• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017-2018 Offseason |OT| 29 teams waiting till next year

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Welcome losers.

aa9qP6m.gif
aa9qP6m.gif

Dates:

• Free agency: As of 9 a.m. ET the day after the World Series ends, all eligible players will become free agents. There is then a five-day period where teams can submit qualifying offers. Once that five-day window has passed and most players who were tendered qualifying offers reject them, free agency is truly free.
  • General manager meetings: The front offices will get together Nov. 13-16 in Orlando. Expect to hear about pace of play, extended netting and many other housekeeping type matters.
  • Winter meetings: Dec. 10-14, the annual Winter Meetings take place in Orlando. Sometimes it's a hot bed of player movement and others it's over-hyped, but we definitely need to pay attention.

Free Agents:

• The pitchers: There's Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta in terms of frontline starters. Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb figure to hit big paydays as well. Some others: Andrew Cashner, CC Sabathia, Jaime Garcia, Jeremy Hellickson and John Lackey (if he doesn't elect retirement).
  • The closers: There's one big-name closer to hit free agency and it's Wade Davis. Fernando Rodney and Matt Belisle are also going to be available. Some setup names: Addison Reed, Pat Neshek, Luke Gregerson, Jake McGee, Tony Watson and Juan Nicasio.
  • The Royals: Former Royals are on the block as well, with Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain likely to cash in pretty big.
  • The big bats: Other bats available will be J.D. Martinez, Jay Bruce , Carlos Santana, Zack Cozart, Todd Frazier and Neil Walker. There's some depth here, too, especially among players toward the end of their career, such as Curtis Granderson, Matt Holliday, J.J. Hardy, Carlos Beltran and Jose Bautista. Jon Jay, Carlos Gomez, Carlos Gonzalez, Eduardo Nunez, Eric Sogard, Howie Kendrick, Logan Morrison, Alex Avila, Jonathan Lucroy and several others could be impact players as well.
  • Options: The Pirates have a $14.5 million club option on Andrew McCutchen and if they don't pick it up, he'll be a free agent. He's really the only big name where there's a question. Players like Chris Sale, Madison Bumgarner, Greg Holland and Craig Kimbrel have club options that will undoubtedly be picked up while many others (Hardy and Bautista, to name two) are obviously not going to be exercised. The Indians won't be getting Michael Brantley's $12 million option, in all likelihood, so we can probably add him to the list of free agents.
  • Opt-out: Opt-outs
    Back in late August, my colleague Mike Axisa took a great look at some of the interesting opt-out clause decisions looming. We could be adding the likes of Johnny Cueto, Masahiro Tanaka and Justin Upton to the free agent class.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lack of Otani in the OP smh.

Heard some rumors the Rays might be interested in signing him LOL. Its nice to dream I guess. Might as well spend big on a guy who will be your best pitcher and hitter

Beckx

Lack of Otani in the OP smh.

Well, here's my post from the old dead thread this am:

So today Shohei Ohtani had what is likely his last NPB start for a long time. He also batted clean up (something that has not happened in the Pacific League (which has the DH) in a long, long time).

Complete game shutout, 2h allowed, 10K, hit 162 kmh on the gun. Also had a hard hit single that nearly killed Buff's ace Kaneko.

Highlights here: http://tv.pacificleague.jp/vod/pc/topics/TFP/23815 (filthy, filthy slider)

nnex

Neo Member
176 days until opening day. What do you all want to see your teams do this offseason (other than signing Ohtani, haha)?

Say hi to the CBS Sports crew for us, OP.

Beckx

Are you insinuating GK86 is not colleagues with Mike Axisa???? lol

Do the Bucs pick up Cutch's option and keep him, pick it up and trade him, or let him go? My bet is on Nutting not wanting to risk being out that much money, but NH will try to convince him to go the trade route. I hope good things happen for Cutch regardless.

I know the Royals are looking at pitching, bench, assistant hitting and bullpen coaches since Eiland, Wakamatsu, Buchanan and Henry are gone.

I doubt the Royals are going to sign much more players unless they are really cheap players since so much of the payroll is going to players like Gordon and Kennedy (who obviously won't opt-out). Most of the replacements are probably going to be prospects in the minors since we're pretty much in rebuild mode.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
176 days until opening day. What do you all want to see your teams do this offseason (other than signing Ohtani, haha)?

CBS paid me in hot dogs with ketchup to put it in the OP.

nnex

Neo Member
Do the Bucs pick up Cutch's option and keep him, pick it up and trade him, or let him go? My bet is on Nutting not wanting to risk being out that much money, but NH will try to convince him to go the trade route. I hope good things happen for Cutch regardless.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I think they pick up the option and see where the team is at next July. It would be really tough to swallow a scenario where they won't pay Cutch, but Mercer and Sean Rod get around $5 to 6m each.

Malo

Banned
Offseason wishlist:

Trade Ellsbury (eat half of his contract if necessary)
Trade Starlin Castro for pitching
Sign CC to a one or two year deal
If Tanaka opts out, don't resign him
Try to bring back the todd father on a short term deal
Oh and sign Otani

3N16MA

Banned
Holland's option is actually a player option that vested once he hit 50 appearances. He can opt to accept a salary of 15M for 2018 or become a FA.

Malo

Banned
George A. King III

Today is Gary Denbo's last day with Yankees. He is joining the Marlins as the director of player development and amateur scouting.

Damn you, Jeter.

Tall4Life

George A. King III

Today is Gary Denbo's last day with Yankees. He is joining the Marlins as the director of player development and amateur scouting.

Damn you, Jeter.

Hope you're ready for the Yankees to have the worst record in the league next season, then.

stn

I'd be interested in Boston giving Carlos Santana a look depending on his price. If not that, then stay put.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Heyman writes:

Brad Ausmus, who was let go by the Detroit Tigers following their last-place finish, is on the radar of the New York Mets and is in fact said to be a candidate to replace Terry Collins. The Mets have reached out to Ausmus and they've had one conversation to date.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Twins need two starters and two bullpen arms. I feel like I've been saying this almost every year for a decade but hey. Maybe this is the year.

Tall4Life

Really, our only hole is power hitting. If we can get that we'll be ok. Would maybe help to build up the strength of our starting pitchers as well, Sale is clearly suffering from some form of extreme fatigue/weakness since he's been consistently lackluster in September/now October. It really can't be a mental thing at this point, he should maybe be built up.

Building up stuff like our bullpen and all would be nice as well, but those two are our biggest issues.

Mortemis

Banned
Welp, time to hype myself up on getting Ohtani so I can get my hopes crushed later.

I don't expect a lot of turnover from the Ms as the last two years. Unless they start overpaying for free agents I don't see us getting better.

Beckx

Anyone else going to be following the Climax Series?

Of course, even though Fighters aren't there, bleh. Anyone but Softbank in the PL, rooting for the Carp overall I guess. Though it would be cool to see Ramirez and the Baystars pull a miracle.

mdubs

Banned
Of course, even though Fighters aren't there, bleh. Anyone but Softbank in the PL, rooting for the Carp overall I guess. Though it would be cool to see Ramirez and the Baystars pull a miracle.

Sadly I am cheering for Softbank and apparently Yanagita is doubtful to return. Bleh.

Beckx

Sadly I am cheering for Softbank and apparently Yanagita is doubtful to return. Bleh.

I mean, not like you don't have the most ridiculous lineup in league anyway, haha. I see zero hope for Seibu or Rakuten. I really am excited to watch those two play though, I haven't seen many Rakuten games but their young OF Louis Okoye is a joy to watch, he was electric at Koshien 2015.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hmm, time to off myself. Maybe I'll be resurrected by opening day.

So much horseshit in that game, can't comprehend it.

Top Bottom