• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

8S8ZkrN.png

ewfn0q0.png

Fueled by next-gen technology, Mortal Kombat X combines unparalleled, cinematic presentation with dynamic gameplay to create an unprecedented Kombat experience.
For the first time ever, Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style.
And with a new fully-connected gameplay experience, players are launched into a persistent online contest where every fight matters in a global battle for supremacy.
Players step into an original story showcasing some of the game’s most prolific characters including Scorpion and Sub-Zero, while introducing new challengers that represent the forces of good and evil and tie the tale together.

Pre load on xbox one and ps4 is live

PC requirements:
Minimum:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
  • Memory: 3 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 | AMD Radeon HD 5850
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space

Recommended:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon HD 7950
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 40 GB available space

gRrZnds.png

Patch v 1.01 (1.8GB)-DAY ONE
• Improved online stability.
• Multiplayer invite improvements.
• Gameplay fixes and balancing.
• Localized language fixes.
• Bug fixes.

April 18th 2015
kK1eEq4.jpg

j6iBDqk.png

Lets play with each other. Quote to reveal google dok.

If you're playing on ps4 make sure to include your region as the game is region locked.

click for info

QFrh1fR.png

All ps3 fight sticks are compatible with ps4 thanks to lab zeroes. Xbox 360 sticks are not compatible with xbox one

• Officially licensed
  • Arcade style micro-switch fight pad
  • Backward compatible with Xbox 360
  • Six button arcade style layout
  • Low profile View and Menu buttons
Available for $49.99. Amazon

OyZtvvU.png

icXl7FZ.png
mdOkejS.png
Ftsx0k5.png
gqDejiD.png
BD0wSqv.png
LVcOKZ5.png
nIgIL4A.png
k4G5DAe.png
M31gUMw.png
COYz1nQ.png
plEHS4D.png
2mPsICe.png

EXJn7AQ.png

Kombat pack (includes all dlc- $30)

04/26 – MASKDMURDER Pack- Jason
05/10 – Klassic Pack #1- Tremor
05/24 – HUNTERPREY Pack- Predator
06/07 – Klassic Pack #2- Tanya

Skin Packs:
  • Samurai Pack (includes Samurai Shinnok, Ronin Kenshi, and Jingu Kitana)
  • Ultimate Horror Pack (includes Vampiress Mileena, Kraken Reptile, and Pharaoh Ermac)
  • Klassic Pack #1 (includes Klassic Sonya, Klassic Liu Kang, and Klassic Kano)
  • Predator and Prey Pack (includes Infared Scorpion, Commando Johnny, and Carl Weathers as Dillon)
  • Klassic Pack #2 (includes Klassic Jax, Klassic Kung Lao, and Klassic Quan Chi)
  • Pre order the game to get Goro. Available for purchase day one( price unknown).
You can try dlc characters through the challenge tower(There are three different Towers that rotate out regularly, and one of these--the Premiere Tower--will sometimes feature a DLC character).

Getting the season pass gets you all content a week early.

utd3x7r.png

Story mode:
A direct continuation of mortal kombat 9, but the timespan it crosses is 25 years in length.
There are periods that are directly after MK9,then there are periods that are five, ten, 15 and 20 years out.
A lot of the events take place 25 years after where we see older versions of the characters, like Johnny Cage.

Arcade ladder:
The Arcade Ladder (also called Arcade Mode) is a single player game mode in the form of a ladder of kombatants where the player must face up to reach the final boss.

Faction war:
Provides a persistent battle for supremacy across every platform Mortal Kombat X is coming to.
When players start the game they must choose a faction(Lin kui, black dragon,white lotus, special forces and the brotherhood of shadow).
Each week, players choose one of five factions to represent, and then participate in various challenges, such as winning a match without ducking, or performing a certain number of X-Ray attacks.
At the end of the week, the faction with the most points wins, and each participating member earns rewards such as faction-specific finishing moves.
Faction War is platform agnostic, so PC, PlayStation and Xbox owners all play together.

Test your luck:
The chosen character must spin a set number of slot-machine style reels (between three and seven) which will first determine their opponent, and then various added status effects, such as poison, armor, increased time, decreased time, or headlessness.
The opponent must then be defeated with the imposed handicaps and/or benefits.

Kustom kombat:
Kustom Kombat is similar to Test Your Luck, only instead of randomized modifiers, players get to select two of their own modifiers from a long list.

Test your might:
Test Your Might is a mini-game that first appeared in the original Mortal Kombat as an interlude between battles, similar to breaking.
The minigame consists of the player's character standing above one of five blocks of increasing hardness, depending on how far the player has progressed in Test Your Might.
The player would have to hammer multiple buttons until the gauge next to their character passed a certain point, and then would have to press the Block button to strike.

Living towers:
Similar to challenge towers, but they are online only.
Living Towers is split into three tiers: Quick Tower, Daily Tower and Premier Tower. Quick Tower offers five challenges that revolve around a specific modifier.
Daily Tower resets every 24 hours. With eight challenges, Daily Tower offers a longer and harder experience, as well as bonus rewards, such as an experience point boost gain.
And finally, there's the Premier Tower, which runs for a week before being reset. This 15 challenge tower is built around special events and offers the toughest Living Towers experience.

The krypt:
The Krypt is a special feature of the Mortal Kombat games series that made its debut in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
It also appears in Mortal Kombat: Deception, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, and Mortal Kombat (2011).
It is where you use the Koins you collect as you play in order to purchase items such as concept art, videos, and even hidden Fatalities and new characters.
The krpt is played form a first person perspective in MKX in a maze like setting. Players will earn koins, which they can spend on unlockables (art, fatlaties etc).

Online:
The standard 1v1 is back in MKX. Players battle it out in matches consisting of two rounds.
King of the hill is also back in MKX , in this mode eight players join a room, two fight while the others watch, if you win you keep on fighting, if you lose you go in the back of the queue.
You can also choose to back one of the players fighting by betting on who's going to win or cheering.
New to online is the quitality. When oponents rage quit their head explodes and you win the match.
There are rooms players can join, this is a good option for new comers as there are rooms dedicated to noobs.
Team battle (5v5) and survival mode return.

NdsJsMD.png

The variation system:
Character Variations are a new game mechanic introduced in Mortal Kombat X.
Each character (by default) will have 3 variations of themselves that players can choose from when selecting a character.
Variations can include a unique set of attacks, special moves and weapons that are only exclusive to that variation.
For a full list of variations click here.

X-ray:
They are moves that cause a large amount of damage, comparable to "Super Moves" found in various other fighting games.
True to their name, these moves consist of a short sequence of attacks that zoom in on the target with an X-Ray and displays bones and organs being crushed, smashed and snapped, dealing massive damage.

Stamina meter:
The game also introduces the "Stamina Meter".
The stamina meter is located below the characters' health bars.
The stamina meter has two bars which are used when the player does certain things (however, not all actions use a whole bar of the stamina meter).
Dashing, for an example, uses stamina.
Running from some of the past Mortal Kombat games also makes a return, and drains the stamina meter. Interactables from NetherRealm Studio's previous game, Injustice: Gods Among Us, are also in MKX.
One block of stamina is used if the characters use an interactable and they will gain all of their stamina back by not doing any actions that use stamina for a few seconds.

Fatalities:
Fatalities return in MKX and they are as brutal as ever.
Input a sequence of attacks at the end of a match to initiate them.
Easy fatalities are new to MKX. All the player has to do is hold the block button and input one attack.

Brutalities:
Brutalities make a return in Mortal Kombat X.
The Brutalities are now depicted as a combo finisher, and can be only be done if player's combo is done on an opponent that is low on health, during the final round.
The sequence will alter the player's original combo-ending attack with a more lethal-finishing move which finishes off the opponent in a more violent fashion similar to a Fatality.
Specific requirements must be met to perform brutalities.

Super meter:
The "Super Meter" from Mortal Kombat (2011) also makes a return in MKX.
Just like in MK 2011, the player can gain up to three blocks of super meter, by either taking damage, or by doing special moves.
One block of the super meter can be used to "Enhance" special moves. Enhancing special moves may increase the damage of the attack, do additional hits, add special properties and so on.
By using two bars of super meter, the character can preform a "Breaker". Breakers allow interuption of an opponent's combo, pushing them away.
Using all three bars of super meter allows the use of the "X-Ray"

The kombat:
Like all past games in the main series, Mortal Kombat X uses 4 buttons for attacks.Back Punch, Front Punch, Back Kick, and Front Kick.
Every character has combos that they can do by pressing a certain button sequence (a list of combos and other types of attacks can be found under the "Movelist" while paused in-game).
Players can extend their combos even more by juggling their opponent while they are in the air.
The game also implements new mechanics never seen before in mortal kombat such as delayed wake ups.

Interactables:
You can use items in the stage against the opponent. For example, you can jump off a car to get away or crack the opponents skull open with a pipe. Using a interactable takes away a bar of super meter.

BbR8jSO.png

Comic:
CloCMmf.jpg

The storyline of the comic takes place after the events of Mortal Kombat's rebooted timeline, and follows the events of both featured characters in Mortal Kombat X and characters from Mortal Kombat's long history, showing their place in the new timeline and revealing their ultimate fates.
They are available for purchase here.

Screenshots:
en7sH8u.jpg
nJTrOQ2.jpg
DmZyTAP.jpg
fVTwr9j.jpg
iNKP81M.jpg
h7e5m3r.jpg

Videos:
First 25 minutes of the story
Superior launch trailer
Launch trailer
Cage family trailer
Story trailer
kollectors edition unboxing
Shaolin monks trailer

Resources:
http://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm -Tyler and Derek host a show every Thursday, and its pretty entertaining. Keep an eye on this channel as they will revel dlc character gameplay.

http://testyourmight.com/forums/ -This forum is where you go if you are interested in learning combos and character match ups.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/- One of the few active mortal kombat kommunities.

Beginners guide
First thing is to understand some terminology and notation. Here is a list of fighting game terminology. You don't need to know all of it as some of it is not important or does not apply to MKX, but most of the general terms would be good to know.
Input notation for Mortal Kombat consists of 1, 2, 3, 4, and MB. Other symbols used are "~" and "xx" which signify a "cancel" which I'll discuss later.
1 = X for Xbox, Square for PS = Front Punch
2 = Y, Triangle = Back Punch
3 = A, X = Front Kick
4 = B, Circle = Back Kick
EX = EX version of special move (costs meter)
f = forward
b = back
u = up
d = down
I'm not sure what the inputs are for special moves (moves that consist of 2 or more directional inputs) in MKX, but a likely example would be something like 'df1' (down then forward then 1) for Sub-Zero's Ice Ball. An example of a short combo into Sub-Zero's Ice Ball would be 123~df1. The 123 is a string or target combo. A string is a unique series of attacks that only occur when a series of buttons are pressed in quick succession. Strings are often easy to do as the window for the successive inputs are often very large. So for the 123~df1 example, on the last hit of the string you would input Sub-Zero's Ice Ball and it will cancel the animation of the last hit of the string and go into Sub-Zero's Ice Ball.
Attacks that combo but are not a string or involve a cancel are called links and are signified by a ",". So a simple example of a link in MKX would be "d2, d2". d2 is an uppercut that is well known across Mortal Kombat games, it pops people up and allows for a combo. If you hit someone with a d2 and then do another d2, that is considered a link as you did not cancel the first d2. The animation of the first d2 finished and then you did another d2.
It is important to know this information because combos are a critical part of fighting games, they allow you to dish out far more damage than single attacks. You must learn what the best combos are for your character as you will need to use them a lot. These go-to combos are called "BnBs" which stands for "Bread and Butter." BnB combos are the optimized, standard combos (that people discover) that any given character should use in a specific situation. For example, Sub-Zero might have a BnB that starts with a low attack (must be blocked crouching), and a different BnB that starts with an overhead attack (must be blocked standing). Don't worry about trying to find these optimized bnbs as others will find them and they will become well known and shared fairly quickly.
Once you've understood everything up to this point, you can go into training mode and start learning your character.
The basics steps to getting better are:
1) Learn your character's inputs. Know what each button does, the speed and range of each attack, and be able to perform each attack without thinking about the inputs. This includes their special attacks, strings, and normal attacks (attacks that consist of a single button press only. "command normals" consist of one directional input and a single button press).
2) Get a feel for their movement. Become familiar with their walkspeeds moving forwards and backwards, and also their jump arc.
3) Learn the character's BnBs and practice the living hell out of them. Start with one and once you can do that at least 9 out of 10 times then learn another one. To learn what a character's bnb is you can search/ask here or go to Test Your Might which has a very active competitive forum for MKX.
4) Learn to block. Seriously, there's a block button, use it. For some reason new players always forget that blocking is a thing.
5) Play as many matches as you can. Once you understand the character's moveset and can perform their combos, you can start figuring out how to use the character in a real match. You'll probably lose a lot but that's ok and expected. Do not care about losing, care only about learning and figuring out how to deal with your opponent. After a match think, "what could I have done better?"
6) Learn what is safe and unsafe. See here to understand how frame data works. This part can get boring and tedious for some people, but you really don't need to memorize a bunch of numbers. All you need to know is what is negative enough on block such that you get a free hit. Scorpion's spear is very negative on block, and at close range it is extremely unsafe. If you block it you will recover from block stun far sooner than Scorpion will recover from his animation, meaning you have all that time to get a free hit on him and start a combo. This is suuuper important because you won't get anywhere if you let people walk all over you with unsafe moves.
H5ixgXv.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1028530

JayEH

Nice OT hammer.

Region locking on PS4 really turned me off on picking this up right away but the game looks hype as hell!

Kinsei

Banned
Great OT!

I can't wait to get my hands on the game. This has the best set of newcomers in a MK game IMO.

Salsa

dont think i'll be there day 1 after 9/Injustice PC online performance and the region lock MP announcement

but, im looking forward to eventually getting it and playing it

Riptwo

I'm getting Mortal Monday flashbacks in the best possible way. While I wait for the game to ship, is it worth checking out the new comics?

Khezu

The DLC dates are probably not accurate.

One of the devs posted a picture of a grain of salt in the TYM thread dealing with it.

Smokey

if gamefly doesn't send my copy tomorrow despite my q being empty with nothing but mkx in it for a week...i rage

impact

Banned
if gamefly doesn't send my copy tomorrow despite my q being empty with nothing but mkx in it for a week...i rage

this + cancel Gamefly and write in the message "shoulda sent me MK fuckers"

I really don't have the cash to pay $60 for this right now. PLEASE DONT FAIL ME GAMEFLY.

RM8

lol hope my PC kan run this
I'm getting a new PC in ~1.5 weeks... yet I'm still downloading this to my current PC at launch, out of sheer curiosity. It struggles with MK9 depending on the settings, it's going to be interesting playing MKX on it :p

I wonder why they region locked the game on PS4...

Hoping that the netcode is sufficient to grind out some ranked battles, otherwise this will be one to take out when a bunch of friends are over.

Top Bottom