• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom goes off on store clerk who made racist comment to her kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a woman not ashamed to be Black. Good for her. Not sure what "results" she expected prior to the cashier saying what she said.

What I mean to say is she went into that confrontation with the cashier post-racist comment looking to shut down her penchant for casual racism at the checkout counter and knew the appropriate approach to make that happen. Her approach has been questioned repeatedly in this thread.

I wonder if the cashier has a blog we can nitpick apart? Facebook page maybe?

Do you find it inappropriate to link that here? Her website was linked to in the video description.

What I mean to say is she went into that confrontation with the cashier post-racist comment looking to shut down her penchant for casual racism at the checkout counter and knew the appropriate approach to make that happen. Her approach has been questioned repeatedly in this thread.

Ah. gotcha.

Do you find it inappropriate to link that here? Her website was linked to in the video description.

Nah. Like I've been saying: I just wish more focus was on the cashier and not the mother. I think it's very telling that this continues to be the case in the thread.

Nah. Like I've been saying: I just wish more focus was on the cashier and not the mother. I think it's very telling that this continues to be the case in the thread.

Yeah, and I think you have a very good point there. Though, I think part of the issue is we don't really know anything about the cashier. She's totally anonymous beyond this instance of casual racism and the fact that she works at Family Dollar. We know nothing else about her and therefore there isn't much to discuss about her.

This is starting to hit the news, so hopefully that changes.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yeah, and I think you have a very good point there. Though, I think part of the issue is we don't really know anything about the cashier. She's totally anonymous beyond this instance of casual racism and the fact that she works at Family Dollar. We know nothing else about her and therefore there isn't much to discuss about her.

This is starting to hit the news, so hopefully that changes.
The internet always clamours for another life to ruin.

digdug2k

The internet always clamours for another life to ruin.
Well, I think its been made clear in here that this clerk at the Family Dollar has undoubtedly set out her life's goal to make sure she can make as many minorities as she can feel like lower lifeforms. Why else would she work at a Dollar Store in a predominantly black neighborhood without first studying to truly understand the cultures and customs of each individual person in the neighborhood).

Pluto

There's no reason to think that she knows it's any kind of ethnic clothing.

You're already starting from the assumption that she recognizes it's some form of ethnic clothing -- it's an unjustified assumption. There is no good reason to think that. Just because you recognize it as such doesn't mean others will.
Africa isn't on Mars and you don't have to be a fashion expert to recognize other cultures clothes as such.

But even if she genuinely didn't know, she absolutely knew that they weren't going trick or treating in mid september.

Spacebar

That's because her approach never resolved the issue. She didn't leave that situation feeling any better than when she entered it. The clerk was never eduacted on their clothes and why they're wearing them. Now that clerk will just go home and tell her friends that some crazy woman screamed at her during work. The hate will spread even further. The mother just uploaded the video to make her pop off feel more validated by the internet. This only leads to temporary fulfillment and she will just get angry at another situation later on.

This is on a individual basis and all of you are including the collective. Some of you blinded by hate and anger saying the mother has every right to go off on the clerk because she is a bigot. Your solution and hers is to just expose a racist to make yourself feel good. Then you will just move on to the next video that pops up. These solutions don't end racism. One day you will learn to actually talk to people and resolve issues instead of looking for internet approval of your actions or others.

Mr. X

That's because her approach never resolved the issue. She didn't leave that situation feeling any better than when she entered it. The clerk was never eduacted on their clothes and why they're wearing them. Now that clerk will just go home and tell her friends that some crazy woman screamed at her during work. The hate will spread even further. The mother just uploaded the video to make her pop off feel more validated by the internet. This only leads to temporary fulfillment and she will just get angry at another situation later on.

This is on a individual basis and all of you are including the collective. Some of you blinded by hate and anger saying the mother has every right to go off on the clerk because she is a bigot. Your solution and hers is to just expose a racist to make yourself feel good. Then you will just move on to the next video that pops up. These solutions don't end racism. One day you will learn to actually talk to people and resolve issues instead of looking for internet approval of your actions or others.
We've been talking for centuries. Best method is still making people uncomfortable and having it right out in the open for all to see, being hard to ignore.

MLK did it, protestors blocking streets and highways, Kap and other nfl players are doing it, this Mom did it by rubbing lady's nose in her own mess.

Keep complaining it's too loud and too rude though.

It's funny that you would post this in a thread of over 650 posts discussing the mother's actions. Not every post has been good but there are a lot of excellent posts in this thread. It's almost like talking, right now! I feel that some people have learned things. And that's just in this one thread on this one forum, and doesn't take into account the many thousand sets of eyes who have checked out the thread without saying anything. This is a discussion we wouldn't be having if Ms. Mabilijengo hadn't stood up for her children and her culture and shared it on the internet. And this discussion has value.

She can't win with everybody and I think she probably knew that. The cost of forcefully standing up to racism is that some will recoil from it. The fault in your argument is your lack of critical examination of desirable, realistic results...of what her goals might be here. "End racism" is not a realistic goal in this scenario. A better goal, one she is more likely to have considered, might be "show my children they do not have to put up with casual racism ever." Or "show Sandra the consequences of casual racism towards customers in this community." And so on. It's silly to expect more from her.

You're also making a lot of assumptions about what Sandra does after this is over which I don't think is really worth responding to. This, though:

This only leads to temporary fulfillment and she will just get angry at another situation later on.

No shit? Her website and blog make it abundantly clear that Ms. Mabilijengo is a tireless champion who will never, ever let casual racism slide. Good for her.

Murkas

Good on her.

I like how unless someone says nigger, it isn't racist going by what I've read in this thread.

It would be like me asking a Sikh wearing a turban "is it raining outside?" if he comes in my shop on a clear sunny day.

Insert that quantum locked racism post.

digdug2k

I like how unless someone says nigger, it isn't racist going by what I've read in this thread.
Stop making strawmen. No one has said that. They've said that the comment has to be racially motivated to be racist. That's the literal definition of racism.

Sande

Stop making strawmen. No one has said that. They've said that the comment has to be racially motivated to be racist. That's the literal definition of racism.
I wish everyone here understood this. And that bringing this up isn't harboring racists or condemning standing up to bigotry.

It's just stating a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom