• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

eznark

Banned
Really looking forward to the Vita version next week.

How long I've waited for a full-featured sports game on a portable.

IiB56.jpg

It looks a lot better on screen but I think there is room for quite a bit of improvement. Some of these shots might turn some of you off.

Game play is definitely not at 60fps either. Still, I'm enjoying it. Just didn't WOW me like I was expecting.

Yea these Vita games in general look much better then screens, definitely picking up the Vita version.

I'd say this game looks better but it wasn't like the difference in screen for Uncharted. U:GA looks a lot better than the screenshots give it credit for. This game looks really good and is a notable improvement over the PSP version but it is nowhere near looking like the PS3 counterpart. Some of the character models really pop on the screen though.

KaYotiX

Banned
How has amazon not matched the pricing deal yet?

Some people had a problem with balks last year in the league. Pitch like a human and not like an automatic pitching machine and you'll have no problems.

Im waiting on a Amazon deal also.......

Purexed

Banned
Thanks for the screen caps. I was already iffy on the Vita version based on online performance questions, but now I'm officially on the fence until we get more vetting of this portable version.

PS3 version is looking stellar though, hopefully they improved the 3D.

bryehn

Having a kid in a few weeks, so I'm sticking with (just) the PS3 version. That dynasty card mode is right up my alley.

leca

Hopefully I didn't miss this question already.

Does MLB12 have an online pass for the PS Vita version?

I'm looking to import it as there is a pretty slim chance that this will even see an Australian release.

It's a massive deal breaker as the pass is region locked based on your account :(

Bog

Junior Ace
Best Buy seemed to have the full version for PS3 in its demo kiosk today. Thought it'd be a demo, but all options were selectable (including the aforementioned 10gb install, etc.)

Afrikan

Those screen shots look great to me, that being said I am reading this thread using my epic 4g..

Hmm 4"+ screen?....OLED? Seems like a better idea to judge those shots from here than a lcd monitor.

I wasn't expecting the PS3 level of visuals so I'm not sure why others would either. It's the first installment on a new system. As long as it plays well I'll be happy.

Hopefully I didn't miss this question already.

Does MLB12 have an online pass for the PS Vita version?

I'm looking to import it as there is a pretty slim chance that this will even see an Australian release.

It's a massive deal breaker as the pass is region locked based on your account :(

Yes it will.

Can someone who has the vita version take a screenshot on the default camera at Wrigley? PSP version of Wrigley was shit and I would lose the ball when a right-handed pitcher was pitching.

Purexed

Banned
I wasn't expecting the PS3 level of visuals so I'm not sure why others would either. It's the first installment on a new system. As long as it plays well I'll be happy.

Didn't expect PS3 level visuals, but I do expect consistent performance. That is still an unknown so far. FIFA on Vita is largely solid, but the frame skips on the replays and some stadiums bug the hell out of me.

Ah crap :(

DoctorWho can you confirm the copy you purchased has the online pass in the box that you had to redeem?

Maybe I can live without online play.....maybe.

If Hot Shots and Wipeout had it and it was announced that going forward last Summer, starting with Resistance 3, that all SCEA titles would have an online pass. What makes MLB 12 different? =P

Those screen shots look great to me, that being said I am reading this thread using my epic 4g...

The player's faces look hideous. Disappointing but shouldn't except more from launch sport sims, still gonna get it.

Dude it takes 5 mins to set-up a US account. Does it really matter that much if your trophies don't count towards your normal account?

leca

Dude it takes 5 mins to set-up a US account.

Indeed it does, and I have one. :)

Does it really matter that much if your trophies don't count towards your normal account?

I couldn't care less about the trophies, I'm not keen to be swapping memory cards/PSN accounts on the Vita just to play online/multiplayer and everything else the pass restricts you from.

It's not the end of the world though, I'm looking forward to getting a portable version of MLB and hearing impressions from those of you picking it up next week :D

Yes it does.
The game looks good but nowhere near as nice as I was expecting on the Vita. Still fun though.

Thank you for the confirmation! :)

DiddyBop

I long for the day Sony puts this much care and effort into a basketball game. You baseball fans are lucky, game sounds amazing.

Having a kid in a few weeks, so I'm sticking with (just) the PS3 version. That dynasty card mode is right up my alley.

From a new parent to a future parent, you'd be better off with the Vita version. It'll be much easier to get some time to play with a system that can be anywhere rather than a system that is tied to your TV.

alterno69

Banned
From a new parent to a future parent, you'd be better off with the Vita version. It'll be much easier to get some time to play with a system that can be anywhere rather than a system that is tied to your TV.

Seconded, i have a five year old and another one just a month old and the four of us basically spend most of of time at home in the same room which means either my wife is watching the tv or my 5 year old is.

Even when i have the chance to play, since the consoles are on the living room i chose to stay close to my wife to give her a hand with the baby.

SRTtoZ

Thanks for those Vita screens! From those I think ill go ahead and buy both since the PS3 seems to be the definitive version here, and for 20 more bucks, how can you not?? Cant wait til Tuesday!!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Played some of the Vita version tonight. When the camera pans around the stadium, the aliasing on the crowd doesn't look good. Stadium textures and players faces are disappointing. The game I played was at Atlanta, and the jumbotron displayed the same static image the whole time. Having said all that, the animations are fine and I forgot about the graphics after awhile and enjoyed a fun game of baseball. I just wasn't wow'd.

SRTtoZ

Played some of the Vita version tonight. When the camera pans around the stadium, the aliasing on the crowd doesn't look good. Stadium textures and players faces are disappointing. The game I played was at Atlanta, and the jumbotron displayed the same static image the whole time. Having said all that, the animations are fine and I forgot about the graphics after awhile and enjoyed a fun game of baseball. I just wasn't wow'd.

I know never to judge a game based on screens but from some of the Vita hands on so far it seems like they were making a PSP version and then halfway through development went "wait, we need to switch this to the Vita". Either that or they took the engine from the PSP version and just tried to improve based on that because the Vita can do much much much more than that.

I just tried playing the MLB 2K12 demo again. Holy shit is that game terrible.

There's not even a fucking net behind home plate.

SRTtoZ

I just tried playing the MLB 2K12 demo again. Holy shit is that game terrible.

There's not even a fucking net behind home plate.

The only thing that was bearable as a baseball game was MVP back in the day by EA, but the show is the best baseball series ive ever played.

demolitio

The only thing that was bearable as a baseball game was MVP back in the day by EA, but the show is the best baseball series ive ever played.

Agreed. I hope MVP returns if the license doesn't get renewed just for the poor souls that miss out on The Show. I used to play MVP back in the day and it was decent.

I know never to judge a game based on screens but from some of the Vita hands on so far it seems like they were making a PSP version and then halfway through development went "wait, we need to switch this to the Vita". Either that or they took the engine from the PSP version and just tried to improve based on that because the Vita can do much much much more than that.

That's what I get from playing it unfortunately. I still really like this game. The player models look great but some of the faces look lifted and up-rezzed from the PSP version.

I think this is the "transition" title for the series and we will get a much better looking entry next year. Anyone with a Vita knows what it's capable of so I'll let them pass on the graphical issues this year.

Either way, it's still the most impressive portable baseball game ever.

The 10 gig install on the PS3 version makes loading times lightning fast. Great option!

I'm back.

RTTS IS FAST with the 10 gigs installed!

Loading within a game is pretty much instant when they jump you from one play/fielding appearance to the next throughout the game. You barely see that "loading next appearance" screen. It lasts for half a second sometimes and you're back in the action!

Loading into an RTTS game is much improved as well. There's still an auto-save at the end of the game but that was even pretty fast too. Everything is really, really fast in RTTS.

This is huge news!

TriGen

I'm back.

RTTS IS FAST with the 10 gigs installed!

Loading within a game is pretty much instant when they jump you from one play/fielding appearance to the next throughout the game. You barely see that "loading next appearance" screen. It lasts for half a second sometimes and you're back in the action!

Loading into an RTTS game is much improved as well. There's still an auto-save at the end of the game but that was even pretty fast too. Everything is really, really fast in RTTS.

This is huge news!

That's megaton for me. I spend about 85% of my time in RTTS.

Dineren

Banned
Anyone have any tips on batting in these games? I hadn't played a baseball game in probably ten years when I picked up The Show 09 and I just could not get a hang of the batting no matter how much I played it. I've never had a better demonstration of how much worse I have gotten at gaming over the years than that.

I thought the presentation and graphics were great, but being unable to reliably hit a ball made it difficult to enjoy the rest of the game.

friz898

Those that have it for Vita, are the graphics really a step down from what we all expected or what? Some of you have me thinking that I better get it on the ps3 instead.

Top Bottom