• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't see anyone complaining about unreasonable spending, I'm skimming through this thread and finding nothing. :lol

No Yankee fan was all like "OMG THEO DESTROYING THE MARKET!!1" so I don't know what you're trying to say

specifically:

Present day = OMG unreasonable spending. Fuckers. FUCKERS!

For the record I'm glad boy wonder opened the purse strings. The rivalry is more fun that way.

Celsior

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
He just made a comment on Cashman's unreasonable spending. If that isn't sarcasm I don't know what is.
Cashman spends like money is going out of style.
I am just tired when Sox's fans and GM complaining about how the Yanks spend there money when the Sox's have the money to sign these people to the same deals.

Good for you guys for spending money, but I am tired of bitching you guys do when the yanks sign anyone

The only people complaining about unreasonable spending:

- are people who don't have the money
- are people who do have the money, but pocket it as profit instead of fielding a baseball team

Any team that can offer 100M+ contracts forfeits the right to complain about spending for time immemorial. That means basically everyone except the notorious cheapskates and firesalers - the Padres, Marlins, Rays, Pirates, Royals, etc.

Fuck that discussion. Can we get back to discussing the WHATTHEFUCK potential Red Sox lineup, and how it will be dealt with? Can we get back to discussing our beautiful, perfect game of baseball that we obsess over so much that we're talking about that shit year-round?

Red Sox rotation is:

Beckett
Lester
Lackey
Buchholz
Matsuzaka

All of these guys except for Buchholz and Lester sucked last year. I would like to believe that's not an anomaly. I would like to believe that Red Sox-Age feels similarly, too. What say you, Sux-Age? What's good with your rotation?

The hell are we talking about?

I'm pissed about the Red Sox because they're going to be frightening. I'm not complaining about who they sign. Only bitches whine about other team's signings.

Sanjuro

I'm not bothered at all that you guys spend money. Not at all. More when people say the Sox = Yankees. We are normally top five in spending sure, but the Yankees are still in their own universe. You gents bank much more on stadium revenue and directly put it right back into the team.

Celsior

Red Sox's probably have a better offense right now, if it stays healthy.
If the yanks get Lee, we would have the better starters and bullpen.
The Sox's pen sucked last year other then Bard.

Yanks still need to sign a DH
Who is out there?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You guys can debate the merits of spending quarter billion dollars on a new first baseman and a new left fielder all you want.

I have my Frenchy and my Melky (around $4M combined) to comfort me.

Celsior said:

Who is out there?

I think the Yankee DH is going to be Posada for most of the year.

h3ro

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I combine the over reactions. Not like they treat me any differently. Deep down all of them have WFAN type instinct.

How dare you. I'm way more Kellerman than Fattycessa.

You guys are dropping bombs. I'm loving it. Let's do this. :D

Don't act like you guys aren't right there with us when it comes to the money because you are. Not a fan of this "whoa is me, big bad yankee money scares me" sawx fan attitude. Y'all got the resources, about time you started spending it and acting like it. Let the hate from the peasants consume you.

I want Lee already. Hurry up Cash.

Celsior said:

Who is out there?

Yankees offense is better:
- if A-Rod and Tex are healthy all season long and hit the way they always do. You can't fuck with .280 to .300, 30 to 40HR, 90 to 120 RBI, .370+ OBP that is strong against any pitching type in that heart of the order.
- if the Granderson that plays in 2011 is more like the second-half and playoffs Grandy than the first half one. Long fixed that swing, and it was right from about mid-July on. It needs to stay that way.
- if Jeter bounces back and proves that last year was an anomaly. I feel personally that Jeter played hurt all year since for much of it Posada, Rodriguez, Swisher and Teix were out...so he wanted to gut it out to help the team stay in the hunt in a tough year.
- if Cano and Gardner are legitimately the hitters they were last year. Cano seemed to learn how to hit with RISP and how to take pitches. Gardner learned to take what pitchers gave him the other way. If these weren't flukes, that's huge.

Red Sox offense is better:
- if Ortiz is really back. He was pretty much finished in 2009, and he seemed reborn in 2010. If Ortiz is actually back to Ortiz, that is a problem for the AL BEast.
- if Drew has one more year in him. He, like Ortiz is aging and I wonder how much of that bat is left.
- if they stay healthy. Ortiz, Drew, Cameron, Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Youkilis all missed a lot of time last season. If they're all nicked up again, the power of that offense can't really get going.
- if Gonzalez can adjust to tougher AL pitching. A-Gon is a monster, but the AL East is straight fucking gangsta.

Red Sox pen is hot trash, but I don't expect Theo will let that remain a problem for the entire season. Yankee pen is still strong, but they need for Logan to not be a fluke, one more long man/mopup guy (since Aceves and Moseley are gone) and they need for Chamberlain to bounce back to be the 8th inning stopper since Wood is gone.

jman2050

talisayNon said:
Giving Lee 7 years is so pathetic. This team is going to suck ass 2 years from now when 1 of Lee or Sabathia get hurt. The good news is I'm sure the Steinbrenner's are going to pay their way out of this one -- we'll probably see this payroll closer to 300 million than 200 in the next 4 years.

Please stop posting and go away.

We lost Pendleton and Kontos to rule 5...two bullpen candidates for this year.

btw, the Yankee pen sucks. Aceves is gone, leaving you with..Robertson and xFIP superstar Joba and Mo. Good lord.

jman2050 said:
Please stop posting and go away.

:lol enjoy watching old declining overpaid team in 3 years :lol :lol :lol :lol

jman2050

talisayNon said:
We lost Pendleton and Kontos to rule 5...two bullpen candidates for this year.

btw, the Yankee pen sucks. Aceves is gone, leaving you with..Robertson and xFIP superstar Joba and Mo. Good lord.

Please stop posting and go away

I'm pretty much resigned to Chamberlain being a hot mess. Really hope beyond reasonable hope they manage to keep Wood somehow, but he'll probably close somewhere.

eznark

Banned
What the fuck, the Orioles took a Brewers pitcher in the Rule 5. His highest pro level? A ball. Good to see they are willing to totally waste a roster spot like that.

Worrying about the team getting old and sucking at some point is a waste of time - the team cannot win every year, all the time...it just can't. The A-Rod contract is stupid, but we got a ring in part due to it...same for the Burnett deal. If A-Rod breaks down in 2 years and we're stuck with him for 4 terrible years, whatever; it was going to happen whether he was making 10M/year or 30M/year. We'll have to grind it out and deal with it until we get to dredge him off...the benefit of that is that we will also eventually run into a free agency year ala 2009 where suddenly, a fuckload of money is off the books and we can go and rebuild accordingly.

I hate that right now, the Yankees have Sabathia, Burnett, Rodriguez, Teixeira (and probably Lee soon) making long-term, epic money...but that's only 5 guys out of 25 that are on the roster. Jeter, Posada, Rivera will not hamstring the team contractually. Swisher and Granderson are on very affordable contracts that we control. Gardner, Robertson, Hughes and Cano are all good through like 2014 - and by that time, we'll have more than enough money to pay them whatever they want. We're fine, we'll always contend, and if we don't we'll rebuild with our talent in the minors and FAs in the majors.

Sack up; it's the motherfucking New York Yankees.

h3ro

We need to maximize the results we get in the next three years. Why? Because these are the only three years we'll have one advantage no other team has. Mo.

Even though he's come slightly back down to earth, he's still an advantage we enjoy over nearly every other team in baseball. We have to go for it now because after that, we'll be an aged team that won't have an anchor at the end of games.

Pay the man, Cash. Pay the man.

captmcblack said:
- if Gonzalez can adjust to tougher AL pitching. A-Gon is a monster, but the AL East is straight fucking gangsta.
Dude he's coming from the NL west. The AL East, minus the red sox who he will obviously not be facing, does not have significantly better pitching than the NL West.

I mean,

Lincecum
Cain
Jiminez
Webb
Kershaw
Sanchez

Not a bad division for pitching.

Doytch

The AL East teams have good rotations #1-5 (or 4). Only team in the NL West that I'd say that about is SF. The rest is a jumble of hodgepadres and #2 starters called Padilla.

jman2050

Also I love the stupid spiel from Yankees fans about how the Yankees should suddenly be fiscally responsible or they may be up the creek four years from now.

You're fans of a team that unabashedly overpays free agents to field the best team available and have done so for ages now. It's one thing to complain about signing the WRONG free agents, circa 2005 and around there, but if the Yankees spend a gajillion dollars on Cliff Lee don't go crying and whining as if you're ashamed about it. Total bullshit.

Celsior

If the Yanks do not get Lee it is not the end of the world especially if Pet comes back.

The Yanks would need to have a young pitcher or two step up though.

Letting youth develop is very good sometimes, look at Gardner and Cano.
If anything happens in the future it would be A-rod becomes the DH, Jeter does the Cal Jr and moves to 3B, LF, 2nd and CF are young, RF is open come next year, and 1B is an easy position so Tex's ages doesn't matter.

Only thing the Yanks have to worry about in the future is Catcher(which we have plenty of young guys for), RF(dime in a dozen), and SS(do they have any good farm prospects?).

Yanks seem to have good young pitching, just need to see who develops.
So back end starters, SS and closer seems to be the only positions at question.

Doytch

Real Talk: The Rangers should let the Yankees back truckloads of money onto Lee's front lawn for seven years, ship off Young for something, sign Beltre, and trade for Nolasco.

Joe

I literally don't care at all about the $$$$ part of it all, it's the years that bothers me. Burnett's 5 year contract still haunts me, and I'll probably be SMH for years 5, 6, and 7 of Lee's contract.

Only part of Jeter's negotiation and contract that bothered me was that damn 4th year option. You better not use it Derek!

h3ro

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I do like how Red Sox / Yankees are going toe to toe in signings.

Tex = AGon

Granderson = Crawford

Jeter = Pesky

Don't make me get in my GT5 Delorean and tell Nomar to sign that extension.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
this red sox/yankees argument about who is the bigger spender is hilarious. The braves payroll is around 88-89 million, about half of what either of those teams are. And the braves payroll is about in the middle too. :lol
jakncoke said:
lol wat no.. this is not a good decision.. BOO! :lol
Kawakami isn't that bad. He just need damn run support. He can put up a era of 4.00 which would be above average.

Macattk15

Sigh. Miguel Olivo. Granted the M's catchers are HORRIBLE though. Hope this goes better than his first stint in Seattle ...

MisterNugNug said:
Miguel Olivo is back in Seattle on a two year 7 million dollar deal. Wow, what the hell is going on in the M's front office. Seriously?

I'm guessing his stints with the Royals and Rockies made the M's front office hope he can do the same in Seattle, which I would be fine with ... because let's face it ... FUCK Rob Johnson ... and Moore doesn't seem like he can hit ML Pitching.

jakncoke

Banned
Windu said:
this red sox/yankees argument about who is the bigger spender is hilarious. The braves payroll is around 88-89 million, about half of what either of those teams are. And the braves payroll is about in the middle too. :lol

Kawakami isn't that bad. He just need damn run support. He can put up a era of 4.00 which would be above average.

Well Pirates certainly aren't ones to provide that lol, but I was looking at his age, 35!

Romero, Cecil and Morrow will still shutdown the Yanks and Sox while Bautista hits another 50 homeruns and Hill/Lind won't suck this year

Macattk15 said:
Sigh. Miguel Olivo. Granted the M's catchers are HORRIBLE though. Hope this goes better than his first stint in Seattle ...

He's a dead pull hitter though...

I mean one year I can understand, but two years?

Macattk15 said:

I'm guessing his stints with the Royals and Rockies made the M's front office hope he can do the same in Seattle, which I would be fine with ... because let's face it ... FUCK Rob Johnson ... and Moore doesn't seem like he can hit ML Pitching.

I was kind of hoping they'd take a look at Russell Martin. He may be broken beyond repair, but I have this gut feeling he's going to have a comeback year and at least be respectible instead of godawful/looks like he's 38 instad of 28.

Could have probably gotten him on a one year deal for money similar to Olivo.

MisterNugNug said:
He's a dead pull hitter though...

I mean one year I can understand, but two years?

I really don't understand some of the big time outrage going on throughout the mariners blogosphere, 3.5 million a year is like 4% of the team's budget. It's a 1 win player getting 1 win type of money. Not a big deal at all.

bigtroyjon said:
I really don't understand some of the big time outrage going on throughout the mariners blogosphere, 3.5 million a year is like 4% of the team's budget. It's a 1 win player getting 1 win type of money. Not a big deal at all.

I think people are afraid that these are the same types of moves (for the bats) that were made last year that led to a historically awful year offensively and think that a repeat of that is in the cards unless Jack Z pulled Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez out of his ass. And to be honest I share a lot of those concerns. The offense is probably going to be bad again unless Dustin Ackley is called up and becomes the 2B version of Buster Posey.

Macattk15

Ninja Scooter said:
I think people are afraid that these are the same types of moves (for the bats) that were made last year that led to a historically awful year offensively and think that a repeat of that is in the cards unless Jack Z pulled Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez out of his ass. And to be honest I share a lot of those concerns. The offense is probably going to be bad again unless Dustin Ackley is called up and becomes the 2B version of Buster Posey.

I don't care if they are bad this year BECAUSE I know they are going to be bad this year. Olivo essentially means I never see Rob Johnson again and I'm fucking elated at that. As bigtroy said, $3.5m is not a lot of money. The M's still have some money to sign some busted budget ass starter (or maybe they'll just try to rely on Bedard).

I'm not going to be excited about the Mariners ever again in the offseason until they prove something on the field, it just always leads to severe disappointment.

I do look optimistically to 2014 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom