• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More StarCraft Remastered Rumors, May-June Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

wonder if they will add the improved SC2 controls

SC1 would prolly be heavily changed if they allowed the bigger groups from SC2, and the fast selection of unique units in a group too

doubt they will do it but it could be interesting

giphy.gif

h0mebas3

For someone who has never played StarCraft, what's the best way to get into it? Any good online resources suggested by the community?

Prelude.

For someone who has never played StarCraft, what's the best way to get into it? Any good online resources suggested by the community?
Assuming you're interested in the campaigns, if you don't want to play the original, you can play a fanmade "remaster" of SC1, called "StarCraft: Mass Recall" created with the SC2 editor. It's basically a 1:1 replica of the original with the addition of some original ingame cutscenes, but you can also choose to use some Brood War tech even in the vanilla game (like medics for example). The SC2 starter edition (the free trial) comes with the editor so you can play SCMR even if you didn't buy SC2.

If you exclusively care about the SC1 story you can also watch it on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF9226B77F797043B

As for SC2, the digital Battle Chest (including all 3 games) is currently on sale for $/€30, but you can also find it physically for about $/€35 on Amazon, just make sure you buy the second Battle Chest with all 3 games, not the one with only the first 2.

18-Volt

This needs to be on iPad. After playing Heroes Remastered of iPad, I want more PC strategy classics on iPad. They play perfectly.

JCX

If this is real my friends and I are gonna go crazy. Not all of us got into 2, but we played a ton in high school and college.

Draft

It will be fun to watch pros play and I'll fuck around with it, but there is no going back to manually directing each and every worker to a mineral patch or refinery.

Pooya

It begins!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20569786

I <3 StarCraft event in Korea.

Blizzard Entertainment is pleased to announce the 'I <3 StarCraft' event &#8212; a token of our appreciation for all our passionate fans around the globe &#8212; taking place on March 25 live in Korea, the capital of StarCraft. President and CEO Mike Morhaime will be on hand to extend his personal thanks to this amazing community.

It's happening, Morhaime isn't going to Korea to just thank people.

Alavard

Instead of a full Diablo remaster, we got a single dungeon 'recreating' the original one from Diablo in Diablo 3 for a limited time.

Keep your expectations in check.

Instead of a full Diablo remaster, we got a single dungeon 'recreating' the original one from Diablo in Diablo 3 for a limited time.

Keep your expectations in check.

I'm excited but i'm fully prepared for the fact that it won't happen. I desperately want a remake of diablo 1 and 2, WC2 and SC1 but i have no expectations that they will ever happen. If any of them do happen i'll be there day 1.

nkarafo

The first Starcraft has a more "cold" metallic looking art style. I hope they won't make it like WoW.

Also, the music. Are they going to remaster it? I would prefer it if it was the same, just at higher quality.

rrs

A walmart near me had starcraft+brood war battle chest on sale for $9, I wonder if I was lucky deciding to not jump in

If the remaster doesn't replicate the weird, unintentional interactions/pathfinding that form the basis of professional expertise and balance in South Korea, we could be in for a mess: professional Brood War made a huge comeback this year (almost wholly on the return of retired superstars from the close of the 2000s) and I certainly expect Blizzard to push broadcasting partners like AfreecaTV to move to the new software. And if the players don't make the jump, the resurgent BW scene will come apart again, though obviously this won't affect the bottom line of sales to people who just want to relive the campaigns on modern systems without compatibility/display issues. (Mac support, for instance, was deprecated years ago when Apple dropped Carbon support for pre-OS X software.)

Best-case scenario: plays just like the original mechanically, but with modern networking support, observer/replay features, and SC2-level automatic matchmaking. (I wouldn't count on old-school IP-to-IP LAN, though, and in fact expect its absence to be the foundation of backlash and outrage out of proportion to the players actually affected.)

Rebuilding SC1/BW in the SC2 engine (like modders have already done), for all the convenience and accessibility of its modern UI conveniences, is not what people want, any more than playing as Roy in SSB4 is a substitute for Melee. Sprites in HD and modern Battle.net are as far as they should go.

Pooya

A walmart near me had starcraft+brood war battle chest on sale for $9, I wonder if I was lucky deciding to not jump in

I would get it, if they stop selling the original after this, which seems probable, it could see a increase in value.

I wonder how this will compare to the excellent Mass Recall remakes of the original six campaigns, plus the Insurrection Mission.

Syf

Banned
It begins!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20569786

I <3 StarCraft event in Korea.

It's happening, Morhaime isn't going to Korea to just thank people.
Oh man so it's (probably) actually happening then. Hell yeah! I still prefer watching Brood War competition to SC2, just that it's never on at a decent time and the graphics could use an update (though I do like the style). I hope they're going to try to revitalize the Brood War scene even more than what's already happening in Korea. Really excited to see what they have to show. It would be easy for them to screw it up too though lol, imagine if they put DK in charge or something. Just give us Brood War with some modernizations to the UI and resolutions and I'll be happy. Go too far with changes and the community will reject it altogether.

Also I wonder if it will have LAN support lol

Also, the music. Are they going to remaster it? I would prefer it if it was the same, just at higher quality.
They actually did already remaster the music. It's available in SC2.

Wedge7

Hrm, interesting.

This shit was rumored for a while, but this looks like a pretty credible idea at this point. Hopefully as Stats raises the GSL trophy, as sOO comes in with yet another silver medal, we'll be talking about how BW remastered or updated looks awesome and talk about potential release dates. Could ride the recent wave of BW getting more popular with Afreeca and all the OG's like Flash returning and owning, especially as SC2 looks like its on the down swing.

Syf

Banned
I never played Brood War's multiplayer, but I played a ton of SCII's. Wonder how much time it would take me to adjust.
Depends how much they decide to change. If it plays just like the original, the mechanics are quite a bit tougher.

Jaraghan

God damn this is exciting. I spent an ungodly amount of time playing custom Starcraft Broodwar games. I never was interested in the competitive scene, but I would play Cat n Mouse, Volcano Run, Golems, any tower defense games, RPG games, and more.

Mifec

I have no hope in Blizzard managing this correctly after all their SC2 fiascos and not listening to the userbase. Hopefully it turns out great.

zer0das

Banned
Honestly, I'd probably play 20 bucks so I didn't have to connect to another player's game before joining my buddy's hosted game. That's literally all I want at this point.

Sc2 3d graphics engine aint that good looking, while sc1 2d graphics still hold up today.

Not really. I went back to SC1 a few weeks ago. It holds up I guess. But going from SC2 back to SC1 you realize how much you mix up the two games and misremember how the first one looked.

And mechanics-wise there is a lot of QoL stuff you always thought was in SC1, but was actually introduced in Brood War and SC2.

kasane

inb4 they remove the nan janky pathing, 12 unit cotrol groups

brood war balance was a fluke that hinged on the mechanics, its gonna be funny if blizzard fucks this up

TheTrain

The first Starcraft has a more "cold" metallic looking art style. I hope they won't make it like WoW.

The music is already in Starcraft II, the original one just at higher quality!

Will dragoons with good pathing completely break the game?

Also hoping Blizz relents on their terrible no LAN philosophy but this is the game that put them on that road so I am not holding my breath.

Neptonic

Shit I just realized I hate the dragoon model in SC2
It makes sense in SC2
In SC1 I never understood what I was looking at and that was way more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom