• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

Sharp

Anyone have any tips on batting in these games? I hadn't played a baseball game in probably ten years when I picked up The Show 09 and I just could not get a hang of the batting no matter how much I played it. I've never had a better demonstration of how much worse I have gotten at gaming over the years than that.

I thought the presentation and graphics were great, but being unable to reliably hit a ball made it difficult to enjoy the rest of the game.
Sony SD usually gives pitchers on average 4-5 extra MPH and if you max the bar you can abuse it but you lose stamina faster + less control.

As for pitches, they go by scouting reports, and some are bad. Regarding pitches usually if you post on their thread about a pitcher missing a pitch in ShowNation.com they'll look to add in it a future patch/game.

How do you guys feel about hitting? I see a lot a zone hitters online and it drives me nuts, but then I see alot of rookies who really don't know how to hit. With that said, I'm not a good hitter (.210 playing at mostly HoF level). But I feel I put myself in a position to succeed most games.

My Keys To Hitting:

a) You will never get better w/o Practice: Whether it's RTTS or Practice Mode, use it. I've played since MLB 07 (MLB 09 was my first purchase) and what I used to do was take 200 swings a week (20 a hitter/10 hitters) with my smallest PCI batters via a pitcher with a good arsenal (AJ Burnett or Joba Chamberlain I liked to face). Why? If I made good contact with their small PCI's that same contact would be better with your better hitters' bigger PCI's. Da_Czar's vid made for a perfect reference, and this year Practice Mode is even more specialized to help you. Ironically, I don't use Practice mode anymore because of the next point.
b) Make a RTTS Hitter: Considering you start off in AA with dirt crap stats, if you're able to progress and level up your guy via hitting you must be doing a good job. Personally I feel the Default settings turn the pitchers into strikethrowing machines, so I use the tweaked Operation Sports sliders for my RTTS guy. There pitchers will actually try and throw bad pitches to hitters, and it forced me to learn the strike zone and stay patient.
c) Learn your opponent: Playing Online alot you'll run into alot of players who use less than reputable tactics... the Quickstealer, the Junkballer, and worst of all the Intentional Zone Sitter. A good way to hit is find out what the tactics of the opposing player are, and make him adjust. Guy spamming curves in the dirt? Make him elevate it by taking it. When you've got a few walks you force the pitcher to stay in the zone.
d) Make a gameplan: I'm patient to a fault and prefer to drive up pitch counts online and have pitchers tired by the 5th/6th inning because I trust my batting eye even behind in the count. However, I also know that pitchers adjust to that and the minute I get a 1st pitch fastball down the middle after taking it to 2-3 straight guys I'm crushing it. My feeling is this: You're going to strike out a ton in this game due to crappy camera angle anyway, if I can get 2 good swings an AB I'm happy. It's best to develop some kind of hitting philosophy based on the sum of your experiences.

Biggest point? LEARN THE STRIKEZONE AND MOVE YOUR PCI. Every player has their own personal zone. A simple press of L3 shows that and even on All-Star very few players have a PCI that covers the whole zone. Whether it's unintentional ("Lazy L-stick Thumb/Quick Button Thumb") or not, alot of times players never move their PCIs even on Power swings. So what most pitchers will do is work on/just off the corners, and you never really square up the ball unless it's a mistake pitch or Superb Timing. The difference between a liner in the gap and a hard chopper to the 2nd baseman can be moving your PCI a bit down on a sinker low.

Those that have it for Vita, are the graphics really a step down from what we all expected or what? Some of you have me thinking that I better get it on the ps3 instead.
Graphics on Vita version are very meh compared to what I was expecting. Crowds especially are horrendous. I'd go PS3 version if it's one or the other

Flunkie

Banned
Gonna be all over this on Vita, graphics be damned. Can't be worse than the PSP version..

I think this year I'm going to have a little fun and make a dynasty with all of the teams from my fantasy keeper league. I haven't played The Show since '10 for the most part, so I can set a custom dynasty (or season mode, I'll even take that) to have 14 teams in it, right?

Grabbing the Vita version when my older brother picks up the PS3 version. Baseball is far and away my favorite sport, but this will actually be my first foray into The Show. Never had much time for sports games, or any video game anymore for that matter.

Wow. Sorry to hear that bro. Hope The Show delivers for you.

Madtown_

I may pick this up for the first time in a few years, but like conrad, I don't have much time for games at all anymore; but that'll hopefully change after the semester.

Has the online lag gotten any better in the past few years? I'm sure everything else will be top-notch.

oatmeal

Banned
I skipped '11 after getting '10 late and knowing that '11 hadn't changed much.

Is this one worth it? I have put in hundreds of hours of RTTS, and I love the game. Is this one different enough from '10 to really make it worth it?

I may pick this up for the first time in a few years, but like conrad, I don't have much time for games at all anymore; but that'll hopefully change after the semester.

Has the online lag gotten any better in the past few years? I'm sure everything else will be top-notch.

No. 11 was just as bad as ever. However, they said they would be using dedicated servers for 12 to make it a better experience.

I skipped '11 after getting '10 late and knowing that '11 hadn't changed much.

Is this one worth it? I have put in hundreds of hours of RTTS, and I love the game. Is this one different enough from '10 to really make it worth it?
From what I've been reading, the new ball physics are somewhat of a game changer since hits seem less scripted.

Played the full PS3 game at Best Buy, omg am I ready. Hell Reyes hits an easy grounder to first and of course Fielder errors on it, so Prince seems ready too!

My favourite Trophy

King Slayer
Beat the team that is ranked first overall in the team select screen with Pitching and Batting difficulties set to Legend.

This one is for the Game of Thrones fans.

Any word on online play. Has it been improved? Or is hitting a baseball require precog abilities?

Can't play online yet. Online Pass codes aren't working. :/

My favourite Trophy

King Slayer
Beat the team that is ranked first overall in the team select screen with Pitching and Batting difficulties set to Legend.

This one is for the Game of Thrones fans.

Can't play online yet. Online Pass codes aren't working. :/

Damn. Hopefully you'll be able to soon.

SRTtoZ

That's what I get from playing it unfortunately. I still really like this game. The player models look great but some of the faces look lifted and up-rezzed from the PSP version.

I think this is the "transition" title for the series and we will get a much better looking entry next year. Anyone with a Vita knows what it's capable of so I'll let them pass on the graphical issues this year.

Either way, it's still the most impressive portable baseball game ever.

The 10 gig install on the PS3 version makes loading times lightning fast. Great option!

Yea I'm still gonna get it because MLB the show was always fun on PSP, so I can handle the step down in visuals especially since I'm getting the PS3 version too. Next year we should see the real Vita version IMO.

UberTag

Yea I'm still gonna get it because MLB the show was always fun on PSP, so I can handle the step down in visuals especially since I'm getting the PS3 version too. Next year we should see the real Vita version IMO.
It's a shame we have to wait a full year for it... the real FIFA on Vita will be here in October.
Frankly, I think SCE San Diego should have held off on releasing this until at least after spring training if it was going to turn out this substandard.

It's a shame we have to wait a full year for it... the real FIFA on Vita will be here in October.
Frankly, I think SCE San Diego should have held off on releasing this until at least after spring training if it was going to turn out this substandard.

I think they are bound by contractual terms with MLB to get the game out at a certain time. I could be wrong though.

As long as the graphics and the gameplay are a step up from PSP plus the crossover saves work as advertised, I'm good.

Dunan

IXbpJ.jpg

I can't get over the fact that while the creators of this series are perfectionists in so many ways, they still bugger up uniforms that don't have player names on the backs -- the leave a big ugly blank space at the top and shift the number way down.

This can't be that hard to get right. It's a huge turn-off if you're a traditionalist who likes uniforms that have only numbers on the backs.

San-Francisco-Giants-Authentic--2355-Tim-Lincecum-Home-Jerseys-cream-2905-96994.jpg

I can't get over the fact that while the creators of this series are perfectionists in so many ways, they still bugger up uniforms that don't have player names on the backs -- the leave a big ugly blank space at the top and shift the number way down.

As a uniform nitpicker myself, It hasn't gone unnoticed by me that they badly fuck up loads of uniforms all the time. Especially the throwbacks. I just throw my hands up and try my best to ignore it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hellz yeah, just ordered the Amazon deal! Props to them for doing it as well. Got'em both for $79.92 with release date delivery via Prime.

eznark

Banned

Substandard? PSP Show was the standard. I haven't heard anyone saying this is a step down. Just that it is an incremental step up.

I would have been furious if they delayed it. I certainly wouldn't have bought it in October.

Mrbob

Yeah, but my way is easier as you have direct access to adding them both right away! :D

PS- You didn't forget about Tales deal?

Is there any way for a digital-only dude like myself to get the combo PS3/Vita deal? Are there game-download cards or codes or anything similar that stores will be selling for the Vita?

JABEE

Got the Amazon deal and used my $20 credit from purchasing the Vita. Release Date shipping for both. Can't wait!

I just ordered both versions from Best Buy with in store pick up since I had a ton of credit there. Man it's going to be a long day and a half.

The big question for me with The Show is whether there is a quicker simulation/manager mode. A major gripe I've had with the Show in the past is that you have to invest hours in the game to get through it, or make major sacrifices in control of your team. I am sure that nobody wants to hear an MVP comparison, but something that MVP got right was the managing component of the game, where you could enter a decision-based 'manager' mode in your Franchise much like a simplified text simulation baseball game and get through a game in a few minutes.

While batting, the choices were simplified: Swing Away; If you had runners on, Steal or Hit & Run. While pitching, your choices were Pitch Normal, Pitch Around, Walk. You had substitutes.

After MVP went away, this manager mode was pretty much killed. 2K sports had one in one of their 2K games, but it was completely glitched and ruined by pitcher management. You were required to warm up pitchers, which was fine, but you couldn't change your pitcher settings (warming up, substituting, etc) while you were batting... So say if it was a tie game in the bottom of the 8th, and you took the lead with a HR with 0 outs while batting, you couldn't warm up your closer... You had to wait to be the pitching team before you could make a change. This basically sucked and ruined the mode. They didnt fix it after 2 years, so I gave up on that.

In the Show, they have "Simulation" which basically just simulates the game, then they have "Manager" mode which time-wise takes the sme amount of time as playing a regular game and you chose what you want your player to do on every pitch. It's basically the full game, but you don't pitch or swing, you tell your pitcher or batter what to do. TO me, this mode feels pretty irrelevant. It still takes .. ~40 minutes to get through a game.

So, sorry long protracted story to ask a simple question: Has *any* quick manager mode been added in the last few years?

Don't expect my Newegg $48 copy to show up for a few days after release. Was hoping I could try it out from Red Box, but, looks like they'll only have 2K12. Too bad.

First game on my Vita character's (starting pitcher) campaign has me going 5 innings with a perfect game only to end up being pulled with an arm injury. 60-day DL.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone think the $3.25 TIV on MLB 10: The Show on Amazon will go up anytime soon? Even if I get $10 credit for it that's still better than holding onto it for no reason since I plan on picking up 12.

turnbuckle

Picked up the bundle on Amazon. I'm completely fine with the graphics not being all that great on the Vita. It's a first version game on what was probably a truncated dev cycle that will be surely be corrected for the next iteration. This isn't really a good defense of it, but it's common and I expected it by now. I prefer to have a less than perfect version now than a better version in the fall or however long it'd take. Still going to be the best portable baseball game by a mile and that's all I really need. Sharing saved data with the PS3 just makes it a complete no-brainer. Can't wait :D

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Already found an odd scoring bug.

I was playing a Rockies vs. Braves game. Cuddyer popped out to Uggla to end the inning. For some reason, the game gave Uggla an error for it.

Mode8

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7vctqV0jYkA

My god... those ball physics. It saddens me this thread isn't getting more attention. Even if I wasn't a baseball fan I'd be absolutely blown away by what this game is doing. It should really be up there with the best when it comes to animations, visuals, and physics. It's just scary real at times.

More awesome ball physics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4jfjfub7gYI

I just hope the ball doesn't bounce off the bases three times a game just so they can showcase the awesome baseball physics.

Top Bottom