• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
this hurts so much.

the shirt I have on my back has the lineup for this years playoffs, and just within the last 2 days I can cover up a lot of it with sharpie :(

i'll cheer CC the first time... :(

Bread

Banned
jman2050 said:
Sox get a good player though I'm skeptical how his skillset will age going forward.

This is a terrible terrible contract though. Yankees-esque.
It really is, they overpaid and gave more years than I would have wanted. I'm not gonna complain though, this team will be ridiculously good.

jman2050

Lazy vs Crazy said:
I mean the guy has never hit 20 homers or 40 doubles. I just don't get it.

He's basically the poor man's Kenny Lofton, which isn't a bad thing really except no one in their right mind would pay Kenny Lofton in his prime $20 million.

And take away the ~15 steals he gets annually against the red sox catchers who are incapable of holding any runner and suddenly his speed looks a little less impressive.

Alo he's no Kenny Lofton, Lofton was an elite center fielder.

jman2050

Bread said:
It really is, they overpaid and gave more years than I would have wanted. I'm not gonna complain though, this team will be ridiculously good.

It really seems like the Red Sox are going all-in on 2011, which is weird because it goes against their nature.

I do like how these moves make it harder for idiots to deny that the Red Sox have become the Boston Yankees.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Frankman said:
Thought you guys hated McLouth, is there no one you can play in CF?
well he is still the best option if he bounces back, but yeah no one on the team currently would be very good in CF. We have a few minor league players but they can't hit. Its either Mclouth or Schafer, and schafer hasn't hit much against live pitching in about a year.

edit: we did recently sign Jose Constanza who was with the indians, he has good minor league numbers. No idea how good his glove is though. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=consta001jos

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Frankman said:
Thought you guys hated McLouth, is there no one you can play in CF?
Well, McLouth is a sunk cost to the tune of almost $8mm next year anyways. He'll probably be better than he was last year, and even if he isn't, the lineup can absorb his lack of production.

jman2050

Odds that Dave Cameron writes the Fangraph piece of why the Crawford contract is fair market value and how the Red Sox continue to be the most brilliant and dreamy non-Mariners organization in baseball?

2zixxsm.png

mYm|17| said:
That top of the lineup is gonna be some tough outs. They all grind out AB's
I wouldn't say Crawford does that, considering he has a below-average walk rate.

And I heard Francesa at 6 pm today saying the same thing with sauces saying Crawford was going to the Angels.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
AnEternalEnigma said:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2zixxsm.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's been a tough few days for Sources. At least they got that one about Sherill and the Braves right.

ATF487

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Carlos Beltran and 1877KARSFORKIDS.

wLgKq.jpg

Two things that sound like shit?

Hate hearing that commercial on sports radio, god DAMN

Happy to see the Sox opening up the checkbook, as much as I love Liverpool I thought that the Sox would start being a little more budget minded

Carl Crawford is now both the highest-paid outfielder and has the 9th biggest contract (although he'll be bumped down to #10 once the Adrian Gonzalez extension is announced) ever signed in MLB history...all without ever hitting more than 20 home runs in a season. The previous owner of baseball's highest contract without ever hitting 20 homers in a season was Ichiro, who signed a 5-year, $90 million deal with the Mariners on July 13, 2007.

Hahaha. The Nationals signing Jayson Werth really fucked everything up.

Mets interested in Hideki Okajima. If this means I can see his ridiculously hot wife then yes, sign him now.
Matt Cerrone said:
It’s a foolish deal. I mean, I don’t know how you can justify eventually paying $20 million to a 37-year-old, especially a guy who has made running such a huge part of his game.
Tell me how you really feel Matt. :lol

jman2050

Now we've got posters at SOSH calling Carl Crawford a HOF-caliber player and one dude trying to make an indirect comparison to Roberto Clemente :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Zep

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
So what's the deal? Sox going to play Mike Cameron off the bench? That stinks for him.

Im hoping Rube is paying attention and gives it a shot. I can live with him and Francisco while Dom gets a little more experience under his belt.

TheFatOne

The more I think about this deal the more I feel like this is a panic move by the Red Sox. There is no way in hell Crawford is worth that kind of money. What a stupid ass contract.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports identifies the Red Sox as one of the "mystery teams" who made a seven-year bid for Lee. However, they didn't offer enough money for Lee to realistically consider accepting. Rather, the proposal was about increasing Lee's leverage with other teams and trying to force the Yankees to add an extra year.

Hah! What a bunch of assholes, if true.

NomarTyme

tyguy20204 said:
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports identifies the Red Sox as one of the "mystery teams" who made a seven-year bid for Lee. However, they didn't offer enough money for Lee to realistically consider accepting. Rather, the proposal was about increasing Lee's leverage with other teams and trying to force the Yankees to add an extra year.

:lol :lol :loloh man if they sign Lee..

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
tyguy20204 said:

I love yankee/red sox shit sometimes :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom