• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U will arrive before the end of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they'll delay the 3DS version. If they decided to scrap functionality between the two and just make standalone games then a delay would be more likely, but if they're still going to make each version compliment the other, then I don't see them delaying the 3DS version. Just doesn't make much sense to.

gogogow

It's not something I'm assuming, but if they reach a point where they realize then can't finish both versions this year (which could very well happen), they should definitely prioritize the Wii U version. It just seems like the most logical thing to do in that scenario.

Nintendo aren't making both versions....I thought people knew this by know.
The point of handing SSB over to Bamco is so that they can get the game out as quick as possible.

Yado

They're going to E3 this year right? There has to be unannounced Wii U titles, I can't imagine that they would just show us Smash, X & Zelda. Unless of course they announce that they're taking the Wii U off life support.

Epcott

Read title as Super Mario Bros. 4 Wii U and got excited, then sad, but back to happy when I realized it was Smash Bros 4. Then excited again when I read 2014, and then back to meh when I read "end of".

So many emotions over just thread title.

DarkKyo

Pathetic.

And as someone who isn't a Smash fan, this ties up Sakurai for another 10 months when he could be making a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising (or a brand new game) on the Wii U.

The fact that you had to go there is pathetic.

A new Smash game will not only sell better for Nintendo, it was probably be a better game than any possible Kid Icarus sequel.

SuperSah

Banned
How come people assume they might delay the 3DS version? Shouldn't be that one be easier to produce?

It seems like they want to intentionally push back the 3DS release in order for the Wii U game to gain some sales.

Ridiculous, in all honesty. It should be far easier and quicker to make Smash on 3DS and it's almost guaranteed to outsell the Wii U game regardless if it releases later or not.

This is sounding as if there'll be no Smash 3DS until next year, which is incredibly disappointing since I only want it on 3DS.

Consdering Nintendo can't seem to help the Wii U, I would of thought they'd try and hurry this. In a recent interview, Sakurai said he's at the point of wanting to release Smash as quickly as possible. I'm feeling a 2015 release for both, and in all honesty, Nintendo cannot afford to do this at all. The Wii U will be extremely lucky to survive this year, IMO.

SuperSah

Banned
Where are people reading this/getting this from? It sure isn't in the OP.

I'm assuming because it's obvious 3DS will steal most sales for Smash, so releasing first on Wii U seems like an obvious step.

The fact that you had to go there is pathetic.

A new Smash game will not only sell better for Nintendo, it was probably be a better game than any possible Kid Icarus sequel.

Sakurai said he never wants to make a KIU sequel, so why is everyone banking on it?

I just went back and looked at their official page for E3 2013 and there is a whole lot of nothing. Mostly 2014 stuff and 2013 stuff everyone already knew about.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I wouldn't want you getting my hopes up. >_>

When I say that Nintendo hasn't announced many games for 2014, I mean that they only have dates for a few games. We have release dates for the stuff coming in February and March and vague release windows for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. That's kind of how these things work. They announce games and then later they announce the dates. I remember we had a Nintendo Direct where they showed a bunch of Wii U games last year around this time. There's a bunch of likely 2014 release candidates right there. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about release dates for already announced Wii U and 3DS games as 2014 goes on and probably a few surprises as well.

JoeM86

The DS started out as third pillar too and then became Nintendo's only handheld brand after it was successful.

Yeah, but they only said that to try and not make people hate them for it being 3 years after the GBA's launch, and if the concept was a failure, they could just drop it. It was clearly a successor.

Neff

They're going to E3 this year right?

They should do. Not putting their dick on the world's gaming table and saying "here we are" was a mistake imo. They'd have been drowned out for sure anyway amid the PS4/XBone euphoria, but they at least needed to show their faces and remind people that they exist, rather than slinking off to do a quiet internet broadcast, cool as it was. And while it's understandable that they didn't want to steal the spotlight from LBW, they should have shown Zelda U like they were planning to. They were promptly ignored by most of the media last year and they won't want to make that mistake again.

Village

I don't think should be making assertions like that.

The sakurai train operates on sakurai time, whether sakurai wants it too, or not.
Hoping 2014
Expecting 2015

NeoGAF is getting a little bit crazy regardin nintendo and anything surrounding them.

As for the release date, it was expected already for me! and I am happy with that, gotta give all the necessary polish to this game. It's a gigantic franschise, with no need to rush out, even if things seem to be a little hard for nintendo right now

Kokonoe

Banned
End of 2014 = March 2015.

Okay. I've delt with a lot of Nintendo's crap over the years, but if they release in 2015 I'm not going to purchase this game. I've had a Wii U since launch and the amount of quality titles this system has has been utterly awful.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So nothing new in fact. By the end of 2014 is the same as what info we had before from the addendum to the financial result info.

Rocky

Banned
Yeah, but they only said that to try and not make people hate them for it being 3 years after the GBA's launch, and if the concept was a failure, they could just drop it. It was clearly a successor.

Yeah, and funnily enough, this "fitness" platform is supposed to come out in 2015 which happens to be 3 years after the Wii U launch. History repeating itself, maybe?

Effer

Really? I wasn't aware of that. By soon should we expect a new model to be released yet this year?

I'm totally speculating and probably out to lunch. They'll have some surprises for us at e3, but I have no idea what it'll be. But they did cite 3DS as their revenue platform for 2014 in the financial briefing.

Dr. Buni

I'm totally speculating and probably out to lunch. They'll have some surprises for us at e3, but I have no idea what it'll be.
Hmm I see. Good thing I don't plan on buying a 3DS until very late this year.

After all, the game I really want to play is MonHun 4 Ultimate and it will be released next year. Smash 4 is more or less a "bonus" :)

Anyway, beautiful avatar the one you have. The Fennekin line is amazing.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
I'm excited. I originally thought this was going to be a 2015 game. It still could be but it's been in development for over two years now, I think it will make it's window.

Mattias

Banned
Well I expect it to be released in oktober/november.
Im not buying it though. Im more interested in Mario Kart and the next Zelda game.

Pretty obvious, just as much as the drought until Mario Kart. It has been funny seeing people hoping for some jam packed release schedule with MK and Smash around the corner and then a secret blowout for the end of the year though, lol. I guess some will never learn, considering that a bunch of people on the internet are already back banking hopes on the next Direct for secret releases.
At one point one should realize that this pathetic console will never have a constant stream of retail releases. The management's incompetence has fucked up in their (non existent) preparation for HD too profoundly, they'll never fix this in this gen. Especially with that QOL crap coming up also and pure Iwata ignorance.

They're going to E3 this year right? There has to be unannounced Wii U titles, I can't imagine that they would just show us Smash, X & Zelda. Unless of course they announce that they're taking the Wii U off life support.

You'll get some NFC figure/card game and a trailer for Zelda 2015/16 alongside the known stuff. And maybe Sonic Racing or something, if Sega hasn't found a way too bail out of the contract yet lol. Just hope that Xeno isn't delayed too far into 2015.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
How come people assume they might delay the 3DS version? Shouldn't be that one be easier to produce?

I've had a (perhaps cynical) theory that Nintendo would delay (or otherwise limit) the 3DS version for some time.

Nintendo knows that people like Smash. Nintendo also knows that many people will say "I can play that on 3DS. I don't need a WiiU."

Solution: delay 3DS version to encourage Wii U sales.

There should have never been a 3ds version imo. I think that was a really bad move by Nintendo.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they're going to hate it when the 3DS game outsells the Wii u version by a minimum of 3x as many copies (in the long run, the wii u version might have a stronger first few weeks if they launch at the same time)

Dr. Buni

There should have never been a 3ds version imo. I think that was a really bad move by Nintendo.
There should never been a Wii U version imo :p The 3DS version looks better (again, imo) and it will sell WAY more than the Wii U version. It will not be a bad move.

Seriously, the negativity some people have toward the 3DS version piss me off so much.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't believe anything said by the higher ups at Nintendo. They can't tell reality from fantasy so I've no confidence in anything they say.

Kurtofan

Pretty sure they said they weren't going to release both versions at the same time and since they haven't announced a date for 3DS yet...

SuperSah

Banned

What? The 3DS game was the first and only planned version until Iwata asked for a Wii U game. If anything, you owe the 3DS thanks.

There should never been a Wii U version imo :p The 3DS version looks better (again, imo) and it will sell WAY more than the Wii U version. It will not be a bad move.

Seriously, the negativity some people have toward the 3DS version piss me off so much.

This. All because it's 3DS people instantly call it inferior.

I want it on 3DS for its unique art style and portability. Couldn't care less for a Wii U version.

domlolz

Banned
I found it hilarious when sites/people were clamoring on that you should choose a Wii U instead of an X1/PS4.

I'd argue that the 1st party and third party offerings of the X1/PS4 right now demolish what games the Wii U already has. It's only going to get worse at this point by looking at the upcoming titles.

i'd argue that there is no worthwhile first or third party games on ps4 or xbox yet and the third party games you can just get on current gen consoles, funny how it's subjective like that

I found it hilarious when sites/people were clamoring on that you should choose a Wii U instead of an X1/PS4.

I'd argue that the 1st party and third party offerings of the X1/PS4 right now demolish what games the Wii U already has. It's only going to get worse at this point by looking at the upcoming titles.
Well you'd be making a terrible argument.

As it stands right now Wii U has more "must-have" games than PS4 and XB1 combined. This isn't debatable.

Sakurai has demonstrated over the years he is great doing big projects because they turn out great, but he is rubbish at doing good schedules as always his games get delayed for one reason or another.
The 3DS version should NEVER have been in the plans. People who really now how making a game works now about this. It's not as easy as some people in the official thread always boast about, and try to lie about saying it was the original vision or some shit like that.

Like this:

What? The 3DS game was the first and only planned version until Iwata asked for a Wii U game. If anything, you owe the 3DS thanks.

This. All because it's 3DS people instantly call it inferior.

I want it on 3DS for its unique art style and portability. Couldn't care less for a Wii U version.

Please, were is this you are talking about. Show me the EXACT quote of Sakurai saying this, because every time this is sayed the original quote never appears.
And of course is inferior, and the worst thing is it's making the WiiU version even more inferior.

Rocky

Banned
Well you'd be making a terrible argument.

As it stands right now Wii U has more "must-have" games than PS4 and XB1 combined. This isn't debatable.

It most certainly is debatable. If the Wii U library was so "must-have" they'd be selling a whole helluva lot more consoles. As it stands now, the only gamers who think anything in the Wii-U library is a "must-have" are Nintendo diehard fans such as yourself.

It most certainly is debatable. If the Wii U library was so "must-have" they'd be selling a whole helluva lot more consoles. As it stands now, the only gamers who think anything in the Wii-U library is a "must-have" are Nintendo diehard fans such as yourself.
Thank you for drawing assumptions. I don't even own a Wii U nor a 3DS but I have enough sense to know a good game when I see it. Wii U has more of them than PS4 and XB1's ports, rehashes, and sports titles. Most of which are also available on current gen hardware.

Was the huge 2014 at the end of the E3 trailer not clear enough?

Some thought it wouldn't make it this year.

I thought it was obvious it would.

Anyway, I don't get the "OMG pathetic" posts, seemed like common sense that it wouldn't be released any time in the near future.

I'm speaking of not giving a shit about sales by the way but rather the quality of games like this and Mario Kart.

They both have a chance to be the best entry in their series especially because there are no signs they are being rushed.

-Horizon-

Sakurai will sweet talk a 3 month delay out of Iwata over a nice steak dinner.

"Iwata, how about pushing the release date a little further back?"

"But we need the game out this year!"

"...ok then, I guess you don't want this elixir of youth for your hair any more then"

"Fine fine you win Sakurai!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom