014. Some people are seriously delusional.

Tobor

Just because Nintendo has not announced many 2014 games, doesn't mean there won't be more. It seems like you guys go through this every year. We will start hearing about more games after the fiscal year ends and then some more at E3. Just like last year.

How many Wii U games released in 2013 were announced after the fiscal year ended? How many Wii U games released in 2013 were announced at E3?

QaaQer

This might be one of the last games for WiiU. I can totally see Nintendo launching their new system during the first months of 2015.

Qol is coming 2015. 2017 makes the most sense for Wii3, & 2016 for the new handheld. They won't be launching 2 hardware platforms in the same year, no way.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What is interesting is that Smash 3DS is not mentioned. I had a theory that they'd prioritise the Wii U version...

3DS Smash in 2015?

Zalman

What is interesting is that Smash 3DS is not mentioned. I had a theory that they'd prioritise the Wii U version...

3DS Smash in 2015?
3DS version might be a few months behind, but I don't think it will be anything major. They should definitely prioritize the Wii U version if needed though.

Zalman

Wow i totally forgot about Zelda. That game was probably moved to the next Nintendo Console already by the look of things. Either that or thats gonna be the very last Wii U game.
The game will most definitely release on the Wii U, but depending on when it's out it might also come out on the next system, similar to Twilight Princess.

Bgamer90

Banned

"Go through this every year..."

Yeah, since the Wii U has had such a huge library of retail games to play every year right?

I mean, the Xbox One and PS4 also have unannounced games coming out this year too but yet the confirmed 2014 lineups of both systems still completely outnumbers what's confirmed to come out to the Wii U this year.

Neff

Indeed. We didn't know anything about 3D World until last year's E3, which released months after. Unannounced Wii U projects started back when the hardware was finalised should now be nearing completion.

I hope you guys are right but I don't know how can they afford to hold on WiiU.

Nintendo stands to lose far, far more by not supporting Wii U, I assure you.

Tenki

I'm ok with Smash 3DS being delayed if that means Smash Wii U comes faster. Also the U needs Smash more than 3DS.

Zalman

Indeed. We didn't know anything about 3D World until last year's E3, which released months after. Unannounced Wii U projects started back when the hardware was finalised should now be nearing completion.
To be fair, we first heard about 3D World around this time last year. I would expect a Direct fairly soon addressing upcoming Wii U games.

JoeM86

Ok, but what are we going to get in between MK and Smash?

Hyrule Warriors is being aimed for the summer, at least in Japan. Doubt it'll be much later elsewhere.

Bayonetta 2, too.

Other things that we'll see in the next Direct are likely too

How many Wii U games released in 2013 were announced after the fiscal year ended? How many Wii U games released in 2013 were announced at E3?

I'd have to go back and watch a Nintendo Direct from that time. I can't remember what was announced when.

Neff

To be fair, we first heard about 3D World around this time last year. I would expect a Direct fairly soon addressing upcoming Wii U games.

I believe it was a vague '3D Mario from EAD is coming', but we didn't know the title or what kind of game it was until E3. I think you're right that we'll get a cool Direct soon.

gogogow

Yeah, since the Wii U has had such a huge library of retail games to play every year right?

I mean, the Xbox One and PS4 also have unannounced games coming out this year too but yet the confirmed 2014 lineups of both systems still completely outnumbers what's confirmed to come out to the Wii U this year.

Eh...I don't think he only means the Wii U, but 3DS, Wii etc.

And no shit the XO and PS4 has more games coming. They have actual third party support. Like we didn't know that for as long as we can remember. Nintendo is basically all by themselves. If you look at Sony's own games, they have what, like 2-3 confirmed games? Drive Club, Infamous (and probably/maybe UC4).

Neifirst

Just get X out before year's end, Nintendo. That game is about a million times more interesting than Smash, even though it will likely sell about a million times less copies.

And both will be more enjoyable than another 3rd person shooter (The Order) and a remake of Halo 2.

Ι still haven't found the time to carefully read the Slides from the Investors Briefing, but why are you all so sure, that a new Home Console is coming on 2015?Were there any quotes, data, etc that lead you to this conclusion?

It's staggering. To be fair though all consoles also show a big drought from April through June (currently nothing much at all releasing that time frame looking at Amazon's listings), though I imagine that will change more so than with the Wii U. We'll see.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
Ok, but what are we going to get in between MK and Smash?

Dr. Luigi, and NES Remix were both surprises from a Nintendo Direct that launched the same month. Nintendo likes to let you know with surprises, so wait for it. I'm sure they've got something and it will basically hit you in the face.

JoeM86

Ι still haven't found the time to carefully read the Slides from the Investors Briefing, but why are you all so sure, that a new Home Console is coming on 2015?Were there any quotes, data, etc that lead you to this conclusion?

People are misinterpreting. Nintendo's QOL platform is slated for 2015. It's not a home console, it's their third pillar.

40l.jpg

Tobor

I'd have to go back and watch a Nintendo Direct from that time. I can't remember what was announced when.

I just went back and looked at their official page for E3 2013 and there is a whole lot of nothing. Mostly 2014 stuff and 2013 stuff everyone already knew about.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

we haven't even seen anything from it. that game (if still being made) is at least a year and a half off.

My dusty WiiU is crying for more games. It's messed up that I know I have played more on my now 3 week old Vita than my year and a month old WiiU.

Rocky

Banned
Qol is coming 2015. 2017 makes the most sense for Wii3, & 2016 for the new handheld. They won't be launching 2 hardware platforms in the same year, no way.

No way in hell that their next console uses the Wii brand name. That name is poison for them now and it needs to be buried. They need to come up with something else to call it.

People are misinterpreting. Nintendo's QOL platform is slated for 2015. It's not a home console, it's their third pillar.

40l.jpg

The DS started out as third pillar too and then became Nintendo's only handheld brand after it was successful.

Neff

No way in hell that their next console uses the Wii brand name. That name is poison for them now and it needs to be buried. They need to come up with something else to call it.

They'll even hide the Nintendo logo if they're smart.

Zalman

How come people assume they might delay the 3DS version? Shouldn't be that one be easier to produce?
It's not something I'm assuming, but if they reach a point where they realize then can't finish both versions this year (which could very well happen), they should definitely prioritize the Wii U version. It just seems like the most logical thing to do in that scenario.

haha you guys thought it was coming before then? November / December has always been the date imo

this is the game for Wii u this year, its all or nothing

takriel

So they're pulling off another Skyward Sword, aren't they? Unveil Zelda U this E3 and release it one and a half years later, at the end of 2015. I don't know if I can relive that again. I got obsessed with any news regarding Skyward Sword. Don't do this to me again, Nintendo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom