• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Free agency y'all!

Lets see how angry the Mets make me this year.

Corran I might need some gifs.

PZRL1AH.gif

zZp2hYJ.gif

Sounds are the Cards lining up for a Donaldson trade? Chatter in St. Louis that there has been discussions on him as a target.

That's the first I've heard about it. You got a link?

I'm not surprised at it though, I wonder if Shapiro is seeing EE and Joey Bats leaving as a roundabout way of starting a rebuild or a way to restock the farm.

I imagine the Jays set a high ransom though, considering A: their farm system is pretty much decimated, with all their good prospects still too low, or already here. and B: your dealing with one of the best, if not the best, 3B in the AL and possibly in the league.

bgbball31

Congrats, Cubbies. Hopefully next year is our year.

I know this will largely be ignored, but here's what I wrote to make myself feel better about last nights loss. It's not very good, but it helped me cope:

Before 3-1 was a thing, before Twitter exploded, when Facebook was in its comparative infancy, and before memes seemed to take over the world, there was the 2007 ALCS.

On October 16, 2007, the Indians took a 3-1 lead in the ALCS over the eventual world champions of the year, the mighty beards of the Boston Red Sox. This was our year. The lineup almost as powerful a lineup as we had in the 90’s when we were the central division juggernauts, with a 1-2 punch of a pitching staff with crafty vets to complete our team and one of the top closers in the game. This was the year to break end year of suffering. This was the year to rid the demons on the shores of Lake Erie. And we had it in our grasp.

The ALCS that year was considered the de facto World Series. The Colorado Rockies had hit a suddenly hot streak to get there in a down NL year, and the Indians and Red Sox were the teams everyone expected them to be. So with one more win, we assumed we would have an easy run through the next 4-5 games and the trophy would be home. And yet, we just couldn’t get there.

3 games later, the Indians were going home, losers of the ALCS 4-3, and it wasn’t ever even close, with scores of 7-1, 12-2, and 11-2. We then watched the Red Sox go on to do what we thought we would be able to do, sweep the Rockies in four games to take home their second title of the decade. I distinctly remember a shot of Victor Martinez up on the railing at Fenway Park as it was evident that the game was out of reach, and I started tearing up. It felt like that was our best shot, and that the years of turmoil would continue forever.

After this one though, no tears were shed. 2016 is not 2007. Or even 1995 or 1997, for that matter. And no one should ever argue it is.

On October 29, 2016, the Indians took a 3-1 lead over the Chicago Cubs in the World Series, and it felt like it, finally, 19 years after Jose Mesa, we would get our rings. 4 days later we went home losing a 3-1 series again, with another cursed team celebrating on our field. But this time, we weren’t supposed to be here. This wasn’t the power lineup of the 90’s and mid 2000’s. We were missing our MVP candidate who finished 3rd in voting in 2014. We were missing our #2 and #3 starters in Danny Salazar and Carlos "Cookie" Carrasco, who we lost within two weeks of one another in September, one on the 9th and the next on the 17th due to injuries. This team was expected to lose to Boston. They were expected to lose to Toronto. And they were certainly expected to lose to the Cubs, with their $200 million payroll and MLB leading 103 wins.

This was a team whose own beat writer, Paul Hoynes, wrote them off on September 18th, the day after losing Carlos Carrasco, a pitcher in the Cy Young discussion at points this season. Hoynes had a dip in the lake for being wrong on that one, but many other probably should have joined him, as he just said what most of the world was thinking. And yet here we are, fresh off a blown 3-1 lead in the World Series, sitting once
again just short of the precipice of greatness.

Speaking of 3-1, this series will inevitably be compared to a certain NBA finals series this year, but those comparisons are not quite apt. Like the 2007 series, the Warrior were supposed to be there. They set the record for most wins in an NBA season. They were coming off a championship the year before. They had the star breaking his own 3-point record by over 100. And they only lost their third best player for a game and a half over something he could have controlled (his temper). Not quite comparable to losing two of a team’s best starting pitchers for three whole series due to injuries.

In a post-season when we were without our best pitchers, our remaining pitchers stepped up to the point where the team became defined by its dominant pitching, along with Francona's Hall of Fame securing use of them. This team was the ultimate frontrunners when they had to be. Get an early lead, the ride out the rest of the game with the bullpen to save the starters, since we needed the three of them at every turn. When that failed in game 5 and 6 in the World series, it seemed as though a 5-1 deficit in game 7 was insurmountable. Insert the offense.

Our hitters had been clutch in close games in the postseason, but wholly unremarkable for the most part. And yet, down 4 runs early, and 3 runs late, our bats came alive to tie the game and give us a chance even with the over-used arms in the bullpen finally getting hit, something that was inevitable. In this game, everyone gave it their all, and we got to watch one of the best games of all time because of it.

Cleveland has been defined by failures in the past. We all know them and those of us in the area can name them by heart. The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, Jose Mesa, The Decision, and the list could go on. But that’s not how this series, this game, or especially this team should be remembered. This time, we’re not going to wallow in our defeat, but stand up and be proud that we were in position to shock the world. This time,
we dictate the story.

This is the new Cleveland.

Congrats on the victory, Cubbies. Hope to see you next year. Let’s make this an annual fall meeting.

I have been looking around, apparently Jays are looking at people like Brandon Moss, Josh Reddick, Dexter Fowler, hell, even Colby Rasmus a second time.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/free-agent-market-primed-help-blue-jays-achieve-off-season-goals/

But John Morosi says that the Jays could use Pillar as trade bait.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/morosi-blue-jays-use-kevin-pillar-trade-bait/

It would be great to see Pillar traded. I'd have to throw a party if it happens.

BFIB

That's the first I've heard about it. You got a link?

I'm not surprised at it though, I wonder if Shapiro is seeing EE and Joey Bats leaving as a roundabout way of starting a rebuild or a way to restock the farm.

I imagine the Jays set a high ransom though, considering A: their farm system is pretty much decimated, with all their good prospects still too low, or already here. and B: your dealing with one of the best, if not the best, 3B in the AL and possibly in the league.

I couldn't find one. But doing a trade like that is a high cost. Pillar maybe?

There was a comment on Sportlogos from a user about how the Jacksonville Suns changed their name to the Jumbo Shrimp. How the history of some minor league teams is rapidly disappearing in order to cash in on a quick shot of notoriety.

The comment in question:

This precisely illustrates something that has been really disappointing to me in minor league baseball recently. It is a contagion. The change from a longstanding, known (and normal) minor league team name to a ridiculous name.

Jacksonville Suns has roots back to the 1960s. An established minor league name and brand.

How can we take this seriously with this new name and logo? Yes, it is real cute. This logo is perfect for a children's book. What used to be good April Fool's Day joke names are now becoming real - much to my dismay.

I couldn't find one. But doing a trade like that is a high cost. Pillar maybe?

The thing is, the Jays have very precious little that they can safely give away. The only other players that would be worth a damn that you could throw in is Osuna and Stroman, but both of them key into the plans of the team going into the future.

What do the Cards have that would be even remotely interesting to the Jays?

BFIB

Were heavy on pitching depth. My guess is there.

Cards announce three more years of Mathenyging.

BFIB

Exercised their option on Jaime Garcia also (12 million). Too bad his shitty 2016 probably tanked his trade value
His history is good, when healthy. I think there's going to be interest, but losing Duke, this could be his new role.

Malo

Banned
So the White Sox want Sanchez, Judge, Sheffield, Frazier, and Mateo for Sale. They might as well ask for Torres and Bird as well.

Whoever trades for Sale is going to have a barren farm system after.

So the White Sox want Sanchez, Judge, Sheffield, Frazier, and Mateo for Sale. They might as well ask for Torres and Bird as well.

Whoever trades for Sale is going to have a barren farm system after.

Have the Sox said if they are for sure wanting to trade Sale or is this just wishful thinking?

Beckx

$12m is basically nothing for even an average SP in 2016.

"'What is more money than Robert Nutting is willing to pay,' Alex?"

I fully expect Bucs to fail to resign Nova. Spring 2017 rotation will begin with Cole, Taillon, Glasnow, and reclamation projects held together with hope and prayer.

BFIB

Cards will not offer a QO to Moss. Are also expected to formally decline Hollidays option, even though that's already been announced.

Alright now that the Cubs got that curse outta the way, time for the Giants to come back and win it all next year! :)

Sign Melancon/Jansen please.

J2 Cool

Simmons podcast reminded me of the call I couldn't handle. Joe Buck bringing up the domestic abuse case moments before Davis' homerun, after not bringing it up the entirety of the series. Just such an opportunistic move by Buck aimed at the Cubs fanbase.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom