• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

It's possible the fight was announced prematurely without any bout agreements signed and contract issues popped up.

The UFC does have the tendency of allowing the media to inform fighters who they're fighting next.

If Khabib agreed to a sooner date then the guy really is just gonna miss weight again or be severely depleted for the fight. Yeah, Kevin Lee will probably be in the card as a back up.

Fox318

"Lift this giant tire with my back in quick snatching motions? I don't know guys, I don't think that sounds right."
9JOf1nv.gif

zewone

AKAs a sinking ship. It would be smart to jump ship.

Of course in martial arts, a lot of emphasis is put on loyalty rather than what's best for your career.

Woodley owns an ATT branded gym in Missouri so it isn't that easy.

When Luke wins he isn't going back to AKA.

Woodley's gym was still under construction when he started training with Roufusport, iirc.

I don't see any evidence of Luke leaving or wanting to leave AKA. They're one of the top teams with high level athletes. I doubt Luke is leaving them. He is very close with the top guys.

TheCool69

Neo Member
For some reason this 🗿 vs Verhoeven match has been on my mind for the whole day.

Its just so pointless.

And to top the shit sandwich i just saa this interview with Silvas manager.

But Silva’s doing it anyway, and for reasons that are as old as the fight game.

For one, he thinks he can win. According to Davis, “Bigfoot” is back on testosterone-replacement therapy, which he used somewhat controversially for a time in the UFC, before the practice was effectively banned.

Now, fighting in places like Russia and China, and for organizations whose anti-doping policies are notably less stringent, he’s free to resume the use of synthetic testosterone, which makes “a huge difference” for him, Davis said.

“And also he needs money,” Davis said. “He can’t turn down fights at the moment for that reason. If it was up to me, he would not take this fight. But at the end of the day, my job is to inform him, give him my advice, and the one who has to make the final decision is him.”

And just to cap of this sadness here is a grim reality of what is waiting him in the future.

It was the same with Gary Goodridge, another MMA fighter who turned to kickboxing later in his career. He lost about twice as many kickboxing bouts as he won, but his appeal for promoters was that, when you booked “Big Daddy,” you knew someone would get knocked out – even if the someone was usually him.

For Goodridge, those years of damage contributed to brain trauma that eventually left him unable to remember conversations moments after they’d ended. By the evening, he couldn’t tell you what he’d done during the afternoon.

But Goodridge also needed the money. Even when he knew he shouldn’t fight anymore, he was a man in his forties with no real work history outside of cages and rings. What else was he supposed to do?

Here is Gary talking about his life with CHE

https://youtu.be/S5OUt53-6YM

Being a pro fighter means also taking good care of yourself. A very dark and grim future lies ahead of those that arent true to themselves and cant accept the fact that they are not competitive anymore.

VoxPop

Wasn't a huge fan of Stann even though he is better than Goldberg and Anik. I'm hoping they go with the Rogan Cormier Cruz trio whenever possible. We get a lot of extra insight when these guys are at the booth.

Is it a real estate gig? I heard it was something for his charity for veterans

From his Instagram....

I am announcing my departure from calling fights w/ the UFC. I have been offered an amazing leadership role with a fast growing Real Estate Firm and will be attending Northwestern (Kellogg) for my executive MBA this fall. Thank you to everyone for years of support, especially the athletes and coaches whom I love deeply. I will continue to be a huge MMA supporter and attend many events. Thank you to everyone from FOX and Zuffa who helped me so much in this journey. @jon_anik you are my brother and that will never change, and I cannot tell you how important your friendship has been to me. My wife @teressa_stann who has endured so much and supported me through war, fighting, and now this transition, I love forever and thank you so much. This move is to focus more on my family. I traveled 26 weekends last year for work while also working a full time job. Transition and change are a part of life and I am really excited to prove my worth to my new company and hopefully showcase the diverse skills military veterans and mixed martial artists possess. Thank you all. - Brian

If the UFC pays its fighters like shit then you know guys like Stann are probably making peanuts if they'd rather work at some real estate company.

Fox318

If the UFC pays its fighters like shit then you know guys like Stann are probably making peanuts if they'd rather work at some real estate company.

Better to work at a place with a better schedule and where you can own a piece of it.

Plus with the next UFC deal they want to let the network handle the production side now that they don't have to sell the sport to people.

Top Bottom