• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More StarCraft Remastered Rumors, May-June Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

update

It's happening...

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20569786

Blizzard Entertainment is pleased to announce the 'I <3 StarCraft' event — a token of our appreciation for all our passionate fans around the globe — taking place on March 25 live in Korea, the capital of StarCraft. President and CEO Mike Morhaime will be on hand to extend his personal thanks to this amazing community.

---------------------------------

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/520049-starcraft-remastered-coming-in-may

Sports Seoul is reporting that according to industry sources, Blizzard is aiming to release an updated version of the original StarCraft around May-June of this year.

Called "StarCraft: Remastered," the remake is set to feature high-resolution graphics, as well as an updated Battle.net service. Gameplay would not be changed from the original StarCraft: Brood War.

According to Sports Seoul, Blizzard secretly revealed details on SC: Remastered to industry insiders at BlizzCon 2016, focusing on esports broadcasters and sponsors.

Blizzard is aiming to make the official announcement in Korea, which may even come as soon as next week according to Sports Seoul. May-June is said to be planned timing of release, with talks ongoing with partners for large scale ceremonies/events at launch.

some more rumblings here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/5z9z22/brood_war_remastered_to_be_unveiled_soon/

Dsyndrome

They're not going to trot out the excuse that the old games "just aren't fun nowadays" like they did with the old Warcrafts?

SC2 seemed to have been met with a big shrug in South Korea (I was living there at the time of it's release). That's a pretty big indication of how inconsequential that game felt.

Make a remake will be far better received.

I can't wait for them to reveal that it's just the SC1 "campaign" (but butchered of content to the point of being almost unrecognizable) in SC2 with a filter on top.

But I would like to see this, if it is actually true.

Mr Swine

Banned
I can't wait for them to reveal that it's just the SC1 "campaign" (but butchered of content to the point of being almost unrecognizable) in SC2 with a filter on top.

But I would like to see this, if it is actually true.

I would buy if it was a high res 2D Starcraft or SC using the SC2 engine

They're not going to trot out the excuse that the old games "just aren't fun nowadays" like they did with the old Warcrafts?

I mean with the old Warcrafts they *kinda* have a point. Those games don't really hold up without nostalgia

Starcraft is timeless tho. I hope this is true

Wedzi

Banned
Please be true. I came into Starcraft late in life and Starcraft 2 is in my top five all time. Would love to play a remaster

CmdBash

A lot of people wishing for a remaster only to find out when they get the game, that it requires a baseline of a couple hundred apm to even considered barely competent.

I would buy if it was a high res 2D Starcraft or SC using the SC2 engine

There's already a fan mod out there for the campaign Starcraft: Mass Recall https://www.sc2mapster.com/projects/starcraft-mass-recall. Comes complete with all the original cinematics and voice acting.

duckroll

Sc2 3d graphics engine aint that good looking, while sc1 2d graphics still hold up today.

Errr... not really. It's not like SC1 was hand drawn or anything. It was pre-rendered sprites at low-ass resolution. It looks pretty awful upscaled on modern displays. SC2 is really close in terms of graphical assets, except they are actually 3D so it doesn't look like dogshit at high resolutions.

Maybe a console port is possible since the game isnt limited by n64 level hardware anymore. Would deff grab it on xb1 if that was possible (will likely buy on pc either way assuming the price is right and it looks like the community is going to be solid).

KarmaCow

A lot of people wishing for a remaster only to find out when they get the game, that it requires a baseline of a couple hundred apm to even considered barely competent.

I'd wager the people who are dying for a remaster are more interested in the campaign than anything even approaching competitive multiplayer.

Also are there any good breakdowns of Starcraft 2's decline in popularity? I'm guessing that MOBAs eating its lunch was a big part of it but I'd like more details.

Laieon

SC2 seemed to have been met with a big shrug in South Korea (I was living there at the time of it's release). That's a pretty big indication of how inconsequential that game felt.

Make a remake will be far better received.

As someone who has lived here for the past 3 years, I'm not too sure. Starcraft is pretty dead here overall, the vast majority of people in PC bangs are playing Overwatch or League of Legends. I don't see see a Starcraft remake making that big of a dent in the market, but who knows.

Sc2 3d graphics engine aint that good looking, while sc1 2d graphics still hold up today.

See, I think the opposite. As someone who never played SC1 before playing SC2 (I was much, much more of an AoE and AoM guy), I think SC1 looks really awful and just doesn't feel that great to play. I think SC2 looks alright, nothing too special though. Might just be me not being too big of a fan of scifi.

Maybe a console port is possible since the game isnt limited by n64 level hardware anymore. Would deff grab it on xb1 if that was possible (will likely buy on pc either way assuming the price is right and it looks like the community is going to be solid).

lol. You cant play it on consoles and controllers man. The times where such a mess as putting Starcraft on a console could happen were times when the mindset was "it doesnt actually really work and it plays like shit, but lets port this M/KB desinged PC game to a console anyway". No serious company is gonna do something like this today, let alone one like Blizzard.

CmdBash

I'd wager the people who are dying for a remaster are more interested in the campaign than anything even approaching competitive multiplayer.

Also are there any good breakdowns of Starcraft 2's decline in popularity? I'm guessing that MOBAs eating its lunch was a big part of it but I'd like more details.

I'd imagine it'll still be quite hard and intuitive to macro/micro in the campaign as well.

The decline of sc2's popularity was probably due to a lot of factors:
  • As you said, the MOBA genre is much more mechanically accessible for people
  • Blizzard being slow to patch the game in times of great competitive imbalance/staleness
  • Not implementing and improving features like co-op or arcade quickly enough in its early days to capture the casual audience
  • "Faceless" korean players winning all the tournaments, protection of the 'foreign' (non-korean) scene came too late
  • Blizzard's lawsuit battle against Kespa resulting in a late switch from Brood War to SC2 in south korea, allowing league of legends to fill in that gap
  • Matchfixing scandal involving the best player in the world at the time
  • List goes on and on; a lot of things went wrong
If they had released the game in its current state on release I'd say it would've fared much much better.

Fancolors

Oooh, I remember rumors of a remastered BW was happening and the announcement was going to be on the last Blizzcon. I was pretty disappointed when they turned out to be false. Hope this one is true.

I'd be interested in playing a remastered StarCraft: BW, but I have only a couple requests: keep the old voice acting intact, and keep the campaign missions as they were(as in don't change objectives or map layouts, though I can accept minor changes like resource and base layout).

If those two things are left unchanged, then I will be a very happy camper.

Nozem

Sweet! Hope they improve the terrible pathfinding though, that was a chore to deal with.

And personally I'd also like to see the 12 unit selection limit gone. But I guess the hardcore won't stand for that.

If the online player base is there im fucking in. The last truly great game blizzard has made before they started pandering to participarion trophy casuals

Syf

Banned
I want to believe but I got crushed last year getting my hopes up from the rumors. Instant buy if it does happen.

There's already a fan mod out there for the campaign Starcraft: Mass Recall https://www.sc2mapster.com/projects/starcraft-mass-recall. Comes complete with all the original cinematics and voice acting.

Zomg god forbid a game actually require skill. Oh nooooze!!!!!1!1!1!1!1

Really think StarCraft II WoL and HotS were great. I think I can't get back to that hideously uncomformtable UI and controls of BroodWars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom